• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

SDSDefs problem with Norton Security

I have Norton Security installed in many comps at my place including laptops and PCs. I noticed that the SDSDefs folder as shown in the attached screen print in PDF format retains many folders and uses up space on HDD. They cannot be deleted too. Symantec/Norton has to do something about it. The Screen Shot from the computer, which is attached, has the fresh/new installation. Even the VirusDefs folder is created but empty in this new installation. This started happening after the SDSDefs system was implemented. This new installation is only few days old. I have the same problem in the other computers too, but I can't send the screen shot as they are not accessible at present by me as they are out of residence at present.

I would like to mention to points here:

1. All Systems Win10 with all the updates installed to the latest and fast Startup disabled.

2. BootTime Protection Set to Aggressive in all computers.

AND I would like to mention that all computers are full shut down at end of the day.

File Attachment: 
Labels: VirusDefs

Replies

Kudos0

Re: SDSDefs problem with Norton Security

I forgot to add that all the folders have some files in the same, some having 1file and some having more than 5.The system does not allow them to delete even after disabling temporarily Auto Protect, Smart Firewall or Norton Product Tamper Protection.

Kudos0

-Introducing Symantec Data Scanner (SDS) Technology

Even the VirusDefs folder is created but empty in this new installation.

VirusDefs folder is a remnant (pre-SDS) and reported will be removed with future build.

Norton Security local definitions contain the signatures of the most prevalent threats. When not connected to the internet, your machine will still be protected from high risk threats. When connected to the internet, Norton Security scan engine will perform the scan using both local definitions and cloud definitions.  Norton will access the local definitions and a few other layers of protection to get the process going. If the scan engine detects something that requires further investigation, cloud definitions are accessed, providing a thorough cleaning of the items. The final scan results will be a combination of several layers of protection, incorporating both the Local and Cloud definitions.

Kudos1 Stats

MehulBhai:

I have Norton Security installed in many comps at my place including laptops and PCs. I noticed that the SDSDefs folder as shown in the attached screen print in PDF format retains many folders and uses up space on HDD. They cannot be deleted too. Symantec/Norton has to do something about it.

Hi MehulBhai:

I see a large accumulation of subfolders in my C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs folder going back to definition set v20160630.xxx - see the attached PDF for the full screenshot.  Note that 30-Jun-2016 is also the date I upgraded from v21.x to v22.x.  Older subfolders contain one .dat file named vscanmsx.dat.

Is this a bug?

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos0

But is Symantec/Norton doing something about it?

How to notify them?

Kudos0

MehulBhai,

Have you tried refresh install....
Um, your SDS look normal (to me) from 24/07/2016 (July 24).  
Sorry, what am I missing from your screenshot..?

Kudos1 Stats

bjm_:

Um, your SDS look normal (to me) from 24/07/2016 (July 24). 

Hi bjm_:

What is the normal number (or max. age) of older SDS definitions that are supposed to accumulate in the C:\Program Files\<Norton product name>\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs folder?  If I recall correctly, virus definitions for my NIS v21.7.0.11 were only retained for a few days and the subfolder for the oldest set was automatically wiped each time LiveUpdate delivered a new set of definitions.

The Date Modified column in the screenshots MehulBhai and I both posted would suggest that Norton is trying to modify (empty and delete?) each subfolder in ...\SDSDefs a day or two after creation.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Aha, that's what I missed.....sorry.   Thanks
So, you're thinking "housekeeping" is not keeping house..?

FWIW ~ Aug 05 > http://s31.postimg.org/cnzuf76rf/screenshot.png

Kudos0

It has been going on since a patch back in March 2016. The issue survives repeated Re-install, save settings, and Re-install everything and install NEWest Release dot 76.
It came with that March patch that also:
Disabled user size adjustment of the History and "More Details" child window of History. The only size change now is Clear to Task Bar, Default size, and Full screen.

That's also when the product was getting mixed up from a LiveUpdate install or patch -->  whether to run uiStub.exe or WSCStub.exe on start-up, or which order to run them in on which systems, I'm guessing about that, but those exe files are responsible for user opening of Norton control panel from the Start menu, pinned to the Task Bar, and the Quick Icon by the clock. Some sort of install problem that was concurrent with the left behind outdated folders and files.
See this post ->

Cannot open Norton 360 using the Norton notification tray icon.

at -->

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/cannot-open-norton-360-using-nort...

or the underlying problem that the 22.7.0 dot 76 release fixed. Both those files are part of the product one for 32 bit systems one for 64 bit systems. The 64 bit systems still runs the 32 bit code.

The same thing is going on with the IPSDefs folder, extra folders before the LiveUpdate that: copies, renames and adds to/updates the contents.

When in "Safe Mode" in Windows 7, hold F8 while booting, administrator is allowed to delete files and folders. That's how I got rid of something neither Norton Security nor Norton Power Eraser could accomplish but I found the malicious program folder and files NS & NPE tried but failed to deal with and booted to Safe mode and accomplished the deletions. Afterwards I -- rebooted, verified, ran Registry Cleaner, rebooted then ran Norton and Power Eraser to see if everything is shipshape.

I haven't done anything to the folders and files in Norton. I'm waiting for Norton's fix. Scraping the burned part from off the Toast fixes the Toast but it doesn't fix the TOASTER.

All of the extra files/folders disappear after a re-install and periodically, some, not all, disappear: after a patch or LiveUpdate that require a re-boot, and SOMETIMES some of them after a re-boot.

Level 1 and Level 2 off-shore phone support, escalated the issues over and over since March, BRAND NEW to each one of the many off-shore Technical representatives On-shore. Corporate Tiers of support has left  off-shore in the dark about the existence and status of any fix.  Or, it's not in off-shore's interest to reduce the need for their ears and fingers keying up reports lacking or mis-describing the problem. I have had representative read from the predecessor's notes that miss the point, ambiguously describe the problem ... ... beats me.

J

Kudos1 Stats

Fbgnarm:

The same thing is going on with the IPSDefs folder, extra folders before the LiveUpdate that: copies, renames and adds to/updates the contents.

Fbgnarm:

Are you seeing the problem described by the OP MehulBhai - namely, accumulation of a large number of old subfolders in C:\Program Files\<Norton product name>\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs?  If not, please don't take this thread off-topic. I don't have an issue with clean-up of old IPS definitions in my \IPSDefs folder, or any of the other problems you described in your post.
-----------

Kudos0

MehulBhai:

But is Symantec/Norton doing something about it? How to notify them?

Hi MehulBhai:

You can contact Norton Customer Support directly via Live Chat at www.norton.com/chat and ask them if this is a known issue.  Just be warned that they typically advise that customers first try a refresh their installation by running the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) Tool at www.norton.com/nrnr for almost any problem, so you might need to have your your concerns escalated to 2nd tier technical support to get an answer.

I performed a clean install of NIS v22.7.0.76 when I upgraded from v21.7.0.11 and still have this problem.  I uninstalled v21.7.0.11 from the Control Panel (selecting "Please remove all user data"), ran the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) at www.norton.com/nrt to wipe traces of my old installation, installed v22.7.0.76 using the latest NIS offline installer from www.norton.com/latestnis, and ran multiple LiveUpdates to ensure v22.7.0.76 was fully patched.   I'm not sure a simple refresh with the NRnR Tool would help either of us, given that you've observed this problem on multiple computers.
-----------

Kudos0

Every answer is going in the wrong direction!!!

Kudos0

MehulBhai:  Every answer is going in the wrong direction!!!

Okay, > "Symantec/Norton has to do something about it". 
I'll try to bump your concern.

Kudos0

Yes I have the same thing happening in the SDSDefs folder and the Same thing happening in the IPSDefs folder. 

When it started - March.

What started it -- Faulty Patch and or Faulty behavior of LiveUpdate 

What Norton announced was being fixed in July --  Tool-bar ,

but it was the wrong Quick Start Icon which is initiated at boot by one of the two xxxStub.exe applications. The wrong one was initiating at boot and the Icon by the clock which is a shortcut by click or opens a pick list by R-click, and the shortcut in task bar and beginning start menu and link in start menu more programs NORTON link OPEN were all mixed up from one fresh start from shutdown to the next, randomly. Sometimes the Norton interface could be started manually from the correct xxxStub.exe application in the Norton folder on the system side.

The more details button of a LiveUpdate session in the History selection Norton give the most details. When the SDSDefs or the IPSDefs are updated LiveUpdate leaves the old un-updated folder(s). 

Norton off-shore support gives no status of the problems. Some times they see a CASE has been opened, Just numbers NO keywords or description. The next level of off-shore support will call back in 24-48 hours. I've gotten many VoiceMails from them. No information in the message except that they CALLED. That satisfies their job duties each gets paid for.

This topic, SDSDefs, is just one of many symptoms of a Larger underlying BUG, not off topic. It's a summary and analysis, of what Norton needs to fix. Re-installs, re-boots, registry cleaning and safe-mode use are just band-aids, work a-rounds.

"?Could the Forum administrator give us a status ETR, Estimated Time of Resolution? or at least -- acknowledgement?"

The July Norton Fix announcement just took care of the Alpha Alligator. The swamp isn't drained.  Off shore support scrapes the burned toast, covers it with gee and ginger, serves it and puts another slice in the broken toaster. 

The Gurus can't fix it, only work around it, explain - accurately describe. Fixing is a job for programmers -- IT.

J

Kudos0

Mine having just 287mb as the resource usage on the HDD

Windows 10 Home (Acer OEM) x64; Intel Core i5 6th Gen, Kingston 12GB RAM (1600), Kingston 120GB SSD, 1TB WD Hard-Disk, NVIDIA 920M Graphics Card
Kudos0

Mine has hit as high as 816 mb. The disk starts running minutes at a time at random moments, like right now, with screen flashes.

Repeated restarts and Norton Utilities eventually reduce it back to about 187 mb.

J

Kudos0

My machine had upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary update on 2nd August. I installed one licensed software not related to this. I found that the software did not work properly even after shut down. So I restarted and it worked properly.

And later I found out that the "Fast Startup" was enabled automatically while doing the Windows 10 Anniversary update. My previous version of Windows 10 had "Fast Startup" disabled.

I, hence, disabled "Fast Startup" and done normal full shut down and power ON. I noticed later after this that there were changes in the SDSDefs folder. Some folders were deleted. But still there were about 10 folders. Previously in these 2-3 days it had increased to 20 folders. But there were more folders than 1 folder in the machine even in the previous version of Windows 10 too.

Kudos0

Norton is leaving a Mess bigger than Windows can clean up. That's a NORTON RESPOSIBILITY TO FIX not any User error.

J

Kudos0

Hello

I have the issue of having the folders in SDS Definition Folder, one folder for each day since June 14th. I'm on Windows  7 Pro. I have notified Norton directly about this last night. . Logs may have to be taken to get this fixed My IPS folder is ok so far. It looks like it affects all operating systems

Thanks.

I have just updated my notice to Symantec/Norton..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hello Floplot

More power to you for getting anything useful from your updated notice to Symantec/Norton..-- an Estimated time it will be fixed would be nice.

My reply above of 2016 08 05, paragraph 7: here are the details I summarized.
  • I made numerous return calls to request the status of the BUGS. -- "What bug?" ... explain over again.
  • I got  back UN-informative voice-mails (24-48 hours later) on July 1, 4, 5, & 5, 2016. No status, advice, or acknowledgement of the bugs, Just "Hello this is (Mr.) ___ at Norton technical support .... ." of 19 seconds, 33 seconds, 23 seconds, and 19 seconds.
  • The last one was left while I was on an 90 some minute HOLD with the beginner support person who never came back on the line. The disconnect was a the top of the hour. Maybe when the shift ended in the Philippines.

Then I did a Windows restore, UN-instal and re-install from an archived DL, which then JUMPED the line and got the dot 76 version from LU with the bugs but not the poison pill.

J

Window 7 Pro, Compaq Presario dual processor AMD.

Re-booting and registry clean sometimes makes some or all of the extra SDS & IPS folders go away, It's still random if the USER INTERFACE controls work or not after a registry clean, tune, and re-boot. Most recently:  6 restarts with waiting and waiting to see if the Quick-Start ICON, Start Menu Shortcut, Desktop Short-cut, Task-bar short-cut or Program List in Start-All Programs-Norton Security with Back-up pick list would become active. The first 5 in over an hour but less than 2 hours, didn't.
At least there isn't the poison pill -- Nothing Works, Screen crazy flashing error dialog boxes, which mean "out of HANDLES, and speaker gonging like Big Ben, pull the power plug that was happening with the dot 75 release.

Kudos0

After LU this morning the EXTRA SDSDefs folder remained, I made it go away by the next restart, but it took 2 more restarts for the User Interface control to function. Each time starting up I waited for CPU activity to go down to idle, about 40 minutes used up.but not my pay-for-it on-line time, but still, I found info in history.

Norton Blocked x3  -- Unauthorized access blocked (Access Process Data) two different process concurrent with the User Interface stall.

• The 1st and 2nd was "CONHOST.EXE which is part of Windows.
  • The 3rd was ACTIVEHEALTH.EXE which is HEWLET-PACKARD\HP\SUPPORT FRAMEWORK\RESOURCES\HPACTIVEHEALTH\  (Compaq is owned by HP)
  • Both are part of the startup process probably checking or verifying what is also loaded. That's my guess. I've seen CONHOST.EXE blocked before.

Looking in all the folders in the Definitions folder, each has a file  usage.dat which open with Notepad. Open/Display of each of those .dat files has that yyyymmdd.### folder name in brackets- "["& "]" that is in its parent folder, only the most current one, not the unnecessary extras. The IPSDefs folder has two and both ore listed in its .dat file. I have a hunch that the contents of that .dat file is what "ENGINE" program looks at for what file to use/load for a scan. It would be OK to delete the old ones in safe mode, but the re-boot deletes them anyway,

What if all of them were deleted in safe mode, after there's a copy on a memory stick. Adding files to folders on the system side is allowed for Administrator without booting to safe mode. (re-boot to safe mode & put the needed one back if Norton Hangs the system. -- I used up my experiment time on more than a dozen Norton Community log in Server Fails to post this

? Any one interested in experimenting?  and reporting the error messages, or hung system.

Off topic - Norton Toolbar starts using Most bandwidth, traffic, non-stop, with a process coNatHst.exe when opening FireFox, even to the "about:blank" page which opens, sans error, even if off line with any browser I have ever used. It's an empty browser or tab, no contents and needs no traffic.

J

Window 7 Pro, Compaq Presario dual processor AMD

Kudos1 Stats

Fbgnarm:

Norton Blocked x3  -- Unauthorized access blocked (Access Process Data) two different process concurrent with the User Interface stall.

• The 1st and 2nd was "CONHOST.EXE which is part of Windows.
  • The 3rd was ACTIVEHEALTH.EXE which is HEWLET-PACKARD\HP\SUPPORT FRAMEWORK\RESOURCES\HPACTIVEHEALTH\  (Compaq is owned by HP)
  • Both are part of the startup process probably checking or verifying what is also loaded. That's my guess. I've seen CONHOST.EXE blocked before.

Hi Fbgnarm:

The Unauthorized Access Blocked messages in your security history are logged by Norton Product Tamper Protection every time an executable file attempts to read/write/edit/delete a Norton file.  Common Windows processes like svchost.exe, taskmgr.exe, dfrgntfs.exe, etc. as well as any executable from third-party software like CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will cause one of these Unauthorized Access Blocked messages to be logged if they touch a file from your Norton installation. Please see my post <here> in the Product Suggestions board regarding logging of these blocks.

Again, please try to restrict your comments to the topic of this thread - namely, accumulation of a large number of old subfolders in C:\Program Files\<Norton product name>\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs.
-----------

Kudos0

Kudos0

And FWIW, the attached .PDF is the latest screenshot for my \SDSDefs folder on my 32-bit Vista machine.  Every outdated subfolder from 20160630.020 to 20160808.001 contains a single 3 KB .dat file named vscanmsx.dat.  The last three folder created today (e.g., 20160809.xxx) are the only subfolders that still contain actual virus definition files.
-----------

Kudos0

Kudos0

The .dat file I was referring to is the one usage.dat which is in each of the folders in the Definitions folder. SDSDefs is one of the subfolders. Each of them contains a folder yyyymmdd.### except VirusDefs is empty and IPSDefs has two yyyymmdd.### folders. Each usage.dat FILE lists in its TEXT, not another folder just the name of one folder YYYYMMDD.### that is VALID. The usage.dat file in IPSDefs folder lists two. The extra, Unneeded, Forgotten To BE de-LETED by LU, which go away on re-boot, are not listed, It seems that each usage.dat file in those respective locations is A Manifest because that information pointed to is changed frequently.

Restart gets rid. the Unauthorized Access Blocked in HISTORY is just keeping track of RUBBING salt in the wound.

lmacri wrote, "The last three folder created today (e.g., 20160809.xxx) are the only subfolders that still contain actual virus definition files."

The usage.dat file, Does It List ALL Three (e.g., 20160809.xxx) or just the last one ? ?

J

? Does anyone know how to turn on or keep turned on, the formatting control bar in this. The tool DANCES from writing SOURCE-- tag, Your IT, to WYSIWYG and the control has a switch, without the switch -- clepsydra ? ?

Kudos1 Stats

Fbgnarm:

Restart gets rid. the Unauthorized Access Blocked in HISTORY is just keeping track of RUBBING salt in the wound.

The usage.dat file, Does It List ALL Three (e.g., 20160809.xxx) or just the last one ? ?

Hi Fbgnarm:

Please post a screenshot of the 2016xxxx.xxx subfolders that currently appear in your C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs folder.  It is normal for a  small number (i.e., three or four) older 2016xxxx.xxx subfolders to accumulate, as bjm_ has shown in his latest .jpg image <here>.  As far as I know, it is not normal to have large numbers of these older 2016xxxx.xxx subfolders dating back weeks, or even months, as shown in my latest .PDF <here>.

See Andmike's thread How to post an image in the forums if you have problems posting an image.

Just FYI, the contents of my C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs\usage.dat only list the one name of the latest 201608xx.xxx definition set currently in use.  These .dat files are often used by your Norton software for storing and internal tracking of configuration settings.  Users should not be editing the contents of these .dat files (or registry entries, for that matter) and potentially corrupting their Norton installation.
-----------

Kudos0

In order these are the 3 solutions 0 to 3. Solutions: 0 sub 0, 0 sub 1 and 0 sub 2 -- for all systems XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 & 8.1 and Windows 10:

Zero sub 0 -- Norton FIXES LiveUpdate to do housekeeping completely to the new folder in the Definition folder. SDSDefs.

Zero sub 1 -- Norton DEFINES and Documents it as a feature, Their standard documentation give it NAME & describe that it puts an updated sub-folder YYYYMMDD.### each time LU finds newer data than the subscriber currently has. The old ones will deteriorate until deleted whenever .........

Zero sub 2 -- Norton sends off-shore technicians to each users site, BOTH of them, one going west from the east coast and the other going east from the west coast.

User solution, work a-rounds to remove from all systems and all versions of systems:

One sub 0: Un-install and Re-install as often as the user feels like it. Doesn't change behavior of LU next update.

User solution, work around to remove from most systems, most versions of systems:

Two sub 0. Restart over as needed. May work in XP & Vista & Windows 7 32 bit, known to work in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit that runs NSBU in 32 bit mode. Window 8 and 8.1 unknown. Windows 10 doesn't do it for Mr. Mehul Patel he started this topic and says so.

Two sub 1. Registry cleaner/System tune Software BEFORE Restart, repeat as needed., I seem to recall Registry cleaner from Norton or my other Tune SW listed one or some YYYYMMDD.### file(s) when I had more than four of them and using some 500 mb to almost 900 mb. I didn't look at the contents of the folder (as Imacri Posted: 09-Aug-2016 | 6:45PM), before I ran those housekeeping programs I hoped one would work, They are my first escalation, intervention troubleshooting choice. My system is powered up and down many time a day but not re-booted from scratch each time. At least twice a week for the Tuesday & Friday MS Windows update.

Three sub 0. Start in Safe Mode. delete program files and folders is allowed, XP has Safe Mode, I had an XP system. Vista probably has safe Mode, I skipped a version. Windows 7 has safe mode I've removed program files and folders that neither Power Eraser nor Norton 360 nor NSBU Scan could delete, they reported FAIL and the name of the files/folders. If any or all of Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Window 10 have Safe Mode and their respective Safe Mode Permits program file & folder deletes, then, that's ALL the solution.

Each of the Solutions Zero to Three has advantages and disadvantages, ease and difficulty, collateral issues -- frozen UI start-up, back-story (Remember LU FAIL--Auto-fix big DL or 500+mb intelligent up-dater), Probability & Laugh-ability & De nigh-ability (Our best off shore Technicians are on the job - on-shore.)

Further discussion would be confirmation, or not, which Users Solution by recommendation or cautioning, from anecdote of use, work best for each combination of system and Norton Product with dot 76 update and the legacy LiveUpdate process. Other collateral or concurrent behavior or misbehavior of the product or system is part of the criteria re: which solution for: which circumstance, therefore possibly off topic but implicit for solving things

J

Imacri's post came in while I was composing , editing this post. His post QUOTED ME "The usage.dat file, Does It List ALL Three (e.g., 20160809.xxx) or just the last one ? " -- opening that file and Reading it, those files and Program folders can NOT be edited/changed or deleted by users EXCEPT in SAFE MODE. a User can READ them, Some applications have a 'READ ME.txt' file, I related what that usage.dat file contained and what it DID NOT contain, I conclude that the ones that aren't listed are LU housekeeping errors, TRASH, unless Norton documents it otherwise.

Quoting Imacri's answer,"Just FYI, the contents of my C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs\usage.dat only list the one name of the latest 201608xx.xxx definition set currently in use." Fbgnarm -- AS does mine, both before and after the UNLISTED ones GO AWAY to the BIT Bucket on restart. The Blocked Access may be related to Window deleting them, or maybe LU is actually doing the deleting on restart, then Windows notices a discrepancy and is doing some sort of synchronization that Intrusion prevention feature blocks, and the HP Health check takes a try. Meanwhile the blocking, results in retaliation: the Norton User Interface, UI, "click-on controls" fail. Maybe it gets sorted out on by-the-numbers shut down re-boot or 6 or 10. I 'm just speculating about details under the hood. It meets behavior criteria of BUGS, and it's in the DOT 76 release.

No pictures for me to learn how to post (fight with this forum SW) The info is from notes, logs. I keep size, numbers and times when I archived things that have since aged away and have been PURGED. I only have the notes that I refer to, sometimes I include a snip but not one as requested.Our libretto are to the same tune but the orchestra sections are playing in different keys. This is quasi-off topic. so I'll stop slipping this in above my existing, BELOW about the forum posting SW's unfriendliness.

The formatting toolbar and WYSIWYG display were AWOL

Anyone know some out of browser app that does that then switches to code view for pasting into the forum? I preview over and over & scrolling just to get the paragraph breaks that this thing is supposed to convert from double enter-key presses. That feature is also AWOL!!

Kudos1 Stats

I had 8 SDSDef files on my main system. The old ones only had a few files so I turned off Norton Tamper Protection and was able to delete all the old ones. Ran a quick scan and all is well. Will have to see what happens when I get an update.

Update: Cleaned up 2nd system with 1 to go.

These are all running Windows 10 1607 Build 14393.51 NSBU 22.7.0.76

Jim

Kudos0

Mr. Mehul Patel has a Win 10, we should hear from him. I'll, give it a try with my Win 7. Merci, Gracias, Thank you for the information.

J

Still no forum WYSIWYG

Kudos0

Delete by unchecking Norton Tamper Protection

Hello Mr. PhoneMan

I clicked both you and Imacri a Kudos. He answered my question that only one file is listed and you demonstrated the difference between the fraternal twins -- Norton Auto-Protect and Norton Tamper Protection.

It worked.-- I had tried Auto protect OFF, I was trying to troubleshoot evil dot 75 version that was trashing my system, for some time, and came to useful and not so useful fixes, before Mr. Mehul Patel did a new install of dot 76 on systems he administers and opened this topic after that attempt failed for him too. It was a sleep deprived couple weeks. I feel very confident that deleting by unchecking Norton Tamper Protection is OK. All but the single active folder are cleaned away on reboot anyway.

THERE's the RUB with shut down and start up. It took me over a score of re-boots for the NSBU click-ons to open the Norton User Interface, UI, so I could test your advice. It's unpredictable. My current UP Time, secession only took three. There's another unsolved Forum Topic opened about the disappearing UI click-on.

Oh. Had I learned about un-checking Norton Tamper Protection May, June, September, October, 2014 and June, July, 2015 until my health was taxed and I spent over a week in a hospital bed and weeks getting back to normal and catching up with living.

Your choice of titles, Master, Professor, Doctor (PhD) or ... (he who may not be named)

BTW- have you done phone support or sales for some product or service? Thus your forum ID.

J

located at Norton User Interface --> Setting --> Quick Control list or in Administrative setting selection on the Settings Page. This protocol only solves the work-around most gracefully, not the underlying LiveUpdate bug.

The WYSYWIG came back for a visit in edit using FireFox, Only error messages for some time trying to LOG IN using IE 11., some server issue.

Kudos0

Kudos0

After deleting all the old SDSdef folders yesterday I got a new  SDS one today. I checked the SDS folder and the one from yesterday was there but it only had a few files. After a reboot it was gone. Maybe the old ones were messing up the delete function as it looks to be working now. I will continue to monitor every day.

I was a real Phone Man for 40 years. Worked for ATT and it's sub companies in Long Distance Switching centers, PBX and Data supervisor for a while, Computer System Technician and then worked for Verizon Wireless in a Switching Center. Retired in 2006.   

Jim

Kudos0

bjm_:

FWIW ~ Aug 11 > http://s9.postimg.org/q4lcmkopb/screenshot.png

Hi bjm_:

Sorry, but this is the fourth day in a row you've posted a screenshot of the contents of your \SDSDefs folder without any context and I don't understand what information you're trying to convey.  Are you saying that your older subfolders are being automatically deleted and that your don't see the same problem reported by other users in this thread?
-----------

Kudos0

FWIW ~ my observe.....

Kudos0

Hello Jim PhoneMan. LiveUpdate (LU) behavior was tweaked to remove old SDSDefs folders remaining after each updated. Some sort of do-on-next-boot MANIFEST. The DEAD folders before the tweak or manually restored to the parent folder of SDSDefs since: Are not put in that MANIFEST. That empirical finding that the function exists comes from the summary presented after an interactive LU and the More Options button or double click on a highlighted LU History entry. This information is presented "Reboot Required -- No or Yes". Those DEAD folder go away on re-install, time consuming by-the-book, or manually by turning off Norton Tamper Protection --the easiest SOLUTION found in this topic. J WYSIWYG is AWOL/MIA

The link to the MIA click-ons -- https://community.norton.com/en/forums/cannot-open-norton-360-using-nort...

Kudos0

My SDS Def looks to be working OK now as it cleans most of the files from the previous DEF and then removes it on the next restart.

I noticed the IPS Def leaves the one old Def and does not clear any files so I always have 2 Def folders. This is what I get when I check the usage.dat file.

Jim

Kudos0

Hello Jim PhoneMan

My IPSDefs folder always has two.

• The two change after a LU run, new one added, oldest goes bye-bye.
  •  Before and after a re-boot they stay the same, the usage.dat file stays synchronized.
  • My first post in the topic mentions that there are two. Again in my later post discussing the usage.dat file.

(my screen just flashed, blanked, refreshed and WYSIWYG dropped in for a visit, looks nice now)

J

Short on rest, my time is being sucked up by MS Window Tuesday IE 11 Security update fails half way over and over. I did a restore to before the attempts so it wouldn't fail again trying to resume, Then it got two-thirds and failed. -- Norton gets bruised on ANY restore.

(this is a footnote a caution tip about using Windows Restore for getting rid of a newly installed program.)

• Windows restore triggers Norton's AutoFix feature
  • AutoFix sets a Manifest telling LU to get all the Definitions,
  • Patches since dirt,
  • the shotgun method.

I compared the Definition folder contents to an archived version,  they matched.

Using safe mode, then delete the bad program, then registry clean after keeps AutoFix's shotgun locked in the gun rack.) 

Kudos0

Post Beta Corp One dot 32 Draftee Fbgnarm here,

Reporting:

• Just finished an interactive LU
  • There were three product patches
  • There was an SDSDefs update and only the updated file is there NO stale ones left behind
  • Product folder had 1222 items and was 599 MB
  • Re-boot was not required

J

Kudos0

Some of you have mentioned that Norton TAmper Protection is to be temporarily disabled to delete the folders. But I am not able to delete the folders even after Norton TAmper Protection temporarily disabled and even disabling Firewall and Auto protect even after restarting.

Kudos0

Hello Mehul Patel,

Un-check Norton Tamper Protections.

At the warning dialog window select PERMANENTLY, the other DURATION selections STILL INTERFERE.

Delete the Zombie folder, then re-check the Norton Tamper Protection.

;

Can't delete Zombies, escalate to the next protocol.

Leave Norton Tamper Protection UN-Checked;

Re-boot to Safe Mode and add a letter to the Norton Product Folder.

RE-boot. Navigate to that re-named folder and sub-folder delete those obsolete folders.

2nd to last. CHANGE the name of the Norton Product folder back to its original NAME.

Next to last. Re-boot.

LAST check the box for Norton Tamper Protection.

Re-Naming and back again steps aren't necessary for my Windows 7, I don't know about Windows 10,

J

The Product folder Re-naming was a trouble-shooting step to get a Multi-Factor-Authentication registration of the browser for a Financial site.

It's a Trouble-shooting step easier than Un-Installing and Re-installing any Product/Application Software that installs and runs on the System side.

It's also useful for keeping an older version available for substitution, Roll-Back, from an updated Product that causes some problem.

Kudos0

Is anyone from Symantec looking into this?  Outdated subfolders are continuing to accumulate and the update to NIS v22.7.1.32 on 19-Aug-2016 had no effect.

The attached .PDF shows images of all the 2016xxxx.xxx subfolders that currently appear in my C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs folder as of this morning (31-Aug-2016).  I installed NIS v22.7.0 on 30-Jun-2016 and these older subfolders date back to 20060630.020 (last modified date 02-Jul-2016).   Older subfolders each contain a single 3 KB file named vscanmsx.dat.

The currents contents of the usage.dat file in my SDSDefs folder are:
     [20160830.009]
     APScanShim3=1
     SRTSP=1
     AVDEFMGR=1

The currents contents of the definfo.dat file in my SDSDefs folder are:
     [DefDates]
     CurDefs=20160830.009

And no, I haven't tried Phoneman's workaround to disable Norton Product Tamper Protection and manually delete my older folders.  It's good to know there's a possible workaround but I'd prefer to see Symantec fix the issue from their end.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Hello Imacri, Review THIS Re: SDSDefs problem with Norton Security Posted: 10-Aug-2016 | 8:54AM • Edited: 10-Aug-2016 | 8:57AM The attached files show they stopped accumulating AFTER August 17, 2016. Norton Support will give you the shotgun simple, time consuming & Network-costing UN-install-Re-install as a solution. Norton stopped the accumulation bug. Pre-bug fix accumulation is left to the user by R&R or manual deletion BE sure to select PERMANENTLY turning of TAMPER PROTECTION then turn it back on afterward, Don't worry the program will nag you to turn it on. Got3n didn't notice the accumulation until it swelled Norton to FIVE Gigabytes. https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-gets-lot-space#comment-713...
Kudos0

Don't hold your breath waiting for Norton to remove the older SDS def folders.

It is a lot easier to turn off Tamper Protection and remove the old def folders. After that Norton will keep it clean and you can move on. 

The time you wasted posting here you could have used to remove those def and be done.

Jim  

Kudos0

PhoneMan:

The time you wasted posting here you could have used to remove those def and be done.

Hi PhoneMan:

I was thinking of other affected users.  I don't think most users browse to their C:\Program Files\<Norton program name>\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs folder on a regular basis to see if Norton's housekeeping routines are cleaning out old definition sets.  I certainly wouldn't have checked if I hadn't seen Mehul Patel's original post.

It's a moot point now if Symantec actually tweaked something around 18-Aug-2016 so that SDS definitions sets created after that date are now being purged correctly.  It would have been nice if a Symantec employee had provided feedback letting us know they were aware of the issue.
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.2 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Ring-Ring PhoneMan Jim,

Greetings lmacri,

Imacri -I was thinking of other affected users.

Nobel goal Imacri. New comments used to put this topic on the "Norton Security" most recent 3 posts, at https://community.norton.com/en

That is no longer in the LABEL for this topic, so it doesn't show there anymore.

SDFDefs is part of several Norton products

The Numeric part of the Folder name "C:\Program Files\<Norton program name>\NortonData\22.7.0.76\Definitions\SDSDefs" is from a product new or fresh install. A new purchase install or clean reinstall today August 31, 2016 would be 22.7.1.32, In fact: the folder tree was Changed for 22.7.0.76 version fresh or new install.

Those who got updated through LU seem to keep the old folder tree with the BIRTH #'s. and old structure.

J

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.