• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton security issues with Windows 10?

Hi all,

Recently I got a new labtop that came with Windows 10. However for a couple of times in a row right after I installed Norton Security and downloaded the updates, I will have problems starting Windows 10. There will be a blue screen saying "Your PC did not start correctly, Press restart to fix the problem or Advanced options to try other repair options", and I can't do anything other than performing a systems restore or reset the PC, either option will restore my PC to the original status. The way I installed Norton Security is I logged into my Norton account and downloaded the files. I checked my package of my Norton and it didn't say it supported Windows 10 (I bought the software last year in Best Buy), however I'm guessing if I download Norton from my Norton account it should automatically install the latest version which will be compatiable with Windows 10 right? If anyone experience this problem and know a fix please let me know. Thanks.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton security issues with Windows 10?

hi Mark

The method by which you installed Norton is a correct way of doing it, as you say it will give the latest version which is 22.5.5.15.

One thing comes to mind is that usually new laptops have at least a trial version of an AV pre-installed, which one was this and did you uninstall and use the appropriate Removal Tool for that make of AV. This can cause problems, if you let us know which product we can probably direct you to the correct place to download the removal tool if not already done.

Michael

Kudos0

Hi Michael,

The labtop came with Mcafee internet security. I did not remove the application manually before installing Norton, however in both cases I ran the Norton installation program and it automatically detects Mcafee and ask me to uninstall it. I just clicked uninstall and it automatically runs the uninstallation program, and asked me to restart the computer and continued installing Norton. I had no problem with this restart. But after I installed Norton and ran the Live update, and then restart again I ran into the issue I described.

Kudos1 Stats

When I bought two new Acers both had McAfee on them and you had to run the McAfee uninstall and then download a McAfee removal tool to make sure they had indeed begone.

I got in a right mess before I found out about the second tool you had to download, MCPR or something like that... then and only then is McAfee gone and its safe to crack on with something else...

Cheers,

David

Kudos1 Stats

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

So I should recover my PC and try to remove McAfee before installing Norton? Which is better, do a systems recovery or reset the PC? Thanks
Kudos0

You do not have to recover the PC. I would suggest just running the McAfee removal utility from Krusty13's post above. Then restart your computer. Then to be sure you have a clean install of Norton, download and run the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool from   www.norton.com/nrnr  This will get you a clean install of your Norton product. Be sure you read the Before you Begin section.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi Peter, The problem is as of now I am unable to boot into Windows. Every time I try to turn on the computer it will direct me to the blue screen and I either have to do a recovery or reset windows.
Kudos0

I'm still having the same issue after I tried to completely remove Mcafee before installing Norton. Here is a detailed record of what I did this morning:

1. Reset the PC to recover my computer to original purchase state.

2. Uninstall Mcafee from windows uninstaller. Restart computer, went OK.

3. Download and run the MCPR tool and completely remove Mcafee. Restart computer, went OK

4. Run the Norton removal and reinstall tool to remove Norton. Had to choose advanced options -> remove only since if I chose default remove and reinstall it said no Norton product detected.

5. Restart PC, no problems

6. Go to Norton account and download Norton. Install and restart PC. No problems here.

7. Shut down the PC and start again just to make sure. No problem again.

8. Run Norton Liveupdate and apply latest patch. Then restart PC. Unable to boot into Windows and I was taken to the blue screen again.

3x in a row now Windows won't boot properly as soon as I apply the latest update for my Norton security, so I'm pretty sure that's where the problem lies. Can anyone give me some other suggestions?

Kudos0

If you're resetting your PC back to as you got it delivered why're you running step 4 if it didn't have Norton on it?

And if McAfee runs OK why not use that, there's nothing wrong with it, it seems to be going back up the charts at long last.

When I got my Acers I uninstalled McAfee, ran their removal tool, and installed Norton with no problems. But that was after something very similar to what you describe except for me I was  having a carry on installing AVG at that point.

But had I noticed McAfee was now regarded as "OK" I would've probably left it at that for a while tbh.

Have you disabled Fast Startup on your laptop? That can cause some problems with Norton.

Kudos0

Hello Mark Lee

Instead of going to your Norton Account to get the installer for Norton Security, please try this link.

Norton Security

Please remember to run live update until it says no more updates are available and then reboot again.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.