• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos19 Stats

Identity Safe limited compatibility with Firefox - current status

January 25 2017 Update: 

Latest Norton Identity Safe 2.0.65 Add-on Update is now compatible with Firefox browser

July 7 2016 Update:

Work on the extension continues, still on track. See Tony's reply for some additional information. 

April 5 2016 Update:

We are continuing to work on a solution. See Athena's comment for detailed project information and mockups of the functionality.

March 17 2016 Update:

Hi everyone, it’s been a few weeks since the initial status update, and our team has heard your concerns and appreciate your feedback. We’re still on track for the August 2016 release. If things change, we will update this thread with the information. We are watching and working closely with Mozilla’s web extensions development plans – see Mozilla’s update here: Advantages of WebExtensions for Developers. Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

The limited compatibility of Identity Safe with Firefox has been a painful ongoing issue for several months. This isn’t an issue that’s being ignored, but until recently we haven’t been able to communicate much about our plans. The changes that Mozilla made to the Firefox browser and extensions forced us to evaluate our toolbar. Coupled with the upcoming changes in Windows, it became clear that we needed to perform some major rethinking on how our toolbar interacts with browsers. We now have a solid long-term plan to create a Norton Toolbar that will operate on IE, Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.  Building something that works on all 4 major browsers takes some time, but ultimately will help with the ever-changing browser extension limitations, and make it easier for customers to access their vault information.

That’s the tough decision we had to make – committing to building a better Norton Toolbar for the long-term, as opposed to a quick fix in the short-term. This doesn’t help you today, and I’m sorry. We’re looking to have compatibility available around August 2016, though it’s important to know that this is a general timeframe that may shift. We will share details as we get closer to a completed product. In the meantime, we hope you’ll stick around.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Identity Safe limited compatibility with Firefox - current status

Krusty13:

Yes, even if you don't activate ID Safe in NS. You simply cannot install the IDSS if NS is installed.  @yank might post his screenshot of the message you will see if you try.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks Mate!

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos4 Stats

Never again. Try the opposition and you'll be grateful Norton is as user friendly as it is, because the others sure aren't.

I don't like being forced to choose between great products and great support. I expect both. I came back to Norton exactly because of the abysmal support from BitDefender, but this shouldn't give Symantec a reason to bring their quality level (on products or support) down to the same abyss. And let's face it, perfection is not to be found here either.

Right now Symantec is failing on the side of NSS - I call it "failing" because all other major names offer this extension (including those free time amateurs from FreePass). Mozilla announced the change in their extension architecture on the 4th OF MAY 2015 (read announcement here). The old extension support was subsequently dropped in AUGUST 2015 - the moment when NSS Firefox broke apart. So, this makes three months where everybody else managed to get their sh* together and adapt, only Symantec not -  for a browser still around 15% of the market (11%-19% depends who you ask) and the third browser force at it. Now Symantec plans to wait for the even newer model going live soonest in August 2016 (aka a wait of minimum 15 months from the initial announcement mind you). Really, nothing to be proud of.

Kudos0

I'm tired of waiting and using IE and Chrome -

Can anyone suggest a password manager that will auto fill user ID and password in Firefox that stores information ONLY on my PC and not in the 'cloud' or on some other mysterious external system? It would be great if the suggested manager can import from my Norton password file - in some format or, at least, auto- save information when logging into a site.

Kudos0

If there this inept at resolving the issue they new was going to happen (beta builds were available in advance) what makes you think they will even create a secure system to store your logins and passwords. Cancelled
Kudos0

kent one that is local is keepass...but others are available. I believe it is also free.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Kudos0

I won't assume to know the technical details and how possibly tough it is and how long it takes to remedy problems like this involving not just your software but how other companies software impacts yours as well but..

This whole process has been a failure, lame, unacceptable on Norton's behalf.  Maybe diverting resources to a temp fix is not the way to go but it is better than leaving everyone in the dark and even worse alternatives.  I just cannot imagine anything on this scale taking .. how many was it again.. 9.. months?  Got some people putting in OT to solve this problem do ya? lol.

At the very least someone in charge should be fired and bring in a person that will not let this happen again or handle it much better.  You guys are basically the GM of the Cleveland Browns.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi everyone, it’s been a few weeks since the initial status update, and our team has heard your concerns and appreciate your feedback. We’re still on track for the August 2016 release. If things change, we will update this thread with the information. We are watching and working closely with Mozilla’s web extensions development plans – see Mozilla’s update here: Advantages of WebExtensions for Developers. Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

So we have paid for a product we are only getting limited features on. Are we getting a discount on the next renewal due to this? 

Kudos0

It's my same situation; and I have no answer now from Symantec (I used several products and even books from Peter Norton since 1984). I have only a few weeks until renewal. Should I now forget for ever Symantec products?

Kudos2 Stats

You know, I would have been OK with a little *honesty*, and an apology.  Did Norton admit, or even intimate, that the "fix" would not happen until the next major release?  NO (I did, last year, and posted that opinion here - to the sound of Norton crickets, mind you).  Did Norton continue to put out (albeit once in a great while) updates making it sound like just another month or two maybe? YES!  There is simply no excuse for this type of customer service - NONE.  To be sure, you can't build Rome in a day, but you can be *Honest* about it up front so your customer base can make informed decisions - like how much time we want to spend in alternative solutions given the likelihood of a year-long wait for a fix.  Surely I'm not the only one who appreciates the irony in a company asking that we entrust (pay) them with keeping our computers safe, while at the same time proving to us that we can't trust them to tell the truth about something as simple as a product update?

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

Tony has told the truth in his 2 statements in this thread. The fact that he made his opening post in this thread and chose to leave it open instead of locking the thread like all of the other Announcements shows that he's being honest about this while leaving the thread open so that others can express their feelings. He realizes it's been a bad situation when he says he hopes everyone will stick around until the fix is done.

Have you people noticed one statement in the opening post where he says that this Toolbar is going to work with 4 browsers? IE, Chrome, Firefox and EDGE.  People, please think about that statement and what it implies. The main 2 words are Firefox and Edge which implies the 2 companies that makes those 2 browsers. This is going to be one great Toolbar that is going to work with Edge. Is Edge ready for a Toolbar now? Can't you people see the reason for the delay now? It's not just Mozilla. I know you all want the Toolbar now, even though I don't use the Vault, I feel for you people who do use it, especially the Firefox people. Think about EDGE and when extensions are going to be allowed for use by 3rd parties. Add time for creation, testing and release.

I'm not a Symantec Employee, but take some time and really read Tony's opening post and his update in this thread. Think about what it infers. Try to have an open mind about it. There are substitutions that are around and other free programs that can be used for a password manager. Norton products are still safe, they still protect you from malware and your passwords are still secure and you can still access them and use them also, but not in all ways. Symantec/Norton is being honest with you now and if you noticed Tony is keeping you up to date now. He's given an update after only a couple of weeks even though it didn't give any new information. But it is communication NOW from Symantec/Norton.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

keithahughes:

You know, I would have been OK with a little *honesty*, and an apology.  Did Norton admit, or even intimate, that the "fix" would not happen until the next major release?  NO

I would say Symantec has been honest.  They rarely announce a defined time when a patch should be expected, simply because stuff does happen and plans often need to be changed.  I do believe that originally the plan was probably just to repair the Firefox functionality and that was expected to take several months.  When it became apparent that a better overall plan would be to make a new cross-platform application that would also be compatible with Edge, albeit at the cost of further delay, it was announced so users would not be kept in the dark.  Further, because of a recognition of the prolonged inconvenience caused to users, Symantec took a pretty unprecedented step of publicly forecasting a specific month for a possible release date.  You may not agree with the decisions that have been made, but I don't think you can say that Symantec has misstated any of the facts as they existed at the times the various announcements were made.

Kudos1 Stats

Well, Norton Fighter, I would say you are mistaken, and that I can indeed say that Symantec misstated, or at least obfuscated relevant facts.  I appreciate that now, many months after the beginning of this fiasco, someone has come forward with a more definitive target timeline.  But, its quite disingenuous of you to pretend that someone "coming clean" as it were 6 -9 months after the start of the issue equates to "honesty".   You can certainly say " Have you people noticed one statement in the opening post where he says that this Toolbar is going to work with 4 browsers? IE, Chrome, Firefox and EDGE.  People, please think about that statement and what it implies" and pretend that that addresses the issue, and perhaps you even believe it, but I would take exception to that assertion.  I'm not casting aspersions on Tony, per se, merely pointing out that his information "at the start of this thread" as you point to was, or certainly *SHOULD* have been known many MONTHS ago, and should have been communicated clearly at that time.  Feel free to disagree, but I've posted many times on this very subject, and speculated that this (the current situation) was indeed what was going to happen, yet no one, NO ONE at Symantec was willing to say "yes, that is the situation, sorry but it's going to take until the next major release".  I call that dishonesty, and frankly I think any unbiased person would agree.

And seriously, take a breath, gather yourself, and take a rational look at what *I* am stating as a suitable method of addressing the issue; Saying sorry, but due to the complexity of the changes, it's going to take us ~ a year (at the next major release) to address this situation suitably.  Would I be happy with that, no.  Would I accept that? Yes.  Am I saying it should have been done instantly? No.  Am I asking for a refund/rebate or other remuneration?  No.  And *that* you're trying to cast as unreasonable?  Really? What reasoned basis supports such a conclusion?  Now, kicking the can down the road, refusing to even participate in the respective thread(s) for months at a time, *that* is not honesty.  I'm in my seventh decade on this Earth, and I know what honesty looks like, and I know what disdain looks like, and frankly my opinion of which of these traits Symantec has exhibited in this episode requires no approbation.

Kudos0

With all the endless frustration (I can't begin to tell you how difficult this has been to me - I depend on both FF and Norton Identity Safe), I think Namaste76 really nailed it:

> So we have paid for a product we are only getting limited features on. Are we getting a
> discount on the next renewal due to this? 

That would, at least, acknowledge it - something like the Intuit Turbotax fiasco of a year ago, where customers bought one product only to find that features had been removed.

A true sign of good faith for its customers would be to let people find their best deal on a Norton subscription, then get a rebate card.  (A discount off the inflated prices at Symantec's site would be meaningless.)

Kudos1 Stats

One simple question, if I may...

Can anyone kindly tell me whether this "hard-to-be-born" -- or "reincarnated", if you prefer -- is going to come as a "local" or a "cloud" baby? 

My question derives from the fact that I have always had (and still have) all my Norton products located in my PCs. I do not wish to even consider having them in the cloud. Above all, I am not prepared to consider having a "Vault" containing all the keys to my earthly goods (even as poor as such goods are) sitting on top of a cloud, somewhere, God knows where...

The standalone version that they are pushing in their newsletter (I wonder why) is only available in the "cloud" version and, as I understand, it is also only available to systems with no Norton products installed. Since they are building this new app from scratch for those who do have any of their products installed, I wonder if it will follow Symantec's policy of recent years of creating products just for the cloud -- or -- if it will automatically assume the same location of those products already installed. 

Please clear my doubts!...

Kudos0

what i am concerned about is that we all know firefox continually adds upgrades, by the time symantec gets around august with a fix for the firefox issues, firefox will have been updated how many additional times? i have been using symantec since 1997 and i love the identity safe portion as my boyfriend isn't very computer friendly but can navigate to sites, he likes having his user name/pw combo entered for him and refuses to use chrome. i hope they come up with a fix before august.. its been going on a long time.

Kudos0

I do feel majorly let down at the length of time this issue is taking - the identity safe is an integral part of my browsing experience and for the most part I now avoid those sites I don't carry the login and password in my head for. Yes - I can get at the data, but it is a very tedious process...

There is simply nothing wrong in a quick fix if it keeps the customers happy and buys you time to develop the all singing all dancing gold plated super deluxe extended mix version programmed my cloistered nuns and artisans. Certainly if I gave a nine month time scale for a piece of work that was demanded yesterday, once the management had stopped laughing, I would be very quickly fired.

I am just glad you're not writing software for cash points...

But, for all the griping, I've used Norton for as long as I have had a computer and that's not going to change. Still the best on the market, so I have to put up with it. 

Kudos0

I only hope that when we do get this, we can still have a local vault!

Kudos1 Stats

Well, so do I.  If it's Cloud only, then I am done with it.  We'll see one of these days...

Kudos1 Stats

Local vault! So that makes it at least the three of us... As I said before, I feel exactly the same way.

Actually, if there's no local vault at the end of this long tunnel, it would be tantamount like a risky somersault. Except that, in this case, Symantec would be landing on its head, an even more dangerous maneuver in an already somewhat shaky environment...

But we'll soon find out, that's for sure.

Kudos0

Hello

Don't know if I can get any information on that yet. I don't know, but perhaps you will still be able to use or get it again using the way many got it back using someone's method which worked before.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Yes, floplot, it did work before. Let's hope it still will but it may depend on how they implement the change.

Kudos1 Stats

My subscription expires in 9 days. I will not be renewing, nor will I recommend to a friend or colleague. Inability to use product with browser of my choice is unacceptable. Fortunately I have already found an alternative that works better than ID safe. Too bad, 10 years was a good run.

Kudos0

Hello

Please remember to run the Norton Removal Tool. It has been a pleasure to serve you and protect your computer from malware all these years. Doors are always open if you happen to change your mind in the future. Good Luck and Surf Safely.!

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

Done and done. Removal tool  downloaded and contents of IDSafe transferred to a very robust password keeper. Thanks for the invite to return, but given the lack utility Norton has exhibited since last August I feel it is time to move on.

Kudos0

Hello rfgr

You are aware that you can still use another password manager and still keep your Norton program. Many of the Firefox users are doing that as a work around. I am sure that you have read the beginning of this thread to see what is being planned for this new Toolbar. You may find that you don't like the other security program even though you like their password manager, but of course it's your decision. Tony has been updating the thread now every couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

Thank you for your continued concern and attention. I prefer not use multiple programs and fortunately I have found an alternative. Had I known last April Norton would not work with Firefox since last August I would have never renewed. I am stunned that the IT professionals at the the world's best protection software can not keep up with open source developers. I will assume they are just taking their time to get it right. However I am too impatient and have decided to move on. ;)

Kudos0

Hello

The plans are to have 1 Toolbar which will work with Firefox, Chrome, IE and Edge. So it's not just to keep up with Firefox that is making it take longer. Microsoft Edge is also delaying it since extensions are not even allowed yet with Edge. I don't want it to seem like I am forcing you to stay with Norton since you did say it is the world's best security program. Using another password manager is a temporary thing, I agree with you that it is taking too long to get it done correctly. I don't want it to seem like I think that Norton is the best program in the world and no one is allowed to leave. So I will end now.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Yep.
As I mentioned previously, done and done

Kudos0

Webroot? Are you serious? There's no comparison- not even in the slightest! It's like going from Fort Knox to keeping money under a matress. It's worst than comparing apples to oranges. Well, I hope you come to your senses before you regret it. But if not, we hate to see you go and "toodles".
Kudos0

webroot?

I prefer Ciao
Toodles

Kudos0

For a short term solution - Does anyone know exactly how (if possible) to import Norton Identity Safe passwords directly into Mozilla Firefox passwords? I know that Firefox can import/export to a CVS file and that NIS can be exported to a CVS file. However, Firefox has a lot more fields than Norton. I attempted to put the two files together in Excel but Firefox just died when I attempted to import the new combined file.
Kudos1 Stats

This is unacceptable so by the time they get this working my product will be due for renewal in less than 30 days. So for 9 months we have been without identity safe November 2015 that's how long it hasn't been working right after I purchased my current subscription. CAN WE SAY NORTON OWES A HUGE DISCOUNT FOR OUR NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS!! Out of a year I got 3 months of a complete product and it doesn't work great with Chrome constantly not filling logins correctly or some cases not at all. Come on billion dollar company show some ownership and give your loyal customers a break on our next upgrades.

Kudos1 Stats

Quit defending a company that sold us "a lemon" for a product even though they were aware firefox was changing they still kept selling their product as complete. In legal terms that's false advertising and in many cases would cause a Class Action Suit. Maybe that's what all of us should do that feel we got the shaft with a product that normally had no issues at all. 9 months is a fact quit working in 2015 not 2016.

Kudos0

i have bought norton products since norton utilities 1.0 when the company had class. i have bought my last norton anything and at the end of this subscription will go to different is s/w. every year since the buyout norton has got worse and worse.

Kudos0

Great that Norton wants to take the LONG LONG road to develop a whole new toolbar and identity safe that will work with the still apparently experimental Edge browser too, but for the length of time us Firefox users have not been able to use Identity Safe from our Toolbar is already way beyond anything reasonable.

I have to question how many people Norton has working on this, their own employees or contracting it out- I still think they have just one person who works  on it in their spare time- is there any other software company that would take so long to fix or develop a new product- not that I can think of.

So, for the time frame Norton has given I will believe it when I see it- at least they finally offered an explanation.

Kudos1 Stats

I built my first computer in 1994 it had windows 3.1 and I brought Norton to protect my computer. I've been a Norton user for twenty three years and that's never going to change.

Kudos0

Let me see-the problem with ID safe will be fixed by August!! If you know that you can have it fixed by August, why don't you take that predictive knowledge and fix it now!!!!  Smoke and Mirrors folks.

Kudos0

Hello

It can't be fixed now because it is going to be 1 toolbar for 4 browsers, that is for Firefox, Chrome, IE and EDGE.  You can not use extensions now with EDGE. So it's 1 for all. Customers who use Edge now have to use a different browser or different program for ID Safe also.

Thanks.

Kudos0

And that has been known for at least 6 months.  So we're back to the basic question of why didn't Norton come clean 6 months ago?  Is that such a hard question to answer?

Kudos0

floplot

You seem to know the issues involved here to fix it but are not an employee of Symantec. Could you please contact them and help them solve the issue before August?  Smoke and Mirrors!!!

Kudos1 Stats

Hello Norton Hater

As a Guru, I am in contact with some Symantec Employees as long as I am online in the Forum and at times even when I'm not in the Forum. However, I am not involved in the actual work involved in fixing anything. I'm always trying to get them to work a little faster, but since I'm not an Employee I can only voice my opinion to them. They either agree or disagree. Believe me though, they know that every one is very anxious to get this done sooner rather than later, but at the same time, it must be done correctly so that it is above all safe and secure as well as work correctly or close to correct.

Thanks.

Kudos10 Stats

There’s been a lot of buzz around when Norton will support ID Safe for Firefox and why it is taking so long. Here's an update on what’s coming up:

Norton is committed to supporting Firefox in the best possible way. That’s why we are building a brand new extension for ID Safe on Firefox. That said, it takes some time to create a new extension, along with a new communications mechanism for securing your passwords. However, once the extension is available in August 2016, we believe our Identity Safe customers will be very pleased with the results. The extension will have better performance and stability and a great new experience. Identity Safe will not live in the Norton toolbar anymore, but rather have its own extension and its own icon on the browser. The below images are what this functionality may look like (these are mockups subject to change):

In addition, there will be no Infobar dropping down from the toolbar. Once you log into your Norton account and your vault, all dialogs coming from the extension will be context-sensitive and placed right where you need it; next to the login/password boxes.

The first release of the brand new ID Safe extension will start with support for logins and passwords. Autofilling Firefox with Credit cards and other info stored in your vault will be available in a future release.

Thanks again for your patience as we work on this great new experience.

Kudos0

And there will, or will not, be a Local vault?

Kudos0

Athena...thank you, thank you, THANK-YOU!!!  Your comment IS a breath of fresh air to a common sense issue. Norton's/Symantec's specially is SE-CUR-RITY people, come on!  Think about it, they were chosen because there premium, second-to-none service.  Wouldn't you want your bank or your day care to make sure that their security covers ALL possible access to what you hold dear?  It's amazing how people're more so focused on convenience whether than the security of the product.  The only comment that makes sense....and I mean THE  ONLY ONE...is the one about bring back the Local Vault.  Now THAT'S worth commenting on.  Because with a Local Vault, we can have access to our info WITHOUT internet access.  I mean it's saved as a .dat file with .cvs option, has password access also.  What I don't care for with the way NIS as is now, is that it saves the auto backup as the .dat file to a location that's not encrypted.  It's just saved on the system in the open- not hidden at all!  So, "yes", we need you to bring back the Local Vault.  Initially, I hadn't planned on commenting until i saw yours/Athena's comment followed by the one referencing the Local Vault.  Thank you both.

Kudos0

Yep, cloud only is a total deal breaker for me. If it's cloud only, then it's quite simply of no value to me irrespective of whatever charms or utility it may provide to anyone else. 

But to Marcus, I would point out that the Vault is ALL about convenience, at it's very core.  You can always, for e.g., encrypt a thumbdrive (veracrypt for e.g.) and put all of your passwords on it, and then you need only remember one password to access all of your others.  Safe, secure, portable, readily updatable, but a PITA. Keep a spare at home, and you're golden. The point of the vault functionality is security without the hassle.

Kudos0

athena:

There’s been a lot of buzz around when Norton will support ID Safe for Firefox and why it is taking so long. Here's an update on what’s coming up:

Norton is committed to supporting Firefox in the best possible way. That’s why we are building a brand new extension for ID Safe on Firefox. That said, it takes some time to create a new extension, along with a new communications mechanism for securing your passwords. However, once the extension is available in August 2016, we believe our Identity Safe customers will be very pleased with the results. The extension will have better performance and stability and a great new experience. Identity Safe will not live in the Norton toolbar anymore, but rather have its own extension and its own icon on the browser. The below images are what this functionality may look like (these are mockups subject to change):

Can't help but think back to when I posted the following in May, 2014 on the Product Suggestion Board:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/thought-new-identity-safe-standalone

Kudos0

Hi Yank,

Yes, indeed. And I also recall what you wrote at around the same time:

"I have a feeling anything having to do with the Local Vault is falling on deaf ears anyway - so it is just a matter of time! "

I couldn't agree more, as I feel exactly the same. In that same thread, Krusty13 also made this statement that may very well turn out as being almost prophetic:

"Hi Yank, I will just say, be careful what you wish for  -  if the ID Safe was a separate program only, that could kill the local version for good."

And last but not by any means the least, one more comment worth mentioning, made then by Fuss7749:

"Excellent post Yank, I wonder how many formerly loyal customers they need to lose before they wake up."

Yep... It's what I would call "very wise words from very wise people".

Like the saying goes, hope is the last to die... We'll soon find out, one way or another.

Cheers.

Kudos0

Without a Local Vault option I may as well keep using LastPass! I use it now on Firefox but have kept my Local vault that I still use in Chrome and IE.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.