• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos61 Stats

Please bring back the Network Security Map feature

The current version of Norton Security removed the "Network Security Map" feature that was available in earlier versions.

This feature was very handy (at least to me) and I would like to have it available again.

mike o'neill

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Please bring back the Network Security Map feature

I do not use the Network Security Map all that often but when I need it, it is very helpful.

For me this feature set Norton apart from other antivirus offerings.

Kudos2 Stats

Well, it has been a year since this thread was started, with no response from Norton.]

My Norton subscription expires soon and I will need to think about what to do next.  Not sure what that will be, but just "automatically" signing up for another Norton subscription is not a sure thing.  I will examine the other options.

mike

Kudos2 Stats

I find it 'interesting' and very disturbing that this thread started almost a year ago ... and so far I haven't seen ANY response from 'Norton' in any way.  It makes me wonder if anyone even looks at this forum .   

I have several PCs that I have Norton on .. 2 have been updated 'automatically' and I have lost the function of the Security Map.   ALL of them are due within a couple of months for a renewal ...  My network is small by comparision to others using / wanting to use the feature of the Security Map ...   BUT ... that said ... it's still something that has to be returned to the functionality of the program.   

Maybe when Norton loses customers because of not having this feature they'll wake up ?    Or is that just wishful thinking ?

Pat D.

Kudos0

I am also a bit confused as to why Symantec hasn’t responded in any way to this long running thread – currently more than 150 posts have been published. Perhaps Tony Weiss, the Norton Forums Global Community Manager, would like to drop in and shed some light on the subject? It’s obviously of great concern to many current owners of NIS.

Otherwise you may tell him what you think of his compact silence by simply rating him. Just a few days ago he gave us all a golden opportunity to do just that by publishing a blog post named “How awesome is tony? Rate him today!”. Here’s the link:

[Removed link to Test Blog]

So I guess you might want to do just that . However, I suspect that blog post was never intended to be public, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was removed quite soon after this post has been published.

Kudos1 Stats

I purchase my first Norton Product years ago on a diskette. (Norton Utilities) and through the years have been a consistent contributor to the companies revenue stream. This isn't the first time that the corp has disappointed with modifications (eliminations) to what many consider to be part of the product suite. Some of the historical features were eliminated due to the functionalities being made available in new OS releases. Others were eliminated from one product offering and either re-branded or bundled into another product offering. Both of these strategies could have been pros for the corp but probably were met with a lot of cons for the consumers. (They were for this consumer)

I have to admit that I didn't notice the Security Map omission until I returned to my permanent location from a year and a half contract out of town. After powering up all the power strips and going through tons of updates on all devices, I quickly discovered that I no longer had Shared functionalities across my home network. Because of my long absence, I instantly thought that my router firmware must be in desperate need of closer attention. After the firmware update didn't solve the issue, I went to the closest device to access the Security Map. 

Where is it? Tried another PC to find the same issue.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't add my complaint about the missing security map since I use the NSS provided by my ISP on three home systems. (Price: Included with your Xfinity Internet subscription ($160 value).) My work laptop is running a corporate McAfee product and I am able to login with the CISCO VPN client without any issue.

I just need to figure out how to reconfigure my home network and look for another utility or product suite

Kudos1 Stats

Yes, please bring it back. I'd like to know what devices are connected to my network.  There are other ways to do it, but I found the

Network Security Map to be a useful tool.  I was very disappointed to not be able to find it within my latest version of Norton 360.

Kudos1 Stats

So you eliminate the useful network map and made the Identity Safe unusable for months. Why not just get out of the business? I get Norton for no cost because I use Comcast. But "nothing" is starting to look like that is what it's worth.

Why did they say they removed this?

Kudos1 Stats

Why did they say they removed this?

Apparently not enough people used the Network Security Map.  

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos1 Stats

As Krusty has said, we (the users in this thread) are inferring that the network map feature was not popular and was replaced with the "device trust" in the firewall settings.   When I enquired about this over a year ago, I was told by a Norton support agent that the "device trust" offered the same functionality ...  This appears to be the Norton position on the subject, and Norton Security 2016 is the same as the 2015 version in this regard. 

It is disappointing that no one from Norton has bothered to respond to this thread.

mike

Kudos1 Stats

The funny thing when I asked Norton on Facebook regarding this a few years back they directed me to the forums, which from the looks of it, seems to have worked pretty well (sarcasm.)

Kudos1 Stats

As mko1023 said, its a shame we have had no response from such a highly responded to post/request. It looks as though its not going to come back even though there will be many more users in the same mind but unaware of this thread. The 'Network Map' program has already been written and would not take much to re-instate or even make as a free download/upgrade for licensed users if they don't want to include it in the Norton package. I still don't understand why a company would remove something that makes your software/product more 'sellable' or 'desirable'.

Moving forward, I wonder if anyone can suggest another program which gives a similar/same Network security details/map. I could have happily used it this morning when my system was down to see connectivity etc.

Kudos1 Stats

kay110:

Moving forward, I wonder if anyone can suggest another program which gives a similar/same Network security details/map. I could have happily used it this morning when my system was down to see connectivity etc.

If I recall correctly, McAfee Internet Security includes a network feature not all that different from Norton's Network Security Map, where you can tag other computers on your network as trustworthy or otherwise.

Kudos0

As many of the users in this reply have noted I Agree with and would like to see the Network Map returned to Norton Security.

For what it's worth why does Norton keep taking away all the nice features that we pay for since they are already a part of the product???!!!

Kudos0

I use the freeware program "Advanced IP Scanner"  read about it here,  http:// www. advanced-ip-scanner . com/

It at least shows what is on my network and a few other useful items, sorry no security items displayed, but at least you can get IP address and names easily.

Kudos0

Well NIS, thanks for taking so much interest in this thread. My sub has come to an end so I'm keeping my word .... see ya.

Kudos0

Yes it's something I use regularly to check what's connected to the network. Please bring back asap. or quicker.
Kudos1 Stats

Just purchased a new PC with 1 year free McAfee. It has a Security Map function that shows devices that are Active/Inactive and provides all the useful MAC ID's and 192. addresses. Very helpful when you have 4 PC's, 2 Tablets, several Verizon TV set top boxes and Guest equipment all appearing on my local Network.

Please bring back the Norton Security Map feature so I can add this new PC to my existing Norton 5X's purchase. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ME SWITCH TO McAfee when my Norton licenses' expire.

Kudos0

Just went to look for the Network Map Feature ..... not there.

Setting up new network in new home: wired and wireless, conflicts etc...

V.Useful tool in the past.

Dont need it that often.

Another foolish decision by Symantec.

Every time some corporate decision without at least polling users: remember the ask toolbar fiasco and the built in facebook foolishness....

Way to go: Revenue on the slide, earnings down ...may as well go and brass off the subscription base.

I know as compared to corporate account we the > home subscribers< are probably not much of the revenue stream, but, just another slap in the face.

No response from Symantec to this thread for over a year.

Basically a two finger salute to the many loyal users.

The new " device trust " add on is a terrible implementation of something or another as compared to the network map.

I have 5 subscriptions ... just looking for 'nother option now.

Bye Symantec.

Could try this ?? michael_brown@symantec.com

Kudos1 Stats

Bring back Network Map. This was a feature I had paid for and now you have taken it away without warning.  Please bring it back, otherwise this will be my last subscription renewal.

Kudos0

I stayed with the previous version of Norton Internet Security specifically because of the Network Security Map feature but it recently became corrupted. With my recent annual renewal, I did upgrade to the latest version but I see that the feature is still not available. I echo the sentiments of many in this forum that I viewed and used that feature almost everyday. I liked to edit, by name, the devices that we have in the household and determine whether something is actively online or offline. It also detected when an unknown device tried (but failed - was not given an IP Address) to use my wireless network.

Not having that feature in the latest version will, regretfully, cause me to research and look elsewhere for a new security package and make a change before the 60-day renewal period expires.

Kudos0

Hi along with everyone else using Norton who has made the massive effort to subscribe to the Forums I also want to see the Map Feature returned.  I personally found the feature really useful and was really annoyed when it went AWOL.  How else can I see what is happening on my network without logging in to the Gateway device which strangely enough only shows the MAC address, not the DHCP assigned address, not nearly as useful as the mapping tool.

So what is the problem with reinstating that feature?  Just tell the user community the logic behind the decision.  

Surely be that no-one wants it!  Given the hassles to register I suggest the number of posts is likely in the ratio of 1:1000 i.e. 1 post for every 1000 users who found the feature useful. It is/was a point of difference.  Maybe like the others I should now consider moving to another product or a set of products. 

So Norton Technical staff can you please get your Top Manager involved in this decision to explain to this forum the actual reason for removing this feature? 

Thanks

Kudos0

Agree that norton should bring back network security map,it was very useful and I will consider competitor when contract expires if not returned.

Kudos0

I can't understand why Norton would remove such a valuable feature.  In order to retain this feature I have had to stay with version 21.7.0.11  But this means that Safe Web will not work with Firefox.  Apparently, I can no longer have everything I want to use.

I have been using Norton for 5 years but it is time to move on. 

Kudos0

Please bring back the Network Security Map !! This was a feature that I regularly used.

Kudos0

Come on, bring it back. Its key functionality that I paid for when extending.

Kudos0

I agree, Norton Network Security Map should be back! It's a great feature.

Kudos0

Give it up, people. This thread has been active for a loooooong time and Norton has clearly demonstrated its disregard and contempt for its customers by not even having the common courtesy to reply.

No way to maintain your #1 rating (which has been long lost according to most reviews!)

Let's hear it for ANY OTHER protection suite. 

Kudos0

BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK!!!

Semper ubi sub ubi
Kudos0

Ok, let's face it folks, they ain't gonna do nothing about it.  A number of years back the community was just that, with a live moderator lady and it was more of a blog.  Things didn't always go right, but at least she explained why and served as a conduit into the programmers.  Today, these people are more wrapped up in making it pretty (metro style) than useful.  It's like they are competing in some beauty pageant.

I've been with Norton's since the days of Peter and his DOS utilities.  The current Norton utilities are a joke.  Partition Magic was a great product until Symantec bought it and removed it from the market.  Showed them up, you know!

I read a lot of intentions to drop Norton and find something else.  I wonder if those products were named in this forum, would Norton even notice?  I run  out in Jun and I too will look at the alternatives.  Most of what Norton provides is already covered by routers, operating systems, or file servers, and the rest is available at little or no cost with some research online.

Kudos0

Rel,

I agree.  It's not coming back, certainly not anytime soon.  The lack of response from Norton really is disappointing.

I have been in the process of finding a replacement for a little while now.  Based on reviews, the first one I have tried is Bitdefender Total Security 2016.  I had tried it back in 2010 and wasn't impressed.  I hoped that since then they had gotten their act together.  Nope.  The entire suite is a total joke.  I won't go into a total review here, but I was extremely disappointed.  Fortunately my 2 year subscription for 5 PC's only cost $7!  In retrospect, I wouldn't even pay that!  I can't understand how it is rated so highly. 

I plan to try McAfee next.  My expectations aren't high, but I'll at least give it a shot.  My father has it on his PC and it doesn't seem bad.  It's definitely better than Bitdefender.  It does have a network map function.

Until I find a replacement, I am sticking with NIS 21.7.0.11 which still has the Network Security Map.  It can still be found online. Your current license key will work with it.  Since I am an avid Firefox user, I am experimenting with various 3rd party browser protectors since this older version of Norton doesn't work with Firefox.

After McAfee, I may try ESET. 

It would be great if others would post their experience with replacements.

Kudos0

Can an older version of say N360, WITH the security Map feature be reinstalled as long as you pay for the annual license fee? I suppose this would have worked if I would have done this in lieu of upgrading. Norton doesn't care if I decide to stay with the older version as long as I pay the price. I tried a competitor's software with a network map feature but it appeared to be somewhat lame but perhaps that is better than NOTHING! Why not attempt to keep features that customers like in order to keep them happy customers? What a concept!

Kudos0

Yes, I still have one computer using I believe Internet Security version 2012, that I was successful in disallowing the default automatic program updates.  It has been renewed since then each year with the product keys that came with purchases of multi-system versions of newer product.  I do not notice any features lacking in 2012, simply the older interface that is less flashy.

However, I seem to recall trying to remove newer Norton Security and reinstall 2012 on a laptop, and was unable to stop the program from updating.  I likely made an error, but it take so much time (using the removal tool, etc.) I gave up doing it again.  Anyone else with this attempt or experience??

Kudos0

NortonForumRwm,

Which competitor's product did you try?

Fluid.bob,

There is a setting that is on most NS/NIS products that I have used that will prevent updates to new versions. 

Go to Settings > Computer > Updates > Automatic Download of New Version

In all fairness, this is a nice option to have.  One of Norton's strong points is the amount of control they give the end user (Network Security Map aside).  Just look at all those settings!

Kudos0

McAfee for AT&T Uverse. It comes free with Uverse and thus may be a scaled down version of McAfee but it did have a network map. I have it on my one laptop PC.

Kudos0

I have found the free scanner on advanced-ip-scanner.com to be more than adequate.

No more tears on the passing of Norton's secuity map

Kudos0

Please bring it back NOW! Next time no NIS maybe!

Kudos0

Yes, Please.  Me too!

Kudos0

add me to the list of people who want the network security map back!

Kudos0

Why remove a feature so many found useful?   Was there a security problem?   Removing without a comment is kicking your customers in the face.

Kudos0

I've just "upgraded" to the latest version of Nortons on my main Desktop House PC so it was in synch with the other devices on the network. But now the Network Map is gone. And Norton call this an upgrade?
I have been a loyal Customer for many years and have advocated Norton to many others, but this is likely to change now that this useful and to me essential feature is gone. :-(

How else could I see who is connected and what trust level to give them????

Bring it back or loos e Customers

Kudos0

18 months and not single comment from Norton... my product is shortly to expire and I for one will not be renewing it.

Kudos0

Back in July of 2015 I wrote:

"This is another vote to bring back the Network Security Map! The Network Security Map was great! I used it all the time and it was an important part of my network security! Why would you take it away in the first place?? Listen to your customers, Norton. If this feature is not brought back, I will begin actively searching to replace Norton on all of my pc's, laptops and other devices".

Many other Norton / Symantec customers have taken the time to post here asking that the map be restored. No one from Norton has even deigned to respond in this thread of customers. I have been a Norton / Symantec customer since 2001. I am the computer tech for my family and my extended family.  The subscriptions on all of my devices and my extended family's devices, from desktop computers to laptops and tablets, are beginning to run out next month. That's a total of 15 different devices that run Norton / Symantec on them.

Listen to me Symantec: I am done. I am keeping my word. You have lost us as customers. I will not be renewing any devices with Norton / Symantec and I will never recommend you to anyone. Bye bye.  

Kudos1 Stats

I have gotten all our PCs (6) up to Win 10 with McAfee Internet Security installed.  Got a full network map back automatically and I didn't need to have two maps (network and trust).  It picked up everything on our LAN even if it didn't yet have McAfee installed, (2 kindles, 2 iPhones, iPad, 3 tablets, and 2 Linux network file servers.)  We've got two Granddaughters that spend a lot of time with us.

In addition the subscription is for an unlimited number of devices.  I have several tablets, the iPad, smart phones, and a Linux machine to install yet.

They also provide REAL telephone service for the product itself but I had to get a supervisor to talk about combining wired and wireless network segments.  He cleared it right up for me.

Let's see if they pay any attention to this post and delete it!  Good luck to all you remaining Norton users.

Auf weidersehen

Kudos0

Sky box lost it's lan connection today, first port of call was the Network Security Map feature, where'd it go!! not happy!

Kudos1 Stats

Like has been said, the network map is not used that often, but went to use it today to sort out some conflicts and its gone. A very useful feature removed. Thanks Norton. Another excellent decision - NOT!

Kudos0

Well - since Norton does not want to address this issue - I decided to address it for them.

I did not renew Norton subscription and went with mcAfee.

Kudos0

Add me too!

Kudos0

Wow. Two years since original post and no action.

HELLO!!!!

Kudos0

Look at all the posts. Norton isn't listening. Why continue if they're not. We're  frustrated and pissed at corporate complacency.

Kudos0

They remove useful features, make the product look uglier with each new version, and don't even bother to defend these changes. The decision to stay with Norton keeps getting harder to make.