• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

LiveDrive performance issues / mouse behaviour

I was wondering if by any chance anyone had come across this issue? I contacted them with the following:

Posted on: 21 June 2015 21:34

Hi,

I have a really annoying issue with live drive. It seems that whenever live drive is scanning or indeed backing up on my machine I lose all control of the mouse pointer and it moves in phases therefore giving a jumping effect and its unusable. If i kill the live drive process from task manager when I eventually get to it then the mouse behaves normally.
Surely this defeats the point of live drive if i have to end the process. Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? I am running it on a windows 7 and windows 8.1 pc and they both seem to suffer this issue.

There response after i informed them of my anti virus solution was as follows which does kind of make sense!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the confirmation. We have had several customers that use Symantec anti virus recently that have been experiencing issues with the upload speed and the performance of Livedrive, after extensive testing we've found that this has been caused by a recent update that Symantec have released.

We currently have found two workaround's to resolve this issue;

The first is that if you restrict the band width used in the Livedrive software seems to rectify. To do this open the Livedrive Settings > Bandwidth > Reduce uploads to 250 KB/s . This will slow down the transfers however so is not a long terms solution.

The second option is to remove the encryption between your computer and Livedrive. To do this open the Livedrive Settings > Security > Untick "Encrypt all file transfer between my computer and Livedrive" This option changes the port to transfer data from TCP 443 to 50234. Again this is less secure but means that the software should be able to use full bandwidth to transfer data.

Due to the nature of the second workaround it would seem that Symantec have become more aggressive with their scanning on port 443 as turning off this encryption will mean that Livedrive uses port 50234 instead.
We would ask you to advise your customer to contact Symantec and let them know that they are using a software that is transferring data over TCP port 443 and try to work with them to get a resolution.

If you have any other questions please do let us know.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: LiveDrive performance issues / mouse behaviour

Hello,

with me is the same since May (Low upload rates and high CPU usage with freezing of the system (E.g. mouse behavior)). Since end of may I'm support contact. On Tuesday 23rd June, diagnostic data was collected again. The solution with disabling the encryption works, but is not the idea.

Kudos0

Yeah I am so pleased this is not just me. I have actually had to turn off Encryption to resolve the issue. Im not sure what has changed but I have registered the issue with Norton and I am hoping they come up with a solution.

The only other thing i can think of is trying to create a firewall rule for port 443 to allow tcp icoming and ougoing connections

what have you done?

Kudos0

Hi schweppes & Aqua-Dream,

I have sent you a private message requesting some information. Could you please check your inbox? Thank you.

Gayathri Rajendiran
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

@Gayathri - I sent you an PM.

@Schweppes - Switching off the firewall or the creation of new rules has brought nothing. Livedrive gets all rights typically required by automatic program control. I waiting for a confirmation of the Norton support about how to resolve the problem at the moment. For larger file (photos in the RAW format) I disable the encryption in live drive at the moment (I got also here the tip through your post in the Forum, thank you for that!)

Many thanks

Mario

Kudos0

Hi

I have the same problem and have received the same response from LiveDrive.  Has anyone from Symantec offered a solution yet as turning off the encryption is not an option for me.

regards

Kudos0

Hello

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Please send a PM to Gayathri_R. You will notice a post from the Admin requesting some information. Just tell the Admin you just joined and you would like to get the information also.  To send a PM, you will notice a inbox above with a picture of an envelope next to it. Click on that and it will bring you to the PM system.

If you have any further questions, please come back. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.9.0.71 IE 11
Kudos1 Stats

Hey thank you, Flo. I have responded to Kevin's PM.

Cheers,
Gayathri Rajendiran
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

I also have this issue and would appreciate any advice available.

Kudos0

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry about the issue you are facing. Currently, we have sufficient information to look into this issue. But I will contact you if I need further data. Thank you so much for coming forward to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Gayathri Rajendiran
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

Hello Gayathri

You are very welcome.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.9.0.71 IE 11
Kudos0

Hi all,

I have the same thing and have spent many hours in 4 chat sessions with Norton support. Thus far they appear to know nothing about it, only today I was told I am the ONLY person reporting this problem. One support guy tried defragging my SSD to help (...and I trusted him to take control of my pc?!?!).

I have already passed on lots information about the issue, even to senior techs, but it feels like I am talking to deaf ears and the information is going nowhere; my last case log only stated that I was instructed to re-install NIS.

LiveDrive staff gave me the link to this thread and I am pleased that someone within Norton seems to know there is an issue. Although to be fair it's hard to tell at this point with whom the actual fault lies; Norton or LiveDrive. The only thing that is clear is that a ~May Norton update has triggered it.

If anyone from Norton or LiveDrive wants to contact me for more information you are very welcome to do so.

Thanks all, G.

Kudos0

Hello Gary

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

It looks like Norton has all the necessary information for now to try and analyze the issue and come up with a fix. Please read this Permalink by clicking on it. Thanks.

Kudos0

Doe's anyone know if updating to Window 10 solve the issue? Or, is there any new about a fix yet?

Kudos1 Stats

I too have the problem and the encryption workaround has worked for now, but this needs solving. My client has been a long time Norton user, they are due for renewal in October (quite a few machines) if this isn't fixed by then they will want to move AV solution (to Kaspersky) as this is causing a massive impact in their business

Please get a solution to this as soon as possible and announce when the solution is out there so I can then make sure it is updated and tested. - Don't just fix and not tell anyone as in October if I have heard nothing I will have to assume this is being ignored :(

thanks

Tristan Martin

Kudos0

Hello Gayathri

Could you please update this thread please? It's been a while now since you posted in this thread. Users would like to know also if going to Windows 10 will fix this issue. Not all these users want to go to Windows 10 now.

@Gayathri_R

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

No change in Windows 10. same issue and same temporary solution is to untick encryption

Kudos0

Unfortunately not encrypting data is not an option for me as it's customer data. Why is Norton taking so long over this, do you think it might be linked to the fact Norton do their own backup solution? Maybe Norton are slipping back to their old ways. Shame.

Kudos0

I have exactly the same issue, however, maybe this should be directed to Livedrive?

All my staff have the same issue too, if we save large files to livedrive it can last for minutes while it uploads/downloads.

Its terrible, I would estimate it started since May too.

Kudos0

Hi,

I'm sorry about the inconvenience. We are looking into this issue. I will update this thread when we have more information that we can share. Thank you.

Gayathri Rajendiran
Symantec Corporation

Kudos0

I have the same problem as other users with livedrive and Norton.

I hope there will be an update from Norton soon

Kudos0

Hello All

Have all of you tried contacting Norton Tech Support about this problem? Perhaps if they become aware of the issue, they can do something about it. This Forum is mostly a user to user Forum. Symantec staff some times stops to post in the threads. Symantec Employees have red tags under their names like I have a blue tag.

Link for Norton Chat.

.Please contact the free chat program by using this link.

http://www.norton.com/chat

Please come back and let us know how you  made out with Chat.

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

The Norton-support knows the problem since May. I had many chat-sessions with the support and they does not have a solution.

Regards.

Kudos0

I have had several sessions with Norton internetchat and they say I am the only one with this issue. Never Heard about this problem before. Could it be that Norton in Sweden is unware of this?

Kudos2 Stats

This is the final answer from Livedrive:

We appreciate your frustration with the issue however, this issue only occurred as a result of an update from Symantec. There are no other reports from customers using alternative anti-virus application and some customers have already confirmed that Symantec have resolved this issue for them.

Unfortunately, while we were able to diagnose the issue, its resolution does reside outside of our support remit however, as a temporary measure you can remove the encryption between your computer and Livedrive. To do this open the Livedrive Settings > Security > Untick "Encrypt all file transfer between my computer and Livedrive" This option changes the port to transfer data from TCP 443 to 50234. Again this is less secure but means that the software should be able to use full bandwidth to transfer data.

I really don´t want such an unsecure solution.

"Som customers have already confirmed that Symantec have resolved this issue for them". It may be so, but that is not a fact for Symantec in Sweden. They say they have solved this issue on my computer. So, why am I still having this problem??!!

Kudos1 Stats

It is sad that even when they know the exact problem that this hasn't been fixed. 3 months is enough time to put in a fix, can you please confirm an ETA so that we can decide if we need to change to another package as renewal dates come up?

Kudos1 Stats

Hi

I reported this problem in July, so far no response from Symantec other than "we are looking into it!".

I support about 100 customers who all have between 20 and 30 PC's using Livedrive and Norton.  When their subscriptions come up for renewal guess who won't be getting the AV renewals business.  I have also recommend the same course of action to a number of work colleagues and associates. 

3 months is long enough to fix a problem you created and your lack of feedback is staggeringly arrogant in this day and age. 

I know my little protest will not make much difference to the revenue streams but i can see this catching on big time....then you may be looking into..... "a big dark financial hole!"

Kudos0

Norton be customer-oriented. A lot of us have this problem so inform us what you do to solve this problem.

Kudos0

What is ETA?

Kudos0

Hello Gayathri,

The last reply from you (Norton administrator on this forum) is from 4 september 2015. What is happening?

Kudos0

Hello

Have you all notified Chat about this issue?

.Please contact the free chat program by using this link.

http://www.norton.com/chat

Thanks

Kudos0

Yes I have notified chat about this and got the answer that they are aware, others above have also stated that they have spoken to support via live chat. It is nice that they are aware, but I suspect that we would prefer them to do something with that awareness.

Kudos0

Livedrive are rolling out V3 of their software - this does NOT fix the issue. But importantly the ability to turn encryption on and off is no longer available (might still be available if you have briefcase - I don't).

If you need the encryption option, think before 'upgrading' Livedrive.

If anyone know if this option has been hidden somewhere please post to let us know.

PS. Livedrive V3 - You also lose the list of files being uploaded.

Kudos0

Gary C,

I agree - I also miss the list of files being uploaded.

But in some way V3 solves the problem. Now you are able to schedule the time for uploading.

Go to Settings. Click on Backup Selection. Manage Schedule. There are two options. Either you scan folders every 1, 2 ... hours -

or scan every day at what time you prefer. If the chosen time one day or Another isn´t perfect, just go to Dashboard and click on Backup now.

Now there is no problem with the mouse behavioru!

Kudos0

Hi Stefan,

Well, it adds a 3rd work around option, but don't forget it takes away the option to switch encryption. I don't know if encryption is permanently on now? Mine is and I cannot turn it off (not that I want to as I am backing up customer data).

I have noticed, however, that the performance hit on my pc is different since upgrading to V3. The mouse/sound/graphics stuttering is now much faster. Almost like it's not quite as bad, which begs the question who's program is actually at fault, Norton or Livedrive?!

Kudos0

Hello

Although I don't know about encryption, I did come across this article the other day.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/truecrypt-critical-flaws-revealed-its-time-to-jump-ship/?tag=nl.e064&s_cid=e064&ttag=e064&ftag=TREe331754

I know that True Crypt is a different program...

Thanks.

Kudos0

Has anyone else noticed since upgrading to version 3 of Lifedrive that the performance hit seems a little different? In that, the frequency of the stuttering is much higher. Or the pauses in the system are much shorter.

IE. if playing music at the time of an occurrence of the issue, each STOP in the music (during the stuttering) last a shorter amount of time.

This suggests changes Livedrive have made in V3 has had a direct effect on the performance issue; suggesting that Livedrive may have the ability to solve the issue.

I have passed this information to Livedrive.

SEPARATE NOTE:
If you wish to view the detailed list of files currently being backed up you CAN still access the list by pressing Ctrl+Shift+S when in the Livedrive control panel.

Regards
Gary

Kudos0

This is also what I have discovered. And Gary, thanks a lot for the tip of showing the detailed list of files currently being backed up!

So, the version 3 is really good.

Regards

Stefan

Kudos0

Gary, thanks for the CTRL-SHIFT-S. This is what I missed in th new control centre.

At this time my PC is backing up a lot of Photo's and the mouse is constantly stuttering (I have Norton to).

The mouse is only stuttering when backing up a lot of "small" files. When I backup a 40GB file the mouse is not stuttering during the backup. 

Why does Norton not solve this problem. A lot of users are complaining.