• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

IPS Definitions failing to Install

Updated to V22.8.0.5 and ever since I've had trouble updating the IPS definitions.  All other updates including the SDS definitions are updating fine.  Two days ago the problem resolved itself after running Live Update manually a few more times.  Today this has been going on for hours with just the IPS update failing.

Error 8920,233 which probably means it's a server issue.  Do I just keep trying live update?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: IPS Definitions failing to Install

Yes, just keep running live update.  I have the same problem but the updates eventually resolve.

Win 8.1 x 64_ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz_32GB Ram_NSBU v. 22.11.2.7_Free MBAM/MBAE_FFox v.57.0 (64-bit)_Chrome _Fast Startup is OFF.
Kudos0

My IPS definitions are also failing at times. Works sometimes and fails other times on two different systems. Started with 22.8.0.50.

Jim

Kudos0

Yup ... it looks like the IPS update finally succeeded for now.  I'm not exactly sure if this could be considered a solution as it started as soon as the recent update, but at least it seems like the definitions eventually go through.

Kudos0

Kudos0

It's not just SDS Definitions, as the link above references.  It's also  IPS Definitions that fail to download when LiveUpdate runs. 

Kudos0

PhoneMan: My IPS definitions are also failing at times. Works sometimes and fails other times on two different systems. Started with 22.8.0.50. Jim

Me Too

Kudos0

Yes, my experience as well.  Sometimes they install and sometimes they fail.  So far it's just IPS Definitions for me since hotfix release of 9/27.

Kudos0

After two days of successful LUs, including IPS Defs, earlier this morning NS 22.8.0.50 failed to download the most recent IPS Defs. Attempting to manually download the update also failed -- twice -- indicating that updates were NOT required -- I had the latest Norton protection.

What's the deal with that?

John E. Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 14393.321 on Lenovo ThinkPad E535 & HP Pavilion 6610F
Kudos0

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reporting. This is different from "SDS Definitions failed to complete" issue. I've sent you a private message via the forums requesting logs. Please check it when you get a chance. 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I have to run LiveUpdate three times in order to download and update the Norton IPS Definitions. This has been happening since the latest product update. Once it'll say under 1MB to download next it'll say 3.88MB and then finally it updates.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x
Kudos0

Hi SGFC, I have similar issues.  When it does fail, I re-run LiveUpdate and then it updates but sometimes the file size is larger, like it updates after it has failed.  This started happening after last product update to V28.0.50.  Sunil G A above has requested those with issues send him logs for Norton to review.  I suggest you might want to private message him and he will send you instructions. I received the new product update the date it was released 9/27, so this issue may become more wide-spread as it's rolled out to other users since Norton disseminates in phases but  Norton is aware of it. 

Kudos0

Add me to the list of those having this problem. Happening on two computers.

Kudos0

Same happening here on Desktop & Laptop. Have already started a new thread but will use this one. Thanks Imacri for re-directing me. Why do support not know of this issue. Chat contact got scripted response to any issue of 'Reinstall'. Updated to 22.8 on 27th Sept, noticed issue yesterday, same today, checking back, happening on a daily basis, last proper download on 27th prior to 22.8 version update, looks as previously these were updated weekly. Why is there always issues after Norton does a product update, do they not do any testing or should users have to do this for them - I think not!

Kudos0

My IPS Definitions haven't updated since 9/30/16 at 5:05pm PST.  Can someone tell me if that is last update and how to check to see if I have latest definitions.  This mess with IPS Definitions needs to get resolved by Norton soon.  I think Sunil G A was off for the weekend.  Hope we get some answers next week.  One minute it works then next run it fails, then it doesn't update at all. 

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos0

Thank you bjm for these links.  I have bookmarked them for future reference.  I guess I won't worry since it appears I have latest IPS Def.  

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Tibbies4Life:

Further to bjm_'s post <here>, failed IPS Definition updates should be logged in your Norton security history.

Right-click the Norton icon in your system tray, select View Recent History, and then choose LiveUpdate from the Show dropdown list.  If you see a LiveUpdate session with a Medium severity logged on or after 26-Sep-2016, double-click to view the details and see if an IPS definitions was the failed update.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Last fail/update to IPS on 1/10/2016, ref 20160930.001 for 30th Sept. No further updates to IPS so I assume this is the current version on Norton servers. Can only wait to see what happens on next server update. It appears that after an attempt to update existing file, this is when the error arises. Next attempt downloads complete file, hence difference from 3-400 KB to full file of approx. 4 MB

Kudos0

mgirons:  Last fail/update to IPS on 1/10/2016, ref 20160930.001 for 30th Sept. No further updates to IPS so I assume this is the current version on Norton servers. Can only wait to see what happens on next server update. It appears that after an attempt to update existing file, this is when the error arises. Next attempt downloads complete file, hence difference from 3-400 KB to full file of approx. 4 MB

Me Too.  My Type of Update preference = Interactive.   When there's a Product Update or Failed to complete.  I'm aware.  

Kudos0

bjm, Mine are generally on auto, occasionally run manual just before shutting down computer, go thru' History at that time just to see when last update picked up. Sunil_GA has requested logs but cant see how to collect errors as don't know if there is an update to IPS available at Norton's end, noticed there was a product update come thru' pm GMT today but not aware what it is.

Kudos0

mgirons:

Last fail/update to IPS on 1/10/2016, ref 20160930.001 for 30th Sept. No further updates to IPS so I assume this is the current version on Norton servers. Can only wait to see what happens on next server update. It appears that after an attempt to update existing file, this is when the error arises. Next attempt downloads complete file, hence difference from 3-400 KB to full file of approx. 4 MB

20160930.001 is the last version released.  You can check it here:

http://us.norton.com/security_response/definitions.jsp?pid=ns_win  

P.S. The Product Update you mention above, was to fix a problem with MBAM and HitmanPro.Alert, as per this post by Gayathri_R ADMIN.

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Hi Imacri,

Yes I check my History for update completions or failures to be sure they all were successful.  Thanks for your additional input. 

So far when it fails I re-run LiveUpdate again and it updates but like migirons mentioned above, it's a bigger file. 

Kudos0

Hello

IPS Definitions do not update on the weekends generally. If they do fail, wait a little while and they will usually fix itself. You can try running Live Update to see if it will come thru more quickly.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

7:30 am GMT in UK, failed download first auto run of day, manual Live update worked & downloaded complete file. After failure, IPS data file still read as from 30th Sept., after updating, now reads 3rd October. Appears something wrong with first syncho attempt, once this has happened next attempt downloads full file. Surely must be issue with something contained within 22.8.0.50 as started after this was installed.

Kudos0

Support have suggested leaving their Log Collector running awaiting issue of next IPS updates - prior to updating to 22.8, last  was 27nd Sept, prior to that, 22nd Sept., both these problem free, does this mean leaving the collector running full time till problem occurs?. Surely a Norton employee could do this, why was the issue not located before issue of the update ?

Kudos0

LiveUpdate history shows another failed attempt to download IPS Defs this morning while Norton Security 22.8.0.50 was on "automatic." Shortly afterwards, I manually ran LU from the main GUI and IPS Defs were successfully downloaded and installed.

The issue continues!

John E. Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 14393.321 on Lenovo ThinkPad E535 & HP Pavilion 6610F
Kudos0

Problem persists. I typically run LiveUpdate manually when I start up laptop. IPS fails on manual LiveUpdate on first attempt and then run again and it updates. It's not just in Automatic LiveUpdate mode that it occurs as Norton believes to be the case.  It is failing either way and while it eventually updates manually, it is not acceptable that it fails at all. This started after 28.0.50 product update so something  broke IPS Definitions.    I'm not sure what data logs are going to prove to Norton other than substantiate what we have been telling them....IPS Definitions are failing initial Auto and Manual LiveUpdate, with success only after another LiveUpdate is run manually.    

Kudos0

Hi everyone,

I have sent you a private message requesting additional information to help resolve this issue. Please check your inbox when you get a chance. Thank you.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hello

IPS definitions do not update during the weekends. The link I posted will show you how often it does run.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I need help getting file/log information to Gayathri_R.  I have never forwarded logs or compressed folders before so I need step by step instructions.  Maybe someone can PM me?  

She has asked me to find the Program Data\Norton\<guid>\<product version>\Lue.  I don't know what <guid> means and I don't have a file that ends with Lue.  I have NSBU not NIS. The only file I see  begins with  {0C55C096.....} with numbers and letters and that's it.  There is nothing that says Lue.    When I hover over it, it says Diagnostic Reports, has a NSBU version number and then SRTSP.  I assume this is NSBU comparable log to NIS and Lue? They assume everyone knows what they mean and knows how to do this..I don't and I need help. I'm getting very frustrated.  

Kudos0

My IPS Definitions fail to install.  However, if I turn Windows Firewall ON, the Definitions install.

I then have to turn Windows Firewall OFF again,  as we are not supposed to have two firewalls running together.

Kudos0

Tibbies4Life,

Same here. Could not originally find file as Folder Options/Show Hidden files unchecked, Checked & could open Norton Data file. Has to search for the LUE file and it was in one of the folders. Copied, pasted in Documents in new folder on C drive and then compressed file. Following link given, Then have to create a SET account. This I have done but still awaiting Application to be approved by Norton so have not yet progressed beyond this. As you state, how are we poor mortals supposed to know how to do things with no details, I am not a mind reader.

Kudos0

Si.Duval,

If you go into Norton settings - Firewall, Smart Firewall should be set to on by default. Windows Firewall should be automatically disabled by Norton. Both options should not be available. Windows Firewall in Control Panel should show being handled by Norton. Has IPS been OK before updating to 22.8.0.50 with default settings? I am running Windows 8.1 with Norton Internet Security still

Kudos1 Stats

Tibbies4Life, "Program Data\Norton\<guid>\<product version>\Lue" IS confusing! It does, however, lead to the folder Lue within which is the log file requested by Gayathri. It is small so there is no need to compress it into a zip file. 

<guid> refers to a folder with a lengthy combination of numbers and letters beginning with 0C55C096.

<product version> refers to a folder inside the above; in my case it is NSBU_22.7.1.32

Open the product version folder, the Lue folder will appear about midway through the 37 folders; inside of it is a Logs folder. Open it to find "Log.lue." You can copy or drag it into the et.symantec.com file upload window.

Hang in there! You are helping to resolve an important issue.

Kudos0

mgirons

I am on Windows 8.1 with Norton 360 Premier (not sure what 22.8.0.50 is ?)

The Firewall is handled by Norton.  It is only in the last week, or so, that IPS Definitions have failed to install.  They only install if I activate Windows Firewall

Kudos0

I have exactly the same problem. I am running Windows 7 32 bit, and Norton Security with Backup. IPS Definition updates have been failing since 29/09/16, after the NSBU product updates to version 22.8.0.50 on 28/09/16.
I always run the LiveUpdate manually after booting the laptop. On the first run the IPS definitions always fail.
I immediately re-run the LiveUpdate and it succeeds, although it appears to be rolling back, because it then downloads the full 3.88MB of updates since the 28th September.

Kudos0

@mgirons,

Yes, this happened only after the NSBU product update to 28.0.50. There is a bug in that release. One would think Norton would test the critical elements of their Updates before releasing in the wild.  SDS Def failed then it was fixed and now IPS Def failing.  Obviously much more than a server issue.  I only found the Lue file after having to do a specific file search of my C drive looking for Lue.  Now I need help in understanding how to copy it.  If I right click on the folder should I be able to click and drag it to the email of Gayathri_R as she requested of me?  I have never copied a file before so need some guidance...I'm definitely technologically challenged.  That's why I come here for help.  

Kudos0

Well this file/folder thing is more complicated (for me) than I thought.  I located (I think) the folder after doing a specific search of C drive but when I click to open it, it won't open and I get a message box that says Windows can't open the file and needs to know what program to use to open it.  I'm at a standstill.  Don't know what to do or how to proceed.  I don't have days to spend trying to figure this out.  I don't want to mess up my computer attempting something I haven't a clue what I'm doing. Not everyone who owns a computer grew up using a computer or messes with the intricacies of it's internal workings that's why I frequent forums like this to gain knowledge.   By now I'm sure they have plenty of data to review from others who have sent logs successfully reporting the same issues I'm having. So I'm done unless Gayathri_R or Sunil G A  will take time to help me through this so I can learn.  I'm not stupid...just cautious and  tech challenged. 

Kudos1 Stats

Tibbies4Life - check your PM's.

Kudos0

THANK YOU yank for all your help!!!!!  So appreciative and it wasn't hard at all.  It was me.  

Kudos0

Thanks Imacri for your assistance!  

Kudos0

7:00 am GMT UK - IPS definitions downloaded via auto Live Update first run of day successfully - 1.35 mb - too early I suppose to say issue solved.

Kudos0

Mine ran via manual LiveUpdate without failure at 6:38pm PST USA. File size 1.35mb.  First time in a week it hasn't failed first attempt at update.  I'm not placing bets that it's fixed. 

Kudos0

Same here. Norton IPS Definitions successfully installed via auto live update today at 09:08 GMT UK.  This is my first auto update of the day.  The file size is also 1.35MB. 

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue, and providing logs for our analysis. We were able to find the root cause, and have fixed this issue. However, please let us know if the problem recurs. Thank you for your patience. We really appreciate it. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Yup ... I also got a 1.35 MB IPS update last night that didn't fail

Kudos0

Great. Thank you for the confirmation. 

-Gayathri

Kudos0

IPS Defs came through OK again this morning on both computers. File download appears to be 1.35 MB, 4 times the size of before issue raised it head but now downloading without initial failure - thanks Gayathri for  quick response to problem

Kudos0

IPS Defs and eight other updates downloaded and installed successfully this morning on laptop. Wish I could also test desktop with same OS and Norton Security build but I do not have access to it for more than a week.

Hopefully, the IPS Defs plaque has come to an end!

Kudos0

jeck123,

Looks as the issue was at Norton's end. Desktop picked up OK yesterday morning on first auto update. Laptop not on yesterday but did install first attempt today, likewise desktop had another update OK today. Also Gayathri from Norton issued that problem fixed. File now seems to be 1.35 MB.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.