• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

Norton Security causing high CPU Usage

Norton Security appears to be causing an unusual loading on the Computer's CPU and, by extension, the CPU fan sub-system.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security causing high CPU Usage

Come on now pwwol. One more chance and you'll be glad you did. 

Kudos0

After recent update I have also experienced the high CPU usage issue.  Specific case is with usenet (nntp) downloads.  Disabling the SONAR fixes this issue.

Kudos1 Stats

I am tired of Norton not caring about the customers they keep them in business I have been a customer since 2000 that is 16 years. I'm tired of Norton taking control of my system and not allowing me to do my work I schedule when it's supposed to back up and do its maintenance and it seems to do it whenever the f<""k it wants to. You have lost another customer to kapersky because they value their customers and they're just as good at protecting my computer as you are. You're all about the Mighty Dollar well you just lost mine. I know you don't care big corporations never care about their customers or even their employees
Kudos0

Oh my, it does appear that Sam is in a blue rage. You'll be back guaranteed!!! 

Kudos0

Sam

I'm tired of Norton taking control of my system and not allowing me to do my work I schedule when it's supposed to back up and do its maintenance and it seems to do it whenever the f<""k it wants to.

Did you know that Norton does not have a scheduler but puts the information into Microsoft's Windows Scheduler so if you don't get what you want when you want it it's more likely to be Nanny Microsoft than Norton?

Why do use Norton's backup when there are better free utilities available that will do what you want when you want?

And as for >Maintenance", why not turn it off? Oh you like Norton's defrag better than Microsoft's?  Oh Dear -- again they use the Windows function ....

And defragging on modern systems is of little value except maybe on XP and very small old hard drives ....

Modern drive technology and drives with enormous caches, like 32GB, don't benefit from file placement near the beginning of the disk since what you need frequently is going to be accessed from the cache not the disk and putting file fragments together does not help really since the NTFS file system breaks files down and puts them where it wants them!

In case you are wondering about the reliability of this information about defragmentation it comes from a contact of mine who during his career designed hard drives for most of the major drive manufacturers.

And of course if you are using SSDs or eMMC drives then defragging is bad for them and disabled by Windows and by Norton and in the drive controller which does its own housekeeping.

That's why I concentrate of the Norton features for which we both bought them years ago -- in my case some 10 years before you -- which are security from malware and outside attacks.

What makes you think Kaspersky is not a big corporation .... and you do know where it is based, don't you?

Hugh
Kudos0

Having the same problem on my son'd Dell XPS laptop. We've tried uninstalling and reinstalling NIS but CPU goes high immediately the product is reinstalled.

Any help appreciated before he returns to Uni as it's seriously hampering his ability to develop his final year project. We'll probably just end up uninstalling and using an alternative.

Kudos0

Does it happen when visiting sites and is he using Chrome? If yes then just disable Norton toolbar for Chrome. I have been Norton for more than 15 years but I wouldn't recommend this buggy software to anyone. It's taking them ages to fix their own code. 

Kudos0

I'm aware that most of Norton's features are a shell for Windows. I just let Norton manage it as I have for years, most of the time I have no problem but as of late has become a big problem. I use Norton backup because it backs up both my Android phone and my computer. I also use alternatives for a backup to the backup. I only have a regular 5400 RPM hard drive yes I know completely slow and outdated but that's what I can afford 5 years ago and it still what I'm running now. I aware that kapersky is made in Russia. I know several people that have used kapersky and I dealt with their customer service and it is far better than Norton's. Besides Russia and China are in just about everybody's computer ;(. let not forget our own agency here in the US that monitors every bit that goes across the internet, and in our computer and phones. I was unaware defragging was pointless Windows 10 operating system with a 500 gig hard drive, thank you for that information. I have stayed with Norton because they are the best in my opinion at security. I guess I should just use it for that and stop being lazy, but then agian thats what I pay norton for.

Kudos0

Hi Sam

Thanks for your informative reply. I can appreciate all that you say and it does need looking at since you are not alone. The main point I wanted to make is what appears to be clearly a Norton fault may not be because of the way things interact.

You may have been here when the upgrade from N360 V2 to V3 caused Windows to crash for certain users; if you removed Norton everything was OK; reinstall it and the system crashed for those users (but not for everyone).

It seemed clear-cut until one of the users with the problem found out that the PowerDesk file manager he used had had an update to fix this crash, which was known to them, but had not announced the fix to its users. He applied it and there was no longer a problem.

It generalized to "if you had all three items installed you crashed -- any two out of three was OK and it did not matter which of the two utilities you did not have."

And the basic cause: Microsoft had announced to partners like Norton and PowerDesk that they were going that they were going to make a change in one part of Windows and that partners needed to make a change to add compatibility.

Norton did so but PowerDesk did not and Microsoft delayed the change so everything was still OK until Microsoft updated as it said it would and then the 2 out of 3 caused the crash.

I lived through that in here which is why I'm sensitive to the possibility that there's always the possibility that something like that is happening again. That does not mean that Norton does not pin it down.

I was unaware defragging was pointless Windows 10 operating system with a 500 gig hard drive

It's not restricted to Windows 10 .... and I would not say "pointless" but rather "not really that beneficial" because of the way the hardware has changed.

I have stayed with Norton because they are the best in my opinion at security.

I agree .... and not because of the hat I wear <g> I don't need Identity Safe or the Norton Toolbar so I don't enable them and I don't see the problems especially with FF that others see although I do use it on certain websites where IE gives me problems. And I disable Computer Maintenance features in Norton.

Hugh
Kudos1 Stats

I use Norton backup because it backs up both my Android phone and my computer.

FYI

The Android product only backs up your contacts.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I had the high CPU usage the last couple days. I'm not sure the exact thing that fixed it for me since I did two things at once, but, I have multiple drives that are encrypted with BitLocker and they were locked, so I unlocked them thinking Norton was stuck in a loop trying to get into them. Also, I did a custom full scan of my C: drive at the same time. No more CPU usage any more. 

Kudos0

Also, I did a custom full scan of my C: drive at the same time. No more CPU usage any more. 

I've always had a suspicion that this could well be the cause. Putting my system in Silent Mode seemed to improve things since that stops it from using what it thinks is my idle to do something! 

Hugh
Kudos0

Running the Norton Uninstall and Reinstall tool (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/NRnR.exe) appears to have fixed the problem on my Windows 10 (with anniversary update) machine.  I did, however, have to reinstall a finger-print device driver afterwards.

Kudos0

I can confirm that if you have drives locked with BitLocker, it will cause Norton to spike in CPU until you unlock the drives. 

Kudos0

So what's the latest here??? It's nearly Oct and I'm still having this issue. 

Kudos0

Looks like they are having hard times fixing their own code. I have been using Norton Internet security since 2002 and am just tired of Norton right now. Might switch to another security suite after this subscription will expire

Kudos0

NIS was using almost all of the CPU on my machine, even with BitLocker turned off.

Symantec's support team recommended running the Norton Uninstall and Reinstall tool.  Having done that yesterday, I am delighted to say that NIS is still behaving nicely on my machine today!

In terms of using something other than NIS, I wonder whether it might be a case of "better the devil you know".

Kudos0

I am sorry to say that NIS is misbehaving again!

Kudos0

I have this problem when I open my email app (eM Client).  The CPU usage rises to 98-99% very quickly and stays there for as long as one minute.  But it doesn't happen every time I open eM Client.  I have no idea what causes it.  It seems to be random.

NS 22.8.x, Win10 Anniv. Update, Chrome, Firefox, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (FREE)
Kudos0

Absolutely, KBPrez!  I experience exactly the same behaviour, using eM Client (version 7.0.26687.0).  At first I wondered whether it was a problem related to the interaction between NIS and eM Client.  When I wrote to eM Client's support team, they suggested that the problem rests with NIS.  Who knows?  Maybe, we need to identify whether a similar problem occurs when eM Client is not involved.  Do we, for example, have a similar problem with Internet Explorer?  Does the problem arise when any application is accessing the internet?  Let's keep an eye on this, and see what we can find.

Kudos0

Mark my mate,

I'm glad I'm not the only one here using eM Client.  

NS 22.8.x, Win10 Anniv. Update, Chrome, Firefox, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (FREE)
Kudos0

Good on you, KB.  Apart from this issue with NIS, for which we have yet to establish the cause, eM Client serves me really well.  Let's hope that we can find the cause of this issue, and get Symantec to start working on a solution, if we can show that NIS is at fault.

Kudos2 Stats

Mark my mate:

Absolutely, KBPrez!  I experience exactly the same behaviour, using eM Client (version 7.0.26687.0).  At first I wondered whether it was a problem related to the interaction between NIS and eM Client.  When I wrote to eM Client's support team, they suggested that the problem rests with NIS.

Hi Mark my mate / KBPrez:

Does the problem with eM Client still occur if Norton's AntiSpam protection (Settings | AntiSpam | Filter | Norton AntiSpam) is disabled?

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos1 Stats

Thank you, Imacri, for your suggestion.  I can't reliably make NIS misbehave, and can't, therefore, check the effect of switching off Norton AntiSpam.  Nonetheless, following your suggestion, I have switched off Norton AntiSpam.  I'll keep an eye on NIS's behaviour over the next few days, and will send an update after that, unless NIS misbehaves sooner.  Thanks for now.  Let's see what happens!

Kudos0

Imacri, thanks for the tip!  I use eM Client to check for spam and it does very well.  I just turned Antispam OFF in NS.  I'll monitor it and let you know what happens.  My fingers are crossed.    Thanks again!

Kudos0

LIST ME AS ALL CAPS ANGRY TOO - HIGH CPU PROBLEM NORTON CANNOT FIX.  I JUST JOINED THE FORUM SO AM LISTED AS NEWBIE.  BUT I HAVE USED NORTON SINCE IT CAME ON FLOPPY DISKS.  I USED IT SO LONG BECAUSE OF GREAT SERVICE.  BUT NO MORE.  I GAVE NORTON CONTROL OF ONE OF MY COMPUTERS A FEW WEEKS AGO AND THEY MADE IT UNBOOTABLE: BSoD.  I HAD TO ROLL BACK FOR THEM: FORTUNATELY, I USE ACRONIS.  NOW ANOTHER COMPUTER IS SCREWED UP BY HIGH CPU.  HOTELS, RENTAL CARS, AIRLINES, ARE ALL THE SAME, I CHOOSE ON SERVICE.  NORTON DOES NOT HAVE SERVICE ANYMORE.  I HAVE 440 DAYS LEFT ON MY SUBSCRIPTION BUT AM GOING ELSEWHERE.    

RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE FOR NORTON ALTERNATIVES.... 

Kudos0

JulianNott:  RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE FOR NORTON ALTERNATIVES.... 

trial alternate(s) before you decide and use Norton Removal Tool before trial
>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp
>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

Kudos0

Julian, I absolutely agree that customer service is getting poorer and poorer in almost every aspect of our lives.  However, perhaps our remarks would be better targeted at a website with a title like Grumpy Old Men.  I'd be an enthusiastic member!

Having switched off Norton AntiSpam last night, I was pleasantly surprised this morning, when I switched on my laptop and opened eM Client.  NIS didn't cripple my machine.  Kudos goes to Imacri for that suggestion!  I'll see what happens over the next couple of days, just to be sure that NIS will continue to behave itself.

If I were looking for an alternative to NIS, I'd be tempted to seek guidance from AV-Test (https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/), which claims that "The AV-TEST Institute is a leading international and independent service provider in the fields of IT security and anti-virus research.".

Kudos0

Imacri and Mark my mate,

Very Happy this morning!  After I turned off Antispam, the CPU problem disappeared.

Imacri, THANK YOU so much for your help!!!

Kudos0

Oh dear!  Just when I thought that NIS was behaving itself, I tried to re-open eM Client, and found NIS back at the top of the rack of CPU consumers and 100% CPU consumption.  See attachments, if you wish.

Nonetheless, I am grateful for your contributions, Imacri and KB.  I wish you better luck than I'm having with NIS.  I might soon have to follow Julian to AV-Test.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Mark my mate,

When I got the email about your last comment, I exited eM Client and then re-opened it.  The problem was back for me too.  I exited eM Client again, waited about a half-hour, and then re-opened it with no CPU problem.

I’ve been a Norton user for many years, but I’ve run out of patience.  More than a year ago, Identity Safe stopped working with Firefox.  I prefer Firefox over Chrome, but switched to Chrome in hopes that the Firefox issue would be fixed within a few months, as Norton said it would at the time.  In the meantime, one of the gurus suggested trying Dashlane to another poster.  I tried it and have been using it for about 6 months.  It’s been working very well and I decided not to go back to Identity Safe even though Norton says the latest update fixed its Firefox problem. 

This new issue with eM Client is the tipping point for me.  Norton's inability to resolve major problems in a timely manner has become a serious issue for me.  I’m going to give Bitdefender a try.  If Bitdefender also has a problem with eM Client, then Norton may be off the hook.  In that case, I’m guessing the issue may be with eM Client (although the latest version was released 2 months ago) and/or Windows 10.  I’ll let you know what happens.

Kudos1 Stats

To anyone still seeing high CPU consumption by the Norton executable (e.g., nis.exe, ns.exe) in their Task Manager outside of system idles (i.e., when they are using their computer):

Symantec started rolling out a product update for v22.8.0.50 via LiveUpdate on 26-Sep-2016 - see Norton 22.8 Product Update available now.  Go to Help | General Information | About and see if you've received the update in the past few days.

I've had recurring errors with my Windows Mail e-mail client as well as high CPU consumption by both nis.exe and firefox.exe outside of system idles since the v22.8.0.50 was delivered to my system on 27-Sep-2016.   I just checked at Settings | Administrative Settings | Background Tasks | Configure and it also looks like both my Quick Scan and Norton Insight tasks have stopped running during system idles since I was updated to v22.8.0.50.

I just ran the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool last week to solve problems caused by a recent LiveUpdate (see my thread Issues After 21-Sep-2016 Product Update) and it looks like the latest v22.8.0.50 update has corrupted my NIS installation AGAIN.

If your high CPU consumption by Norton started after you were updated to v22.8.0.50 and want to try the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, it can be downloaded at www.norton.com/nrnr - be sure to read the Before you Begin section if you have the Xfinity/Comcast version of Norton Security Suite (NSS).  Run a few manual LiveUpdates after your Norton product is reinstalled until no further updates are available to ensure you're fully patched.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Thanks, KB.  I'm sorry that NIS is misbehaving again for you too.  Like you, I've used NIS for a long time.  However, also like you, I am really beginning to like the sound of Bitdefender, especially in view of increasing frustration with Symantec's failure to resolve the issue of NIS's unreasonable usage of resources (such as CPU, these days, and disc I/O before that).

Instead of Norton Identity Safe, I have relied on ThinkVantage's Password Manager for many years.  However, I am increasingly using Last Pass (https://lastpass.com/), as it works cross-platform across devices.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi Mark my mate / KBPrez:

Just another comment if you're certain that your high CPU consumption is associated with eM Client and disabling Norton AntiSpam isn't a permanent solution.  There is a second setting at Settings | Antivirus | Scans and Risks | Email Antivirus Scan that you can temporarily disable while you're troubleshooting.

The support article Email Antivirus Scan states "This feature does not work if your SMTP or POP3 email port is an SSL-encrypted email port. Norton supports all email programs that use non-SSL POP3 and SMTP communication protocols.". My preliminary testing shows that the 0x800CCC0F connection errors in my Windows Mail client stop when I retrieve e-mails from my ISP's mail server if I either disable Norton AntiSpam in my settings or switch the ports in my e-mail account from my ISP's standard TCP ports [Port 25 for SMTP (outgoing) and Port 110 for POP3 (incoming)] to their secure SSL servers [Port 587 for SMTP-S and Port 995 for POP3-S].

The support article Does Norton email scanning protect my encrypted email accounts? claims that you are still protected if you use a secure connection to an email server and receive an email with an infected attachment because Norton's real-time Auto-Protect feature should detect and remove the malware after you open the attachment.  I discovered that a few AV programs like ESET can automatically scan e-mails received over a secure connection for malicious code and infected attachments as soon as the decrypted message touches the user's hard drive [see Does ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus scan SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) traffic?] so I'm disappointed that Norton doesn't have this capability.

What's even more puzzling is that Norton AntiSpam can't be integrated with POP3 clients like Windows Mail and Outlook Express in newer versions of Norton per the support article Configure Client Integration , so I have no idea why AntiSpam would even be blocking my incoming e-mails when I use the standard 25/110 TCP ports.
------------

Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

I have one email account from my ISP and 3 gmail accounts.  I'll have a look at the ports eM Client uses to see if they're the problem.  One thing, the ports did work with NS 22.7.x, but I'll check them against what the support article says.  Thanks again for your help!

Kudos0

KBPrez:

I have one email account from my ISP and 3 gmail accounts.  I'll have a look at the ports eM Client uses to see if they're the problem.

Hi KBPrez:

I've never used eM Client so I don't know if it has the same flexibility as my Windows Mail client - at least if you're using the free version of eM Client.  Here's what the current port settings for my ISP (Shaw) looks like when I view the properties for this e-mail account. I'm currently connecting to Shaw's secure SSL servers (Port 587 for SMTP-S and Port 995 for POP3-S) while I'm troubleshooting.

Per the support article Configure Client Integration, I assume you don't see eM Client listed as a supported program (note:  Norton AntiSpam must be enabled on the Filter tab in order to view the settings on the Client Integration tab).  MS Outlook is one of the few e-mail programs that integrates with Norton AntiSpam these days.

Don't waste too much time with this unless you're certain that your high CPU only occurs when eM Client is running.  I still suspect another refresh of your Norton installation with the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) tool mentioned <here> might solve your problems.
------------

Kudos0

Thanks, Imacri.  Although I very much appreciate your suggestions, I am beginning to feel that fixing issues with NIS is robbing me of time and effort that I would rather direct at productive work.  I have just run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool, and have just fixed my fingerprint reader that was broken by that process ... again.  I shall see what happens over the next day or so.  If NIS fails me again, I shall have a free trial of Bitdefender Total Security Multi-Device 2017 (https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us), to see whether it performs better than NIS does for me.

Kudos0

Dear oh dear!  Even after running the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool again, NIS is still hogging my CPU!  See attachment, if you wish.

Let's see how Bitdefender behaves.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Last night, I uninstalled NIS, and installed Bitdefender Total Security 2017 (with a 30-day free trial offer).  This morning, when I booted my machine, there was lots of activity, which may have been due to various updates.  When that activity settled, I started eM Client, which appeared in a few seconds, without disabling any of Bitdefender's security features (as I had to do with NIS).  That's marvellous.  However, in Symantec's defence, it is fair to say that NIS uses much less RAM than does Bitdefender.  See attachments, if you wish.  For me, that is still a better outcome, because it doesn't cripple my machine, as did NIS's extremely high CPU usage.  I will monitor Bitdefender's impact on my resources over the next day or so, before deciding whether to stick with it, or try another product from, say, Kaspersky or Avira.

Kudos0

Hi, Mark my mate. If you are intent on leaving Norton, I'd recommend you try Kaspersky Internet Security.

I have used Bitdefender and Kaspersky and find Kaspersky less heavy on system than Bitdefender, which slowed browsing considerably. K has a better user forum, although neither are great with official tech support !

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Latest Version
Kudos0

Decided to give Norton one more try ... tried to download the Norton Removal Tool without success.  Went to on-line chat support ... and after fifteen minutes the agent finally admitted the Removal Tool is not working "but will work tomorrow".  I suggested he look for work elsewhere ... while I have gone elsewhere for security.  Just bought Bitdefender.  Tempted to click "solves this Forum Thread" but other people as angry as me might not see the humor.

Furious at MYSELF for wasting eight hours on once great now WORTHLESS NORTON.  Sic Transit.

Kudos1 Stats

JulianNott:

Decided to give Norton one more try ... tried to download the Norton Removal Tool without success.  Went to on-line chat support ... and after fifteen minutes the agent finally admitted the Removal Tool is not working "but will work tomorrow".  I suggested he look for work elsewhere ... while I have gone elsewhere for security.  Just bought Bitdefender.  Tempted to click "solves this Forum Thread" but other people as angry as me might not see the humor.

Furious at MYSELF for wasting eight hours on once great now WORTHLESS NORTON.  Sic Transit.

Hi JulianNott,

The Agent was not wrong. Perhaps he should have told you why, which I just learnt of - quoting from a communication from "Upstairs":

"We might see customers reporting that they are seeing an error message, "The version of Norton Removal Tool that you are using is expired. Please click the following Web link for help" when they try to run NRT & RnR. It impacts only the regions where the current date is 9/30, like Asia.

The workaround is to have the customers temporarily set their system clock to 9/28 or 9/29 when using these tools for now. We are looking into fixing this issue soon."

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos1 Stats

Thank you, F 4 E, for your kind suggestion.  Although I gave up on Kaspersky about 8 years ago, it might be time to revisit it.  Maybe, in another 8 years, Symantec will be on top.  Who knows?  Time will tell!

Like you, Julian, I'd rather spend my time doing something productive than trying to get around NIS's inadequacies.  I agree that it's probably worth keeping this thread alive, so that others may see what we did to resolve issues that Symantec has failed to resolve.  Good luck with Bitdefender!

Kudos0

So they KNEW there was a problem and one programmer at Norton could likely have fixed it in an hour or so.  Meanwhile how many saps like me waste time downloading a version that does not work?  Also I am in California and tried to run it when my clock was set still /29.  DOUBLY glad to have left for Bitdefender.

Kudos0

Julian, although neither of us wants to waste more time with Symantec, you might want to grit your teeth and ask for a refund.  I certainly intend to do so!  I won't let them get away with this failure to provide effective service, without penalty.  Here's their refund policy.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-renewal-purchase/current/solutions/kb20100113164023EN_EndUserProfile_en_us?utm_expid=67953202-12.9DSQG5TjSju0D3Yl3SkCeA.0

Kudos0

Thanks Mark for being a mate.  I'll wait until I have moved all our computers to Bitdefender...

Kudos0

Julian, I have just been notified of my refund.  You might wish to Google "call norton support" to get a phone number.  Have your invoice number ready when they answer.

Kudos0

Thanks, Julian, for your kind message.  Good luck with Bitdefender.  I'm looking forward to getting back to being productive!

Kudos0

Mark my mate and Imacri,

Yesterday I removed then reinstalled NS, but still had the CPU problem.  So last night I installed Bitdefender on a 30-day trial.  It's early yet, but no problems so far with eM Client.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  

Thanks for all your help.  Good Luck with Bitdefender, Mark my mate!  

Kudos0

You're welcome, KB.  Thank you, too.  Remember that you may qualify for a refund from Symantec.  Enjoy using eM Client and Bitdefender!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.