• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Internet Security Not Running Full Scan

I'm recently having trouble with Norton not being able to run a full scan.  I can run other antivirus scans (such as Malwarebytes) and I can run the Norton quick scan, but for some reason when I click full scan it simply won't come up at all.  I've tried restarting the computer before the scan, I've even tried removing Norton completely and re-installing except the uninstalling program hits an error when it tries to take off Norton Utilities and then shuts itself down.  I started checking the recent history and there's a lot of odd messages saying "Rule Rejected UDP(17) Traffic" detection notifications happening every few seconds at all hours of the day, but that's the only odd thing.  Even my weekly full scan won't run, it says it's starting but there's no trace of it in the history or any results to be found.  (I have it scheduled to scan every Wednesday at midnight.)

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem?  I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus, I just don't know why Norton is acting like this.

Replies

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Norton Internet Security Not Running Full Scan

Hi dragonnova, Welcome!

You don't mention which is your OS, however please see this KB Article Nothing happens when I try to run a scan in my Norton product 

But if your OS is Windows 8/8.1, I also must add that I have recently seen posts from some users saying that setting Norton Boot time to Aggressive did the trick, without turning off Fast Startup.

Please let us know if and how the above helped.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Oh sorry, I forgot about that.  My operating system is Windows Vista on my desktop, which might be why I'm having trouble since it's becoming an obsolete operating system.  I have read the Nothing Happens link, and I've read through the forums for other answers but nothing has helped this situation.  However, I will try setting the Norton Boot time to Aggressive and see if that helps.  Thank you for you help!

*update*  I just switched the boot time from normal to aggressive and there's no change.  I can bring up Norton and click Full Scan and nothing happens, the computer fan will kick in as though it's getting ready to run an intense program and then everything just goes silent.  There's no window pop up or anything to tell me the program is running.  I can run the Quick Scan, so that's something.  I'm going to try manually uninstalling Norton and re-installing it.  If this helps I'll let you know.  After that I have no idea what else to do.

Kudos0

My full system scan is finally running. In case others are having the same problem I was having (with a Vista OS) you will have to manually uninstall Norton and then re-install it. Do not use the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool, it doesn't help and I think it may be our OS causing the trouble. Go into your control panel, and uninstall the program there, then come back into your Norton account and re-install the program. There is still an issue with my security history and the constant Rule Rejected UPD notices happening every few seconds, I have a feeling this is the cause of the considerable lag in my system, which disappeared while Norton was uninstalled. I honestly don't know what this is, but I have my suspicions that it might have something to do with the online gaming I do through Steam. I'm going to have my brother take a look at it in the morning and if I find any answers I'll come back and let everyone know. I'm not exactly worried about this since I know my system is clean. I just want to know what's going on. Thank you Rainbow_2 for trying to help me out, and I apologize for not letting you know what my OS was in the first post.

Kudos0

Thank you, dragonnova, for the feedback!  Glad you were able to get the full scans running again.

Please do keep us posted about any other "explanation or fix" you should find for your other problem as it could be of help for other users.  

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

dragonnova:

There is still an issue with my security history and the constant Rule Rejected UPD notices happening every few seconds, I have a feeling this is the cause of the considerable lag in my system, which disappeared while Norton was uninstalled. I honestly don't know what this is, but I have my suspicions that it might have something to do with the online gaming I do through Steam.

Hi dragonnova:

Many Norton users see these Rule rejected UPD(17) traffic alerts their security history and they're generally safe to ignore.  These alerts are typically logged when Norton detects activity on your local network, which can be as harmless as your computer connecting to your network router/ISP when you boot up or when your computer comes out of sleep mode.  Community user elsewhere has posted instructions in kylemcauliffe15's thread Rule Rejected UDP(17) Every Second and a Lot of Slowdown on how to turn off logging of these notifications if they annoy you.

If you have any concerns about these UDP alerts, go to Advanced | History | Show | Firewall - Activities, search your log entries for "udp", click the Export link at the bottom of the window, and save the contents as a .txt file.  Then attach this text file to your next post.  One of the users in this forum familiar with networking protocols will be able to see the port and IP address involved and might be able to provide further insight.

There have been several reports of Norton's heuristic (behaviour-based) protection detecting Steam games as possible malware for their "suspicious activity" (see one example here) and some Steam users see intermittent periods of high CPU activity when Norton realtime protection "wakes up" to monitor Steam-related activity.  Schwalker's thread Frequent High CPU Usage by NIS has some hints on how to create realtime Auto-Protect and SONAR scan exclusions in Norton for your Steam executables and libraries if you suspect that playing Steam games is slowing down your computer.  The Steam support article Using a Firewall with Steam (Unable to load library Steam.dll) might also have some useful tips.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 34.0.5 * NIS 2014 v. 21.6.0.32 * MBAM Premium 2.0.4.1028
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.