• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Winzip System Utilities Suite

Went to install Winzip System Utilities Suite and during install process Norton AV red flagged a web site page.

Go to google home page and type in Winzip System Utilities Suite and Norton AV applies red flags as Unsafe "Computer Threats".

I also have already installed Winzip 19.0, Winzip Driver Updater, & Winzip Registry Optimiser and have not seen any Norton AV activity suggesting these are unsafe.      

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Winzip System Utilities Suite

Safe Web historical reputation rating reports on the Winzip website not Winzip programs.
Norton Safe Web is a reputation service from Symantec . Our servers analyze Web sites to see how they will affect you and your computer. Then, using the Norton Toolbar installed on your PC, we let you know how safe a particular Web site might be before you view it. If you need to find out more about how a Web site might behave, we provide more detailed information right here on Norton Safe Web .
Threat Report
Drive-By Downloads
Threats found: 1  
Here is a complete list: (for more information about a specific threat, click on the Threat Name below)
Threat Name:
Malicious Site: Malicious Domain Request 2

Kudos0

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

@Errol Kerr:

1. Personally, I suggest that you avoid WinZip (due to the mentioned term Drive-by, bloatware, and alike), and use WinRAR and/or 7-zip instead. And, you can read this page@ http://alternativeto.net/software/winzip/ which too offers better "Alternatives to WinZip". Well, a picture is worth a thousand words! Better yet, below are some screenshots I saved. View 'em for future references:

More, WinZip Registry Optimizer did not offer "Clear Uninstallation Process".

2. As for the download of wzsus26.exe (md5, 4fa4c8ef646ade025c6f37f12b161621 ) @ download     it turns out that it's been flagged as riskware as well! See https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/712899b640ebd7086bee907f46c3ab548161c...

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

Hi and thanks for your contribution. All installed WinZip programs have been sent to LA LA LAND.

Am currently evaluating both WinRAR and 7-ZIP information and will load one of them before too much longer.

Take Care

Kudos0

I have used Winzip Utilities for several years now without any problems -- and Norton 360 had to issue with it.  However, recently I upgraded to the replacement Norton Securities software and it, unilaterally, removed the executable file for the Winzip Utilities program.  When I re-downloaded the program to reinstall it Norton Securities continued to remove it until I forced it to take the installation file out of the Quarantine so that I could reinstall it.  

There is no issue with the compression/decompression software Winzip... the issue is with the Winzip Utilities software.  I like it because it also provides an automatic driver update service for most common drivers used in a PC (something that neither Norton/Symantec or Windows provide).  It also does a better job at Registry cleaning than is the case with the weak tools supplied / integrated by Norton in the previous Norton 360 and the successor Norton Securities software.  As well it does a thorough job at cleaning junk files files from a system.  

I have never had any issues arising from the use of Winzip Utilities.... It almost looks as if Norton / Symantec is simply trying to squeeze this product out of circulation.  

Kudos0

@RhomFlor: 

Your comment above already contains the workaround: restore Winzip Utilities from Norton Quarantine. And, you can temporarily disable Norton's "Auto-protect", then exclude the official setup file (sha256 = 8ef2fe16eee8e5355beeccc6355d656bdb5239cc2b33dc7002fcfa742fc234b8) and the entire install folder through "Real Time Exclusions". More, you may also Report a Suspected Erroneous Detection here.

2nd, as to "There is no issue with the compression/decompression software Winzip.", nope, their products are sharing/using the same Digital Signatures. Meanwhile, Norton has been taking care of that area.

As an antivirus and security software company, Symantec and/or Norton is always responsible for protecting starters from PUPs/PUAs (e.g., PUA.OpenCandy, PUA.PCReviver (shown below))

As for "driver update service", "Registry cleaning", you may read this comment and this newly flagged Clean PC Smart.

Running the program on our test PC initially displayed 9,828 Registry issues; we clicked Fix, scanned again and no issues were found.

We then deleted the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SecurityXX" key with Clean PC Smart’s "last scan" dates, ran the program, and it reported the same 9,828 Registry issues it had supposedly just "fixed".

This is trick.

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.