• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NS2015 FIREWALL AND HOME NETWORK ACCESS

Recently, I set up a network after binning the Homegroup (too unreliable).  This is between a laptop and a PC, both on Windows 10 and both with NS 2015.  Access from the laptop to the PC is a problem and the Laptop generally gives me the message: 'Cannot access PC'.  If I turn the PC Firewall off, then the laptop can access the PC.  If I leave the PC Firewall on, and the laptop Firewall off, I still cannot access the PC from the Laptop. 

Have spent several happy hours with Norton on-line support and yesterday we added  specific IP addresses for both computers.  That worked until everything was turned off, then the same problem occurred: I can access the Laptop from the PC, but not the PC from the laptop - please excuse the bold, it's just to make the sequence easier to see. 

I have checked the Traffic rules and apart from the occasional difference in sequencing, they are all the same.  Any idea what should the sequence of rules be?  If it's not that that's causing the problem: any ideas please?

Thanks.

Labels: Firewall

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NS2015 FIREWALL AND HOME NETWORK ACCESS

Make sure PC network trust level is "Private". You can check this setting here Settings->Firewall->General Settings->Network Trust.

I am not sure what type of access you are talking about. In Public network, Norton Firewall blocks some of the windows services by default,but you can also try enabling individual services in Settings->Firewall->General Settings->Traffic Blocking Exemptions.

Thanks,

Madhan

Kudos0

Thanks, but there's no change. However, I use a Netgear wifi extender and that seems to be stopping the laptop accessing the PC.  Tried it using (no access to the PC) and not using the extender (full access to the PC). The PC has no problem accessing the laptop at all.  Seems as though it's  a fault with the extender.  Many thanks anyway, but all suggestions appreciated.

Regards.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

The fact that Norton no longer has a network map facility is a weakness, so I downloaded Netgear Genie which displays the network complete with IP addresses.  By connecting wirelessly via the Home Hub and then via the Netgear extender it was obvious that the connection via the extender (my usual one) was blocking he 2 computers communication, although the PC usually worked.  So, I created a new rule in Norton traffic Ruleon both computers to allow (using their discrete IP addresses) each computer 2-way access to the other computer.  It worked.  It was a Firewall problem all along.  While the Norton on-line support did their best, they were working at a level above this one; it needed specific IP referencing.  Validated the modification by using the Laptop in a different part of the house via the Extender and, after a few moments both computers communicated with each other. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.