• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton's Web Ranking is hurting my business.

Starting right around November 01, 2015 I have received many emails from people and read on forums where I advertise that Norton's is giving a big pop up window warning when they come to my site.  People say they quickly log off.  My sales have significantly decreased this month compared to the past 24 months.

I checked for myself and Norton's says:

Computer Threats: 0

Identity Threats: 0

Annoyance Factor: 1

For some reason Norton's has given my site an "annoyance factor" of 1, which gives the same scary warning as computer and identity threats.  I have no idea what considerations they use to rate a site with an Annoyance Factor of 1, but it is really hurting my sales and this is a family business. It seems unfair for Norton's to give such warnings based on what they consider an 'annoyance factor' when they clearly say there are no threats from my site.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with this:

www.diysoundgroup.com

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton's Web Ranking is hurting my business.

Did we learn what...SWBPL means...?

Threat Name: SWBPL
https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=diysoundgroup.com

Kudos0

Hello ErichDIY

I will ask the Safe Web Team to post something in this thread to explain what an Annoyance Factor is. Please stay tune to this thread for an explanation of this term.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.16.0.247 Core Firmware 267 I E 11
Kudos0

I have tried calling Norton's and also talked with customer support using the 'Chat Now' option.  No one can really help me solve this problem.  

Can someone please let me know how to get this fixed as soon as possible?  Many companies do a lot of business after Thanksgiving next week and I've had customers tell me they will not order from me because of the warning.  I explained to them that Norton's says there is no computer threat and no identity threat, only what they deem an "annoyance factor: 1".  But the customers want to wait until this is fixed.

Does anyone know a phone number I can call?

Kudos0

Our blog that we had since 2010 is having the same issue with Norton.  I added all the files and the meta files that was required and it is still being listed as unsafe with annoyance factor threat SWPBL.  This is very frustrating and no one seems to help us and for that matter care.

Kudos0

Did we learn what...SWBPL means...?

Kudos1 Stats

Hello bjm

No, I haven't learned what it means although I have asked about it. I will ask again and mention this thread. Please stay tuned until later tonight.

Hello Ray G

Have you registered with the Safe Web? Once you have registered and have received the Meta Tag, please place it any where on the home page of you site. You have to get ownership verified and then the site gets rated. We also need the name of the blog and the blog site address. Once you have this in place, I can ask about your site in particular. In the meantime, I will try and get some information about the Annoyance Factor.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.16.0.247 Core Firmware 267 I E 11
Kudos0

floplot: Hello bjm, No, I haven't learned what it means although I have asked about it. I will ask again and mention this thread. Please stay tuned until later tonight.

tried the Glossary .... http://www.symantec.com/security_response/glossary/

Kudos0

Hello bjm

Here is the response I found when I checked my emails this morning.

SWBPL is one of the threat type in safeweb which is based on telemetry which we collect from 3rd party vendor feeds. Since these sites are classified based on the static data it is pron to few FPs

Not sure if this helps us, but that is what Rajesh answered.

Thanks.

Kudos0

SWBPL is one of the threat type in safeweb which is based on telemetry which we collect from 3rd party vendor feeds. Since these sites are classified based on the static data it is pron to few FPs

Since these sites are classified based on static data, SWBPL is prone to a few FPs.

Okay.........Thanks

Kudos0

But can we get an answer to what SWBPL stands for?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Hello Peter

I will try to get information.

Thanks.

PS I'm guessing that the SW part stands for Safe Web. Will let you know tomorrow if I get an answer in the morning.

Kudos0

Thank you for your response.  I really appreciate it.

Yes I registered and uploaded all the required meta tags on the index of my site.  When I tried to click on verify, it always says "Verification Failed.  We are not able to verify your site ownership."  I don't know what else to do.  

The Blog site address:  wokwithray.net and wokwithray.com

Thanks,

Ray

Kudos0

Thank you for your response.  I really appreciate it.

Yes I registered and uploaded all the required meta tags on the index of my site.  When I tried to click on verify, it always says "Verification Failed.  We are not able to verify your site ownership."  I don't know what else to do.  

The Blog site address:  wokwithray.net and wokwithray.com

Thanks,

Ray

Kudos0

OP

If the loss of business is significant contact an attorney.

Sounds like you have a case for libel, negligence, and interference with contractual relations.

As it does not sound it is you that is a NS user, but rather your customers the NS EULA and arbitration restrictions do not apply to you. And even if you do use NS, the damage you have suffered to the reputation and finances of your business have nothing to do with your use of NS.

The Common Law of Torts in the US does not permit a company to arbitrarily or neligently blackball or malign the reputation of a business to its fiancial detriment. The Common Law relies on victims such as yourself to police the industry by becoming Citizen Public Prosecutors by filing a law suit to show companies such as Symantec there is a an industry standard of care and due diligence placed upon them.

NB: The above is purely an educational statement of US Common Law. All cases vary in circumstances and the above in no way should be considered as creating or intending to create an attorney-client relationship with the OP. If the OP decides to pursue the matter he//she should contact his/her personal attorney.

Kudos0

Hello Ray G

I will notify the Safe Web Team about your issue. Please stay tuned to this thread for a response from the Safe Web Team later tonight.

Thanks.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi

We have manually verified ownership of your website 'http://wokwithray.net/wwr/' and it is currently rated green in safeweb.norton.com.

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=wokwithray.net

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=wokwithray.com

Note:Both wokwithray.net and wokwithray.com are getting redirected to 'http://wokwithray.net/wwr/'

Cops

Kudos1 Stats

Hello SWBPL===Safe Web Bad Publication List Thanks. Flo
Kudos0

floplot:  Hello SWBPL===Safe Web Bad Publication List Thanks. Flo

Safe Web Bad Publication List  vs  SWGPL 

Kudos0

Thanks Flo

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Thank you Console_Ops very much for your help in resolving this for us.   Thank you, Flo and everyone in this forum who are working hard on these issues not just for us but for others.  Very much appreciated and you guys rock!!! :)

Kudos0

Hello Ray G

You are very welcome. I'm glad that it has all worked out ok for you and

with the websites.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello peterweb

You are very welcome. I woke up early this morning, made a stop and froze, so back to bed I went. I don't usually post in here with my Android cell phone or at that hour.

Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.