• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Beta Testers Discount?

Just wondered if anyone knows if/when the emails with discount will be sent out to those who beta tested?

I know in the past it has been a little while after the product has been released.

Windows 10 *64 TP - Lastest Official - Fast Channel.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Beta Testers Discount?

Here is a quote from this thread.

We will be reviewing all feedback received, and will notify you shortly if you qualify for any special offerings.

https://community.norton.com/forums/norton-security-norton-security-backup-public-beta-testing-complete

Jim

Kudos0

I just got an e-mail with a 40% discount for being a Beta tester.

Jim

Kudos0

Kudos0

Me too but this is in the fine print;

* Limited time offer for the recipient of this email and valid only through the Norton online store in the U.S. Not valid on previous orders or renewals and cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts. All terms and conditions apply

I'm not in the U.S and what exactly is the "Limited time"?

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

I think I'll beta test next time for a discount.

"Top Safe Web Reviewer with over 23,000 Reviews."
Kudos0

I read '* valid only through the Norton online store in the U.S.'  to mean it must be purchased via the Norton US store, not the UK store etc, and indeed the link takes you to the US store. However the store does not show UK in the drop down menu for the address. Disappointing really. 

Kudos1 Stats

Giving just discounts is ridiculous, useful beta-testers should receive usual 1 year license, as it being done by some of your successful competitors. Beta-testers doing your job, after all.

Kudos0

I appreciated the discount offer to beta testers, and I tried to order from the US store. Like Krusty13 I do not live in the US.

The offer seems to be valid only to US beta testers. My country (Norway) is not listed in the drop-down menu, the Norwegian postal code is not accepted by the web site.

For nearly two years I have had two NIS Online licenses from my ISP. Via the NIS forum I have experienced an excellent support from forum gurus/members and Symantec employees (senthilkumar and Tony_Weiss). And most important: I have confidence in the Norton products.

@Symantec staff: I hope you realize that it is perceived as an embarrassing performance to be offered a gift and then snatch it out of my hands.

NS Deluxe / NS Online - Win10 // NMS on Android phones.
Kudos3 Stats

Hi everyone,

The 40% discount is offered to all people who signed up for beta testing, to thank our testers for helping with Norton product development.

We also have another offer available to eligible beta testers, who provided helpful product feedback. Those eligible testers will be contacted shortly. Thanks for your patience. 

Cheers,
Gayathri Rajendiran
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

The 40% discount is offered to all people who signed up for beta testing, to thank our testers for helping with Norton product development.

Thanks, great to hear. But the link in the e-mail brings me to the US store. I am unable to fill out the mandatory fields (fields with the red star).

How can I complete my order? Please tell me, Gayathri Rajendiran!

Kudos0

Is it not possible to give a link to the European store where the discount can be applied? The US store does not seem to list European places. It's a shame there seems no way for Symantec to give all beta testers this discount, why it seems restricted to the US.

Kudos0

Same as JohnDissident - Likewise for the UK.

Kudos0

I didn't even receive a 40% discount offer email for NS/NSBU, nothing.... (yet?)

Kudos1 Stats

It is always good to be patient when waiting for something that is a bonus.

When we started testing, there was no notice of this bonus, so we were doing this out of some personal need for helping test something new.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Could anyone confirm the email adress from which they received the discount email? I contacted Norton Support about this discount and they seemed to imply the discount is fake, even though Symanctec said otherwise in the thread. Below is a part of the chat:

Norton: Okay, Can you please tell me the email address from which you received the email for the discount?

Me: Yes: norton@nortonfromsymantec.com

Norton: I do apologize that this is not the official email address for the Norton products. Please beware of such fake mails.

Me: This is the web version of the mail <link to the 'view this mail as a web page'>

Norton: I do apologize but there is only 2 official website for the Norton product purchase. www.norton.com and buy.norton.com.There are a lot of fake websites with the fake names, please beware of them.

Me: Are you absolutely sure about this? It has been confirmed on the Norton forums that all beta testers received the mail. https://community.norton.com/forums/beta-testers-discountSee the post of Gayathri_R

Norton: I do apologize, the Norton community if free for all to upload there ideas regarding the Norton products. Although they are not the authorized data from Norton. You can get the official price on the Norton website.

Me: But isn't that person a employee of Symantec? He/she has an 'admin' tag. And the signature says: Norton Forums Administrator Symantec Corporation

Norton: I do apologize, the community.norton.com is not the official place for the price of the Norton product. I would be glad to provide you discount but right now the discount was only for the old product Norton 360 multi-Device which has been discontinued.

Kudos1 Stats

That is a valid email address that has been confirmed by Norton employees a number of times here on the forums.

Support people would know nothing about the source of any discounts. This would be handled by the product testing team.

Kudos0

Hope to get a discount as I participated in the beta test, trying to get a good product better, but I am patient.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit.
Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

When we started testing, there was no notice of this bonus, so we were doing this out of some personal need for helping test something new.

That's correct, peterweb. The offer I received, was unexpected. But when you goes to fetch your unexpected bonus, the giver says: “I'm just kidding”.

Would you like to be treated that way, peterweb?

Now remco8264 tells, according to the Norton Support chat, that this is a fake email.

Yesterday I PM'ed Gayathri Rajendiran about this issue. So far no answer.

Kudos0

It's nice to talk about discounts, but before you rush to update to NS take a look at the NS board, there are severe shutdown, restart and other issues, and I wonder how no-one of you haven't even noticed.

I was monitoring the Beta forum, although not a tester, but I think I'm one now, and noticed many cosmetic suggestions, not Engine or other.

Now, if you get your discount, I'm happy with this and support it.

For the moment, be careful before upgrading to NS, by the way, it's 22.0.0.110 same as the latest released Beta.

Very respectfully,

Kudos0

@Apostolos
Thank you for your concern! I have frequently read most of the posts during the beta period; I am aware of all the reported problems, but it was almost the same way when v21 was released. And I have been very satisfied with v21; all the time from day one.

I have tested the beta version on my virtual machine; I still have some days left with v 22.0.0.110. Personally I have NOT encountered any serious problem with this version. On my physical machines I am running free versions (v21) from my ISP. With 40% discount I am willing to acquire a paid version 22; I should like to start with my virtual machine. I can then follow the development of v22.

Last year I was about to pay for a “normal” NIS version in order to gain the chat possibility. However, after reading all the posts about incorrect answers from the chat support, I am a bit worried. But I would like to personally feel the touch of v22. I really hope Gayathri Rajendiran will give us (outside US) a solution on Monday.

Kudos1 Stats

remco8264 wrote:

Could anyone confirm the email adress from which they received the discount email? I contacted Norton Support about this discount and they seemed to imply the discount is fake, even though Symanctec said otherwise in the thread.

Not to worry. The email address is real and the URL (to purchase) in the email redirects to buy.norton.com. The CSR is misinformed/uninformed in this case.

@tbalint444444 - Did you by any chance use an alternate email address at any time during the Beta test that an email might have been sent to? It's probably unlikely that this would account for you not getting the offer, but... ya never know...

Windows 7 SP1 32bit - NSBU - 22.1.0.9
Kudos0

@killyourtv

Hi killyourtv,

No, I always use my main email address for testing beta softwares (not just NS, but Win Longhorn (Vista) /7/8 earlier, and soon win 9/ threshold).

Why I find this strange is because in the past (with NIS 2013 & 14 beta) I instantly received the offer.

@peterweb

It is always good to be patient when waiting for something that is a bonus.

Ok, I know, I too don't do beta testing only for the bonus/offer, but it would be good to know what's going on with it.

Kudos0

As I said in my post 26-Sep-2014 I received a 40% discount offer from Norton, but the link brought me to the US store where only US citizens are given access. However Gayathri Rajendiran (Norton Forums Administrator) told: “The 40% discount is offered to all people who signed up for beta testing, to thank our testers for helping with Norton product development.” I asked for help, both here in the forum and in a PM to Gayathri Rajendiran.

So far, no reply (BTW, is the PM system working?).

But I found a solution, a very simple one and I have not cheated anyone! I have paid my fee for 5 devices, the first one is activated today on my virtual computer. Now I can follow the v22 development while I still use my v21 (free from ISP) on my production machines.

It should not be so difficult to receive a gift.

Kudos0

Any news yet about using the discount in non US Norton Stores? Also I'm wondering if the discount works on Norton Security with Backup, as I'm planning to buy that version :)

Kudos0

Hi everyone,

We also have another offer available to eligible beta testers, who provided helpful product feedback. Those eligible testers will be contacted shortly. Thanks for your patience. 

I just got the 2nd offer: A free product key for 1yr subscription to NS with BU.

Wasn't expecting that.

Jim

Kudos0

I also received A free product key for 1yr subscription to Norton Security with BU.

I'm glad because my license key for NIS was about to run out :)

Good Job Symantec

Kudos0

gibby95 & phoneman where did the second offer come from? Only seen the one email with the 40% off I can't use in the UK. Thanks.

Kudos0

I received an e-mail from Tony Weiss on Sept 30.

I think it depends on how much helpfull feedback you gave to the Beta forum.

I believe everyone that signed up for the Beta got the 40%.

Jim

Kudos0

If you signed up and downloaded the beta you were offered the discount. If you actually provided feedback in the Beta Forum, you were offered the 1 year key.

Kudos0

Thanks for the clarification. :) I enjoy doing beta testing so it's not a major thing, it would be nice for equality if Norton treated all of the people who downloaded the beta equally regardless if they live in the US/Europe. To provide only one link to the US store that does not list European countries like a lot of on-line stores do. Now when people registered for the beta there were lots of locations uses could choose from, perhaps next beta if Norton are planning on doing a discount to testers, they send a discount coupon that works in the country they selected during the register process.. It would have been nice if the US store listed European countries and or the email contained two links, US Store / European Store buy hey that never happened.

I don't foresee this discount happening for European testers this year, shame really as previous years Amazon UK normally have the products at around 50% cheaper than Norton direct - they are not on Amazon UK yet :-)

Kudos0

Thanks for the clarification. :) I enjoy doing beta testing so it's not a major thing, it would be nice for equality if Norton treated all of the people who downloaded the beta equally regardless if they live in the US/Europe. To provide only one link to the US store that does not list European countries like a lot of on-line stores do. Now when people registered for the beta there were lots of locations uses could choose from, perhaps next beta if Norton are planning on doing a discount to testers, they send a discount coupon that works in the country they selected during the register process.. It would have been nice if the US store listed European countries and or the email contained two links, US Store / European Store buy hey that never happened.

I don't foresee this discount happening for European testers this year, shame really as previous years Amazon UK normally have the products at around 50% cheaper than Norton direct - they are not on Amazon UK yet :-)

Kudos2 Stats

..,it would be nice for equality if Norton treated all of the people who downloaded the beta equally regardless if they live in the US/Europe. To provide only one link to the US store that does not list European countries like a lot of on-line stores do.

Please read my post from 29-Sep-2014 (this thread). I do not think Norton wants to give the beta testers differential treatment; the “problem” is the US Store web site (which is unchanged today). I have told Gayathri Rajendiran (Norton Forums Administrator) how I succeeded to buy from the US Store, she has promised to look into the issue.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.