• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos79 Stats

Tonight's update crashing IE11

ADMIN UPDATE:

32-bit versions of Internet Explorer were crashing after Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) 20150220.001 definition package was applied to their Norton Products. We have released a fix for this issue through our LiveUpdate servers. See the Security Response Blog Article for more information.

Running NIS on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with IE11 (latest updated). Sometime this evening, IE11 started crashing. In fact, it crashed an already-open browsing session, and now trying to start it up just instantly causes a "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working" error.

Tried resetting IE11 settings to default. No change. Tried running IE11 in no-addons mode. No change. The error is shown as the following:

Source
Internet Explorer

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎20/‎02/‎2015 11:09 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    BEX
Application Name:    IEXPLORE.EXE
Application Version:    11.0.9600.17631
Application Timestamp:    54b31a70
Fault Module Name:    IPSEng32.dll
Fault Module Version:    14.2.1.9
Fault Module Timestamp:    54c8223b
Exception Offset:    000c61e2
Exception Code:    c0000417
Exception Data:    00000000
OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID:    4105
Additional Information 1:    4f07
Additional Information 2:    4f072c04aa91eb87d88d7dd565652530
Additional Information 3:    a15b
Additional Information 4:    a15b24e56acca2f6a7c59c85b7f20aea

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    204937294

Now, IPSEng32.dll is a Norton file. So I uninstalled NIS. Bingo - IE11 started working like normal. Re-downloaded and re-installed NIS. At the outset (said last updated 20 hours ago) IE11 worked fine. Then it auto-updated and applied a patch... and instantly IE11 stopped working again. Ergo, something Norton did is breaking my IE11. Doesn't seem to have affected another computer I have running IE10.

Any ideas?

EDIT: The other IE10 PC had been asleep and hadn't updated NIS yet. It is also now crashing in exactly the same manner as this one... and since that PC is almost entirely unrelated to this one in terms of software being used, this is going to be a bigger problem than just me.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Tonight's update crashing IE11

PROBLEM SOLVED BY NORTON! (Thanks nikhil_cv for advising above).

Right click on Norton icon on tray notification area > 'Run live update ')
This should remove a couple of the older folders from
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\NortonData\21.1.0.18\Definitions\IPSDefs\ and create this new folder:  20150221.001

I just did this and now IE11 works.  Good luck.

Kudos0

Got a live update at 8:17 this morning and I am posting this with IE 11.

Kudos0

All good again. Thanks Forum.

Kudos0

@ Scoop8
Check this: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6230411#comment-6230411 Its for my Norton Security  with Backup. But yours will be identical . Watch for modified time stamp of the folder.

Thanks for the info.  I found the IPSDefs folder and the update folder 20150221.001  (size 6.82Mb).  My IE11's been running fine since I ran the LiveUdate about 6am U.S. CT but my N360 version # is not the same # as the folder name.  I guess it's not a problem but wasn't something I expected to see.

I'm running N360 ver 21.6.0.32 and the folder name is   C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\NortonData\21.2.0.38 

Windows 7x64 Home Premium OEM Ver / MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E / CPU: Intel i5-650 / RAM: 16 Gb Corsair DDR3
Kudos0

I had the same issue when there was an update to IE11. I believe I found a solution that worked for me. Go to your firewall settings and search for internet explorer. Select option to block and click on apply. Open IE and the app will remain open. Close IE and go back to your firewall and change setting to allow and click on apply. Go back to IE and it should work. Not a computer expert but trial and error fixed my issue. I hope this helps everyone.
Kudos0

I'm running Win 8.1 Pro and had the same issue last night. After reading this post I went into setting an turned off Safe Surfing and Norton Tamper Protection. IE started right up after I did this. I cut them back on and its still working.

Kudos0

Interesting, I had the EXACT same symptoms as all of you, last night and when I first got on my computer this morning.

I opened up my Norton Internet Security and clicked on Support, then "Get Support" and it ran an auto fix which "successfully fixed 1 item" although it didn't tell me what that item was.  So I went to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\21.0.1.3\Definitions\IPSDefs

and sure enough, there was an additional folder, dated this morning and now my IE is fixed.

Hope this helps.  I'll post this on the other thread, as well.

Kudos0

I am finding the same thing - My IE crashes on my PCs with N360.  I was able to get one of my PCs IE to work again by shutting off IE and then turning it back on.  I tried it on my other PC and it did not work.  Go figure.  Am waiting in line now to chat with a Norton tech

Kudos0

Fixed! 
Running Live Update worked.

Kudos1 Stats

Try running Live Update again. The issue that I confirmed on separate computers (Windows 7 and Windows 8.1), both running NIS (v21.6.0.32) last night appears to be resolved on both after NIS applied five new updates. Thanks to Symantec for the speedy resolution. There's no such thing as perfection when it comes to software - especially something as complex and necessarily invasive as security software. I'm a fan of Norton/Symantec because they've always been responsive to issues when the arise - just like this time. It was good timing that this occurred on a Friday evening. Hopefully many users will never know there was a problem when they get to work Monday morning!

Kudos0

I was on the phone with Dell last night for almost two hours and they could not fix. Then I noticed that my second computer had the same problem. I did a system restore to the previous day and all was good. I then went in and turned off Norton LIVEUPDATES and all is good for now. Hopefully Norton will address this as there are going to be a lot of computers affected.

Kudos0

Just finished chat with Norton.  They are aware and are working on it.  They suggest using Chrome or Firefox.  They suggest checking back in 24 hours.  Does any one know where the best place is to check on the Norton web site for updates on this issue?

Kudos0

Same problem with both my Windows 7 and my Vista and I too have Norton.  Really sucks.  Hugs

Kudos2 Stats

ALL - THE IE11 CRASH PROBLEM HAS SOLVED BY NORTON A SHORT WHILE AGO.

MANUALLY RUN LIVE UPDATE OF YOUR NORTON PRODUCT (right click on Norton icon on tray notification area > 'Run live update ')

This will remove a couple of the older folders from C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\NortonData\21.1.0.18\Definitions\IPSDefs\ and create this new folder: 20150221.001

I just did this and now IE11 works. 

GOOD LUCK

Kudos0

Me too.  IE11 crashed on a , Windows 7, 64 bit pc.  Seems like this should have been a pretty basic configuration test case.

Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.9600.17631, time stamp: 0x54b31a70
Faulting module name: IPSEng32.dll, version: 14.2.1.9, time stamp: 0x54c8223b
Faulting module path: C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\N360_20.1.0.24\Definitions\IPSDefs\20150220.001_f63\IPSEng32.dll
Report Id: 15567a7d-b9a7-11e4-9a6d-60d8199f9b6a

Kudos0

Good Morning everyone.  It seems Symantec has an update.  Run live update and problem now fixed.

Kudos1 Stats

Yeah, the update fixed the problem on my three computers.  I give kudos to Symantec for quickly issuing a fix.  I give a huge thumbs down to them for the lack of  communication, though.  Where was the notification sent out to users telling them of the problem??  I wasted all of Friday night trying to fix this problem and was up until 2 am trying to solve this.  It was only because I happened to stumble across another website that mentioned the problem with Norton that I discovered where the problem really was.  I'm sorry, Symantec, but your lack of communication is ridiculous.  I would suggest you discover this wondrous new technology called email to keep your customers from wasting countless hours trying to fix your mistakes.

Kudos0

Thanks to Sunfox for his original post last night which I came across after spending an hour trying all sorts of things to fix and isolate the problem with my IE11.  At the time, there were no responses, and now, the morning after, wow.

I uninstalled NIS last night and my IE immediately began running again.  It sounds like fixes are in place or in process and I can again reinstall NIS (using Windows Defender for now).  

Kudos0

Would doing a system restore help?  If I turn off automatic updates from norton?  

Kudos0

I had same problem running Windows 8.1 with I.E. 11.  When it crashed I was watching a National Geographic Documentary, I.E. just hung with error message I.E. not responding kept trying to reopen browser.  I was able to use I.E. App in Windows 8.1, as I had no other browser installed.  Weird thing about experience I was just on a chat session with Norton Technical support regarding Norton's 360 not detecting Trovi.  I let the tech remote access into my computer he ran Norton diagnostic tool, a full scan and backup ( I was able to go to Binny's by a cigar a six pack came pack still running). After running backup, scan diagnostic tool.  Tech reported no problems,  I explained that I purchased Spyhunter(4) to remove Trovi from an external hdd not the computer he he was logged into.  To make a long story short watching documentary via I.E. it crashes, I thought corrupt setting.  I turn off and On I.E. 11.  I disabled all the add-ons, I tried to reinstall I.E. 11, I run another full scan with 360, I also run a full scan with Spyhunter(4) wake up this morning and I.E. 11 is working fine. 

Kudos0

Oh gosh. I hope that works. Doing a system restore right now....probably a good thing, since I uninstalled many programs before I found out it was Norton issue. 

Kudos0

I have Norton, I actually had 360, then it was running out and bought the latest version Norton Security. That worked well for a few days, Then last night my Windows Explorer browser in Windows 8.1 would not open without totally crashing. Would not open, only got an error 'BEX' . I had to roll back my computer to a couple days ago for my MSIE Browser to function again! it was 3 hours of hell to try to get my computer working again!

Kudos0

Koz, knowing Symantec not only will the person not get fired..they will probably be promoted!  :)

Kudos0

I just ran Norton 360 live update, got one, and then restarted my computer. IE 11 on windows 8.1 platform is now up and running.
Kudos0

Right Click on the Norton 360 icon on the taskbar and  Select the Go to Get Support and let it run the automatic fix. I did this and IE11 opens correctly without crashing.

Kudos0

This appears to be fixed this morning.  Run Live Update (I had to do it twice to get it to "take" and install a major update [+350MB] ) and let it do its thing.  It works after that, for me.

You do end up with duplicate IPSDefs folders though... which will probably remedy itself after a while.

Kudos0

I ran live update, even tried some of the fixes that were listed on here, and nothing seems to make it work again.  

Kudos0

Scoop8:

@ Scoop8
Check this: https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6230411#comment-6230411 Its for my Norton Security  with Backup. But yours will be identical . Watch for modified time stamp of the folder.

Thanks for the info.  I found the IPSDefs folder and the update folder 20150221.001  (size 6.82Mb).  My IE11's been running fine since I ran the LiveUdate about 6am U.S. CT but my N360 version # is not the same # as the folder name.  I guess it's not a problem but wasn't something I expected to see.

I'm running N360 ver 21.6.0.32 and the folder name is   C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\NortonData\21.2.0.38 

Hi scoop8,

The version number I took the liberty to bold in your quote is the version that was used for the last installation of N 360.  I am running Comcast's NSS (a clone of N 360) and mine shows 21.1.0.18 - which is the version on the Comcast download server.  My NSS is in fact version 21.6.0.32, after all the updates required to get there from 21.1.   You can compare this to the many updates required to get a CD version up to current version.

Hope that's clear.

Kudos0

With the new Update IE 11 works fine again for me.

The tipp from Chipster had worked for me during the day.

MfG
MDuss

Kudos0

Same problem here.  Have spent the morning trying to fix.  Was running IE 11 and Windows 7.  Had open browser windows and came back to PC to find "Internet Explorer has stopped working" message which could not be exited out of without going into task manager.  Tried restoring system to earlier date, no luck. Tried reinstalling a new version of IE 11, no luck.  Ran a Norton scan, indicates no problem.  What's up Symantec?  Fix this please.

Kudos0

Spent hours going through event logs, fixes, last night on a problem that had been fixed previously by a quick trip into system configuration on my Windows 7.

Thank goodness for this forum.  After identifying IPSEng32.dll, all that was needed was to open the support tab in Norton Security Suite.  Clicking "Get Support" led to Norton Autofix, and the resolution of the problem.

Good response time by the Norton people and many thanks to those on this forum.

Kudos0

Thank you again Norton!

Kudos0

There has been a critical update.  The problem has been patched.

Kudos0

Same thing happened.  Go to Control panel, click Network and Internet, Click Internet Options, Internet Properties will pop-up,  go to Advanced, Hit Reset.....    Should be good to go..   Your tool bars will be reset so don't forget to just turn them back on...   Hope this helps.....    Tim  

Kudos0

Live Update Worked!!! SO Thankful for this forum. IE was crashing on Both my laptop and PC at the same time! Norton Live Update solved the problem!!!

Kudos1 Stats

Yeah. It's fixed. As SeaBee noted a LiveUpdate (which I received at 3:49 MST today, 2/21) disappeared the problem. The problem was caused by an earlier LiveUpdate at 9:10 MST yesterday. The problem wasn't helped by More Stupidity from Microsoft which caused it to open yet another error popup when you selected the option to close IE, resulting in a cascade of error popups. Nice feature. 

Kudos0

I have both windows 7 and windows 8, and IE crashed on both machine! 

I would be happy to switch to another browser, but one of my application require IE. 

Stupid thing to do. I'm considering a different anti virus software. 

Kudos0

Had the same problem.  This morning I used Norton update to check current 360 info and it said i was up to date.  I tried IE11 and all worked OK.

Suggest running Norton Update and see what happens.

Kudos0

Norton finally put out a new update that fixes the problem.  Just do a manual update and your IE will be back to normal.

Kudos0

Power on CPU last night.  Open IE 11 and walked away for 5.  Came back and IE 11 crashed.  Spent 2 hours troubleshooting, remove IE 11 (registry and all), and re - install.  Same.  Then started with ISP and router.  Tried Chrome and low and behold, it worked!

Thank you Chrome!  Called it a night.

After restless night, woke up this AM and found this thread.  Thank you to Krusty13 02/21/2015 2:32 AM and to Nikhil_CV 02/21/2015 2:43 AM and 4:03 AM posts.  Never would've guessed Symantec.  Ran LiveUpdate, shut down and restart for safe measure, and IE 11 is back to good.  Today feels like a Chrome day!

Many thanks to one and all for your contributions on this thread!

Kudos0

wasafan:

Koz, knowing Symantec not only will the person not get fired..they will probably be promoted!  :)

No I don't think Norton works like the Politicians in Washington, DC. Who ever did it at Norton probably has already been fired.

Btw, Thanks Norton for the Quick Fix.  

"Top Safe Web Reviewer with over 23,000 Reviews."
Kudos0

Same issue over here...

Kudos0

Hi ChaChe,

Please manually update your product if the issue persists. Read more:https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6230411#comment-6230411

regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

Hello ChaChe

Please try running live update. The new IPS definitions should have already come thru automatic live updates.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Seems to be fixed now... 64 bit Win 7 ultimate, IE 11.

Kudos0

I had the same problem on two computers.  One is running Norton 360, the other NIS.  The same solution fixed the problem on both computers.  I just ran a "Quick Scan".   It found no problems except for tracking cookies, but once I had run it, the problem was gone and IE is working normally now

Kudos0

Late Friday night (actually, early Saturday morning here), I uninstalled Norton Security, reinstalled it and immediately disabled live update and was able to use IE 11.  Saturday at noon, ran live update, it downloaded and installed the patch, and now I'm running IE 11 with updated Norton.  Problem fixed. 

Kudos0

Ugh..I thought I was the only one! I've been trying since last night to complete a report that can only be done using IE. My Google Chrome works just fine but I need IE to finish my work which is now past due! I've tried the IE based tab for GC but it's still not working like regular IE. I hope they get this fixed soon before I lose $$! 

Kudos0

Sorry to have to disagree with you. A Buffer Overflow Exception (error type BEX) is caused by the IPS dll in Norton 360 causing IE to crash. It was the patch to Norton 360 that caused it not a bug in IE. I had seen this happen in the past, and disabled the add-on, and that took care of it for years. However, something in the update in question caused this to occur even if the add-on was disabled. Kudos to Symantec for paying attention to these posts, unlike other manufacturers who don't pay attention to theirs, and taking care of the fault with a patch within 24 hours or so.

Kudos0

Thank-you so much to Sunfox for the original information and those of you who replied to run LiveUpdate!!  

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.