• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Security trial with subscription after

I was wondering, I purchased Norton Security and I am waiting for my NIS subscription to expire. After my NIS subscription expires I wanted to use the trial for 30 days. Then use my Norton Security license. Would this affect my Norton Security subscription? Like would it detect that I used the trial and deduct 30 days? Or would I get one month free trial plus 366 days?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security trial with subscription after

Hi SGFC,

I may be wrong, so wait for others to chime in, but it is my understanding that if you download and use the trial, anytime prior to it running out, , you can enter the new NS product key and you will get the 366 days.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hello

If you want, you can use the trial version of Norton Security for the 30 days. Near the end of the trial one, you can enter your key into the trial one and it will then become the regular subscription with the 366 days.. The rule concerning trial versions is that you can't keep getting new trial versions.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

floplot:

Hello

If you want, you can use the trial version of Norton Security for the 30 days. Near the end of the trial one, you can enter your key into the trial one and it will then become the regular subscription with the 366 days.. The rule concerning trial versions is that you can't keep getting new trial versions.

Okay that answers my question. I was just concerned the trial would deduct 30 days off my subscription 366 days. I don't normally do this but since it's a new product I have the opportunity.

Kudos1 Stats

SGF C

It just might depend on how you bought it. If you bought it from Norton and Norton Security appears in your MyNorton Account then the clock might start when you install the trial.

I don't know about this but just mention it as something to watch for and checking what your Account shows before jumping.

Hugh
Kudos0

Since the TRIAL is the only way to get the current version, can I install it, and then use the other postings on how to preserve a local vault on a new install? I assume that the trial is OK for 30 days and is fully functional. Also, can I then use the trial on my other systems? I I am asking this as I want to install with the Slow Shutdown fix and, so far, I do not see this newest NS on the setup or latestns links...only the trial is the latest version. I wonder about getting the latest once I enter my key to activate it. I am afraid it will keep giving me the down level NS without the slow shut down fix and I will not be able to install the TRIAL on my other systems. I hope these concerns are not a big deal, but I want to install this without issues!

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Kudos0

huwyngr:

SGF C

It just might depend on how you bought it. If you bought it from Norton and Norton Security appears in your MyNorton Account then the clock might start when you install the trial.

I don't know about this but just mention it as something to watch for and checking what your Account shows before jumping.

I had a computer store order it for me.

Kudos0

Hello MPSAN

Are you trying to install Norton Security with the latest version? Once you enter your key into the Trial version, it is no longer a trial, but your regular program. Have you gone into your Norton account and tried to install it from there?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

No, I only have NIS2014 in my Norton Account. However, Norton Chat claims that the version on Norton.com/setup IS the 22.1.0.9. I will try it, and see what I get. She also said that this version from the setup still does not require me to activate it for 30 days. I was not aware that you had a choice on the non-trial version! Does that sound right?

I am not trying to hijack this thread but it seems like it is in addition to what was asked.

Kudos0

SGFC:
huwyngr:

SGF C

In that case you don't get a disk but just the KEY and have to download.  If they give you a download URL you can try that and see if it insists that you insert a KEY to activate or if you can not do so and get a trial period.

Note that in the past some stores had special activation deals with Norton where it was automatically activated at checkout (in which case I think we got a statement from Norton on what happens to the clock starting or not but I don't remember whether it was good news or bad news) and other stores had special arrangements where only that store could activate the product. It was all a bit of a mess and hopefully they dropped it.

That's part of the reason why I don't take anything for granted .....

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello MPSAN

Now that you mentioned that you don't have to activate it for 30 days, I don't remember seeing that option. But it does make sense I think.  Since the only way to get NS now is from a download and the way to get a Trial version is also by downloading. The Trial version of the program is exactly the same as the program itself. EXCEPT. without putting in a key, I can see it becoming the Trial version with a countdown of 30 days. With entering a key, the download would become the same version, but would be for 366 days. The choice may not be actually given, but I think that is what would happen. I haven't tried it, so I am not sure. In either case, please make sure you run live update until there are no more updates.

Even if the setup is from the beginning, the downloaded files would bring you directly to the latest version without having to go thru every version we have had.

Kudos0

Thank you, and I will let you all know what version I do get from /setup. I also did a copy of my IDSafe data and will let you all know how my clean install goes and if I do retain a Local Vault on my clean install!

Kudos0

huwyngr:
SGFC:
huwyngr:

SGF C

In that case you don't get a disk but just the KEY and have to download.  If they give you a download URL you can try that and see if it insists that you insert a KEY to activate or if you can not do so and get a trial period.

Note that in the past some stores had special activation deals with Norton where it was automatically activated at checkout (in which case I think we got a statement from Norton on what happens to the clock starting or not but I don't remember whether it was good news or bad news) and other stores had special arrangements where only that store could activate the product. It was all a bit of a mess and hopefully they dropped it.

That's part of the reason why I don't take anything for granted .....

Sorry about the confusion. I meant an actual store in real life not an online store. It'll be a copy with a disk and probably a box aka retail. 

Kudos0

SGF C

Sorry about the confusion. I meant an actual store in real life not an online store. It'll be a copy with a disk and probably a box aka retail. 

Really truly, there are no more disks! Even the boxes are empty except for the paperwork! So don't call the store and say "I wuz robbed" .....

At least that is what we are told. We are talking about Norton Security aren't we?

It makes sense since the disks are always out of date from the moment they are first released to the stores! And then now that NS works on tablets etc they don't have optical drives ... Norton did once have a netbook version of NIS with thumbdrives in the box but they dropped that years ago.

Hugh
Kudos0

I just wanted to update this...

I did install from the TRIAL as it was the ONLY file I could get with 22.1.0.9. All the others like /setup and /latestns were downlevel. BUT, when it installed, it said the trial had expired! HUH?

Anyway, I did activate it, and with the backdoor method I even kept my LOCAL ID Safe on this new computer.

So, that is my update!

Kudos0

Hello MPSAN

You are only allowed 1 trial of each program... Otherwise, people would continuously get new trials and not buy the product.

Kudos0

I downloaded the trial but NEVER installed it. Not sure why the "clock" started. They must start the clock when you d/l it!

Kudos0

MPSAN:

I downloaded the trial but NEVER installed it. Not sure why the "clock" started. They must start the clock when you d/l it!

I believe it sets a flag somewhere hidden even from the Norton Removal Tool in order to stop people from series installations .... not that any of us would dream of doing that! It would be technically possible for this to be divorced from actually installing. 

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr:

SGF C

Really truly, there are no more disks! Even the boxes are empty except for the paperwork! So don't call the store and say "I wuz robbed" .....

At least that is what we are told. We are talking about Norton Security aren't we?

It makes sense since the disks are always out of date from the moment they are first released to the stores! And then now that NS works on tablets etc they don't have optical drives ... Norton did once have a netbook version of NIS with thumbdrives in the box but they dropped that years ago.

I guess I'll find out today or tomorrow. Actually I think one time I ended up with a copy that come in a cardboard sleeve with a disk. Yes we are talking about NS. Since I doubt Symantec will support NIS for much longer.

I generally don't use the CD I download my Norton product. Once the subscription expires I frisbee the CD into the trash.

Kudos0

Do let us know but the dropping of disks was fairly recent, maybe with the introduction of NS but I'm not sure.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello

Version 21 came on CD's Version 22 which is NS/NSwB never came with CD's as far as I know.

Kudos0

Thanks Flo

I'm sure you are right that NS has never been anything but download -- no disks -- but I wasn't certain about the earlier group.

Intriguing to see at BuyCheapSoftware that there is a 1 PC version of Norton Security ... only $10 cheaper than the 5 PC version.

Hugh
Kudos0

Take a look at this under Optical Drive; http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/norton-security-2-0-5-device-1-year/10323618.aspx

It says you need a CD or DVD ROM if you're not installing via electronic download.

So I am fairly certain tomorrow (later today) or when I pick it up at the store there'll be a CD.

From this link http://buy-static.norton.com/norton/ps/bb/1up_ns1_ca_en_largo_notw_brnf_ad.html?om_sem_cid=hho_sem_sy:ca:pla:en:l|kw0000434822|45143892681|c

"Your product subscription begins upon initial installation and activation." That doesn't mean there is a CD but it says the subscription doesn't start until you install or activate it.

From this link http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/norton-security-2-0-5-device-1-year/10323618.aspx

"CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic download)" same as first link.

Kudos0

My breath is bated .....

Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

Talked to Best Buy Canada >  Key not CD for  Web Code: 10323618

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

For a virtual drive, you would probably have to burn your own CD to use in a CD drive.

You download an installer. Then it installs and activates the program after you enter key. When you download it, a entry into your Norton Account is also made. If you pick it up in a box, you will find the key and instructions of where to download it.

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello

For a virtual drive, you would probably have to burn your own CD to use in a CD drive.

You download an installer. Then it installs and activates the program after you enter key. When you download it, a entry into your Norton Account is also made. If you pick it up in a box, you will find the key and instructions of where to download it.

Floplot and bjm_ are right. It's a piece of cardboard.

-----

Getting Started with Norton

Thank you for trusting Norton with the security of your digital life. Follow these steps to start your subscription, download and install Norton onto your device(s).

1. Visit http://www.norton.com/setup on a web browser

• You will need the product key located on the back of the card below.
  • If you don't have an account with Norton, you will need to set one up. It's easy. All you need is your email address.

2. To protect your additional computers, smartphones and tablets return to http://www.norton.com/setup

Need help? Visit http://www.norton.com/globalsupport

(Then a credit card like card is glued onto the cardboard)

-----

So now I am back to wondering if the trial counts against this new subscription.

Kudos2 Stats

Just to update.

You can run the trial version of Norton Security for 30 days. Then enter your product key and get another 366 days. It works and doesn't count against your subscription. Giving you 396 days instead of 366.

Kudos0

Hello SGFC

Thanks for coming back and giving us an update. Glad to see that you didn't lose any days by using the trial version first and then entering your key to turn it into a registered and subscribed version and still for 366 more days. You confirmed what I had mentioned in the beginning of the thread. If any one else has a question similar to this one, they will know where to find the answer and will see that the thread is solved.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.