• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Setup, Firefox Cleanup permanently removes a LOT more then only Firefox Temporary Files !!

Hi all,

After years and years of using Symantec Endpoint Protection on Windows 7 (all software up-to-date) , the first thing a default Norton Security with Backup (NSwB)  did was solidly and permanently destroy my "Firefox Temporary Files" . 

If you browse to Settings, and then scroll all the way down, you'll find "Firefox Cleanup", with a suboption of ""Cleanup temporary Firefox-files". I'm guessing the wording, since I run a localized Dutch version, where is it called "Firefox opruimen"

I might, or might not, have registered this option while browsing throught the settings of NSwB, which is activated by default. The installation did not prompt me to have this activated or not,. After the fact, searching the documentation, have not given me any clue as to what this option really does. I know for sure, it destroys everything contained in the directory  that the Windows variable %TEMP% point to. If it destroys anything else, who knows ...

Yes, I'm pretty annoyed that a security product I paid for, does set aside (quarantines) files in deems unsecure, and informs me it has done so, behind my back destroys what some developement team has decided upon to be a good choice.

Where is it documented what exactly gets destroyed when this option is activated ? I want an exact list of what gets touched when this option is active .

Why is this destructive option activated by default ?  I bought security software , not disk cleanup software, this option needs to off by default, or I should be warned at installation time !

Is anyone from Symantec/Norton keeping an eye on this forum ?

Thanks,

Rene

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Setup, Firefox Cleanup permanently removes a LOT more then only Firefox Temporary Files !!

Has the deletion of your Firefox temp files caused any issue with Firefox's operation? Which files are you concerned about being deleted?

Temp files are usually only used for one session, and if properly programmed, they should remove themselves. The NS cleanup just finishes what should have been done by the original program.

Edit

Or are you referring to the Firefox History cleanup?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: Setup, Firefox Cleanup permanently removes a LOT more then only Firefox Temporary Files !!

Hello Rene

Did you first remove completely the Symantec Endpoint protection program which you had previously used before getting NSwB?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi, Rene. If you're talking about File Clean up under the Performance tab in NSBU, that will only clean those files if you click on File Clean Up.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Hi Flopot,

Yes, I used the SEP Cleanup tool to completely remove it before installing NSwB.

Rene.

Kudos0

Hi PeterWeb,

The removal of files through the option called Firefox temp files has not caused an issue with Firefox. It did however cleanout the location where my windows variable %TEMP% is pointing to, destroying a number of files that were wIP and therefore temporary.

Rene.

Kudos0

Hi F4E,

Well , that is what one would assume. 

After walking through all options in the setup window again, I have found the following:

• Setup, Task planner, has activated by default the removal of temporary IE files, the removal of temporary Windows file and Disk fragmentation
  • Setup, Settings, has activated by default the removal of temporary Firefox files

So, the clean-out of %TEMP% is not necessarily caused by the FF cleanup, it could well be that it is done by the planned Task to clean Windows temporary files. I have changed my setup to not remove temporary FF files, and I have left the windows temporary file removal active, to see which of the those is destroying %TEMP%.

I hear you shout "Of course, the task !!" , but it is nowhere documented what is removed !!

What does NSwB consider to be temporary IE files ? And temporary FF files ? And temporary Windows files ? First of all that should be clearly documented, and at install time you should be clearly informed on what automated tasks will start manipulating your data, on top of keeping it secure.

Defragmenting my SSD will dramatically shorten its lifetime, I should be asked if I want that.

I'll report back on my findings later this  week,

Cheers,

Rene

Kudos1 Stats

Rene

What you are seeing is not the Firefox cleanup. It is a feature in the Background tasks. Settings - Administrative Settings - Background Tasks. Click on Configure  beside background tasks, then scroll down to see the Windows Temporary Files.

Windows temp files will only be deleted if they are not currently in use. If they are not in use, they should not be needed. The %temp% location should not be used for configuration or permanent locations for files. See if you can reconfigure what ever program is using those files to have them saved in a different location.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi, Rene. Further to what Peter says I have disabled all the automatic tasks in Task Scheduling as I prefer to perform them manually, which is why I haven't experienced that problem.

Kudos2 Stats

In Firefox Privacy Options there is an option to "Clear history when Firefox closes." If it is checked you can click the accompanying Settings button and select from the following list, those things that you want Firefox to delete when it closes:

In Norton, selecting Firefox Temporary File Cleanup will place a checkmark next to Cache.  Enabling Norton's Firefox History Cleanup will put a checkmark next to Browsing & Download History.  It works the other way around, too (the Firefox and Norton settings are linked together):  If you manually select either of those options in Firefox, the corresponding Norton Firefox Cleanup options will be enabled.  Turning off the options in Norton will deselect them in Firefox, and unchecking them manually in Firefox will disable the corresponding settings in Norton.  If you turn off both Norton settings, the Firefox option to "Clear history when Firefox closes" will automatically be deselected as well.

I would recommend making all of your choices in the Firefox settings.  Decide if you want Firefox to "Clear history when Firefox closes."  If you uncheck it, Norton's settings also turn off.  If you select it, go ahead and click the adjacent Settings button to get the screen pictured above and make your selections.  Norton's options will automatically turn on or off according to what you select.

TIP: Using the "Cookies" option here will remove even saved cookies that you have allowed, such as those used by websites to remember your login credentials.  Better to leave that box unchecked and use the other cookie settings in Firefox Privacy options to selectively manage cookies.  Also, do not check "Site Preferences" unless you want to customize your website settings again every time you revisit a site.

Kudos0

SendOfJive:

In Norton, selecting Firefox Temporary File Cleanup will place a checkmark next to Cache.  Enabling Norton's Firefox History Cleanup will put a checkmark next to Browsing & Download History.  It works the other way around, too (the Firefox and Norton settings are linked together):  If you manually select either of those options in Firefox, the corresponding Norton Firefox Cleanup options will be enabled.  Turning off the options in Norton will deselect them in Firefox, and unchecking them manually in Firefox will disable the corresponding settings in Norton.  If you turn off both Norton settings, the Firefox option to "Clear history when Firefox closes" will automatically be deselected as well.

I hope Symantec doesn't consider this a feature in NSwB or even NS.

How is this a feature in a Norton product? Mozilla added those settings to their program. It's a bit redundant to add control of settings into a separate program. I don't expect to open NS and be able to adjust the brightness of my monitor. These settings in NS or NSwB are no different than putting a check mark in "Clear history when Firefox closes" and selecting what you want to keep or delete.

Sorry if that's off topic. But I don't really consider this a feature in Norton products. It just leads to confusion and wondering why things are deleted even though they've been set in the program (Firefox in this case) to not be deleted.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x
Kudos0

It's called * adding features * 

Kudos0

SGFC:

How is this a feature in a Norton product? Mozilla added those settings to their program. It's a bit redundant to add control of settings into a separate program....These settings in NS or NSwB are no different than putting a check mark in "Clear history when Firefox closes" and selecting what you want to keep or delete.

Sorry if that's off topic. But I don't really consider this a feature in Norton products. It just leads to confusion and wondering why things are deleted even though they've been set in the program (Firefox in this case) to not be deleted.

I don't necessarily disagree, but there are a lot of features that have been in Norton products for years that would fall under this description.  And users do make requests for Norton to take care of things that are more properly handled by other programs.  What you say about clearing history in Firefox could just as easily be said about scanning for, and removing tracking cookies.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.