• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos19 Stats

Identity Safe limited compatibility with Firefox - current status

January 25 2017 Update: 

Latest Norton Identity Safe 2.0.65 Add-on Update is now compatible with Firefox browser

July 7 2016 Update:

Work on the extension continues, still on track. See Tony's reply for some additional information. 

April 5 2016 Update:

We are continuing to work on a solution. See Athena's comment for detailed project information and mockups of the functionality.

March 17 2016 Update:

Hi everyone, it’s been a few weeks since the initial status update, and our team has heard your concerns and appreciate your feedback. We’re still on track for the August 2016 release. If things change, we will update this thread with the information. We are watching and working closely with Mozilla’s web extensions development plans – see Mozilla’s update here: Advantages of WebExtensions for Developers. Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

The limited compatibility of Identity Safe with Firefox has been a painful ongoing issue for several months. This isn’t an issue that’s being ignored, but until recently we haven’t been able to communicate much about our plans. The changes that Mozilla made to the Firefox browser and extensions forced us to evaluate our toolbar. Coupled with the upcoming changes in Windows, it became clear that we needed to perform some major rethinking on how our toolbar interacts with browsers. We now have a solid long-term plan to create a Norton Toolbar that will operate on IE, Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.  Building something that works on all 4 major browsers takes some time, but ultimately will help with the ever-changing browser extension limitations, and make it easier for customers to access their vault information.

That’s the tough decision we had to make – committing to building a better Norton Toolbar for the long-term, as opposed to a quick fix in the short-term. This doesn’t help you today, and I’m sorry. We’re looking to have compatibility available around August 2016, though it’s important to know that this is a general timeframe that may shift. We will share details as we get closer to a completed product. In the meantime, we hope you’ll stick around.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identity Safe limited compatibility with Firefox - current status

I am running it successfully on my desktop VISTA 64 bit Home Premium system and am about it install it on a 32 bit laptop with the same system.

Can anyone help me with information on how to set the period and parameters that the password can be set for?

Kudos0

Hi dforresr, At least 1 number, at least 1 capital and 1 lower case letter, at least 1 symbol, at least 8 characters and not your account username. - taken from https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v80684246_End....

Kudos0

Paul, I guess I was not clear in my query.  I have no problem setting a password but with the previous version of Identity Safe I could set length of time for the session started with the password application together with other parameters.  This feature does not now appears to be present and the password must be re-entered at regular intervals and certainly on restarting Firefox.

Kudos0

On the toolbar, click on the 3 dots and choose Identity Safe Settings/Security.  Or with Identity Safe open, click on the "sprocket" at the bottom of the page, then "Security". 

Kudos0

Regarding Tony Weiss's response above - I appreciate the difficulty in building software to work on 4 different browsers. I understand that the new beta setup for Firefox had to be set up the way it is for now. What I found a little confusing was that if I open the new version of Identity Safe in Firefox, I must also open it again, on the Norton toolbar, when using IE. Also, as others have queried, are we (Symantec's longtime loyal customers) going to see some sort of compensation for going without Identity Safe on Firefox for so long?  

Kudos0

I'm running Firefox 48.0.2 on Win 10 Anniversary 64 bit. I've installed Norton Identity Safe 1.0.220. Nothing, it appears dead in the water. Rebooted etc still seems dead. So far this is absolutely useless.

I'm not going to reset FF, I've little faith in this succeeding and little faith in a company that releases software that doesn't work and or may need this!

I'm unable to enter a review as it will not accept the log in it appears to be asking for. Even if I'm making a mistake somewhere this process is a fiasco, I'm an experienced computer user

I wonder whether the process has been sabotaged by Norton to reduce the number of bad reviews and complaints.

Kudos0

This is in reply to Paul862's post:

On the toolbar, click on the 3 dots and choose Identity Safe Settings/Security.  Or with Identity Safe open, click on the "sprocket" at the bottom of the page, then "Security". 

Now this is where the confusion is.

Bringing up the options in the way you detais, after entering the password, allows me the options:

* Ask for my password at the beginning of each login session

* Ask for my password before filling a login form

* Close Vault after ............ minutes of activity

* Close vault upon sleep

Opening the vault with the new toolbar, after again entering my password, only has the options:

* Always require Vault password before autofilling a login form

* Autosave logins

* Autofill logins

The optics entered from the first toolbar login, as described above, do not appear to be active for the use of the new vault add-on (second login described above).

Kudos0

Re my post above, in case it isn't clear, apart from being recorded as there in FF, it otherwise does not show or do anything nor show any way to start it enter password etc, a total blank
Kudos0

Wizard_1:
We do digress, "essential liberty" hmm, therein lies the question on whose interpretation of liberty you have and what era I would suggest we are in! Safety would be my first choice, being in a first world country. I firmly believe a civilised country like USA, UK etc., need the ability to access information for our security. These liberal countries must have stronger laws to defend against those countries without a shred of "liberty".

First they came for the Privacy Advocates,

and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a Privacy Advocate.

Then they came for the ..................

Kudos0

Judging by the comments being made about the Firefox Toolbar optional add-in, think it might be best to await working version, apparently to come in version 22.8 towards the end of the year all at least until Norton sort a full tried & tested version. Hope they don't push out a version prior to that.

Kudos1 Stats

Yes, @mgirons, I believe it's on its way now, via Unicorn Express...

Kudos0

On the current Win 10 and Firefox, the optional add-on simply does not work, I cannot make it work or indeed find anyway to make it show any sign of life. I've been using windows and Norton products for some 30 years. Someone in Norton tell me how to make it do anything or withdraw it.
Kudos0

It now appears to have stopped working completely, Now when I try and logon, I repeatedly get the message "Sorry, something went wrong.  Please try again".

Kudos0

I agree with most said here. I at first was reluctant to use the cloud, but later realized the benefits. Benefits were quickly learned when for the past year of trying to be happy with windows 10 and it's failures, I had to reinstall or revert back to Windows 7 dozens of times. The ease of re downloading Norton and then logging in to my vault simplified things greatly. Windows 10 corrupted my computer and would no longer install Windows 7 8 or 10 only ISO version of 8.1. Explain that.

The bottom line is I paid for security for my computer I got it.

I paid for the use of a cloud-based vault I got it.

I paid for a compatible login process through Firefox I got it and the only real inconvenience was I had a few more steps to get there.

I am running 8.1 and having no problems with the new process.

It captures and auto logs.

I've never heard so much whining seriously.

The communication has been terrible for the past year. Even with nothing to report there should have been more informative chat.

This forum has gotten way off track.

There should be limited section for ranting and non productive hollering.

Kudos0

@dbl1234 that's fine, you can trust the cloud. But don't go acting like it is safe and we should just automatically trust it! How we got off track by saying we don't trust the cloud is far from off track, it is what they are trying to do by making us use it when we do not want too. Let them put an option it where you can use the cloud and us others don't need too. 

I'm still waiting for them to come out with a final release that FF can use but without the cloud being used. So we have gone from 1 problem with software I paid to use and now can't for 2 reasons. 

Kudos0

Responses from Norton are a bit non existent
Kudos0

Hi dbl1234 Current Windows is !0 Anniversary, current FF 40.0.2. I had no problems changing up from Win 7 & and 8.1. I had no problems then with the Vault. Norton's total failure on Firefox and for me still total failure for Win 10 Anniversary is no joke; calling it whining is an insult and letting Norton off a very large hook.
Kudos0

The new update worked fine on one of my computers.  But on my desktop running most current version of Firefox, I get the sign into Vault and when I click on it , it just goes away and the sign in window never appears.  I have tried the refresh, uninstalled FF and reinstalled but same thing.  Operating system is Windows 10 (but not 1607 )  .  Any ideas??

Kudos0

I wonder, does the non running vault have something to do with my having the vault on Chrome and IE11 and having had the non vault identity safe (currently removed) on Firefox?
Kudos0

We are fed up with waiting it is now September 2. They need to get there finger out. After all they get enough money from us.

Kudos0

No August 99th

Kudos0

Yesterday I posted that the vault was working, and things were looking up.  Well overnight, I had my laptop closed and when I opened it and tried checking my email, I got a message from Identity Safe that my vault was locked and I need to login.  Okay, easy enough, well now I click on the sign in button and nothing happens.  I tried logging indirectly using the icon in the toolbar.  Same thing.  Everything in Chrome is working fine as before, it just seems to be a Mozilla/Norton.

Just now I get an error message telling me that "something went wrong".  Wonderful.

Ron

Kudos0

Hello David Elliot

Did you see the Announcement about the Pre-released extension for Firefox? Have a look at the Announcements on top of this Forum. It's been there since Aug.31.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I meant no personal insult. I just haven't seen where complaining  has not helped get a nice working bit of software for anyone. Reading the comments just furthers the aggravation with all of it. I guess I hesitate jumping ship for another sinking ship.

By the way I have uninstalled the new extension because of total failure today.

The extension shouldn't ask me to log in to the vault once I open it and it is too sensitive when it jumps into a user request and a password request with a logo.

Must say it lasted almost 24 hrs.

I shall wait for another new extension about 25 days though. Almost all in some way or another, including myself, have begged for this problem to go away.

I do prefer a Norton solution versus a Mozilla one. When Mozilla says jump Norton will have to ask how high until they solve it themselves.

Kudos0

So what the deal with the temporary extension for Firefox. Worked fine yesterday and today when you click sign on nothing?? Its time for Symantec to pay up to all of us who had a less than advertised feature not working for the entire year of their subscription. Cut your holiday weekend short programmers and get it fixed.

Kudos0

FYI, it's still working fine for me today on 4 different computers: 2 laptops, a tablet and a desktop.  All Win10/64 1607,FF 48.0.2, Norton 360.  I do not have Chrome installed on any of the machines, don't know if that is the difference or not.

Kudos0

I was going to post that the App on my Windows 10 1607 with FF 48.0.2 was logging in to sites and populating passwords fine, then today having opened Identity Safe and going to sites it no longer self fills. I thought I would try the app for IOS here in UK but that will not even let me open the vault (Norton Identity Safe 4.4 for iOS). Norton - you are so disappointing.

Kudos0

Someotherdude guess you are lucky because there are far more saying its not working. FYI !! Keeps saying something went wrong and even went as far as uninstalling extension and the re-installing same results. I have Norton Security not 360. The Firefox add on is not functioning but Identity Safe still works on Chrome as it always has but I do not like that browser and it should be the browser I choose to use not Symantec's telling what to use.

Kudos0

Worked for ONE 1 Day now even after all their thread 1 and 2 still does not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos0

Kent

What I found a little confusing was that if I open the new version of Identity Safe in Firefox, I must also open it again, on the Norton toolbar, when using IE.

This is not based on any inside information or personal experience but I think this is related to it being User Dependent -- ie if you have two users on their own accounts on one computer then setting it up for one does not necessarily set it up for all users -- which is what I have seen one user report and is something I see with certain utilities when I install them.

Personally I would want it that way since for one thing my two users have different log ins and passwords for superficially the same website eg at BoA and I have many more than she does.

Whether it is inherent in "browser independent" I don't know but would be inclined to think so although I could envisage a user setting allowing them to nominate one or more browsers to receive it -- this seems to be common in my so far limited experience with Windows 10AU.

Just a thought and certainly not a statement about what Norton is actually doing or planning to do.

Hugh
Kudos0

NR

still total failure for Win 10 Anniversary  

Just a long shot but could you make sure that you got the Windows 10AU Update released on August 31 -- it's a cumulative update replacement for a previous cumulative update that had an adverse effect on some installations. 

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello

Since the extension seems to be working for some of you today, it is possible that it is a server issue. This is just my opinion and I may be completely wrong.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I don't understand what all the complaints are about.

We wanted a secure vault for our passwords in FireFox.

And we got it. In fact, the vault is so secure, even most users can't open it.

A Symantec Supaman Secure Vault.

IMHO it was worth the wait to get such a high level of security.

Be Thankful.

This is some fud-upped sheets being given to some fed up customers.

Do the Symantec Executives responsible for allocating resources to Norton Tech/Development do stand up comedy during their off-hours also ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzeJLIr2qp4

Kudos0

There is probably something to that opinion. For my 2 cents, the installation on my primary computer went well and worked immediately. Likewise, my wife's computer. My web development workstation and my Insider Preview 'mule' with the Win 10 14915, not so much. However, at this late hour, (11pm local), all seems to be well. I wondered at the time about Symantec servers keeping up with demand for account access, etc.

Thanks again. User name and password seems to fill in quicker than the previous version, for what it's worth.

Regards,
DD

Kudos0

ddunk1946:

...I wondered at the time about Symantec servers keeping up with demand for account access, etc....

Time will tell. I have plenty of time -- I still have almost two months left on my subscription.

Kudos0

Hello floplot

"Since the extension seems to be working for some of you today, it is possible that it is a server issue. This is just my opinion and I may be completely wrong.

Thanks."

Just for the record, I removed the non working extension and redownloaded it today, it still does nothing on my win 10 pc with latest versions and updates. The pc and everything else on it functions perfectly.

Kudos0

I've got 'til next April. So far, so good on all my systems this morning.

Kudos0

Roger, what other extensions/add-ons do you have in FF?

Kudos0

So I did nothing and checked today and everything appears to be working on the desktop computer, that did not work at all yesterday. 

Kudos0

To someotherdude Re: Identity Safe limited compatibility with Firefox - current status Posted: 03-Sep-2016 | 8:56AM • Edited: 03-Sep-2016 | 8:57AM • Permalink Roger, what other extensions/add-ons do you have in FF?

Hi, Extensions

AddBlock Plus, AddBlock Plus Popup Add-on, NoScript, Norton Identity Safe(no vault), Norton Identity Safe prerelease,

Add-ons

OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. Adobe Primetime HTML5 Content Decryption Module, Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc, Wacom Dynamic Link Library, Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 15.17.20050, Google Earth Plugin, Google Update, Microsoft Office 2010 Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers, Microsoft Office 2010

Kudos0

Well, it's been a few days since you said this ....

Posted: 31-Aug-2016 | 5:00PM 
Hey folks. I know everyone's excited for Identity Safe for Firefox. We're extremely close to having something available for you. The engineers are performing final testing, and we were hoping to have it available yesterday or today. It looks like things will be delayed a day or two, and I apologize for that. I know I said "end of August", and I'm sorry that we will need to delay things for just a few more days. Thanks for your continued patience.

As of Saturday 9/3, are we looking at a major delay or a minor delay?  Can you give me a wild guess about WHEN we are going to get the new Identity Safe/Norton Toolbar software update that will be 100% compatible with Firefox?  Do you know?  Could you or another Symantec employee call or email the software developers in order to get an estimate?

Kudos0

"It's tough to make predictions especially about the future."

Kudos0

Hello NewRogerror

Please disable your Adblock Plus while you are attempting to open your vault. After you are in your vault, you can enable it again if you want to. You may have to disable it every time for now at least until they can get it to work with that.

Please come back and let us know if that helped. Also, you must be using FF48 or higher for it to work. If you are using a older version, then please update your FF to 48.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hello Someduud

When Tony made that post, he was thinking that it might take longer for this Pre-Released Extension which did come out on Aug.31. This new version came out quicker than he thought it would.

Thanks.

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello NewRogerror

Please disable your Adblock Plus while you are attempting to open your vault. After you are in your vault, you can enable it again if you want to. You may have to disable it every time for now at least until they can get it to work with that.

Please come back and let us know if that helped. Also, you must be using FF48 or higher for it to work. If you are using a older version, then please update your FF to 48.

Thanks.

I have confirmed on my system that you have to disable Adblock Plus each time you sign out of your Windows account. Whether by signing out, or restarting the computer. Once you have logged into your ID Safe, you can again enable Adblock Plus. I'm going to see if I can find what ABP is blocking so we can try to allow it.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Adblock Plus is running on my VISTA 64 bit system and is not effecting my logging in to ID Safe.

Kudos0

Hello Peterweb

I was trying to help Roger with his new extension. He has not been able to do anything with it and saw your comment in another location about Adblock Plus and this new extension and how you were able to get into yours after disabling that program.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I'm running AdBlock Plus as well with no issues.  I'd try uninstalling NoScript and see what happens.  Also, I'm logged in locally, not via my MS account.  Don't see how that would make a difference though.

Kudos0

Hello

One of the other Gurus had the issue that he couldn't get into his ID Safe. He disabled his Adblock Plus, then he got in.. He enabled it again once he got into the safe and it seemed to  work ok then. It worked with his computer. It isn't a tested out solution by Symantec. I figured I would see if the same thing happened with others. He also found it mattered which account he used.

I  was just trying to see if Roger disabled his, if it would work for him also.  Please see

Permalink  I figured it was a shot to try it. I'm just another user like you are. I don't use the ID Safe or FF. I was just trying to help.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks for all advice here. Using Win 10 Anniversary and FF 48.0.2.

I disabled "No Script" and the Vault worked, re-enabling No Script re-killed the Vault. Disabling AdBlock Plus &/or AB+ popup had no benefit.

Obviously I dislike not running No Script.

The log-ins to the vault are tedious.

I do not like the on line Vault at all

As it stands I won't continue using this Vault addon, I'll use Chrome or IE11 when using the vault while it works on them.

It will be interesting to see if Norton can get something acceptable going before my subscription needs renewing.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.