• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos79 Stats

Tonight's update crashing IE11

ADMIN UPDATE:

32-bit versions of Internet Explorer were crashing after Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) 20150220.001 definition package was applied to their Norton Products. We have released a fix for this issue through our LiveUpdate servers. See the Security Response Blog Article for more information.

Running NIS on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with IE11 (latest updated). Sometime this evening, IE11 started crashing. In fact, it crashed an already-open browsing session, and now trying to start it up just instantly causes a "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working" error.

Tried resetting IE11 settings to default. No change. Tried running IE11 in no-addons mode. No change. The error is shown as the following:

Source
Internet Explorer

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎20/‎02/‎2015 11:09 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    BEX
Application Name:    IEXPLORE.EXE
Application Version:    11.0.9600.17631
Application Timestamp:    54b31a70
Fault Module Name:    IPSEng32.dll
Fault Module Version:    14.2.1.9
Fault Module Timestamp:    54c8223b
Exception Offset:    000c61e2
Exception Code:    c0000417
Exception Data:    00000000
OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID:    4105
Additional Information 1:    4f07
Additional Information 2:    4f072c04aa91eb87d88d7dd565652530
Additional Information 3:    a15b
Additional Information 4:    a15b24e56acca2f6a7c59c85b7f20aea

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    204937294

Now, IPSEng32.dll is a Norton file. So I uninstalled NIS. Bingo - IE11 started working like normal. Re-downloaded and re-installed NIS. At the outset (said last updated 20 hours ago) IE11 worked fine. Then it auto-updated and applied a patch... and instantly IE11 stopped working again. Ergo, something Norton did is breaking my IE11. Doesn't seem to have affected another computer I have running IE10.

Any ideas?

EDIT: The other IE10 PC had been asleep and hadn't updated NIS yet. It is also now crashing in exactly the same manner as this one... and since that PC is almost entirely unrelated to this one in terms of software being used, this is going to be a bigger problem than just me.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Tonight's update crashing IE11

so what happens if you do the latest live update (and something did download), then continue till its the latest version, restart the computer, and STILL have issues with IE ?

at least yesterday,  i was able to get into the chat, and they said they are aware of a compatibility issue, and they will ring me today or tomorrow.

Well there was no phone call today, and I'll rather not wait till tomorrow for an issue that happened days ago.

Chat isnt available at the moment-  either due to too high traffic, or out of hours. Any idea when the chat will be available ?

Kudos2 Stats

jack wallstreet:

Krusty13,  While I appreciate all your work on this item, I would like to answer your thread where you disagree with Kaosmax when he says "Symantec has still not acknowledged the problem" and referred to a thread or two on the forum where a Symantec rep apologized.  Nonetheless, I agree with Kaosmax4u that Symantec still has not acknowledged the problem.  What Kaosmax meant by that is that there was no mechanism that Symantec used to let people know that there was a very serious problem that Norton had caused..  This was important because it caused people to lose internet access and did not have Norton as an obvious cause.  As you see by this thread, people spent many hours trying to identify and fix the problem.  In at least one case, hard dollars were apparently spent.   Have a thread on a forum is not really acknowledging the problem in a way that is helpful to most people in this situation.  Doing a press release of somehow getting coverage that can be picket up by search engines would likely be the best thing to do.  But I don't expect Symantec to ever have a policy to do something like that, unfortunately.  So, yes, it is accurate to say that "Symantec has still not acknowledged the problem".

The issue is fixed now, rather quickly I thought.  It's not the first time a major software distributor released a bad update that screwed many user's systems.  Think Malwarebytes  -   https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/125182-yesterdays-datab...

While I'm not excusing Symantec for this seriously flawed update, I just want to point out that any and all software companies sometimes stuff up.  Here is another example  -  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/sas-found  ...Need I even mention Microsoft?

Since this recent issue occurred on a weekend, at least it was / is here in Australia, you have to understand that there aren't / weren't many employees working, and as soon as the issue was raised I notified some key Symantec employees which were right on to it  -  thanks goes to Gayathri_R.

Perhaps with the start of the new week someone may post a comment to acknowledge the serious issue, but as I'm just a user like you I cannot promise an announcement.

Thank you for your time replying to me but as I feel I have worked overtime with this thread already I feel I'm done here.

Wishing you all the best,
Krusty13 Dave

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

What resolved my IE 11 issue.
I worked with Norton support to completely remove the Norton software with nrt (Norton Removal Tool).
However this DID NOT correct the issue with IE 11.
I went back to a restore point a month ago (before 3 Microsoft updates). IE worked fine.
Shut off Microsoft automatic updates.
Installed Norton (Comcast version) from a link provided by Norton support.
Went through all the Norton updates (restarting) between updates.
When Norton finally said it was completely updated, tested IE, no issues.
At this point I have held off any automatic Microsoft updates that's something for another day.
I think it's the perfect storm on some systems (mine is OEM Win 7 x64, with all the updates now less the last 3 sets) with a bad Norton update and a bad Microsoft update.
Hindsight being what it is, I think I would start with a restore to a prior point, using a point a month ago seemed reasonable as IE was working fine then. Hopes this helps.

Kudos0

has this been fixed yet??

Kudos0

This Softpedia link was posted in a thread about this issue at BleepingComputer.com about Norton's acknowledgement of the issue.

This part of the statement from Norton got my attention in the Softpedia post:

In a statement released today, Symantec confirms that the problem was entirely caused by a corrupt antivirus definition update but says that only few users were actually impacted by this error.

I probably wouldn't have characterized the underlined part of the statement as indicated.

Windows 7x64 Home Premium OEM Ver / MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E / CPU: Intel i5-650 / RAM: 16 Gb Corsair DDR3
Kudos0

I have experienced the same issue, and when I called Microsoft, they advised me to run Norton Updates (!) which I did - and running the update completely wiped out my IE 11 executable file.  No longer there ...... Now on a chat w/ microsoft who are trying to tell me it is a Norton issue & responsibility.  Rubbish.

Kudos0

get to internet options through the control panel, click advanced tab, down to security and tick enable enhanced protected mode. says need to restart but I didn't have to, it just worked straight away.

hope this helps, mart.

Kudos1 Stats

I have already posted the SOLUTION

I faced the same problem and it was solved by few steps

I have Norton 360,

Open Norton 360, click on Settings, Firewall, then click on Intrusion and Browser Protection,

Then in the second part next to Browser protection, switch it Off, it will ask you for how long choose 15 minutes, then Apply and close,

Open internet explorer and it will work.

After that go back and do the same steps but switch the Browser protection On again.

and please update your antivirus .

GOOD LUCK

Kudos0

If anyone still experiences issues even after applying the recent Norton patch, you can go through the steps in this guide: http://windows7themes.net/en-us/how-to-fix-internet-explorer-has-stopped...

There are a bunch of options that may help you to verify that no other extension is causing the issue

IE can crash due to script errors and since Norton fixed the problem on their side, you should not ignore other possible causes 

My suggestion is to double-check that you have the latest definitions installed, rebooted and then look at other possible problems that may cause your browser to crash. 

Kudos0

Same thing happened to us in our campus. There are to ways of solving this issue:

1 - Manually: Run Live update manually

2 - Remotely (Auto): Using SepLiveUpdate.exe from the command prompt (Altiris)

We solved/tested by running Live Update , but since we have hundreds of computers, we ran Live Update from the command prompt remotely via Altiris. The job runs "SepLiveUpdate.exe" on the client automatically and this fixed the issue across the campus preventing us from having to run it manually on every machine. "SepLiveUpdate.exe" runs Live update from the command line and is located by default in "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SepLiveUpdate.exe" (unless you changed the install path during installation). There are no switches for the "SepLiveUpdate.exe" command that I know of or at least you do not need any for this fix.

Kudos7 Stats

Hi everyone, just to make sure you received some official Symantec information about this issue. Over the weekend, 32-bit versions of Internet Explorer were crashing after Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) 20150220.001 definition package was applied to their Norton Products. We have released a fix for this issue through our LiveUpdate servers. Simply run LiveUpdate to resolve it.

For more information about the issue, please see the Security Response Blog article on the subject. Thanks.
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/corrupt-ips-definition-package-imp...

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

While I'm not excusing Symantec for this seriously flawed update, I just want to point out that any and all software companies sometimes stuff up.  Here is another example  -  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/sas-found  ...Need I even mention Microsoft?

As I posted earlier, we should ask Symantec/Norton to provide us the ability to roll-back definition updates, or allow previously applied updates to be re-applied, overriding the latest update.  When Norton applies new definitions, it does not even create restore point on the computers, assuming System Protection has been turned on.  This should be on the top of their priority list. Many software companies, including Microsoft to some extents, have provided such capabilities. 

Kudos0

If Automatic Live update installation (which happens frequently, atleast once an hour) was to create restore points, that will take a HUGE time for installing updates as well as you will be creating atleast 5 to 10 restore points a day!
It will have large performance impact IMO.
regards, CV | There is no ONE TOUCH KEY to security . Be alert and vigilant. . | Always have a Backup Plan!
Kudos0

If anyone still experiences issues even after applying the recent Norton patch, you can go through the steps in this guide: http://windows7themes.net/en-us/how-to-fix-internet-explorer-has-stopped...

The above link did not work for me.  In my case, that's OK -- my issues were dealt with by the update.  I only point it out in case it fails to work for someone else.

Kudos0

You can control the number of active restore points by limiting the space reserved on the hard drive.  Obviously, the best option is for Norton/Symantec products to have their own rollback feature.  The rollback can also be implemented by storing the last successful definition update prior to installing the latest definition update; to rollback, the user just need to apply the last successful definition update and turn off Liveupdate for a pre-defined period of time.  With this feature, the users will have more control on their computers and do not need to wait for Symantec to fix the issue, and the computers remain protected.

Kudos0

I think everyone already knows what happened. I want to know why it happened.

Kudos0

Hello ren

The link that Tony_Weiss posted will explain more about the why and how it happened. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.11.2.7 Core 213 I E 11
Kudos0

I'm having the some problem

Kudos0

Hello

Don't think the cause is the same since we haven't had any one else complaining about this. I use IE 11 and haven't had any problems tonight. Check your internet connection if you are having IE problems.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.11.2.7 Core 213 I E 11
Kudos0

I'll probably go back and check both boxes but just checking the 64-Bit box fixed it for me!

Kudos0

A recent update seems to be crashing Internet Explorer 11 for me with Norton Toolbar turned on, it only seems to effect some websites but it makes these websites unusable, no issues with Norton Toolbar turned off, but of course I don't want to be unprotected. Has anyone else been having these issues?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.