• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

My (4) computers still on 22.5.4.24

Hello Everyone...new to the forums here!

I have two laptops and 2 desktops all of which are still on 22.5.4.24. The laptops have Windows 7 on one and Windows 8.1 on the other. The desktops have Windows 7 one one and Windows XP on the other. Have 216 days of subscription left for a 5 device copy of Norton purchased from a local Staples here in Canada. Before you ask I have fun liveupdate until there are no updates rebooted etc. I have also tried the Remove and reinstall tool rebooting in between etc. That also did not update to the latest version. Then I tired the Norton removal tool again rebooting when appropriate no luck still stuck on 22.5.4.24. What is interesting though the Remove and reinstall tool did say it was going to install 22.5.2.15 which is weird as the latest is 22.5.5.15, however, it didn't matter as neith one of them got installed because it installed 22.5.4.24.

Any ideas on when I am going to get updated to the latest version?

Regards,

Monami

Replies

Kudos0

Re: My (4) computers still on 22.5.4.24

Apostolos:

A bit off-topic, but since I have not yet installed NS on both my W 10 systems, I'd like to know if Norton Account  gives 22.5.5.15 version directly, (without the need to run LU to get up-to-date), or 22.5.4 version.

If it still gives the previous version, it's a problem, assuming that a user wants to install NS in 1-2 months, if at this time the version is 22.5.7, or 22.6 or 22.7, well, LU must be run several times before getting NS up-to-date. I do not remember this happening in the past, when a new Norton minor version was released, Norton Account offered directly the latest version in a matter of a few days...

Thank you.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6833091#comment-6833091 

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Hi Yank

I've never known you full of hot air .....

The product being installed is downloaded side-by-side with the previous version, and the previous version remains active throughout the new installation. 

You referred to this before and I had a look at what you indicated as a source but I did not read it that way but rather that the continuous protection was a bit of marketing blurb meaning you were still using the world's best product, Norton, after upgrading.

By contrast I'm sure I've seen Norton explanations that the first thing installing a new Norton does is uninstall the previous product, after saving settings if asked to.

Despite this difference, the crux of both is that there is no 22.5.5.15 package -- it only exists, on your device, after upgrading.

At some time in the future there will, I'm sure, be a package with a later version ID but there are technical reasons, and organizational ones, in not making every change in the product a new complete package.

Hugh
Kudos0

Fred,

Could you not prove your hypothesis by running Revo Uninstaller in its most severe mode. I would expect it, when hunting down left over files, orphan registry entries and so on, to find and remove those directories and any odd files wherever they may have ended up.

I use it myself when I need a real cleanup and it's very impressive, and educational, to see listed (since it doesn't do anything without showing you and making you OK it) what it finds .... and where.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hi,

I could do that - or re-name the unwanted directories (or delete them) - but, as the existing version is still working fine (I do not have any of the problems that caused Norton to "pull" that version back) and I am getting all the updates (definitions, lists, etc.) - I figured I would wait for Norton to come up with a fix - OR as I stated before - the next "full" updated version.

I will have to say, after being in contact with them - and others having sent them logs etc. - that they have not come back here to address this situation.  Even an update of information - to let us all know they are still working on it.   I realize that we are just getting over the holidays, but some word on this Forum would be nice.

This from them on Dec 17th:

The team managed to collect logs and other required details for this issue and they are already working on it. Thanks a lot for the details. 

Sunil_GA

So, coming up to two weeks and not a word !!!

Thanks,

Fred

Kudos0

Krusty13:
Apostolos:

A bit off-topic, but since I have not yet installed NS on both my W 10 systems, I'd like to know if Norton Account  gives 22.5.5.15 version directly, (without the need to run LU to get up-to-date), or 22.5.4 version.

If it still gives the previous version, it's a problem, assuming that a user wants to install NS in 1-2 months, if at this time the version is 22.5.7, or 22.6 or 22.7, well, LU must be run several times before getting NS up-to-date. I do not remember this happening in the past, when a new Norton minor version was released, Norton Account offered directly the latest version in a matter of a few days...

Thank you.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6833091#comment-6833091 

Hi Krusty, (and Merry Christmas),

I have received an answer from yank,  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-225515-just-downloaded

dated from the 2 December, and he stated that at that time, although the latest NS version was released more than 2 weeks before,  NS latest version was not directly reachable via NRnR or Norton Account. Just refreshed my question in case something has changed...

Maybe someone who downloaded lately NS from Norton Account could add some latest info on the matter.

Thanks anyway for your reply.

Kudos1 Stats

Apostolos:. Maybe someone who downloaded lately NS from Norton Account could add some latest info on the matter.

22.5.4.24  -- 12/27/2015

Kudos0

bjm_:
Apostolos:. Maybe someone who downloaded lately NS from Norton Account could add some latest info on the matter.

22.5.4.24  -- 12/27/2015

Thanks bjm_ ,

This is what I suspected, now as to why, go figure out...

So, if the current status remains unchanged, if I download NS, let's say in a couple of months, I can't imagine the number of times I should run LU to have the current build at that time... 

Kudos0

Apostolos: Thanks bjm_ ,

This is what I suspected, now as to why, go figure out...

Kudos0

Hi,

I have the same issue, Norton Security installed on 2 PC still have the version 22.5.4.24

I found a way to install the last version : 22.5.5.15 :

I don't know why but the Retail Version (from staples in my case) and TW version (Trial Ware) don't update to 22.5.5.15

but...

The ESD version (Electronic Software Download) is able to update to the last version

Link to install it : norton.com/latestns

It's strange because it's basically the same software. The Serial Key works with the 3 versions, there is no difference between them.

Symantec needs to solve this issue with Retail and Trial version !

It's easy for me and you to install the ESD version but many people don't know this solution.

Thanks

Kudos0

The version available from your Norton Account will usually be up to date.

Just to confirm the observation:  After needing to straighten out the FireFox (43.0.3) Norton Toolbar problem, and still being unable to update NS 22.5.4.24 via LU on either of my two working Win7 systems yesterday, I downloaded NSBUDownloader.exe from my Norton account (the barefoot NS wasn't available).  It uninstalled 22.5.4.24, replaced it with NSBU, and, after three LiveUpdate runs, finally patched in version 22.5.5.15 with the partially compatible Toolbar.  So much for that part.  Now it would be even nicer to have a functioning FF ID Safe again.

FWIW, I still don't understand the update problem.

-- Jim

Kudos0

Happy New Year Everyone.

Hopefully in 2016, NS will update to 22.5.5.15 and beyond.

Kudos1 Stats

I used the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall Norton from my windows 10 desktop and my wife's windows 8.1 laptop that would not update beyond 22.5.4.24.  After a reboot I reinstalled with the Electronic Software Download (ESD) version of Norton Security with Backup (NSBU-ESD-Def-22.5.4.24-EN.exe) and it did update to 22.5.5.15 today on my windows 10 desktop and my wife's windows 8.1 laptop.  On December 24 the ESD version of the software did not update (on my windows 10 desktop) when I was in a chat support session with a Norton supervisor but it did update today.  So like Heisenberg653 the ESD version did update to version 22.5.5.15 for my two computers with this problem.

On a side note my windows 10 desktop now has Norton Identity Safe toolbar version 2015.5.6.86 which is great since I use it, while my wife's windows 8.1 laptop was stuck with Norton Identity Safe toolbar version 2015.5.6.78.  After following the directions given at:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113946319_En...

the windows 8.1 laptop now also has the now has Norton Identity Safe toolbar version 2015.5.6.86 as well.

Kudos0

Hello

As someone has mentioned, how about trying these links

www.norton.com/latestns   or www.norton.com/latestnsbu run live update and restart as needed. Those of you on Windows 8 and above, please disable fast startup.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks floplot.

A question; will these links work with an existing Norton account? For example, will my retail Norton Key work with this NS download?

I'm also in Canada and these links appear to originate from the US site. Not sure if this is an issue.

Finally, from everyone's experience of this issue, is it best to run this NS download over an the existing stalled version, or use the Norton Removal tool first?

It would be reassuring if we heard from Norton at some point on this issue.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello Current

If you are from the English speaking part of Canada, it shouldn't make any difference. Your key will work using the latestns  link. I think it will even translate it to your language. Not sure on that one. If you are having no issues with your installed program, then you can install it on top of your program. If you use the nrt,, then you will lose all settings and it will also uninstall all Norton products. Some say that you should first uninstall using the Control Panel method, restart, then use the nrt then use that link.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

This morning both of my computers received a patch via LiveUpdate, and were updated to 25.5.5.15. Hooray!
Kudos0

Good to hear, Cloudcroft.

I checked my NS this morning and it's still stuck at 22.5.4.24.

And, still no word from Norton on this unfortunately.

Kudos0

Hi CurrentR - you're not the only one. I have three Win10/64 computers stuck at 22.5.4.24.

I received a private message from Norton on the 29 December saying they had fixed the issue, but it did not work for me. I uploaded more logs to them and they are looking into it.

Kudos0

Thanks for letting us know Davec33.

Wish we could get an official statement.

I may try the Norton Removal Tool this weekend again, and if so, I'll inform you of any success/failure.

Kudos0

CurrentR and Davec33, sorry to hear you're still stuck on 22.5.4.24. My notebook received the patch after manually running LiveUpdate, so I did the same on the desktop, and it too received the patch.
Kudos0

I appreciate the sympathy Cloudcroft.

Today, I uninstalled NS via the Control Panel, ran Norton Removal Tool and reinstalled through my account. After running LiveUpdate until there were no updates and applying the patch, NS is still at 22.5.4.24.

Oddly, a NS Product Update appeared via LiveUpdate yesterday but it apparently had no effect.

A word from Norton would be welcome.

Kudos0

Current

Have you Restarted -- not Shut Down and then Power up -- your computer since the last LiveUpdate?  It's sometimes worth doing Live Update / Restart / Live Update / Restart a few times until you get absolutely no more updates and seeing if the version does finally update?

Shutdown boots up again to a hybrid version if you have the default settings for Windows 8 onwards and so retains some of the older files.

BTW What version of Windows are you on?

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello

The patch that came thru did not change the version you are on. It was some backend fixes. It also updated WSCStub.exe, which will now be version 22.5.6.5. The old one was from 2015 and the new one is from 2016. I believe it's in c:/program files

Thanks.

Kudos0

I manually ran LiveUpdate on my notebook and received a patch. After it was installed, I checked the version and I was now on 22.5.5.15. I didn't check the version before running LiveUpdate. I then went to my desktop and first checked the current version before running LiveUpdate, which was 25.5.4.24. I then manually ran LiveUpdate, and also received the patch on the desktop. After the patch was installed, I again checked the version and it was updated to 25.5.5.15. I assumed it was due to the patch on both computers.
Kudos0

Hello

Perhaps running live update brought you up to 22.5.5.15. The patch that was released on late Thursday night, my time, was a backend file update. It did not fix anything, does not change the version number, does not make any user interface changes. It also updated the WSC Stub.exe. If you find and check the date on that file, then you will know which patch you did receive.

To get to version 22.5.5.15, there was another patch. If you only had one patch to apply, then you got 1 patch. You can check out what you received by checking out your Live Update History Log and see what that says.

WSC Stub.exe can be found here.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security with Backup\Engine\22.5.5.15 Substitute your Norton Program. Check the Properties of that .exe file and see what year it says.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Floplot, my WSCStub.exe is version 22.5.6.3, 11/23/15. EDIT: After posting the WSCStub.exe version, I manually ran LiveUpdate and it downloaded and installed another patch. After installation I again checked the version of WSCStub.exe and see that it's now 22.5.6.5, 1/6/15. It would appear that I just received the patch you are referring to. Could the patch I received a few days ago be a fix designed to move a machine with a stuck version to the current one? Could it be that some of the other posters still stuck on the previous version might receive the fix at any time?
Kudos0

Hello cloudcroft

I haven't heard about any special patch coming out that will fix the issue for those who are stuck on the previous version.. I think it is possible though that it just took a lot of runs of Live Updates and restarts to get the one that moves you to the current version. By the same token, I haven't heard about all the patches and could have also forgot some of them too.

The main point though is that you seem to be up to date. If there was another patch, we will probably hear about it in the Forum or in our special place.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks floplot...hopefully the other posters stuck on the previous version will find a solution soon.
Kudos0

Hello huwyngr,

Here's my delayed reply.

I am using Windows 7 and I did restart, but when I get a chance, I will try liveupdate and restart again. I did notice that folders for both versions (25.5.4.24 and 22.5.5.15) again exist in the Norton Security program folder.

Someday this will end.

Kudos0

Current

Look forward to hearing more ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Ran liveupdate and restarted but no change. Still at 22.5.4.24. Sigh...

Kudos0

Hello Curren

Please run Live Update a few times in succession--in a row. Then restart computer. Repeat these actions several times in a row. The 2nd part of the patch should come thru..

Thanks.

Kudos0

I am the OP and thought I would let you guys know that a Norton patch came through today and all (4) of my computers are now on 22.5.5.15! So as far as I am concerned this thread is solved! ☺

Kudos0

monami123:

I am the OP and thought I would let you guys know that a Norton patch came through today and all (4) of my computers are now on 22.5.5.15! So as far as I am concerned this thread is solved! ☺

Yipeee!

You're the one who can mark the thread as solved ..... <s> 

Hugh
Kudos0

Yep - all good now on my 3 computers.

It's kind or ironic that if I never came to this forum then I would not have seen any problem and would not have known about any update, and my computers would have all been updated today.

But as I was aware that there should have been an update patch I wasted lots of time doing uninstalls/ reinstalls, NRT, many reboots etc. with no success.

I think I should stop reading the forum ! lol

Kudos0

There's a lot to be said for "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it ..."

Hugh
Kudos0

Just checked and my NS is now at 22.5.5.15! My New year's resolution is to not check the version number. Thanks to everyone for their input and feedback.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.