• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos79 Stats

Tonight's update crashing IE11

ADMIN UPDATE:

32-bit versions of Internet Explorer were crashing after Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) 20150220.001 definition package was applied to their Norton Products. We have released a fix for this issue through our LiveUpdate servers. See the Security Response Blog Article for more information.

Running NIS on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with IE11 (latest updated). Sometime this evening, IE11 started crashing. In fact, it crashed an already-open browsing session, and now trying to start it up just instantly causes a "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working" error.

Tried resetting IE11 settings to default. No change. Tried running IE11 in no-addons mode. No change. The error is shown as the following:

Source
Internet Explorer

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎20/‎02/‎2015 11:09 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    BEX
Application Name:    IEXPLORE.EXE
Application Version:    11.0.9600.17631
Application Timestamp:    54b31a70
Fault Module Name:    IPSEng32.dll
Fault Module Version:    14.2.1.9
Fault Module Timestamp:    54c8223b
Exception Offset:    000c61e2
Exception Code:    c0000417
Exception Data:    00000000
OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID:    4105
Additional Information 1:    4f07
Additional Information 2:    4f072c04aa91eb87d88d7dd565652530
Additional Information 3:    a15b
Additional Information 4:    a15b24e56acca2f6a7c59c85b7f20aea

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    204937294

Now, IPSEng32.dll is a Norton file. So I uninstalled NIS. Bingo - IE11 started working like normal. Re-downloaded and re-installed NIS. At the outset (said last updated 20 hours ago) IE11 worked fine. Then it auto-updated and applied a patch... and instantly IE11 stopped working again. Ergo, something Norton did is breaking my IE11. Doesn't seem to have affected another computer I have running IE10.

Any ideas?

EDIT: The other IE10 PC had been asleep and hadn't updated NIS yet. It is also now crashing in exactly the same manner as this one... and since that PC is almost entirely unrelated to this one in terms of software being used, this is going to be a bigger problem than just me.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Tonight's update crashing IE11

I have the same issue any fix available?

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Problem signature
Application Name:    IEXPLORE.EXE
Application Version:    11.0.9600.17416
Application Timestamp:    5452eed9
Exception Offset:    000c61d0
Exception Code:    c0000409
Exception Data:    00000005
OS Version:    6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033
Additional Information 1:    30c8
Additional Information 2:    30c826d384737870e89b65f8c8abe0fc
Additional Information 3:    1f03
Additional Information 4:    1f037fe8b02c4496f2b7e3acae7a3d75

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    3071312c517cb68fc8f9516f72c4f917 (81813771662)

Kudos0

Just update Norton product Manualy.

Problem solved

Kudos0

Solution:-

Go to Control Panel, Internet Options
On the Advance tab, under group security enable these two Options
"Enable 64 bit processes for enhanced protected mode"
and/or
"Enable enhanced protected mode"

This worked like a charm. Note: You may need to reboot after enabling protected mode.

Kudos0

Problem has now been solved, just re run live update and new updates will be download and installed. Which will fix the problem.

I have just done it about 5 mins ago and all sorted now.

Kudos0

Yes my IE works now!

Kudos2 Stats

Annoying - Yes,

Frustrating - Definitely!

It was driving us crazy, but to be honest that's a pretty quick service to find and fix and good to see your admittance of the fault - Thank You.

Kudos0

just ran live update and resolved the problem.

Symantec's QA team on vacation enjoying the weekend?

Kudos0

I have found a solution that works for me & may help this problem. I have Windows 8.1 64-bit. Go to Search if you can't access IE11 on the Desktop (IE11 works for me on the Start Page but not on the Desktop). Type in Internet Options, go to Advanced tab & tick box under Security 'Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode, then click Apply, then OK.  I don't know why this works but it does for me. 

Kudos0

Thanks temp fix worked !

see microsoft thread also a IE advanced tab fix is a temporary solution:
Thanks Geoff & JE Romaninx

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/internet-explorer-has-stopped-working/981b7912-7d93-46f0-84af-b0a72f306598?page=2

I think I have found a solution to Internet Explorer has stopped working.  I tried many, many suggested solutions, but the one that seems to be working is:
1)  Start/Control Panel/Internet options/Advanced tab/Security/Enable Enhanced Protected Mode.  You have to scroll down to the Security Section to find this.

See latest forum threads
Update: Symantec case # 20698787

Kudos0

Thanks fixed it temporarly:

see microsoft thread also a IE advanced tab fix is a temporary solution:
Thanks Geoff & JE Romaninx

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/internet-explorer-has-stopped-working/981b7912-7d93-46f0-84af-b0a72f306598?page=2

I think I have found a solution to Internet Explorer has stopped working.  I tried many, many suggested solutions, but the one that seems to be working is:
1)  Start/Control Panel/Internet options/Advanced tab/Security/Enable Enhanced Protected Mode.  You have to scroll down to the Security Section to find this.

See latest forum threads
Update: Symantec case # 20698787

Kudos0

thank you for this thread ! 
having the same problem and i have been trying to fix the issue on my parents computer that they need for work, this is extremely inconvenient as they only have the internet explorer application and not chrome, safari or firefox, so they can not access anything at all !
hope this is issue is solved in the morning

Kudos0

This issue was fixed very early this morning

Kudos0

It's fixed guys, manually download Norton update, and problem sorted.

Kudos0

I did this & it worked this morning before NIS updated.  Can you leave the "Enable 64 bit processes for enhanced protected mode" ticked permanently in Advanced Internet Options?

Kudos0

I had the same problem during an open session with IE.  Did some research and found I needed to uninstall Norton's.  I then went to the Norton's help and opened a chat session.  The tech help reloaded Norton's and all is fine now.  Looks like the problem is fixed.

Kudos0

This fix worked fine for me, thanks stonnemrh well done. Not sure if this would work for 32 bit systems.

Kudos0

i have get it work temp by putting the update to 19 feb 2015 date

Kudos2 Stats

Hi people

Issue has been fixed . Kindly run manual live update (right click on Norton icon on tray notification area > 'Run live update ')

Repeat  the step till it says no more updates  found and verify the update at path :

{C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton product name\NortonData\version number of product\Definitions\IPSDefs\20150221.001 }

ver 20150221.001

Kindly  stop using work-arounds.

regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Running Windows 7 IE 11 Norton 360. Checked security history and IPS signatures had failed during last live update. Re-ran Live update and was successful. IE 11 now works

Kudos0

Vivi_S:

I did this & it worked this morning before NIS updated.  Can you leave the "Enable 64 bit processes for enhanced protected mode" ticked permanently in Advanced Internet Options?

Hi Vivi_S,

You can keep ' Enable 64 bit processes for enhanced protected mode' ON.
But  it may disable your addons from working . Please take note of it.

regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Same problem here also. Started at the same time.

Kudos0

The problem is solved.Just run Norton Live Update

Kudos0

Just did another update and the issue with IE 11 is fixed. Now THAT's what I call turnaround time. Congratulations to Symantec, and Kudo's for the fact that these forums are actually looked at by the company, unlike those of some other manufacturers.

Kudos0

Yes, Its fixed.

Maybe you should lock the solution to the first post.

Thank you

Kudos0

Confirming.  Just ran live update and IE is running again.  (whew)

Kudos0

Win7 x64 2 PC's, had same problem logging in this morning (CT USA), had IE11 problem on both PC's.  Began reading this long thread, thanks to many members here that posted about it as I was going to do the same things, Image-restore, etc. 

Since this forum is on my daily morning "read" list, once I saw a 470+ post thread and its title, that actually was good since I knew this wasn't an MS update or malware, Router, etc, issue.

Just ran LiveUpdates.  I manually did it again and it picked up 1 more Update. 

As member Nikhil_CV just posted, IE11 working ok now.

Win8InFL:

Just did another update and the issue with IE 11 is fixed. Now THAT's what I call turnaround time. Congratulations to Symantec, and Kudo's for the fact that these forums are actually looked at by the company, unlike those of some other manufacturers.

Agree, it's hard to beat user forums for fast information about things like this.

Time to close Firefox and get back to IE11.

This incident reminded me that I installed a 2nd browser last year for backup reasons.  It's nice to have an alternative browser for situations like this where you can reduce the scope of the problem area fairly fast.

This is just one member's opinion here :  Given the bad timing, heading into the weekend here in the States, the fix came fairly fast. 

I try to look at the overall trend with a product.  I've been running N360 on 2 Win 7x64 PC's for a little over 2 years and this has been the first major issue encountered during that time.

I guess it's a "glass half-full" thing with me since we didn't lose the 'net connection with the bad Update (Ethernet Adapter driver issues, etc)

Windows 7x64 Home Premium OEM Ver / MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E / CPU: Intel i5-650 / RAM: 16 Gb Corsair DDR3
Kudos0

Here in Finland, just got a repair update via LiveUpdate. IE working again!

Kudos0

I have the same problem driving me nuts

Kudos0

Hurray, just ran Norton Live Update on our 5 computers and normality is restored.

Don't ever do this again Norton, my nerves are in tatters!

Dave.

Kudos0

It's been resolved for me, deleted all history settings and have internet explorer back up and running!

Kudos0

Yes ladies and gentlemen, doing a manual Norton live update does indeed seem to resolve the problem. Good night and good luck.

Kudos0

Same problem here, details included below:

Problem Event Name:                        BEX

Application Name:                             IEXPLORE.EXE

Application Version:                           11.0.9600.17631

Application Timestamp:                     54b31a70

Fault Module Name:                          IPSEng32.dll

Fault Module Version:                        14.2.1.9

Fault Module Timestamp:                  54c8223b

Exception Offset:                                000c61e2

Exception Code:                                  c0000417

Exception Data:                                   00000000

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             2057

Additional Information 1:                  5d6e

Additional Information 2:                  5d6ef9135253aecf38a5211f52813d05

Additional Information 3:                  0d78

Additional Information 4:  0d78b5f7b5aa516f13d946df3667918d

I will keep an eye on this site for a possible solution to the problem?

Kudos0

I have the same problem with IE not working as all of you guys so I'll wait for the Symatics to fix the .dll problem.

However I have Chrome installed on the same laptop and that's working OK.

Kudos0

It‘s  OK after the Liveupdate. Thx.

Kudos0

It was fixed. Just run liveupdate

Kudos0

Me too. This is a beyond a joke. Cannot use E11 on either of my PCs and have been forced to make Google Chrome by default browser. Will someone please sort this out.

Kudos0

Simply run live update from Norton. Worked on both PC's I have.
Kudos0

The problem was caused by the Norton update and can be solved by uninstalling the Norton product and downloading the latest version and reinstalling it. I have several computers running Windows Vista and Windows 7 and they all experienced IE crashes as soon as the update was installed. It only affected Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox seemed to still work.

After uninstalling Norton 360 Internet Explorer stopped crashing then I downloaded and installed a fresh copy of Norton 360 on all of my machines and they are all working fine now.

Kudos0

Problem fixed itself when Norton apparently auto-updated while I was reading the posts in this thread.

I have an older Vista computer running IE 9 and Norton Anti-Virus.

Here was my error report:

Problem signature:
  Application Name:    iexplore.exe
  Application Version:    9.0.8112.16609
  Application Timestamp:    54b5c951
  Exception Offset:    000c61e2
  Exception Code:    c0000417
  Exception Data:    00000000
  OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    f117
  Additional Information 2:    6c2c5041d4b04748f0f856f824a2dc20
  Additional Information 3:    47d1
  Additional Information 4:    4091a620dbd1eb6930571d5868ded409

Kudos0

Hello Everyone.

Had the same problem last night. Started around 0100 American Eastern. However, I could run the app version of IE11, which brought me to this thread.

Just Ran Norton LiveUpdate a few seconds ago, and viola! fixed.

Fin

Kudos0

found a solution that worked on a Microsoft blog

on my pc running windows 7

Go to bottom left corner open search

type in internet options

go to advanced

go down to security

enable 64bit processor

apply and restart

fixed mine

wish I could find post again to thank person

Kudos0

I faced the same problem and it was solved by few steps

I have Norton 360,

Open Norton 360, click on Settings, Firewall, then click on Intrusion and Browser Protection,

Then in the second part next to Browser protection, switch it Off, it will ask you for how long choose 15 minutes, then Apply and close,

Open internet explorer and it will work.

After that go back and do the same steps but switch the Browser protection On again.

and please update your antivirus .

GOOD LUCK

Kudos2 Stats

WOW - what a mess that created for awhile!  I hate to admit it - but I missed it all!

Being a creature of nature, I usually shut down for the night around 6 PM CST, and then fire my systems back up around 7 AM CST the next morning.  I shut down prior to the ISP update last night and I always run a manual LiveUpdate first thing after boot in the AM, thus I got the non-problematic IPS Defs this AM.    So when I checked my ISP Defs - it shows two folders - one from the 19th (20150219.0002) and the one I received this AM from the 21st (20150221.001) thus the IPS Def last night dated the 20th was never on my system.

I have to pass Kudos on to Krusty13 for hanging in on this thread and getting the necessary notifications to the right folks. 

Kudos0

Not knowing what was going on before I read all these posts, I called my ISP and they told me to switch my default over to Google Chrome, made it the default browser and was back up and running.

I know it might not be the solution for all but it worked for me.

Going to try the manual (re)updated of Norton and see what happens, I am much more comfortable using the Window IE than Chrome.

Thanks all for your input.

Kudos0

Yank

Glad you missed the fun .  My fun wasn't too bad since I usually sign into my PC's around 5am CT so I just waited for the patch and ran with Firefox for a while.

What's the complete file path location for the IPS Def folders?  I was looking around for the location this morning when I thought about trying one of the posted workarounds but I didn't spend a lot of time searching for those folder locations.

Windows 7x64 Home Premium OEM Ver / MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E / CPU: Intel i5-650 / RAM: 16 Gb Corsair DDR3
Kudos0

I have the same problem.

Kudos1 Stats

jeremys:

found a solution that worked on a Microsoft blog
on my pc running windows 7
Go to bottom left corner open search
type in internet options
go to advanced
go down to security
enable 64bit processor
apply and restart
fixed mine
wish I could find post again to thank person

All settled, bud.
Undo your work-around(not necessary  in your case , I assume  you meant the 'Enhanced protection mode' and ) just run the live update  for your  Norton Product .

ref: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6230411#comment-6230411

Kudos0

@yank : This was a very hot topic over for hours. Hundreds of users logged in just for the same issue.
Never saw that much  rush here ever. Online users count reached around 200 people at a time. (+ assume ms community users  and non-registered visitors )

@ Scoop8
Check this: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6230411#comment-6230411 Its for my Norton Security  with Backup. But yours will be identical . Watch for modified time stamp of the folder.

Kudos0

CHECK YOUR WORK !

So, on spec I'm up and running. 2-machines idle untouched, waiting for the fix. Up OK.
1-machine churned with fixes for the duration of the failure. Reinstated to my default spec.
Ran LiveUpdate. Ran QuickScan, OK. Ran FullScan, OK. Ran PowerEraser, OK
Could try SuperAntiSpyWare & MalwareBytes, later, when I've had break.

I feel NORTON/SYMANTEC ought to give us all 1-years Free Subscription. Could submit that as an idea ?

Be safe out there !
The Silver Surfer.
AK. [ "Concordia Res Parvae Crescunt" ]

Kudos0

Got the same problem on my IE 10 Windows 7 PC.

My problem is solved by going to "Control Panel", "Uninstall a program", "Turn Windows feature on or off", uncheck the IE box, click Ok, then come back to "Turn Windows feature on or off" again, checked the IE box, click Ok. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.