• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

"Install an updated version of your Norton product for Windows 10" appears repeatedly on my computer

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and I am getting repeatedly this message:

"Install an updated version of your Norton product for Windows 10" 

How can I fix it? Please advise.

Some more information: The license for Norton Internet Security finished and I uninstalled the product. Then, I upgraded to windows 10 and start getting this message. I also did what this thread saying (https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113935352_En...), but no result.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: "Install an updated version of your Norton product for Windows 10" appears repeatedly on my computer

Hi Nikos_S and welcome to the forum.

I may be missing something, but if you uninstalled Norton prior to updating to Win 10, ran the fix it tool and then the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool (NRnR) - I do not see where you ever Installed and activated a new Norton product.

Be advised the NRnR tool will not run to completion if there is not a Norton product installed.

Please let us know which Norton Product you have installed?

Kudos0

Re: "Install an updated version of your Norton product for Windows 10" appears repeatedly on my computer

Hi yank,

the product that I have installed was Norton Security. This is my case:

1) I installed Norton Security with 1 year licence

2) When the license expired, I uninstalled the product

3) After 6 months (last Sunday), I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. And I got the pop-up "Install an updated version of your Norton product for Windows 10". 

After spending a few hours reading threads and forums, this is what finally worked for me (step 1 and 2 was enough to stop the pop-up appear again. I did not executed step 3):
1. Start MSCONFIG, go to Startup tab, lookup 'Norton Download Manager' (NDM) and deactivate it  (right click)

2. Right click again on NDM and select 'Open file location'.  Removed all Norton related stuff in that folder.

3. Open registry editor (regedit32.exe), look for 'Norton download manager' and delete all related entries  (This will also ensure that NDM disappears alltogether from MSCONFIG/Startup tab.

Regards, Nikos

Kudos0

Hello Nikos_S

So your posts mean that you are no longer using Norton products?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.