• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

not receiving emails from Norton family due to family.norton.com SPF problem

I realized my son was accessing websites that were blocked by Norton Family but I wasn't receiving the email notification.  After many hours online with Norton Support and my mail provider, we determined Norton was sending the emails in a way that made them appear to be spam.  Apparently when my mail provider tries to validate noreply@family.norton.com, it gets an error.  My provider says the error is "<noreply@family.norton.com> temporarily rejected : Could not complete sender verify".  Since it can't validate the address, it considers it spam and rejects the email.  I found Gmail would forward it, but it gets this error in the header "spf=temperror (google.com: error in processing during lookup of noreply@family.norton.com: DNS timeout) smtp.mail=noreply@family.norton.com".  Why would Norton do this, especially when it makes it look like spam or some type of illegitimate email.  I couldn't get anyone in Norton Support to do anything about it.  My workaround is to send to gmail instead of my registered email address since Gmail will forward it on.  Does anyone know of a better solution?  Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: not receiving emails from Norton family due to family.norton.com SPF problem

Hi dkump,

Thanks for the report.  We will check into this.  Can you please let us know what your mail provider is?

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Re: not receiving emails from Norton family due to family.norton.com SPF problem

My mail server is hosted by Hostgator.  It's a shared plan, so not a dedicated server.  Hostgator blocks email if it can't verify the sender.  I found that Gmail has the same problem with verifying the sender, but they just note it in the header and still deliver the email anyway.

Kudos0

Thanks for the update.

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi dkump,

The Norton Family development team suggests if the spam filter is checking by sending a mail, then  can you please add noreply@family.norton.com to trusted list or exception to see if that helps.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.