• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Security 22.7 compatibility with windows 10 Anniversary update

Guys can anybody tell me whether Norton Security 22.7 version is compatible with Windows 10 Anniversary update build 1607. Today I have downloaded iso and freshly installed it and now want to install Norton version 22.7 on my 3 laptops.

Windows 10 Home (Acer OEM) x64; Intel Core i5 6th Gen, Kingston 12GB RAM (1600), Kingston 120GB SSD, 1TB WD Hard-Disk, NVIDIA 920M Graphics Card

Replies

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Norton Security 22.7 compatibility with windows 10 Anniversary update

Yes.
Norton install deactivates Windows Defender.  As per Windows design.
>> Note: new with W10 Anniversary is > Limited Periodic Scanning with Windows Defender.
Limited Periodic Scanning is a new feature of Windows 10's Anniversary Update edition (link is external) that configures Windows Defender to scan the system in intervals even if other antivirus solutions are used primarily.

How to Turn On or Off Windows 10 Limited Periodic Scanning with Windows Defender
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/51514-limited-periodic-scanning-turn-off-windows-10-a.html (link is external)---
Windows 10 Limited Periodic Scanning explained
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/27/windows-10-periodic-scanning/ (link is external)---

- Windows Defender's Limited Periodic Scanner has been turned on. What should I do for the best security and experience?
We do not recommend enabling Windows Defender's Limited Periodic Scanning feature on a Windows 10 system running Norton. Limited Periodic Scanning is redundant and will require unnecessary additional power consumption and may result in conflicting notifications and messaging. 
>> Learn how to disable Limited Periodic Scanning.

- Why should I choose Norton over Windows Defender?
With our decades of research and security expertise, our proactive protection of every aspect of your computing activities in real time, and our dedicated rescue tools and resources to help you in case your computer becomes infected, Norton is the best choice for all your devices. 
>> Read about why Norton is the best option.

Norton | Learn How Norton Goes Beyond Antivirus ---
Security Technology and Response (STAR) ---
Introducing Symantec Data Scanner (SDS) Technology

Kudos0

How can I enable  Limited Periodic Scanning? I understand that it is not recommended as redundant, but I wouldn't mind for a second opinion once in a month. I don't seem to be able to do so (the option is grayed out), because "this app is turned off by group policy". However, after opening the Group Police Editor, I found not such policy enabled under Windows Defender. 

Thanks,

John

Kudos0

Never mind, found it...

In Registry Editor > HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsDefender change the 'DisableAntiSpyware' value from 1 to 0. 

Kudos0

tzon89: Never mind, found it...In Registry Editor > HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsDefender change the 'DisableAntiSpyware' value from 1 to 0. 

Okay, so you've turned On > Windows Defender.
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html
That's not > Limited Periodic Scanning with Windows Defender.

Kudos0

It would appear so by the name of the entry, but it doesn't turn on real time protection. The only difference is that I am now able to launch the UI of Windows Defender and change its settings - except real time protection which is still grayed-out (it is grayed out at the 'on' position, but it is off).

Kudos0

Do you want Windows Defender On..?

When you enable Windows Defender Periodic Scanning on Windows 10, you will be able to use the user interface and history tab of the program to manage threats even if the application itself is not turned on.

Windows 10 Limited Periodic Scanning explained
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/27/windows-10-periodic-scanning/ ---

Look at picture > Windows Defender is Off (greyed) and toggle for Limited Periodic Scanning is available.Look at picture > Windows Defender is Off (greyed) and toggle for Limited Periodic Scanning is available. >> Learn how to disable Limited Periodic Scanning.

Kudos0

I don't get your point... I turned on periodic scanning keeping real time protection off. I don't want Defender's protection on. In case you are wondering about the 'cloud-based protection' setting being active (compared to your image), I'm not sure why that is. Microsoft has apparently messed the settings with every new update they release. Anyway, if I get any conflicts or slowdowns I will turn it all the way off again! I am just curious about the new feature! 

Thanks,

John

Kudos0

Okay, earlier you wrote > How can I enable Limited Periodic Scanning? and

Never mind, found it... In Registry Editor > HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsDefender change the 'DisableAntiSpyware' value from 1 to 0. 

your reg tweak turns Windows Defender On.  
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html
Do you want Windows Defender On..?

When you enable Windows Defender Periodic Scanning on Windows 10, you will be able to use the user interface and history tab of the program to manage threats even if the application itself is not turned on.

Kudos0

@Vivek_Singh86

This thread seems to have gotten off topic. In answer to your original question, Yes. Norton v22.7.0.76 is compatible with Win 10 Anniversary update. I just allowed Windows update to do the upgrade for me. After the restart, my Norton is working correctly.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks > Yes > Permalink

Kudos0

Glad to see solutions for the Anniversary update compatibility with Norton, I will be installing NS 22.7 and will share here whether any error or other issues arises after installing.

Windows 10 Home (Acer OEM) x64; Intel Core i5 6th Gen, Kingston 12GB RAM (1600), Kingston 120GB SSD, 1TB WD Hard-Disk, NVIDIA 920M Graphics Card
Kudos1 Stats

I have just installed NS 22.7 and updated it through manual live update, i was asked for restart and did the same, now everything seems working fine.

Regarding defender- it is turned off and limited periodic scanning is also turned off by default after installing NS. The only thing i noticed is little slow down when system starts, but that remain for couple of seconds.

Kudos0

Vivek_Singh86:  I have just installed NS 22.7 and updated it through manual live update, i was asked for restart and did the same, now everything seems working fine.

Please review Settings to familiarize and confirm preference. 

Kudos1 Stats

i have just kept the default settings for Norton and windows defender is turned off.

Kudos0

Hello

To help to void any issues, please keep Fast Startup off.in Windows 10.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 288 Chrome latest version.
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Dear floplot i have not changed any windows fast startup setting, neither any norton settings. Everything is at default. Luckly everything is working superfast and superfine...Norton people..god bless u.
Kudos0

Hi, after updating to Windows 10 Anniversary update trying to perform a quick scan or a full scan fails just after starting with the message "Error During Scan".  Windows Defender is turned off and Limited Periodic Scanning is turned off.  Version check states that I have the latest version of Norton Security.

Kudos1 Stats

ianuk

Have you restarted your computer? The anniversary update turned the Fast Startup feature back on for many users. You might want to turn it off again.

Kudos0

Guys I just ran quick scan, all performance tool, all are working great. Screenshot is attached.

Kudos0

Hi peterweb, thanks, turned off Fast Startup feature and scans now working ok.

Kudos0

ianuk

Good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 22.7 compatibility with windows 10 Anniversary update.

Since Win 10 v 1607 Update, my NS 22.7 no longer shows any Installed Programs in Settings\Firewall\Program Control.  Anyone else have this problem?

Kudos1 Stats

Did you turn off Fast Startup and restart the computer?

The Programs should get added as they try to access the internet.

Kudos0

Thank you.  That fixed the problem.  Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Kudos0

Dear Martyn Simpson I did not face any problem as such. Good job peter

Kudos0

Glad I could help.

Kudos0

Hello

I did mention back on Aug. 5 to keep Fast Startup off. I did forget about restarting, but that should be done for any major update. I would also suggest that you restart your computer at least once a day if possible and get the latest updates.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903 Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 288 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.