• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos8 Stats

Windows 10 Build 14316 - constant unexpected reboot

eraserutilbootdrv.sys is causing unexpected reboots. Had 5 today already after installing the latest windows insider build. From WhoCrashed;

Thu 4/7/2016 5:10:02 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\040716-37390-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: eraserutilrebootdrv.sys (EraserUtilRebootDrv+0x1E10C)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF6FB7DBEDB30, 0x0, 0xFFFFF805F40AE10C, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\EENGINE\EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys
product: ERASER ENGINE
company: Symantec Corporation
description: Symantec Eraser Utility Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: eraserutilrebootdrv.sys (Symantec Eraser Utility Driver, Symantec Corporation).
Google query: Symantec Corporation PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Labels:

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 - constant unexpected reboot

I think if you look quickly thru the preceding thread entries you'll see that the Norton bots are telling us Norton doesn't care and isn't gonna fix it - at least that the message I get :-) ...

Kudos0

Roll back to 14295. It work ok with Norton. I will stay on that build until the 10 th anniversary update. 

Kudos0

They said that they will have a fix for the windows update in july.

Kudos0

just a tip if you roll back - also at the same time rachet your update setting back to the "Slow Ring", otherwise the "300" series build will download as soon as you finish the rollback ... btw, where did Norton actually say they'd implement a fix by July? I'd like to check that out ...

Kudos0

I am running Build 14316 and have had the same problem with reboots every 10 mins after computer being idle.

Have uninstalled Norton for the time being until a fix is issued.

Kudos0

Hello

Gayathri_R Admin

Administrator30

Reg: 12-Apr-2011

Solutions: 44

Kudos: 537

Add Kudos0

Re: Norton Security Beta and Windows Insiders Unique Thread?

Posted: 16-Apr-2016 | 7:37AM • Permalink

Although, issues seen on released platforms would carry more importance, reporting defects on preview builds definitely wouldn't hurt. In fact, I can use them as test cases and get them fixed for the release. In short, please report them! :) And initiate new threads for new issues. Thank you.

-Gayathri

This is from the Beta 22.7 Forum. She is the Admin in charge of the Beta.

Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi all! I installed 14328 a couple of days ago, and I'm having the same problem. I did chat online with MS support for 2 hours yesterday, and more less they suggested that I uninstall Norton 360 and use the defender. The funny thing is that for the whole time I was chatting, my laptop did not restart! At some point a senior tech took over and he asked me to do an sfc, and then a dism which did not produce any errors. Then I tried too do a "quick scan", and it crashed . After reading most of the above, I did the "silent mode 24/7" trick, and now I'll wait to see what happens. The thing is that I did go back to 14295 when 14316 was causing the same problem, and half my apps wouldn't work. I kinda like 14328, so I'll try to stick with it a bit longer. Btw, yesterday I posted something similar on thread  Norton crash with build 14328(http://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-crash-build-14328) which today is not there!!! The whole thread is gone! For a moment I thought that maybe I imagined the whole thing, that it was just a dream, but I got 5 answers to my inbox that prove I was not dreaming

Kudos0

BUILD 14332 IS DOWNLOADED... SOME BUG CAUSING BLUE SCREEN FIXED ???

I  still have Norton 360 installed a my desk PC ...will see if it crash on silent mode 1 hr  or fast scanning...

Kudos0

Try again to create a new thread !

Kudos0

I have had 14328 "working" for over 4 days - 24 hours at a time - using the "Silent mode" work around.

What have you found with 14322?

Kudos0

Build 14332 Working fine with silent mode 1 day but i start a rapid scan and BSOD... 30 sec after start...

Kudos0

New Insider Build now been released. Any1 tested Norton with it?

Kudos0

The only viable way around this at all he moment. Put NS into Silent Mode to stop idle scanning. I'm working on narrowing down pinpointing the cause. From my experience I think the cause of the problem is minor, because it's only scanning that's causing the BSOD. It could be a simple line of script or just a DLL file that's causing the BSOD.

Kudos0

Something HUGE JUST HAPPENED when I installed 14332rs1 last evening

I installed 14332 late last night (Pacific Time, CA) and just "shut down" not wanting to experiment.  This am, when I booted up, I was greeted with a "warning that I was UNPROTECTED and "did Windows 10 14332rs1 want me to TURN-ON" a firewall service.  I had two choices = Norton and Windows Defender.  I chose Norton and immediately switched on "Silent mode for 1 day, the maximum" ... but then, I was further greeted with a "NEW ICON" in the system tray for Windows Defender!  I thought they BOTH could NOT be "ON at the same time".  Defender was "yellow" but said, "last updated about the time I booted up" this am!

Silent mode is ON for the next 24 hours - I "thought" it was discussed here that "Silent mode ON" did NOT in anyway "change Norton's real-time protection"???

So, is this the "workaround" that Microsoft is pushing Windows Defender???

PS  I clicked "Full Scan" with Defender and Norton "STAYED GREEN" and no warnings or complaints - it's been running for well over 15 minutes now!

Kudos0

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 14316) and Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 14328) do not like Norton Security at all.  When a Norton scan starts, a BSOD occurs stating "Page Fault in Nonpaged Area"  Earlier builds are compatible.

Kudos0

Well, it looks like "we do NOT have to chose between Norton and Defender" until Microsoft and Norton "fix the incompatibility"

This is 14322rs1 = better than either BSOD - or - dropping back to Defender !!!

Sorry, no time until this evening to monkey around with "trying to get a BSOD to occur" as I have wasted far too many hours on this - IT WORKS, I let sleeping dogs alone !!!

Kudos0

If you want to BSOD, simply do a Norton 360 quick scan , I just did and after it restarted, defender doesn't work anymore (message: "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer").

Kudos0

I've decided to hold off until the next slow ring ISO comes out.  I've got my production machine on Windows 10 V1511 (10586.218) and Norton at 26.6.0.142.  I have a laptop running Windows 10 Version 14328 with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.  Even with those two active and "safe surfing", they let a trojan come through from one of those linked sites on Facebook off to a legitimate news site (Reuters-probably embedded in a streaming ad). Defender didn't see it and Malwarebytes didn't catch it until I ran a scan. (My trial time was up and I'm not going to pay for multiple antivirus solutions). Thankfully the laptop is isolated from my production machine, but has the same software installed as the production machine.

Out here in rural "storm country" areas it's simply too long and too problematic to download repeated rapid-fire fast ring builds with a 2.57 GB install.esd and all the "dynamic updates" that go with it, which is usually another 1 GB (3.7 GB in total). I pull the .esd file and make my own ISO files for re installation if needed.

If Microsoft could find a way to push these out in manageable true "Windows Update" forms without downloading an entire OS it would be different. Bandwidth is reduced to nil for any other internet use; and if there's a storm, its shutdown and start over time.

With slow ring ISO files available for download, at least you can pause without fear of corruption on a storm-free day.

Perhaps by then we'll be at the near final version of the OS and down to pushing out "updates" to patch up bugs and so forth, I'll take a more active role again.  I think they've pretty well finished the new features/design in large part; they'll be a few refinements for sure though.  

Norton Beta is also hard at work so when we see an updated version of Norton pushed out perhaps I'll try again.  

For now though, I'm withdrawing from this issue until, most likely a much later date.

Repeating BSOD are not at all healthy for your system and/or hard drives. You're just asking for hard disk issues. 

Kudos9 Stats

Hi everyone, I wanted to make you aware that I do follow this thread, and have been letting our Engineers know about the blue screen errors being seen with Window 10 Insider and 22.6. As is the case with most pre-release software, we don't officially support BETA, Preview, or Insider operating systems with our released products. When you're testing pre-release software, you should expect that problems will occur. That doesn't mean we're ignoring the problem; quite the opposite. We certainly don't want this error to continue through to the release of a Windows 10 update, which is why the team is actively looking into the issue. But the nature of pre-release software is that it's ever-changing, which makes it a bit of a "moving target". It doesn't make things impossible, but it makes it difficult to commit to any fixes in our released software. For that reason, I can't speculate on a timeframe or version that a fix will be included, or if the fix will be on our end or some other piece of software causing the issue. But when I find out more info, I'll reply to this thread. 

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Thank you for the update Tony! It is very much appreciated.

Kudos1 Stats

If you don't know this already I hope this helps - it appears the problem may only occur on 64 bit machines.

On my HP 64 bit machine (running build 14332 and Norton 360)   the problem persists - work around by turning on silent mode.

On my two 32 bit machines (lenovo laptops) no problem!

One  running build 14332 and Norton Security with backup  BETA  22.7.0.27

The other running build 14316 and Norton 360 22.6.0.142

Regards from Australia !

Kudos0

Hello

This is a known issue which is being worked on. Please see this thread.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-10-build-14316-constant-unexpected-reboot

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thank you also for the update Tony!  Can you please verify, "what exactly do we lose" by engaging "Silent mode" other than "background tasks"? 

Are we still fully protected?

Kudos0

Kudos0

By the way, it is Windows 10 with latest updates (NOT INSIDER), and latest Norton Security with backup. As you can see, the problem was with the Norton driver. I'm not sure 100% about that, but there were no more crashes.

Kudos0

With the latest Windows 10 build, 14332, I can confirm a BSOD is still created when a scan is run by NIS.  I have also communicated with the Microsoft engineering team and they say, "Yes, the Norton crash is a know issue.  Several of the major anti-virus makers have run into this type of problem due to how they were connecting into the OS.  They are actively working on making the appropriate changes.  Fixes will come from Norton (and other AV makers) as it's not an issue with the OS."

I believe Norton needs to either provide a fix ASAP, i.e. with a few days, or make a change in the Silent Mode to allow for more than one day.  Requiring users to every 24 hours reset the Silent Mode is unacceptable.  Norton, also understand that at the Microsoft Build 2016 event, a presentation was made where they stated that there are now 7 million Windows Insiders testing Windows 10.  I don't know what percentage of those 7 million use Norton products, but I would guess it's a fair amount of them.  I'm now about to make a decision to uninstall NIS and use Defender.  From what I hear Defender has gotten pretty good so maybe this will show me, and others, that there are just a good products out there that don't cause your computer to crash every time a scan is run.

Norton, the balls in your court.  A percentage of your base might leave unless this is resolved quickly, within days.

Kudos1 Stats

chuckcoleman:

With the latest Windows 10 build, 14332, I can confirm a BSOD is still created when a scan is run by NIS.  I have also communicated with the Microsoft engineering team and they say, "Yes, the Norton crash is a know issue.  Several of the major anti-virus makers have run into this type of problem due to how they were connecting into the OS.  They are actively working on making the appropriate changes.  Fixes will come from Norton (and other AV makers) as it's not an issue with the OS."

I believe Norton needs to either provide a fix ASAP, i.e. with a few days, or make a change in the Silent Mode to allow for more than one day.  Requiring users to every 24 hours reset the Silent Mode is unacceptable.  Norton, also understand that at the Microsoft Build 2016 event, a presentation was made where they stated that there are now 7 million Windows Insiders testing Windows 10.  I don't know what percentage of those 7 million use Norton products, but I would guess it's a fair amount of them.  I'm now about to make a decision to uninstall NIS and use Defender.  From what I hear Defender has gotten pretty good so maybe this will show me, and others, that there are just a good products out there that don't cause your computer to crash every time a scan is run.

Norton, the balls in your court.  A percentage of your base might leave unless this is resolved quickly, within days.

My advice if you're going to use Defender is to install an active scanner like Malwarebytes which offers a free 14-day trial then will be fully functional but you'll have to run on demand to scan.  It's not superior to Norton, but it will play with Defender.  The reason I say that is that Defender alone let through a Trojan on my isolated laptop when I was "safe surfing" a news site (Reuters) and I am sure it came trough one of those drive-by in article video ads that auto play.  I did a full scan on defender: No issues.  Scan on Malwarebytes: Trojan detected. DO NOT USE any Windows Insider Builds on a "Production" or day to day machines unless you've imaged your system pre-upgrade and have external hard drives with your data you can disconnect. Especially until Norton is up and running with the insider builds. I've personally withdrawn from active new fast ring-rapid fire insider drops. I'll wait for a slow ring drop and see where we stand.  By then it will be mid May to near Memorial Day I'm sure so maybe some patches will be available and the Microsoft OS pretty close to the way it will be in late July (down to just bugfixes). I don't believe Microsoft intends to make any OS changes to accommodate tens of AV providers; they may make a few changes, but in large part, it is up to each company to do the majority of the legwork. We were lucky insofar as the changes from Win 7/8.1 through the preview builds to GA Windows 10 10240 did not cause long term issues with Norton (just a few builds were issues and no BSOD).  These changes this year are more in line with a typical major OS revision.  Having Norton constantly developing/running patches for rapid-fire fast ring builds would kind of like putting up drywall in your new home before all the wooden studs are in place; and then having to tear out the drywall and re-fit with each new wall stud placed. 

Tony remarked yesterday that they are aware and are working on it; but they do not support insider builds as they change core elements so fast.  They DO INTEND to have a fully compatible program by the Windows 1607 GA date. 

Kudos0

I also am on 14332 and "Safe Mode; but "thought it was ONLY Quick scan" so, I tried to run "Full scan" and instant BSOD.

So, I am trying to decide whether to keep using Norton with the 24 hour "safe mode' workaround ... worked for 5 days, until today ... "I am showing ALL GREEN - last scan 5 days ago, manual update of defs - but are we protected"?

Kudos4 Stats

chuckcoleman:

I have also communicated with the Microsoft engineering team and they say, "Yes, the Norton crash is a know issue.  Several of the major anti-virus makers have run into this type of problem due to how they were connecting into the OS.  They are actively working on making the appropriate changes.  Fixes will come from Norton (and other AV makers) as it's not an issue with the OS."

Thanks @chuckcoleman. I won't begin to speculate on what specifically needs to be fixed, or who should do the fixing. But since it affects customers using Norton products, we continue to research it. But it also sounds like Norton isn't alone in having issues with the Insider OS.

chuckcoleman:

I believe Norton needs to either provide a fix ASAP, i.e. with a few days, or make a change in the Silent Mode to allow for more than one day.

I can feel the frustration. You want your Norton product to play nicely with this pre-release operating system. But that's not really how testing works, regardless of how many people are running it. We don't get advanced releases of the builds for testing, and when an issue like a Blue Screen error appears, a great deal of work needs to go into researching, fixing, and testing. It's a pre-release OS, and your expectations should be set appropriately.

chuckcoleman:

I'm now about to make a decision to uninstall NIS and use Defender.  From what I hear Defender has gotten pretty good so maybe this will show me, and others, that there are just a good products out there that don't cause your computer to crash every time a scan is run.

I hope you will reconsider; it seems a bit hasty to use another security product because there's an error on a pre-release OS. As our team continues to research and test, so too does Microsoft release more builds and more changes to their OS. As a few other forum members have stated before, it's not wise to test software on a production (everyday use, containing sensitive information) computer. Beta testing ANYTHING can lead to some catastrophic issues, some of which have only "wipe your system" as the solution. Hopefully you are taking these precautions when testing, and will set your expectations when running compatibility tests with other programs.

Kudos1 Stats

Tony, thank you for your comments.  Again, given 7M users testing in the Insider program, can Norton quickly develop/change the Silent Mode to make it longer; say 30 days?  Then each of us that are using NIS won't have to reinstitute Silent Mode every day?  That seems like a reasonable compromise.

Kudos0

JokerPower:

By the way, it is Windows 10 with latest updates (NOT INSIDER), and latest Norton Security with backup. As you can see, the problem was with the Norton driver. I'm not sure 100% about that, but there were no more crashes.

@JokerPower, I checked out your posts here, and your post to answers.Microsoft, but I don't see any indication of the exact build you're running where you see this issue. I also don't see information on the Norton product version you're running. If you're able to provide this information, that would be greatly appreciated. And if you're seeing a blue screen error with the GA Windows 10 build and a Norton released product, that's likely a completely different issue than what everyone else is reporting to this thread.

Kudos1 Stats

chuckcoleman:

...can Norton quickly develop/change the Silent Mode to make it longer; say 30 days?

@chuckcoleman, Sorry, it won't be done. Our engineers would need to spend time figuring out a way to actually do that with their software, write the code, test the code (remember it goes to everyone?), then deliver the code. And do this instead of actually working to resolve the problem? I think I'd rather have them continue looking into the blue screen error, to ensure that it is resolved by the time of GA. I think others would agree.

Kudos0

Finding the solution for the insider will probably save you time when the anniversary windows 10 come out. The fix will certainly help for the one that use the version 10586.216 and the future windows update of their OS. Glad that your team search a solution instead of waiting at the last moment to find a fix.

Kudos0

Tony_Weiss:
chuckcoleman:

...can Norton quickly develop/change the Silent Mode to make it longer; say 30 days?

@chuckcoleman, Sorry, it won't be done. Our engineers would need to spend time figuring out a way to actually do that with their software, write the code, test the code (remember it goes to everyone?), then deliver the code. And do this instead of actually working to resolve the problem? I think I'd rather have them continue looking into the blue screen error, to ensure that it is resolved by the time of GA. I think others would agree.

@Tony_Weiss, I am not sure how much faith I would put into Norton's engineers if they would have to, as implied by your statements, "spend time figuring out a way to actually do that with their software." The code is already there and given any modern programming language it should be a matter of expressing a new statement with a new function that has an integer value equal to the amount of time in seconds that would equate to a month.

Given that "1 Day" is already there, it would be simple multiplication to determine the value for 30 days. However, that's extreme given the pace of software development whether it's the Insider Ring or basic software development.

I would have to say 7 days would be an acceptable duration of the Silent Mode function. I use my Mac most of the time so my Windows system serves mostly server functions but I have Cortana reminding me to "refresh the Silent Mode timer" so I don't forget and end up with a BSOD.

In comparison to the time it seems like it will take to determine the root cause and how to fix it (which Microsoft should have responsibly disclosed to security suite vendors before it became a problem affecting nearly all of them), we're talking about a copy and paste of already existing code and slightly modifying it to meet the duration that's more than 24 hours.

This is a simplification since this is a forum and not an essay but no less, comparatively, the feature request for extended duration can be added fairly trivially in any modern programming language.

While the Insiders might want the extended time the most it doesn't mean others might not want it as well. I thought there used to be a setting to keep it on indefinitely but this may have been NIS many years ago.

Norton Security with Backup: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (Fast Ring) 64bit // Windows 10 Pro 64bit (Parallels Desktop for Mac) // Windows 10 Pro 64bit // Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Kudos0

@Tony_Weiss

Hello

I was using latest Norton Security with Backup, updated. I don't know the exact number of the build, because I had to uninstall it. I believe that all users of NSWB have the same version, no? Seems to be that Norton's driver was the issue.

OS version:

http://i.imgur.com/qbd1ESZ.jpg

Kudos0

That's why I'm searching for a solution myself. I'm an IT Technician and I beta test software as challenge and as a hobby. I'm running tests on both Windows and Norton. The thing, with trying to find the cause of the error both parties are at fault until proven otherwise. I thought I know for sure the cause of the problem is definitely with Norton and not Microsoft. The problem with Event ID 41. It can be caused by hardware, drivers, software or even a combination of both. I have a testbed so for me I can test an OS with software without complications. It's not that I don't have any faith in Norton Engineers... Looking for a cause of a problem like this isn't difficult. It's a matter of trial and error and eliminating the root of the problem. But by doing so can have a knock on effect with other sections of the software. Although I'm 99.9% certain the cause of the problem is with Norton. Sorry Symantec!!! I've done another clean install of Windows 10 and I'm going to install Windows 10 Redstone later on today. And try again. For on what I've established it starts crashing as soon as you run a quick scan or a full system scan. And this is before any of the patches have been applied to NS2016 or NS 2017 Bera. This you can trace back to a specific DLL file. Putting the software into silent mode resolves the problem. Although, as soon as I've tracked down the cause of the problem and I'm 100% certain I'll inform Norton.

Kudos0

JokerPower:
I was using latest Norton Security with Backup, updated. I don't know the exact number of the build, because I had to uninstall it. I believe that all users of NSWB have the same version, no?

To check your Norton product version: Main UI ˃ Help ˃ About.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Guardian Hope, very well said.  This is exactly how I felt.  Tony makes it seem like a really big change but in reality I honestly doubt it is.

Kudos1 Stats

It is easy to make a change to a program's code. But then you have to make sure that change does not affect any other dependent code in that program. Then you have to test that it does not interfere with any other software on a computer. Then you need to ensure it does not conflict with any hardware drivers.

It is the testing against the millions of combinations of hardware and software that takes time and resources. I agree with Tony that the resources would be better spent on finding a fix for the problem rather than just providing a work around.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos2 Stats

Requesting a change to Silent Mode is asking Symantec to add new functionality to its existing products, which would require the usual thorough and time-consuming testing that the company employs before releasing any new patch.  And to what end?  The current products work fine with the GA Windows 10; there is absolutely no need to rush a minor feature change.  No one is forced to use the preview builds and there is not a single reason why anyone absolutely must use them.  The Insider Program is totally voluntary: You get to try out the new features, but the trade-off is that the OS is an unfinished product, still in current development, and the builds are provided "as-is," with no assurances that they or any third-party software will work as well as one would hope.

As to whether it is a Microsoft issue or a Norton issue, that is an irrelevant question.  Microsoft made some change in their pre-release software, testers discovered a resulting incompatibility with several security programs, and those companies now have several months to resolve the issue before the final release.  This is what is supposed to happen with preview builds, it is what the developers want, and the reason for public testing in the first place.  No one should be attempting to assess blame, because neither Microsoft nor Symantec has dropped the ball.  As long as Norton works when the Anniversary Update is released this summer is all that matters.

Kudos1 Stats

SendOfJive:

Requesting a change to Silent Mode is asking Symantec to add new functionality to its existing products, which would require the usual thorough and time-consuming testing that the company employs before releasing any new patch.  And to what end?  The current products work fine with the GA Windows 10; there is absolutely no need to rush a minor feature change.  No one is forced to use the preview builds and there is not a single reason why anyone absolutely must use them.  The Insider Program is totally voluntary: You get to try out the new features, but the trade-off is that the OS is an unfinished product, still in current development, and the builds are provided "as-is," with no assurances that they or any third-party software will work as well as one would hope.

As to whether it is a Microsoft issue or a Norton issue, that is an irrelevant question.  Microsoft made some change in their pre-release software, testers discovered a resulting incompatibility with several security programs, and those companies now have several months to resolve the issue before the final release.  This is what is supposed to happen with preview builds, it is what the developers want, and the reason for public testing in the first place.  No one should be attempting to assess blame, because neither Microsoft nor Symantec has dropped the ball.  As long as Norton works when the Anniversary Update is released this summer is all that matters.

Right.  There could be endless discussions of blame; the fairness/unfairness of it all, but I think we've strayed away from the purpose of this thread.  Reporting errors and the circumstances that surround them.

Endless discussions of  other points; pros and cons and grievances serve no purpose and in no way helps the Norton employees who monitor this thread.  

Let's get back on track here and report bugs, dump file data and the circumstances which caused them for those continuing on with Norton beyond 14295. That way this thread continues to be beneficial and relevant to the people working on the issue.

If it ceases to be that; it needs to be terminated. 

Kudos0

@Rainbow_2

Like I said, latest version - 22.6.0.142

By the way, my sister is also using Norton Security with Backup (also latest version, 22.6.0.142), and she has the same issue. Norton's driver (SYMAFASI.SYS, which also was the issue on my system) is crashing on Windows 10 Pro (same build).

What is going on?

Kudos0

Hi JokerPower,

Since Tony Weiss mentioned  that your problem is "likely a completely different issue than what everyone else is reporting to this thread." you should perhaps start your own thread so that it can get better attention?

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Good News! for now. I have this problem like everyone else here. Also try the beta and the same happens. So I leave the beta because is the same as the final version, at least with this problem. Anyway, I'm checking this on a daily basis to see if something new appears. I was using the silent mode for 1 day and leave in that way. Of course I have a red cross on the NS icon because of the fast scan not running in several days. Yesterday I updated manually NS like I usually do since this happens, and also checks any updates on windows. Windows side no update, but norton always find 4 updates every time I check. Today, I start the pc and go to take breakfast, about half and hour later when I came I saw the norton logo but with the green mark, open it, and of course it wasnt the silent mode working, but it also did a fast scan! And it goes well. So, I manually run a fast scan and it didn't give me any BSOD !!! Can't believe it. Every time I just start the fast scan it gives me bsod even before the first file scans. I'm running now the 14332.1001version and and NS 22.7.0.34. I just leave the silent mode disabled and will continue using it until I get bsod. If any changes happens or if it works fine during the weekend I will let you know. Maybe some updates from yesterday solves this. I hope it did.

Kudos0

Mad5 - Thank you for your update.  On my NIS I ran LiveUpdate to make sure I had the latest files.  It downloaded a few items and installed them.  However, when I check my version, it shows 22.6.0.142.  Where did you go to update your NIS?  The key to your success might be the 22.7.0.34 that you reported.  My OS is the same as yours, Build 14332.  Thanks!

Kudos0

22.7 is Beta, 22.6 is final. You can download the beta here https://manage.norton.com/beta

Kudos0

I can confirm Beta 22.7 does fix the scanning issue, just need this in the normal product, but this will do till then.

Kudos0

Now running Beta 22.7 and doing a quick scan and no Blue Screen!!

Kudos0

Success - I had a couple of issues installing the beta version but once I got past those and after two LiveUpdates, I'm on 22.7 running a scan and no reboots or BSOD.  Looking deeper the cause of the BSOD has been reported by my system as a file, BHDrvx64.sys, version 10.0.1.5.  That file is now at version 10.1.0.75.  It looks like Norton is on the right track.  Now that we have a beta of Windows 10 and a beta of Norton, let's hope they stay working. 

Kudos0

22.7 successfully ran a quick scan without BSOD. However I am unable to activate it (won't let me login) so I only have a 7 day trial :(

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.