• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Registering SystemWorks 2005 Premier now always gets Server failure

Product had been working without incident since 2005 (including 2 days ago).  Had an issue with a different Norton product, so Symantec Tech Support remotely ran Norton_Removal_Tool.exe, which I noticed had deleted all Norton folders in c:\program files .  After re-installing SystemWorks successfully, attempted to re-register using the Register Product feature in the tool itself, but I now get a consistent "Connection to the Symantec server could not be established".

After talking to Tech Support again, they indicated they cannot help me get this product registered (since my account doesn't show this product as purchased anymore and they also indicated that the product key on the CD is no longer valid), nor can they resolve the Symantec server not working.  They asked me to use this forum to resolve this issue.

Any ideas?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Registering SystemWorks 2005 Premier now always gets Server failure

Unfortunately, as the forum is supported by volunteer users trying to help from our knowledge and experience with the products. Subscription and product key issues can only be handled by Norton Support employees. Have you tried Support Chat yet again? Sometimes all it takes is for you to connect with an agent that can think outside the box (read---script).

Any chance you had a backup image of your system? Restoring that might also restore your problem with the other product, but then you could come back here for help with that.

You could try a Windows System Restore to see if that would work. That can also cause problems with your other Norton product, but again we should be able to help with that.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hello

Norton System Works is no longer supported. I doubt that customer support can help in this matter. When was the last time you had a paid subscription for this program. The program also has an old antivirus part. The registry cleaner probably couldn't handle today's registry. If you are interested in a replacement product, some users are using Norton Utilities instead. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I bought this product when they offered a perpetual license, so my lawyer cousin tells me this is covered by the federal UPC statue. Also, since this is running on a Windows XP PC, all tools work successfully.  I noticed that Amazon is offering a new and unopened version of SystemWorks 2009, so does anyone know if the connection to the Server will work without error?

Kudos0

FWIW ~ Perpetual License simply allows use of without license renewal. 
So Symantec will not terminate the use of an installed copy of System Works after Symantec terminates product support. But, eg: Symantec will not allow the software to be reinstalled if activation is required, like re-installing after rebuilding a computer with a new hard-disk.
..as to server failure... over my pay grade...

Kudos0

I could see that being my problem if I was the one that removed this product.  In this particular case, it was Symantec Tech Support that remotely removed the product (trying to fix a software bug in another product).

Since Symantec removed it, why is it my problem that I can't get it re-registered, with Tech Support indicating they cannot help?  

Doesn't it seem fair that the party that caused the problem be the one to fix it, since they are the party with access to the server?

Kudos0

Mr Steve,  I hear ya' ...

2.2. Liability Release. Symantec will have no liability for loss of or recovery of data, programs, or loss of use of systems(s) or networks arising out of the Support Services or any act or omission, including negligence, by Symantec and/or its representatives.

Start a Remote Session > By clicking Connect you agree to the Terms and Conditions

Kudos0

As I asked above.....

Do you have a system backup that you can restore?

Did you look into trying the Windows System Restore?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

No, I couldn't activate System Restore on my new C: drive Flash Drive, because there wasn't that much free space available before the copy, so I had to remove restore, then do the copy to the flash drive.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.