• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Windows 10 update stopped because Nortons Security turns off Windows Defender.

Hello Group,

I run a PC which has been upgraded from Windows8.1 to Windows 10. On this I run Norton Security. Latest version fully updated.

By default Windows Defender is turned off by Norton Security. I am happy with this.

However I have been unable to download the latest Microsoft Updates (Windows 10 Home. Version 1511 10586)   After repeated attempts at an install I get the error message 0x800705b4

Microsoft tell me this is because Windows Defender is not turned on. If Windows Defender is turned on, the update should complete.

I cannot find any way to turn Windows Defender on, without uninstalling Norton Security fully.

Turning off NS by a disable of Smart Firewall and Auto-Protect, does not work. The WD does not turn on when I go to the settings. The download also fails as before.

Does this mean, if I have Norton Security I cannot get the latest Windows Updates?

All the advice from Microsoft Windows is to Uninstall Norton Security.............that Microsoft  response is not helpful.

With millions of people upgrading to Windows 10, will Symantec find a fix for this problem? If not, I imagine lots of customers will be abandoning your products because they want to run updated PC's.

Your advice is much appreciated.

With regards

Castillonia

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows 10 update stopped because Nortons Security turns off Windows Defender.

Are you talking about KB3122947? Or multiple updates?
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.11.x
Kudos0

Re: Windows 10 update stopped because Nortons Security turns off Windows Defender.

Maybe this suggestion can help for a Windows Update error.

https://www.thegeneralistit.com/blog/2015/10/02/fixing-windows-10-update...

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I had the same error occurring a little while ago. I solved it by re-enabling the Windows Firewall service and restarting the PC. The Windows Firewall is still listed as "Off" in Control Panel/ Security and Maintenance. I had disabled the service because I could not see the point of running it with NS running, but a number of Windows processes seem to require the Firewall service to be up and running, including Windows Update.

ASUS G750JX - Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 (14393.953) - NS 22.9.0.71 - Firefox 52.0 x64
Kudos0

I have the same problem regarding WD updates. I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7.1 to Windows 10 in July and I had problems upgrading my Norton Product. A very helpful Norton Support worker upgraded my Norton Product remotely., however when I access the Norton product it's still listing my laptop as running version 7.1 Also since the upgrade I have not been able to access the links within Norton 360 premier edition contained within the help centre tab. Any advice and are these issues related?

Kudos0

however when I access the Norton product it's still listing my laptop as running version 7.1

Did you by any chance "renew" your subscription to the older Norton Product (N360?) by applying the key from the newer Norton Security product that you purchased? Or alternatively did you upgrade on top of the older product by installing the newer Norton Security product that you had purchased?

If so this listing as still the earlier product is known to Norton since I encountered doing support outside the Norton Forums and have had lengthy discussions with Norton about this -- it was the first time I had encountered this happening.

Could you let me know the details of what you did and what happened and I'll raise it with the Norton person I dealt with.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi Huw,

I have given details below of how Norton was upgraded but I was being a bit of a 'numpty' and I still think there is something definitely wrong with the installation but the part relating to Windows 7.1 is a red herring. This is just  the name of my device  listed on Norton not the windows version. I feel really stupid. Please accept my apologies. 

I checked Norton website to see if I had newest version on my laptop and an upgrade was available, which I downloaded but I could not get it to run. I therefore contacted Norton and one of the support team remoted on to my laptop and did the upgrade for me, unfortunately I do not know what he did. Funnily enough though, the same thing happened last year and a support worker had to fix it for me. When she was finished, there was a trial version showing and also the old N360 files were still on my laptop. These are no longer visible.

I have checked my automatic renewal details and under devices, it states the product is Norton 360 (no mention of premier), however under the product details it states its Norton 360 Premier and the product key is the same under both of these items. I've just checked and it appears the facebook scan is no longer working either. I'm a bit worried now that my pc is not protected as I cannot update Windows Defender (this service has stopped running) and Norton is now in a flakey state.

Hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you need any further info.

Thank you for this.

Linda

Kudos0

No problem -- no need to apologize. It was just sounding so close to the situation I was dealing with elsewhere that I wanted to find out more. Even the confusion about the Windows 7 name is the same so I worked out how that happens (Norton picks up the information from your System Information since it has nothing else to tell it what your friendly name might be. If you want it to show Device with a name linked to the specific computer it is on, give the operating system drive in that computer the friendly name in its Properties -- right mouse click on the specific drive or partition with the operating system in as it shows in Windows Explorer or Disk Management and click on Properties and there's a box with a name in so change that to the friendly name.

I'm fairly sure about one thing -- installing a security program Norton or another automatically disables Windows Defender so that is why you can't get it to run.

I've just checked and it appears the facebook scan is no longer working either. I'm a bit worried now that my pc is not protected as I cannot update Windows Defender (this service has stopped running) and Norton is now in a flakey state.

Since your activation/subscription seems to have worked OK I suggest concentrating on checking that Norton is properly installed. I've never used the Facebook scan myself but I think I've seen reports that there may be problems with it at present.

See if Peter or one of the others can help you on the details.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello SGFC.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay this end.

I believe the KB3122947 is part of the  Windows 10 Home Vesion 1511 10586 update.

Though all I get is the error message that the 1511 10586 has not installed.

With regards

Castillonia.

Kudos0

Hello Peteweb,

Thanks for the help and suggestion. Sorry for my delay in reply.

I am afraid that the suggestion on the link, did not work at this end.

With regards

Castillonia.

Kudos0

Hello Alan Russell,

I thought I would be in luck with your approach.

I have tried to re-enable the Firewall on windows, but every way I try is tells me Nortons (3rd party) has disabled it.

Nortons does seem to rigidly control the situation.

With regards

Castillonia.

Kudos0

I must admit the whole situation seems to be constantly frustrating.

I have the same problem on two machines. One  upgraded to Windows 10 and another machine bought last month with Windows 10 installed.

I have run XP for many many years, along with Norton Products, all the Windows updates fully downloaded when they were issued. Until XP stopped being supported.

Then on Windows 7 there was no conflict over updates, when I ran Nortons Internet Security and Anti Virus on a notebook with no problems.

Recently as originally stated above,  my Windows 8.1 worked fine with both.

I cannot understand why running modern third party software stops me updating my Windows Updates. So in effect Nortons is stopping me getting the latest fixes and patches and the security from Microsoft.

With regards

Castillonia.

Kudos0

castillonia:

Hello Alan Russell,

I thought I would be in luck with your approach.

I have tried to re-enable the Firewall on windows, but every way I try is tells me Nortons (3rd party) has disabled it.

Nortons does seem to rigidly control the situation.

With regards

Castillonia.

What Alan was referring to was the Windows Firewall Service. Not the actual program. Click on the Windows Start button and type Services. Right click on the Services Desktop App, and Run as Administrator. Find the Windows Firewall Service and be sure it shows the Status as Running.

Kudos0

castillonia:

Hello SGFC.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay this end.

I believe the KB3122947 is part of the  Windows 10 Home Vesion 1511 10586 update.

If it is KB3122947 there were quite a few that had trouble installing it. Windows update didn't want to install it and would say it failed. I searched with Google "KB3122947" and found several results stating users were having trouble with this update that showed up on Dec. 4th Finally I found a solution that involved using an elevated command prompt and a command line to force the update through. On another PC in the house with AVG the update is still there and hasn't installed. From reading the Knowledge Base article it seems like this update was for those who experienced some settings changed after another update. So I figured maybe Microsoft wasn't applying this update to everyone.

Force the update read here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/kb3122947-fails-with-error-code-80070643/e980202f-d084-4a30-87ef-732a3a648b32?auth=1

KB3122947 what is it here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3122947

"a very small number of users may have had their settings for Advertising ID, Background Apps, SmartScreen Filter, and Sync with Devices incorrectly set to the system defaults."

If you click "retry" in Windows Update try and see what the KB number is.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.11.x
Kudos0

Hi I was chatting with Norton just now and they said the issue has been resolved. The exact words were:

"This is a known issue to Norton, and was occurring due to the latest Live Updates, this issue was taken care of and engineer's have resolved this issue recently."

Have you guys resolved the issue of Defender not being turned off when you have a Windows update and are running NIS? I am interested because I want to upgrade to Windows 10 but don't want to do this until the issue about updating is resolved. Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks Hugh, you have been very helpful . I will check (or get some-one else) to check the installation.

Many thanks once again,

Kudos0

I just updated Norton and re-ran the Windows Update and I am still getting this error:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.211.2659.0) - Error 0x80070643

My problem is that Defender is turned off and won't update. I cannot enable Windows Defender via the Security panel nor via services and so cannot get it to update. 

When is this alleged fix supposed to hit LiveUpdate? Did they say?

Kudos0

No sorry they didn't. I suggest you go to 'Chat' and flag up your specific error. It's all very annoying and why I am not committing yet to upgrading to Windows 10. Best Tricky

Kudos2 Stats

Here is what fixed the problem for me:

Download the Norton installer from your account.

Uninstall Norton using Windows uninstall (keeping settings), then restart.

Windows Defender should then be running. Open WD and do the update.

Go to Settings, Update & Security, Windows Defender and turn off Real-Time Protection, Cloud Based Protection and Automatic Sample Submission.

Be careful not to click any pop-up boxes as WD may easily start again.

Reinstall Norton using the installer that you downloaded.

Kudos0

Yes but is that a one-off solution or do you have to do that every time you want to update? 

Kudos0

I believe WD will now be permanently off.

If I go to Settings, Update & Security, Windows Defender and click "Open Windows Defender" at the bottom of the  page it gives a pop-up box saying it's turned off (whereas before it went to the Windows Defender GUI).

Kudos0

Well if you've fixed it you're a genius. Hope others see this post. Let's see what others say and do. Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello Peterweb,

Thanks for your help and guidance.

I did find the Windows Firewall Service as you suggested. It was already running.

Unfortunately it did not make any difference to the update installations.

With regards

Castillonia.

Kudos0

Hello SGFC,

Thanks for your help and guidance.

I have not seemed to get any Windows Update success despite everything I try.

With regards

Castillonia.

Kudos0

Trickyrf,

You are basically having the same problems as myself.

I have it on a new Dell PC, a HP Pavilion Laptop and a colleague also has the same problem on a Dell PC  which was upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

I think I have done about 30 attempts to get the update to download successfully.

Nothing works. Getting the latest live updates from Norton Security has made no difference.

With regards

Castillonia

Kudos0

Dave,

Thank you for your input.

I am glad things worked for you. Thank you for the suggestion. It is along the lines of the suggestion by Microsoft to uninstall 3rd party firewall software and then run Windows Defender for the update.

My hope is to achieve an Windows update while still running my Nortons Security.

I am a bit hesitant to uninstall Nortons using Windows uninstall. My Nortons download is limited to a relatedly few devices and I am worried I will use up the downloads if I uninstall and then try and re-install.

Over the year,s I have found re-installing Nortons can be open to possible problems and I have had to resort to telephone calls to their help desk, which is expensive and time consuming. They do not always put your computer back perfectly to how it was!

I do not want to have to do this every 1st or 2nd Tuesday of the month when Microsoft decided to do some updates.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway,

With regards

Castillonia.

Kudos0

I uninstalled NIS with settings saved. That started up Windows Defender which then let me update the program via the actual Windows Defender app. I then reinstalled NIS and updated it. The Windows Update for Windows Defender is now gone and  Windows Update says no new updates. WD is in the systray with a red X over the icon. I can't remove the icon but at least Windows Update actually up to date. I guess we will see how long it sticks for.

The uninstall/reinstall process is actually pretty straightforward and didn't take too long.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kudos0

To  Gator - I think you may have missed out the step to turn off WD before installing Norton.
(see my post above)

You should not have the WD icon in the systray. I'm afraid that when the next Windows Defender definition comes along you will be back to the same problem.

Kudos0

Castillona

It is along the lines of the suggestion by Microsoft to uninstall 3rd party firewall software and then run Windows Defender for the update.

That's a recommendation Microsoft has been making ever since I can't remember when -- WIN 98? <s>  It does make some sense since a major function of security software is to stop "outsiders" making changes to the operating system. In theory it ought to recognize some magic handshake and let it happen but we all know the gap between theory and practice!

I am a bit hesitant to uninstall Nortons using Windows uninstall. My Nortons download is limited to a relatedly few devices and I am worried I will use up the downloads if I uninstall and then try and re-install.

That is one worry you should not worry about. In the unlikely event that there's a glitch and it succeeds in notching up a new activation all you need do is contact Norton OnLine Support via the CHAT route -- it's usually quicker to respond and it's free -- and they have the tools to verify the actual number of devices and correct the database. But you can probably avoid all risk of this if you can identify the device in question in Norton Management and use the garbage bin icon to "remove" the installation. However some people have difficulty in matching up the device names in Norton Management with the actual hardware.

They do not always put your computer back perfectly to how it was!

You should of course already have a saved image of your hard drive to enable you to recover yourself including from a hard drive crash, but I share reluctance to have anyone take remote control of my computer however trustworthy since a glitch on the connection can really mess things up but this should not be necessary if you do a clean install as a result of uninstalling Norton since if it fails to activate it should install as a trial for a limited period, function fully and just require Norton to correct the database; if it notches up an additional activation that you were holding in reserve then all they have to do is correct their database. They should not have to touch your system. If they offer to, firstly be certain you are in contact with Norton itself and not a scammer (another danger with phone contact) I would say Not today thanks and check in here!

Just my 2¢ .... 

Hugh
Kudos0

Huwyngr,

Thank your for your posting and input.

You have reassured me that there are ways around retrieving Internet Security programs, should I go down the uninstall route.

Also that I can get back to the correct number of downloads too, post deletions.

I must admit on those occasions where I have given control of my computer to Symantec, so they can correct problems, I am always apprehensive after the event. Never knowing exactly what remnants  are still residing on my machine. So do feel better when I can avoid this route.

I do have copies of my original installations, however I do so much work on my machines with new files and software every day, I fear a mountain of work ahead if I do have to restore.

Thank you for your time......I also go back to WIN98 and Lotus days!

With regards

Castillonia.

Kudos0

Castillonia

I would not worry too much about Norton OnLine Support leaving stuff behind. If it's deleted files etc then Windows will clear it up in due course with it's built in clean up utility.

If you don't have something user friendly for imaging do look at the free Macrium Reflect program which was recommended to me a while back and I like very much. It's user friendly and well featured with some of the best online help documentation I've come across. I used to use the 2010 version of Acronis True Image but that dates back to Windows 7 and before and I wanted something to cover 8 and 10 in due course.

Investing in an external USB hard drive (preferably USB3 if you have that already on or can add it to your computer) can mean making a complete image of your hard drive as it is now with your applications installed and any data you keep on the same drive in a matter of minutes. It takes about 20 minutes for me to image my drive with 130GB of stuff on it and about 10 minutes to restore.

And Macrium Reflect contains everything needed to make a WinPE recovery disk or thumbdrive with the latest version of WinPE on it. You don't have to download WinPE from Microsoft.

......I also go back to WIN98 and Lotus days!

Small world -- I began with Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on a Toshiba 1200XE laptop that had a blazing 12MHz CPU and a 20MB hard drive plus AmiPro the word processor that was so good that Lotus bought the company and turned it into WordPro ... for which I was on the Lotus support team on CompuServe back in the 1980's .... I still use WordPro for preference but not the rest of the SmartSuite. 

Hugh
Kudos0

Huwyngr,

Thank you for your guidance.

I was not familiar with Macrium Reflect. I do already run an external USB hard drive for safety.

Interesting to hear about your Lotus support. I still run WordPro on Millenium version which runs fine on XP and Windows 10. That is for all my archive of correspondence and also run Lotus Symphony for the printed label software which works a treat.

With regards

Castillonis

Kudos0

That's the edition of SmartSuite I have so I'm glad to know it runs OK on Windows 10 too. At one point there was one upgrade released by IBM before they shut down support.

There's some information on the IBM site still

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21624779 

and I see there's even an active Forum

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/ssforum.nsf/SortedAllThreadedweb?OpenView&ExpandView&RestricttoCategory=WordPro 

and you can still buy a copy of 9.8.2 Millenium from

https://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details~productID~1004.asp 

which is a reputable outfit I've bought from for years.

Hugh
Kudos0

Just in passing, for months I have been having 'Failure configuring Windows updates'. I am sure it must be due to Norton IS. Anyone have the same problem? I know this is not directly related to Windows 10 but since entering this discussion thread above when I wanted to find out if I should upgrade to Windows 10, it has occurred to me that there may be an inherent problem regarding NIS and Windows updates. I have Windows 8.1 currently. I checked Microsoft's Support pages and at this page they give some suggestions but don't mention Norton. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949358 Instead one solution is that you run Microsoft Fixit. For me Fixit runs and says it's fixed the problem but the next time I switch off and boot up again the failure conifiguring updates happens again. Thoughts anyone?

Kudos0

Dave, well you were absolutely correct. The last windows update installed yesterday apparently included a new WD update and now I am getting the failure to uninstall the update error again. Guess I have to do the procedure all over again. At least it's not too much of a pain to get done. This time I will turn off WD.

Kudos0

Hi, all.

I have the same problem as Gator2015e.  Only the Windows Updates for Windows Defender wouldn't install on the two computers that have Win 10 installed.  All other updates installed successfully. 

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.307.0) - Error 0x80070643.  Note that the definition number is different from the one displayed by Gator2015e  (which is 1.211.2659), but everything else is the same, and so is the problem.

I'm curious, since all of us here have Norton installed, does it really matter that the updates for Windows Defender won't install?  Can we not just ignore those that are specifically for Windows Defender?

Semper ubi sub ubi
Kudos0

If your Windows Update is showing available updates and your computer starts downloading them, it may happen that at some point it just gets stuck and stops downloading. It will show a constant figure but there will be no progress. The figure in your case could be 0%, 23%, 33%, or any other, but every time you try to download the updates, you find that they are stuck on that particular figure, even if you leave it for an hour or two. I faced this issue and my downloading was stuck at 23%, when I was trying to get windows insider builds.

Kudos0

Hi Inquirer,

The problem you are having is the same as many others have in various forms. I am sorry to say it is a Windows / Nortons conflict.

If you run Win10, the program will install or be an update from previous versions such as 7, 8.1. and do the initial update installation.  You can then transfer or purchase and run Norton Security in various forms successfully. With all the security Symantec offers.

However the next time you go to  a Windows update, it will not complete a full download.  You will get a series of messages as you have,  indicating that there is a problem with the update. This is primarily caused by the third party software of Nortons.  As Windows Defender cannot run, the Windows Updates cannot complete. That is the 'prime-controller'!

If you have purchased Symantec Products you will not putting all your trust in Windows Defender or relying on Microsoft to keep you secure. Therefore  you run Nortons. as your main security possibly with Malwarebytes.

If you decide to run a PC with Norton Security or other products, you will _not_be able to update to Windows Update latest updates. This stops all sorts of extra updates, it is not confined to just Windows Defender. This in effect puts your Windows 10 PC at risk because it is _not_  being updated with the Microsoft range of Updates that are required to be installed on Windows 10.

So by not running Windows Defender....one cannot update. It stops monthly updates!

I cannot see why Symantec don't issue a patch or update to over come this problem, so their customers can properly use Windows 10 and get their updates?

I have used Symantec products on Windows 98, XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. on multiple computers. There has never been this conflict. All these operating systems allowed me to use purchase Symantec products and still continue to receive Windows Updates and downloads from Microsoft.

If one cannot get the W10 Updates, many will dump Symantec products and find something that will allow their latest Windows 10 computers to work with updates.

When will Symantec solve this.....I have had this problem for well over a month!

(No I do not want to have to do some complex Registry edits and deletes to solve this until the next Windows update! Such an approach is always hit or miss and not universal for everyone

Castillonis.

Kudos0

I've an idea that something like that started happening quite some time ago -- about a year? -- with Windows Updates and nothing to do with Norton. The solution, and I think it came from Microsoft, was to uninstall the specific update that froze and to delete the Windows Update History and then run Check for Updates again. This took time since it had no record of what was installed already although it did not involve downloading them all again; just any missing were listed.

This may be about the same sort of problem -- although it does not mention deleting the whole Update History:

http://www.howtogeek.com/206271/how-to-roll-back-or-uninstall-a-problematic-windows-update/

FWIW if no-one has tried this.

Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

castillonia said:

If you decide to run a PC with Norton Security or other products, you will _not_be able to update to Windows Update latest updates. This stops all sorts of extra updates, it is not confined to just Windows Defender. This in effect puts your Windows 10 PC at risk because it is _not_  being updated with the Microsoft range of Updates that are required to be installed on Windows 10.

I'm sorry but that is crap, or everyone running Norton on Windows 10 would have this issue.  I am not and from the amount of people posting about this I would say the number is rather small compared to the number of Windows 10 users using Norton.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hello Krusty 13,

I presume from your posting, you know how to simply solve this, as a "Norton Fighter" with 11,224 posts.

How would you solve the problem without swearing?  We would be very grateful.

Castillonis.

Kudos0

OK, since you asked.

I run a PC which has been upgraded from Windows8.1 to Windows 10. On this I run Norton Security. Latest version fully updated.

Perhaps this issue is because of the upgrade.  If it were me I would save any important files and reinstall Windows 10 fresh.  In a few hours my machine would be up and running fully updated and all programs reinstalled.  Beats putting up with this problem for weeks on end.

Since both of my Win10 machines were clean installations and I'm not having this issue I believe it is caused by the upgrade.  It is well known that clean installs beat upgrades hands down.  As this is just my opinion you and others are free to disagree, but please remember I'm not having this issue on my two Win10 x64 machines.

Thank you.

Edit:  Oh, I would of course do an image backup of my whole hard drive before doing anything.

Kudos1 Stats

FWIW

I just had to do a clean install of Win 10 and I am seeing the Defender update error. I am not too worried about it as Defender does not need to be updated if Norton is protecting me.

I just checked this so have not had time to try to fix it yet. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Not sure if this might have made a difference, but when I fresh reinstalled Win 10 I got the Home version, and then upgraded that to the Pro.

Kudos1 Stats

peterweb:

FWIW

I just had to do a clean install of Win 10 and I am seeing the Defender update error. I am not too worried about it as Defender does not need to be updated if Norton is protecting me.

I just checked this so have not had time to try to fix it yet. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Not sure if this might have made a difference, but when I fresh reinstalled Win 10 I got the Home version, and then upgraded that to the Pro.

Hmm, OK, that is interesting.

It has been suggested [more than once] to uninstall Norton, disable WD, then reinstall Norton.

Kudos0

Peter,

By any chance is your Windows Update set to get updates for other Microsoft Products?

I've seen suggestions that this can cause the situation you describe to arise and a procedure described for dealing with this.

I've also seen -- would not apply except to on top upgrades -- that the Defender won't run can be due to bits of Windows Security Essentials left behind from pre-upgrade so that Defender thinks that another security program is running and so won't start. Microsoft Answers said back in August 2015 that Microsoft is aware and working on this. That thread runs 10 pages!

A lot of people are reporting this out on the internet a few with Norton but many don't.

Hugh
Kudos0

castillonia:

If you decide to run a PC with Norton Security or other products, you will _not_be able to update to Windows Update latest updates. This stops all sorts of extra updates, it is not confined to just Windows Defender.

Hi, Castillonia.

In my case, with the exception of Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.501.0) - Error 0x80070643, all other Windows updates appear to have installed successfully.  Please see my Update history below and check whether any of the updates in my Update history are missing in yours. Incidentally, if you see something in yours that is missing in mine, please let me know.  Thanks.  

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - December 2015 (KB890830)

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116900)

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3119147)

Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3122947)

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116908)

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3120677)

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3118754)

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3103688)

Semper ubi sub ubi
Kudos0

peterweb:

I am not too worried about it as Defender does not need to be updated if Norton is protecting me.

Hi, peterweb.

I came to the same conclusion. 

Semper ubi sub ubi
Kudos0

Hugh

I have not installed all my other MS products so the setting for their updates is still unchecked.

Kudos0

I followed the instructions provided by Dave33 above and now the Defender update went through. Time will tell if the next Defender definitions will install correctly.

In my case I did not turn off all the options for Defender. Just the first option to turn off Real Time Protection.

Kudos0

I have to agree with Krusty13 when he says there must be a very large number of NS users who are running Win 10 and this is not happening to all of them so my guess is there is something else in the mix that may be causing the problem.

I updated (not clean install) to Win 10 (64 bit Home) from Win 7 around August 10th on my 2 home PC's. My NS product has always been updated to the latest version (now 22.5.5.15). Windows Defender is OFF. Norton is providing my firewall. When Microsoft pushes its monthly updates the definitions for Window Defender do not even show up for me on either PC. All other updates download and install without a problem (including 1511).

So for some reason, when my PC's check for Microsoft updates, something is telling Microsoft I'm not running Windows Defender and it isn't even offering them to me, hence no failure to update. The real  question here is why am I NOT having this problem and other are? I certainly didn't do anything on purpose to avoid this.

I did get this one though and it did install successfully.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - December 2015 (KB890830)

Kudos0

I went through the process of uninstalling NIS, updating WD, then in settings turned off Real time Protection, cloud Based Protection and Automatic Sample Submission. I then reinstalled NIS.

All was fine until today, when I saw in the Windows Update section that KB2267602 was unable to install. I opened WD and the Home screen says PC Status: At Risk, Real-Time Protection Off and Virus definitions, out of date. NIS is preventing WD from starting to allow the definitions to update.

There appears to be a conflict between NIS and WD. Either MS or Norton need to get this straightened out. At least it appears that other MS updates are installing. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.