• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Portable Restore ARestore.exe

I came across a reference a Portable Restore utility in N360V3 which allows a N360 backup set located on an portable drive to be restored to a different computer even one without N360 installed.

Here is the link at Norton 

http://www.symantec.com/norton360/buzz/blogs.jsp

The utility is supposed to be copied to the portable drive when the backup is created.

I can't get backup to work for me, N360 won't recognize the backup it created, has anyone seen Portable Restore or ARestore.exe?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Portable Restore ARestore.exe

I came across a reference a Portable Restore utility in N360V3 which allows a N360 backup set located on an portable drive to be restored to a different computer even one without N360 installed.

Here is the link at Norton 

http://www.symantec.com/norton360/buzz/blogs.jsp

The utility is supposed to be copied to the portable drive when the backup is created.

I can't get backup to work for me, N360 won't recognize the backup it created, has anyone seen Portable Restore or ARestore.exe?

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Portable Restore ARestore.exe

ARestore.exe can be found in the N360 install directory.

C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\3.0.0.134

(the last directory might have different numbers depending on your liveupdate history)

In order for it to function properly, you will also need the resource file ARestore.loc from 

C:\Program Files\Norton 360\MUI\3.0.0.134\09\01

You can copy them to the root directory of your backup drive, and run Arestore.exe.

If it still fails to find your backup set, you probably have a corrupt catalog file.  To fix this, go to your backup drive, go into the N360_BACKUP folder.  Inside should be one or more folders with a long, ugly, alphaneumeric name. 

(e.g. {5ABC34AE-1037-4f5d-BF93-B2B74C80B5F7})

Go into this folder, and remove the file backup.@db.  You can put it on your desktop for safekeeping. 

Now go back and run the Arestore.exe utility again.  It will need to scrape each file in the back up set, one-by-one, so it could take a very long time.

Good Luck!

-Joel

Message Edited by Joel_Michel on 04-01-2009 10:46 AM

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.