• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

CPU usage

Hello.

Norton is using up 40-50% of my CPU and it slows my computer down a lot. I have no idea what Norton is even doing. I can't find any cancel button and I can't exit the process. I tried restarting my computer but its still running. It might have always been like this without me noticing. But its completely unacceptable for me that Norton is using so much CPU when not doing any particular task.

I can't let this go on, especially when I don't even know what Norton is doing. I need a solution to this or I will uninstall it. It's driving me insane.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: CPU usage

Hi Skock,

Or... you can learn something from this thread: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/nisexe-consuming-too-much-ram-win...

3 cents:

• plz make sure your computer is PUP-free: to do so, plz check your Startup menu, Schedule list and apps/programs list under Control Panel. As for the term PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program), plz learn how to avoid those items proactively. For in-depth case study, you can read this story regarding adware pop-ups & MegaBackup.
  • plz make sure your system is malware/virus-free: clean those temporary stuff (e.g., browsing data) first > scan your system by using an up-to-date Norton client under Windows Safe Mode. To up the scan process, you can consider: 1) Excluding large files from scanning (feel free to correct this option :) ); 2) ignore scanning JPG files.
  • Contact official Norton Support for more help.

Now you:

• What operating system are you using?
  • And, what Norton product are you running?

Thanks and luck!

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos1 Stats

Skock:

Norton is using up 40-50% of my CPU and it slows my computer down a lot. I have no idea what Norton is even doing. I can't find any cancel button and I can't exit the process. I tried restarting my computer but its still running.

Hi Skock:

I don't think rfgvet1's thread nis.exe consuming too much RAM on Windows 7 suggested by 20750065 will be of much help since most of the comments there were related to diagnosis of high RAM (memory) usage, not CPU usage.

Were you able to confirm that nis.exe is the process consuming your CPU using Task Manager or a utility like Sysinternal's Process Explorer, and is this high CPU consumption occurring outside of system idles when you're trying to use your computer?  If you use Task Manager, be sure to click " Show process from all users" since there are two process for nis.exe  - one for low priority tasks under your user name and one for real-time protection under SYSTEM.

There are several background Norton tasks that run during system idles and consume significant amounts of CPU, but these tasks should normally pause when you take your system out of idle (e.g., by moving your mouse or typing on your keyboard) and then restart once your system goes back into idle mode.  The last completion time of these tasks can be found at Settings | Administrative Settings | Background Tasks | Configure (or Performance | Norton Tasks for Norton v21.x or older).  Some higher-priority tasks like Automatic LiveUpdate will occasionally run outside of idle if Norton detects that the task hasn't run recently because your system hasn't been idle long enough to trigger the task.

If high CPU usage by nis.exe is occurring outside of system idles while you're working on your computer (and you haven't scheduled a custom scan or task to run outside of idles) then this might indicate that you have some process running on your system and being constantly monitored by Norton e.g., malware, a PUP (a potentially unwanted program like a lower-risk browser toolbar or adware), or a program that has an poor reputation rating and is not trusted by Norton because it is rarely used in the wider Norton community.

High CPU by nis.exe outside of system idles can also occur if your Norton installation is corrupted.  Have you tried refreshing your installation by running the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) Tool at www.norton.com/nrnr to re-install the latest version of your Norton product [currently v22.7.1.32 - go to Help | General Information | About (or Support | About if you use v21.x or older].  If you have recently re-installed Norton, make sure that you have run multiple LiveUpdates and re-booted when prompted until no further updates are available to ensure you're fully patched.

As 20750065 noted, it would be helpful to know some basic information about your system specs, including your operating system, name and version number of your Norton product and your default browser.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Hi, thanks for the answers. Yeah, the problem was I think it was running some kind of task but it didnt stop for hours and I used the computer the whole time. I tried to play games but it was really frustrating with the freezes and everything was running slow. Even after i restarted the computer it kept running.
Yesterday I downloaded the norton uninstall and reinstall program and used that. After that I made sure I had all the updates and restarted my computer twice. Everything seems to work now.

Hopefully this doom scan wont come back since it made my computer and toaster. I will mark this as resolved for now.

Kudos0

Skock:

I tried to play games but it was really frustrating with the freezes and everything was running slow. Even after i restarted the computer it kept running.

Yesterday I downloaded the norton uninstall and reinstall program and used that. After that I made sure I had all the updates and restarted my computer twice. Everything seems to work now.

Hi Skock:

It isn't unusual for to see system performance affected when users are playing games unless they tweak the settings in their antivirus.  If the problem comes back see Schwalker's thread Frequent high CPU usage by NIS for one example where Steam games were flagged by Norton's heuristic (behaviour-based) detection as possible malware for their "suspicious activity" (e.g., rapid disk read/writes).  There are suggestions in that thread about creating real-time scan exclusions (Setting | AntiVirus | Scans and Risks | Exclusions / Low Risks | Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, SONAR and Download Intelligence Detection) or even changing the access rules through your Smart Firewall for the executables for your games (assuming you are certain these files are safe) that might be helpful.

Gamers sometimes configure Norton to go into Quiet Mode (Settings | Administrative Settings | Silent Mode Settings | Quiet Mode on Detection of: | User-Specified Programs | Configure) when executables for their games are running to ensure Norton doesn't launch any background tasks while they're gaming, but I'm not sure how useful this is since most background tasks should only launch when your system is idle.

If you check the support site or forum for your games they often have recommended configuration settings for antivirus programs to minimize any potential conflict.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.