• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Devices in different countries

Hello Community members,

Will my child who lives in Japan be able to install and activate US version of Norton Security?

We are currently using a security software from a different company. I would like to switch to Norton Security for multiple devices and share among my family members, but I'm concerned if it works for my child in Japan because there is a note saying "Important Activation Information: For sale and distribution only in the US."

All of us use computers and cell phones purchased in the US and our default language is English (US). We have no problem getting US versions for all our computers/phones as long as it can be installed/activated while staying in Japan. Actually, Japanese version wouldn't work because my child will have hard time reading and understanding it.

Hope someone knows or had a similar experience... Anyone who has a child studying abroad? Thank you in advance for your help.

arigato39

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Devices in different countries

Arigato39

I've asked for some help for you on this .... hang on.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hugh,

Will wait. Thank you for checking and leaving a comment.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello, I am sharing what I learned from a chat with Norton support.

1. If the product is purchased from an outside vendor, the product is only supported in the US.

2. If the product is purchased directly from Norton website, it "might not" be supported abroad.

3. In order for the product to be fully supported globally, I would need to purchase the product from the support agent.

I asked about the difference between 2 and 3 because it didn't make sense to me. Both 2 and 3 are bought directly from Norton, which means there is no issue in the authenticity. The support told that the agent will be able to assign the activation code that works globally in case of 3, and that is the only way to ensure that the product works in both US and abroad.

Kudos0

1. If the product is purchased from an outside vendor, the product is only supported in the US.

There is a difference in my experience between supported and works and between supported and used. Supported in my opinion means that service and warranties will be provided in that locality not whether the product works or may be used there.

Clearly Norton can't stop you going to Japan with your computer and using it while there but they can in some territories stop you from selling their product from your base in one country direct to a customer located in a different country.

Your child in Japan could try seeing if they can download and install:

http://www.norton.com/latestnsbu

and get the US GUI. It may however switch automatically to the Japan website and frustrate this but there are workarounds if you put your mind to it.

It should install and run as a fully functional trial version for a period and once you have your purchased copy it should be activatable with the activation code you purchase in the USA.

I don't see anything wrong with doing this since you are not competing with local distributors for your own profit.

It's not really different to doing the installation if your child was visiting you here in the USA. And since the current versions of Norton Security can be installed on tablets and other portable devices they are certainly going to be used in other territories.

You are not really at financial risk since Norton has a 60 day money back warranty that you could invoke if you are prepared to remove all copies in use including yours in the USA. Of course you may decide to keep it in the USA and let your child use some other program!

What do you think?

Hugh
Kudos0

Your child in Japan could try seeing if they can download and install:

http://www.norton.com/latestnsbu

and get the US GUI.

Of course that won't work, it's going to re-direct to the Japanese version.

To get a different language you would have to use a specific link and not a re-direct. One that has the entire download path such as these (taken from the trial page on the main site).

NS Deluxe

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/OEM/22.5.4/NSD/5D/NSD5-TW-22.5.4-EN-US.exe

NS Premium

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/OEM/22.5.4/NSP/10D/NSP10-TW-22.5.4-EN-US.exe

Notice the end of the filename says EN-US, that's United States English.

I'm not saying it would activate, I don't know that for sure.  But If I tried I would have someone in the US do the first activation so that it is connected to a US based Norton account. Then I would try the non-US activation.

I do know that one of the reasons they are restricting some activations is because people were taking advantage of different pricing between countries.  Countries like China have such a large amount of piracy that companies have to charge less if they hope to sell anything. You also have countries that have added taxes or VAT that make them more expensive than others. 

I think you may be able to activate it for him using Norton management, but I'm not sure about that either because I don't use it. I'm sure support would be able to do something, Tens of thousands of Americans are out of the country for school, business, vacations or the military.

Best of luck,

Dave

Kudos0

Thanks Dave for the route to the US version. I had forgotten about the availability of those switches

I also had in mind for the child to log into the US website as I just did into the Japanese website which offered me the JP version and try to download the trial version from the US website.

Hugh

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.