• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Account's "Devices" missing a device

I don't understand how the Devices page of my account gets populated and what it's for.

I purchased "Norton Security Deluxe" Aug 18th.  The next day I upgraded an XP computer going from NIS to Norton Security.  During installation it prompted me to log into my account. Continuing on, I didn't enter in the product key but just clicked on the "Norton Security Deluxe" icon that was displayed.  I was assuming that it noticed I had available seats with this previously purchased product so I just clicked it.

On my browser I checked my account and on the Devices page it showed that the computer was "Trial" but on the Services page, it was showing up as one of the 5 seats.  So I deleted the item on the Devices page and Removed the License under the Services page.

On the XP, this time I entered the product key for the Norton Security Deluxe.  On my Norton account, the XP does not show up on the Devices page, but it does show up using one of the seats on the Services page.

Is the Devices page of any importance?  The devices listed don't seem to correspond to the number of computers that are on the Services page.  What would happen if I deleted all the computers listed on the Devices page?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Account's "Devices" missing a device

On the missing device, open Norton > Settings > Administrative Settings > Remote Management > On > Apply.

If you delete the devices shown on the Devices page they will all become unlicensed and Norton will stop protecting your machines.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Thanks for the reply Krusty13.  I'll check the settings when I'm onsite on Friday.

Kudos0

I checked the Remote Management setting and the On/Off option is disabled/gray and I can't change the setting.  Also I noticed that the Sign On option doesn't exist at the top/right corner of the main window.

Since the computer shows up under the Services tab when I check online, I'm guessing I don't have anything to worry about(?).  What am I missing with the lack of Remote Management?

Kudos0

Are you using a Windows administrator account when looking at the settings?

How many days remaining are shown on the main Norton screen?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I checked using an administrator account and there's no difference.  Remote Management option is disabled still.

On the main Norton screen it doesn't show the number of days remaining.  It only shows Active (I think).

It appears to be working and it shows up on the Services page.  I'm not going to worry about it for now since my plan is to replace the system by the end of the year.  If it acts up, I'll post at that time.

Thanks anyway...

Kudos0

Active is OK. The product is activated on that computer. And as long as you see a green check mark in the Norton icon on the System Tray, your product is working correctly.

There are other users here that have seen this discrepancy between the Devices and Services tabs. The Service tab is usually correct. Norton has been made aware of this issue, but no fix yet.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks for letting me know Peterweb... good to know I'm not the only one with the problem.

Kudos0

Hi All

I see the discrepancy between the Devices and Services tabs is still an issue! (Oh come on!!!)

I just went into my account and noted, on the My Devices page, it says "Security 5 Devices" (although I know my current subscription covers 3 - only 3) and - surprise! - shows only two as protected!

But, go to the My Services page, and 3 devices are (correctly) recorded as covered - the device IDs are even given correctly!

Now let's go back to the My Devices page with the two protected (and two unprotected) devices:

One PROTECTED device is easily identifiable - it's my cellphone (the make and model are clearly stated as on My Services). The second PROTECTED device, named "(My name)-Windows 10-1", is unidentifiable unless you go into the Norton app itself (Help/General Information/About) where it identifies the machine it's on as "(My name)-Windows 10-1". Now at least it's showing me as "online". A relief! Just a few minutes ago I was, apparently, "offline".

Now to the two UNPROTECTED devices, both labelled "ISSUE FOUND" in orange. They are named "(My name)-Windows 10" and "(My name)-Windows 10-2". One of these surely has to be the third device covered by my subscription. Norton was protecting it just this morning (since the app on it warned - as on the machine I'm using now - only 23 days remained).

This problem has been going on for a considerable time. I noted it last year myself. It's embarrassing it hasn't been addressed!

ausgumbie

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.