• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

protection update not showing current but yesterday date

I noticed yesterday after manual live update and full scan the date next to projection update was showing yesterday date. so I uninstalled and reinstall and then it showed current. I found today same issue updated live update manually and then scan etc, it is showing yesterday.s date, should I uninstall and reinstall and see what happens again. do not want to keep doing this, or is there a workaround.

Windows 7/32bit Toshiba internet software

update over internet security software

Thanks

Tony

Replies

Kudos0

Re: protection update not showing current but yesterday date

Are you sure it is the security update and not the last scan date?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Peter

on first page  is says

Security  you are protected

Protection updates :current

Last Scan:   6 min ago

Peter can you confirm which is protection update referring to ???, the reason it showed current I uninstall and reinstalled again.

I just would like to know which it refers to and I have now ensured the system and clock is set to local location.

Tony

Kudos0

Hello Tony

The current status will show current until the subscription status goes down by 1 number. The time that the subscription status changes is tied into the time you finished installing the product the first time with the key.

I had a quick antivirus scan 1 hour ago after receiving the antivirus definition update. Mine is showing current now and will remain current until the subscription status goes down by 1 number. When that happens, it will no longer say current.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome latest one
Kudos0

Hello Floplot

Thanks for the answer, I am not sure I am following what you have written

protection updates, yesterday showed 12-01-2015, uninstalled and reinstalled then showed current again today software showed 13-01-2015 uninstalled and reinstalled now shows protection updates :current

Are you saying that it will shows yesterday's date until some antivirus definition update, and there is no issue for me to worry about (is this part of cloud)

Hopefully you can follow what I have written

Tony

Kudos0

Hi Tony,

Have you run LiveUpdate manually until no updates are available and restarted your computer when prompted?

Sandro
Kudos0

Hello Tony

You have nothing to worry about.  Protection updates refer to antivirus updates and they result in having an automatic quick virus scan.. It will show current until the time you first installed the product. So it should show current until the next virus scan and also depending on the time of that scan. If it was way behind in getting the antivirus updates, the program would tell you. If there was a problem, you would get an error. If you have a question about it, just drop into the forum. If there are a lot of people complaining about the same thing, then you know it is Norton who is having the problem. As long as your system time is correct, then you shouldn't have any problem with that.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome latest one
Kudos1 Stats

The protection date isn't tied to local time.  I think it is tied to a US time zone.  Mine has always showed a day behind since NS / NSwB was in beta.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

I think it would be nice if the date/time of the last successful Live Update was shown on the main security screen.  That info is already being stored by Norton in the "Background Tasks" info so it would be simple to add to the main screen.

___________________________2Ys U R 2Ys U B I C U R 2Ys 4 Me
Kudos0

2YsUR:

I think it would be nice if the date/time of the last successful Live Update was shown on the main security screen. 

With Norton Security / NSBU  ~~ you're always up to date >> updates are in the cloud.   Granted, there is a small resident data base for offline scanning.  

Kudos0

Hello

I think it would be nice if the date/time of the last successful Live Update was shown on the main security screen.  That info is already being stored by Norton in the "Background Tasks" info so it would be simple to add to the main screen.

You can see the time/date of all the Live Updates very easily. Security History---->scroll down the drop down to Live Update. You will find all the updates there which will show the successful ones as well as the unsuccessful ones.

Kudos0

bjm_:
2YsUR:

I think it would be nice if the date/time of the last successful Live Update was shown on the main security screen. 

With Norton Security / NSBU  ~~ you're always up to date >> updates are in the cloud.   Granted, there is a small resident data base for offline scanning.  

bjm_

I am somewhat confused about your comment "there is a small resident data base for offline scanning." Does this mean that when I run a scan while offline that it is a lesser scan than a scan run while online because it is using a "small resident data base" when scanning while offline?  Does this also mean that I am using bandwidth if I run a scan while connected to the internet? If so, do you have any idea of how much bandwidth it uses when scanning while connected to the internet?

This issue of bandwidth usage is critically important to me. I live in rural Iowa. My broadband access costs me an arm and a leg through a USB modem connection to a cell tower. I am allowed 5GB per month for all access (email, internet, etc.). If I go over that it gets outrageously expensive.

Getting a fix on how much bandwidth Norton is using each month is very important.

As a side comment Norton does not make it as easy to find this information as Symantec Endpoint version 11 did. It seems I have to dig through a bunch of stuff to find out anything and the manual hardly helps at all. Then once I do find out something it does not seem that Norton Security gives me many options to tailor the way the program operates so that I can  balance a level of security with cost. It seems to me that Symantec Endpoint version 11 gave more options in setting up the program's operation to achieve that balance. After my frustration with Norton Security's limited options I have tried to find out if Symantec Endpoint version 12 would give me the same, or more, flexibility as Symantec Endpoint version 11. I have not been able to get an answer to that question digging through Symantec's web pages.

Kudos0

Hi vic6

Norton Security addresses the issue of first-day exploits with a cloud-based approach. By comparing scan results to real-time definition updates, Norton can warn you about potentially malicious files making their way around the Web. Also, the cloud-based scans mean Norton Security has been able to shrink the size of the local definition to a fraction of what it used to be. The antivirus still keeps a small local definition to watch out for prevalent troublemakers, in case you want to perform offline scans.

Symantec added a number of under-the-hood enhancements that should, in theory, offer even better protection than the previous edition. Among these are fast classification using sample clustering, automated generic definitions, real-time cloud lookup of all scanned files, and a new behavioral signature engine.

Sorry ~ I have no info on bandwidth usage or Endpoint offerings.  The Norton Community is Norton retail offerings. 

For Endpoint you'll need Symantec http://www.symantec.com/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Kudos0

Hello vic6

There is a setting that you can turn on if you have to be careful of bandwidth. Go to Settings--->Firewall---->General Settings--->Network Settings--->Network Cost Awareness---> turn it on.----> Apply.

Kudos0

Thank you, bjm, for that information. It is helpful.

And thank you floplot. I will try the economy setting under cost awareness and try to discover the amount of bandwidth that saves, and making an analysis of the trade off between that savings and the level of security that results.

Kudos1 Stats

bjm_:
2YsUR:

With Norton Security / NSBU  ~~ you're always up to date updates are in the cloud.   Granted, there is a small resident data base for offline scanning.  

Just today I have received at least 6 automated Live Updates.  Unless you go digging through "history" you do not get any sense of progressive updates and a feeling of being "up-to-date".  The main security screen that shows "updates Current" or yesterday's date is rather static.  From just a quick glance at the main security screen I cannot tell if the last applied update was 1 hour ago or 24 hours ago.

With the date/time of the last Live Update added to the main security screen, the user gets at a glance,  a better sense that the product is working and up to date.  As I stated earlier, since NS/ NSBU is already capturing the date/time of the last Live Update in background tasks, it would be simple to add that info to the main security screen.

Kudos0

vic6

You cannot compare the Norton products with the Symantec Endpoint protection. Endpoint is an enterprise/business level product that will have more settings for what you can control. The Norton products are aimed at home users that usually want to set and forget the product.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Easy fix to all this. If you turn your computer off at night, as soon as you log on run Live Update manually.

From then on you can leave Norton to keep you updated and protected.

Nothing to be gained by stressing over settings and worrying about being up to date.

As peterweb says, the normal user version is designed to operate with minimal user input.

That's the way I use it. Set, and then forget.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos2 Stats

2YsUR:

[...] 

Just today I have received at least 6 automated Live Updates.  Unless you go digging through "history" you do not get any sense of progressive updates and a feeling of being "up-to-date".  The main security screen that shows "updates Current" or yesterday's date is rather static.  From just a quick glance at the main security screen I cannot tell if the last applied update was 1 hour ago or 24 hours ago.

With the date/time of the last Live Update added to the main security screen, the user gets at a glance,  a better sense that the product is working and up to date.  As I stated earlier, since NS/ NSBU is already capturing the date/time of the last Live Update in background tasks, it would be simple to add that info to the main security screen.

I agree.

Taking a closer look at the LiveUpdate "Result" in the Norton Security History window below shows the following details:

The dialog box shown above advises that the Norton product now has the latest protection updates as at 23/01/2015.

After the LiveUpdate described above, the main Norton interface, however, advises that the latest protection updates are dated 22/01/2015:

It appears that the main Norton interface is just displaying the latest Virus Definition update date (curdefs=20150122) rather than displaying the actual date for all of the other protection updates that have been applied during this LiveUpdate session.

This is a defect. 

Kudos0

elsewhere:
[...]

It appears that the main Norton interface is just displaying the latest Virus Definition update date (curdefs=20150122) rather than displaying the actual date for all of the other protection updates that have been applied during this LiveUpdate session.

This is a defect. 

Thanks for taking the time to document the problem.  I hope someone at Norton gets the message.

Kudos0

Hello

This is basically the same way NIS version 21 worked. Only, it might have been worded slightly different.  The date will show as current at the time that your program countdown will go down by one number.

Kudos0

I agree with "elsewhere" - it does look like a glitch.

Flopot - what do you mean by "The date will show as current at the time that your program countdown will go down by one number."

What is the program countdown ?

Kudos0

Hi Davec33,

I may not be totally accurate to the minute - but close!

You will see the # of days remaining for your license on the main page of your Norton Product.  It counts down as the days go by and it decreases by one day at the time of day that you initially registered your current product/license.  Mine changes sometime in the afternoon.

Hope that helps!

<EDIT> That plays with the LU being shown as updated today (in elsewhere's image) and the Main Page showing the older date - it appears to me elsewhere's  count down just hasn't changed yet!   As I have said before, you can check you def update by going to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security with Backup\NortonData\22.0.0.110\Definitions\VirusDefs\20150123.003 - which means mine is showing today's virus defs, and my main page shows Protection Updates as Current (because my count down as occurred).

Kudos0

Hello yank

Thank you answering while I was having a food break and some moving around and still coughing. That was exactly how I was going to answer.

Kudos0

Well my "subscription status" went down from 593 to 592 this afternoon.

Protection Updates are still showing 23/01/2015 (i.e. yesterday), and also shows Last Scan 5hrs ago.

Kudos0

Hello

As I was reading your post and checking my NS, yesterday's date changed to current. Scan was 14 hours ago. I ran Live Update and I just got the antivirus download. The scan hasn't run yet since my computer isn't idle yet while I am typing this response. My NS was installed around 3 PM. It is now around 3:20 PM.

Kudos0

My suggestion would be to have the main security screen modified to show something like:

Last Protection Update:  2 hours ago   <---- based on the time of the last successful Live Update.

Last Scan:                        1 hour ago

Kudos0

2YsUR:

My suggestion would be to have the main security screen modified to show something like:

Last Protection Update:  2 hours ago   <---- based on the time of the last successful Live Update.

Last Scan:                        1 hour ago

That's the date that Norton Security should be displaying; not the date of the "Last Virus Definitions Update".

Norton Internet Security v21 (click the LiveUpdate tile on Norton's basic interface) displays two time based update values:

Last update: 7 minutes ago
Last Virus Definitions Update: 30/01/2015 4:41:34 PM

As NIS v21 has the Pulse Update feature, the Last Virus Definition Update date-time value changes frequently to reflect Norton's Virus Definitions update status. Norton Security, however, no longer has the Pulse Update feature resulting in far less frequent local virus definitions updates. Compared with NIS v21, Norton Security appears to be using the date value of the current virus definitions set (20150129 = 29/01/2015) rather than the actual local date of the last LiveUpdate:

Latest Virus Definitions:                                        curdefs=20150129.016
Today's Date/Time:                                                 30/01/2015 17:46 
Norton Security Protection Updates date:           29/01/2015  
Norton Internet Security v21 Last update date:   3 minutes ago (30/01/2015 17:46)                                                                

Norton Security is failing to account for UTC time zone differences. Consequently, Norton Security always appears to be out-of-date. Even though the end-user has run LiveUpdate until it says "LiveUpdate finished - No updates found", the main Norton Security interface shows that the Protection Updates are one day behind the current date.

Expected behaviour: Display the Last update date like Norton Internet Security v21.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.