• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Does N360 Offer Any of the Ghost Feature Compatibility

Howdy, folks.

I am a legacy Norton Ghost user who recently upgraded (?) to the existing backup program I have had in N360. It appears to be lacking, at least in the existing GUI, on the level of support/options offered versus it's predecessor. I have some questions. My apologies if this is buried in a FAQ somewhere.

• Is there a way to get more granularity on options?
  • Are the backups masters only? If not, how do I do incrementals?
  • Restorations seem to be limited to only the current vintage. Is there a way to select by backup date? Assumes 2, above, is "no."

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Does N360 Offer Any of the Ghost Feature Compatibility

I am a legacy Norton Ghost user who recently upgraded (?) to the existing backup program I have had in N360. It appears to be lacking, at least in the existing GUI, on the level of support/options offered versus it's predecessor. I have some questions. My apologies if this is buried in a FAQ somewhere.

The Norton 360 backup is not a successor to Ghost.  It's a fairly basic file and folder backup tool for user data only and not an imaging program.  

Is there a way to get more granularity on options?

No, just the options on what files and folders to backup and where to save them.

Are the backups masters only? If not, how do I do incrementals?

Although people here call subsequent backups "incrementals"  they really are not true incrementals by definition.  The backup is basically a "mirror" with no versioning, each consecutive backup replaces files that have been changed or adds new files that were not present in the last backup.  That's why you see that each file is "limited to only the current vintage".

Dave

Kudos0

Re: Does N360 Offer Any of the Ghost Feature Compatibility

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the info. Is there an image program you would suggest?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.