• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Update Norton 360 V5.2.0.13

Hey I pressed Liveupdate a few times and my Version is still 5.1.0.29...

I rebooted and its still 5.1.0.29     :(

How I update manually???  (Norton 360 Brazil)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Update Norton 360 V5.2.0.13

Hi,

Please be more specific:.

1. Which update? Do you mean LiveUpdate?

2. Or what is "the" update?

So far I have been informed that Norton 360 version 5.2.0.13 is only available after performing a LiveUpdate from version 5.1.0.29.

Also be more specific with: "it will require a download, reboot, andother download and a reboot":

3. What will be downloaded (N360-ESD-18-6-029-EN.exe or another language version)?

4. Where or how do you get that download?

5. Does "download, reboot" mean execute the download and, after installation of Norton 360reboot?

6. Does "andother download and a reboot" mean download N360-ESD-18-6-029-EN (or another language version) again and overwrite the existing version? Or just execute the previous version of step 3 and, after installation of Norton 360, reboot?

Where exactly in these steps 1-6 do you get Norton 360 version 5.2.0.13 without doing a LiveUpdate?

Which additional steps can one undertake to verify that the downloads and reboots have the desired effects?

Before doing any download, I would suggest look at the directory "C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine" and verify that directory 5.1.0.29 is present.

Suppose that your solution has succeeded. Will the directory 5.1.0.29 be removed then and the directory 5.2.0.13 be present?

So far, I have only seen the co-existence of directories 5.1.0.29 and 5.2.0.13 (after I did several LiveUpdates with version 5.1.029); and version 5.1.0.29 is then the acting version.

Kudos0

GH55 wrote:

Hi,

Please be more specific:.

1. Which update? Do you mean LiveUpdate?

2. Or what is "the" update?

So far I have been informed that Norton 360 version 5.2.0.13 is only available after performing a LiveUpdate from version 5.1.0.29.

Also be more specific with: "it will require a download, reboot, andother download and a reboot":

3. What will be downloaded (N360-ESD-18-6-029-EN.exe or another language version)?

4. Where or how do you get that download?

5. Does "download, reboot" mean execute the download and, after installation of Norton 360reboot?

6. Does "andother download and a reboot" mean download N360-ESD-18-6-029-EN (or another language version) again and overwrite the existing version? Or just execute the previous version of step 3 and, after installation of Norton 360, reboot?

Where exactly in these steps 1-6 do you get Norton 360 version 5.2.0.13 without doing a LiveUpdate?

Which additional steps can one undertake to verify that the downloads and reboots have the desired effects?

Before doing any download, I would suggest look at the directory "C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine" and verify that directory 5.1.0.29 is present.

Suppose that your solution has succeeded. Will the directory 5.1.0.29 be removed then and the directory 5.2.0.13 be present?

So far, I have only seen the co-existence of directories 5.1.0.29 and 5.2.0.13 (after I did several LiveUpdates with version 5.1.029); and version 5.1.0.29 is then the acting version.

The message above is in reply to the message of guru Yank, who wrote 02-09-2012:

"For those of you just receiving the update - it will require a download, reboot, andother download and a reboot as svirus said."

Kudos0

@ GH55,

I am sorry you did not relieze folks were talikng about running LiveUpdates throughout this thread, and I was replying to the two previous posts in which it was clearly stated running LiveUpdate.

Kudos0

@ Yank,

Thank you.

Please be also more specific on the download, reboot issues mentioned in my message.

Kudos0

@ GH55,

Here are the two offical links from our admin that explains the 2 step update process currently in progress:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Product-Update-5-2-0-13-for-Norton-360-version-5-January-30th/td-p/647413

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Firefox-10-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/648245

Please read the above and then let us know if you have any more questions.

Kudos0

yank wrote:

@ GH55,

Here are the two offical links from our admin that explains the 2 step update process currently in progress:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Product-Update-5-2-0-13-for-Norton-360-version-5-January-30th/td-p/647413

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Firefox-10-Support-for-Norton-Toolbar/td-p/648245

Please read the above and then let us know if you have any more questions.

The directive in the first official link deals with only one LiveUpdate or download. In the message where you react on a message of svirus, there is also another download/LiveUpdate and another reboot.

My issue with this directive and your directive is that after running the LiveUpdate to collect version 5.2.0.13  and performing a reboot, Norton 360 will show a greyed checkmark. Therefore, running a second LiveUpdate is not possible.  

Moreover, I get annoying errors which One Click Support, your Norton Support Team including supervisors, and a Symantec Engineering Support team member cannot solve.

In short: errors like 3052,2 (most frequent) or 8040,104, or 3040,20063 and 3040,2011. These errors depend on which actions have been performed while Removing and Reinstalling Norton 360 (with the Norton Removal Tool, or Norton Remove and Reinstall)  and whether or not a full system can has been finished.

Note that the Symantec Engineer has deleted all kinds of traces of previously installed antivirus, anti-malware, and firewall software. Also Norton Power Eraser has been used. So, all this is not the problem. I have the errors since the announcement in the first official link, starting from 31 January.

Once the LiveUpdate has been performed and the reboot is done, I have two engine directories (5.1.0.29 and 5.2.0.13).

I think that these two engines are competing and therefore cause the errors. And these two engines maybe also (occasionally) cause Blue Screens of Death, because they want to write to the same memory page.

I make a system restore repoint after each reinstall. I use system restore in safe mode and Intelligent Updates to restore to a working version 5.1.0.29 and make my virus definitions current.

The directive in the second offical link deals with an issue of the Norton toolbar in Firefox. Since I don't have Firefox installed, this directive is not applicable for me.

I hope that Norton/Symantec will come with a correct directive and that  I don't have to wait until version 6 is released.

Kudos0

GH55,

I am really having problems following your posting and as I am not the Symantec Engineer who did what you say, nor do I know what traces of what software he deleted, do not what you expect rom me.    Also once you bring System Restore into the equation, things really get complicated.

I have checked and the only engine I stil lhave listed is the most current.  Even checking prervious editions, only produces the current engine 5.2.0.13 although a number of days ago. I don't really know what is exactly going on with your system, but I figure it would not hurt to remove the 5.1.0.29 engine directory (if that is possible).  I fugure the worse that can happen is that nothing works and you have to reinstall N 360 again.

I am sorry I am not more help.

Kudos0

I believe it is normal to have the two differently numbered engine versions in the program files until the final update and reboot have been done.  Because of the way the update process works, the old file is not removed until the new engine is fully installed.  Yank is correct that if you run a System Restore before the new version has successfully installed, which could require multiple updates and restarts, it could really mess up the process.

Kudos0

SendOfJive wrote:

I believe it is normal to have the two differently numbered engine versions in the program files until the final update and reboot have been done.  Because of the way the update process works, the old file is not removed until the new engine is fully installed.  Yank is correct that if you run a System Restore before the new version has successfully installed, which could require multiple updates and restarts, it could really mess up the process.

@SendOfjive and Yank,

Using a system restore to go back to a functioning version 5.1.0.29 of Norton 360 is the only option to avoid performing the time consuming process of a removal and reinstall of Norton 360.

As posted already: on my system the installation of the new version of Norton 360 fails after running a LiveUpdate and doing the first of the multiple restarts. The failed update process cannot be finished, because Norton 360 ís no more active. The update process yields an unprotected system (no firewall, no antivrus).

So, if Norton 360 doesn't successfully install the new version and ends up with an unprotected system, I cannot agree that a system restore will mess up an otherwise failing process.

To conclude, the way the Norton 360 update process works is, to my humble opinion, not something which deserves a price of quality.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.