• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Urgent!! Norton security SONAR keeps turning off itself

Hello all, i'm new here but i'm very angry with this product.

I've got norton security since june. It was all fine and i've never had this disturbing issue before.

Here's the problem: since yesterday, norton security becomes red and says ''SONAR is off, the system is at Risk. fix now''.

the sonar feature is greyed, in the Setting menu the last mark ''protect norton from alterations'' is white.

i can't turn them on manually and the problem goes and comes randomly!!

Tried unistalling and reinstalling many times even using the removal tool. 

Tried putting ''norton'' in malwarebytes' exclusion.

Maybe it's a bug,  since i haven't changed anything on the system and it started to happen suddenly by itself yesterday.

Someone may give me the answer!?  it's very FRUSTRATING!!! 

Labels: Auto-Protect

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Urgent!! Norton security SONAR keeps turning off itself

i'm seriously disappointed with this product. never thought norton could give me so much frustration for a sudden issue that i didn't commit. (it came out suddenly, my pc pretty health and clean, nothing changed)

If any norton employee is going to help me with this damned issue i'm sure i'll quit norton forever, and i won't suggest it to anyone. 

Kudos1 Stats

I am having the same problem with this Norton Security Sonar !! Just as you described !! Very frustrating.I paid Norton good money so I would not have to worry about these issues!

Kudos1 Stats

hi

It seems after an update of virus definitions and other Live updates different settings are greyed out I did see a possible explanation but I forget in which thread, it happens with my Norton. A restart of your computer will usually correct the situation.

Michael

Kudos0

Stop telling me, i uninstalled and reinstalled norton security 4 TIMES and Rebooted 129381239418 times, checked pc clock...

SONAR turns off, norton goes red, Tamper protection disables itself randomly, the problem comes and goes.. 

i got this problem since yesterday and it's not a problem of mine since other people is having this and i didn't change anything.

i paid money for this product, i'm very angry because a bug in your product is messing up my clean computer by not giving it the protection you granted.

few more day i'll give, if no norton employee pops up to help me or a live-update fixes this, i'll quit forever norton, i won't suggest it to anyone and i'll pass to kaspersky since it has less problems. 

thank you and sorry for my awful english but i'm really angry.

Kudos0

hi ParanoiaBoy

When you uninstalled Norton did you use the Norton Removal Tool or just uninstalled via Windows?

Often when uninstalling Norton or any anti-virus program it is good to do a complete removal with the respective Removal Tool provided by the Company.

What anti-virus did you have before Norton?

Michael

Kudos0

hi michael, thanks for your reply;

i tried both: unistalled it by the option ''unistall norton security'' and by using the removal tool, had the same problem.

i bought norton security last month, on june, when my last norton 360 expired. it has been 1 month without any problem, this issue popped up suddenly yesterday.

Kudos0

Hello ParanoiaBoy

Have you tried what is suggested in this KB?

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security/22.5.2.15/solutions/v23920845_ns_retail_en_us 

Please come back and let us know how you made out. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

hi, the norton security menu is red ''sonar is off''. if i check on the setting menu, the SONAR option is GREYED. 

at the same time, the ''tamper protect'' box is white and i can't turn it on since it comes back. 

Kudos0

any help?...

Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi @ParanoiaBoy & @Garlicgirl55

Thanks for reporting this issue and we'll let our teams know about this. 

Could you please tell me your Norton product version? 

I'll get back to you when I have more information or require more logs / information from you.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

I have the recent " Norton Security With Back Up"  Version 22.5.2.15  I have tried using the removal tool and restart . The problem flashes on my screen periodically.

Kudos0

My norton product is Norton Security (no backup)

the version is the latest, Version 22.5.2.15. 

Thank you Mohan and garlicgirl!

Kudos1 Stats

Sonar Advanced Protection Inactive I'm using Windows 7 64bit, Norton Internet Security v. 22.5.2.15, and this activity has just started. Only it takes over 1 minute for it to become active.

If I try Get Support while it is inactive, I can be waiting over 5 minutes for anything to happen with Get Support.

Kudos0

Since many users has stated this same issue recently, i suppose norton is going to fix it soon, isn't it? we'd like to know what this issue is..

Kudos0

Sonar no longer works after my upgrade to Windows 10.

Norton version 22.5.2.15

numerous auto fix attempts have failed.

several reboots have also failed to correct the issue

this is the ONLY issue I have had with an otherwise flawless upgrade

Kudos0

Hi @rgibbs, Can you please let us know what is the error message displayed on Norton Product interface, Norton product name installed? Also, Please post a screen shot of the error message. I have sent you a private message with steps to collect logs for this issue. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I had this same issue. A second reboot of my computer fixed the problem.
Kudos0

Hello rgibbs

Have you run live update until no more updates and restarted after finishing the live updates.?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I have just noticed this, when the Get Windows 10 icon shows up in my toolbar, that's when Norton Security Sonar turns on as well. As I said earlier, this is usually over 1 minute after Windows 7 finishes loading.

Kudos0

Where is the new removal tool. Been using NS with no issues in W 10, but tonight Sonar Stopped Working and NS can't fix it. Bye Bye. Where is the new NS Removal Tool. Like so many other security suites NS is not ready for prime time with Windows 10. I think I am reverting to W 8.1. W 10 is no Big deal and it's causing a lot of issues with several of my programs. 

Kaspersky loses a lot of features in its new Windows 10 upgrade. Nothing important, just small stuff like Self Protection, LMAO

Emisoft IS 10 - Firewall doesn't work right and users have been officially advised to turn it off and uses Windows Firewall.

Malwarebytes Anti Malware Premium freezes and you can't uninstall it.

Those who waited to upgrade to W 10 were wise.

Kudos0

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hi @hok,

I've sent you a Private Message requesting logs, Please check it when you get a chance.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi:-)

Everything is AOK after a reboot. Sorry for the panic attack :-)

NS still keeping my PC safe :-))

Kudos0

I think the reason I panicked is that NS had been working flawlessly till last night and as I have reported earlier, a stuck upgrade to Windows 10 on my 4 month-old PC rendered it un-bootable and irreparable. Had to get a new one shipped from Amazon overnight. So I am sensitive to problems caused by Windows 10 and no fan of Windows 10 and the many issues it is causing program vendors of  all types of software. I was perfectly content with Windows 8.1 and saw no big deal with Windows 10, though there may be some improvements under the hood. On my new PC Windows 10 rendered one of its sound enhancement apps useless (Creative Cinema). I may revert to 8.1.

What happened last night I do not know. I am using Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium also. Perhaps a temporary conflict. Not sure why I am even using MBAE other than I paid for it(and it auto renewed for another year)  and its an excellent tool. BUT in a recently published independent Exploit Test, NS scored equally as well as MBAE :-) Both scored 100% at blocking the tested exploit examples.

It also might have been caused by a temporary glitch in the Symantec Servers. Minutes before I was not able to connect with Live Update, but like the Sonar Problem, both were short lived. NP :-)

From what I have read, seen, and experienced, (I have several still active licenses for other Security Suites), NS is working the best of all of them with W 10 and never causes an issue with any other of my programs.

In the Real World there is no such thing as 100% perfection, 100% of the time :-)

100% perfection exists only in the Realm of The Divine.

Kudos0

hi Hok

As far as I am aware MBAE and Norton work quite well together in general however, I have seen a couple of posts where it would help to exclude certain files in each of them so they do not cause each other problems. I do not know nor remember but I'm sure somebody who does will visit the thread and able to offer advice on this.

Michael

Kudos0

HELLO????!!! is Norton caring of me? i bought your product, it's shameful you're not helping me at all.

It's been 3 weeks since the problem has started, everytime i try to reinstall norton security, no matter how many times i reboot the system.

It's not a problem of mine 100%, so what are you waiting to fix this issue, Norton?!

Kudos0

NS 2015 is simply not ready for prime time or anytime for that matter. Besides Vista Security Error 5038 with BHDrvx86.sys, there is an iPod freeze issue (Norton Community Link HERE)

Then there's Norton Error 3048,3 = sometimes.

Vista also is experiencing a application event Error 1000, DEP (data execution protection). This error is likely caused by Apple and iTunes and perhaps Vista's (Microsoft) DEP. It would be nice to re-boot with NS 2015 completely off for troubleshooting, but this is not possible. NS 2015 may / may not also have a hand in this (Firewall) ... turning it (really) off would be nice.

I recommend staying away from this product until fixed (in many ways).

The last few years Norton have released buggy products  and takes a couple updates to get them up to par. Link HERE

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.