• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Windows shut down during full scan

Each time I attempt a "full scan" windows shuts down before completing the scan.  I am able to complete a "quick scan" without incident.  I worked through oneline support and the (very patient) technician worked through each corrective step, including a full disk scan.  The problem persists.  The technician recommended I contact this forum for assistance.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows shut down during full scan

It isn't over heating is it?

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hi Request Assistance,

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums .

You don't mention which is your OS, however please see this KB Article Nothing happens when I try to run a scan in my Norton product 

But if your OS is Windows 8/8.1, I also must add that I have recently seen posts from some users saying that setting Norton Boot time to Aggressive did the trick, without turning off Fast Startup.

Please let us know if and how the above helped.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Thank you for the response.  No, it is not overheating.

Kudos0

Thank you for the response.  I am running Windows 7 - but will give the boot time adjustment a try.  I will also read through the KB article more closely.

Kudos0

Request Assistance:

Thank you for the response.  I am running Windows 7 - but will give the boot time adjustment a try.  I will also read through the KB article more closely.

To avoid any misunderstandings, I read about "setting Norton Boot time to Aggressive" helped to solve the scan problem in Windows 8/8.1. I don't know if it will fix the problem in Windows 7 too. Keep us posted.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Yes, understand that the adjustment was reported to work for Windows 8/8.1, but gave it a try anyway.  Didn't solve the problem.  Still shuts down.  Thank you for the responses.  Much appreciated.

Kudos0

Hello Request Assistance

Do you have enough Ram in your computer? Has the inside of your computer been cleaned out lately-like get rid of dust and what not inside of computer which shouldn't be there.? How old is the computer and for how long have you had this problem. What was the security program you had previously and how was it removed.? Did you install the security program knowing that there is malware in the computer?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi, RequestAssistance. Have you done a Windows file check to see if it finds anything ?

Using Command Prompt with Administrator privileges, in the Run box type sfc  /scannow.

Let it run to see if it fixes anything. Here is some info on the different commands.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/p/sfc-command-system-file-checker.htm

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Are you using the computer when you run the full scan, or are you setting up the scan to run when you are not using the computer?

Have you checked your Windows settings for power saving? What I have done is set up one power plan for full system scans that does not shut down or sleep the computer at all. My scans can take a couple of hours because of the size of my drives.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Is what I thought too, Peter.

Sandro
Kudos0

I agree with peterweb it is possible the system is shutting down due to how the Power Options are set, causing the shut down and thus the stopping of the full scan?

....or perhaps it is getting hung up on a compressed file - which is then causing the long time for the scan in conjunction with the power option?

Kudos0

Thank you for the responses.  I an running at maximum performance power setting and the laptop is plugged in.  I have good RAM and minimal large files on the hard drive.  The technician ran a full disk scan.  I will attempt a custom scan using only file scan.

Kudos0

I ran a folder by folder scan and all folders scan appropriately except for the Windows folder.  When I attempt a scan on the Windows folder, Windows shuts down.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Kudos0

If it seems to fail on the Windows folder there may be some corruption there. 

Click on Start and type CMD in the search box. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator. Type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check your Windows installation and try to correct any errors it finds.

It could also be a physical problem on the hard drive.

To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Kudos0

Another thought. Check the settings for your High Performance power settings. That setting can still put your computer to sleep.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.