• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Update STOP ERROR PLZ SYMANTEC

hello people!.. much to my regret....I am very tired of Norton,This antivirus has a lot of problems! Now the last two weeks Norton with all its problems, It also has started giving problems with the updating of the definitions, more precisely with the definitions of ''norton ips definition'' and rare occasions with ''reputation revocation list'' ...It happened to me last week...It happened to me the day before yesterday...It happened to me yesterday...It happened to me today...

I am VERY fed up from norton :(

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Update STOP ERROR PLZ SYMANTEC

Hi @georgi mihaylov 91,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.  I've sent you a private message via forums requesting logs. Please check it when you get a chance. Also, Did the LiveUpdates fail when run manually or during Auto update? 

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

happened again today! :(

Ps making a second control (manual) of norton,norton updates the definitions

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

@Sunil_GA 

I had IPS Defs fail on manual LU  on both NS Premium (WIN 10 AV) and Comcast's Norton Security Suite (Win 7).  After 2nd manual LU , IPS Defs completed.  I have noticed this sequence over the last few days - possibly ever since 22.8.0.50.

Kudos0

Thanks @yank, Could you please help us gathering logs for this issue? I have sent you a message via forums requesting logs with instructions.  

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

@Sunil_GA

On and awaiting an IPS auto download.

Kudos0

As we don't know when an update is available at Norton's end, how to we know when to set the logger in action and run it 3/4 hours at a time, as we are not aware when the IPS is due an update, this means leaving logger on continuously?. Perhaps Norton should do this themselves, there have issued 20.8.0.50 with a bug in it, what happened to pre issue testing?

Kudos0

Hello

You can  look at http://us.norton.com/security_response/definitions.jsp and see what time they were released. Mine usually arrive at night. In fact my IPS Definitions just arrived. The first time the IPS updated, it failed, but succeeded about a minute later. I ran a manual update and it succeeded. This is the first time in quite a while that IPS failed for me.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi,

I have sent you a private message requesting additional information to help resolve this issue. Please check your inbox when you get a chance. Thank you.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi all,

I got some info from an unanswered thread at http:// answers.microsoft.com/ en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/ips-definitions-failed/d51498a3-c162-40dc-81d5-59b373c57f3d

(Norton or the IPS conponent(?)) cannot connect to internet

Norton Error Message 3043,1000

Then, try taking the following options:

• stop using some software downloader like IDM and/or torrent-related apps temporarily - as they would consume your bandwidth easily and hugely. 
  • clear/flush DNS cache (run ipconfig /flushdns ) ; do not miss out on browsers' items; restart your modem/ router (optional yet recommended)
  • Meantime, try ping Norton.com, Google.com and/or other possibly blocked website/domains/IPs via your default/current internet connection settings and/or ISP. Then repeat the step above by giving a proxy or VPN a go > re-run LU to update your Norton to its latest version - compare the internet/connection speed; and re-check Norton's History - Intrusion Prevention section
  • re-set your network
  • uninstall other security program temporarily > restart > try re-updating Norton installation > reinstall your uninstalled security app like MBMA - see more info (an OP from Dell Community) below.

I did the following TESTS on a Windows 10 & a Windows 7 computer:

BTW, I have a question: What does Detected mean when it comes to Intrusion Prevention - Status? Does it indicate that it can communicate with Norton/Symantec (IPS) server?

1st update: OK

(Win7; NS: 20161004.002)

(W10; NSBU: v20160223.011)

2nd one:

(NS on W7: performed a reboot. IPS, v20161004.002)

(NSBU on W7: v20160223.011)

3rd upgrade:

(NS, v22.8.0.50, on W7: Performed a reboot. Got this line: IPS, v20161004.002)

4th for NSBU - it took longer to get the latest updateS.

Moreover, when I switched internet connection among some (potentially problematic/ blocked/ slow) VPN server, I got the following picture:

The download of updates too stopped or become slow as expected.

Below is what I saw at the time of posting:

(NSBU, v22.8.0.50; Intrusion Prevention Engine, v20161004.002)

Then, am I running the latest build of Intrusion Prevention Engine?

For additional information, please hit http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19539745 > head to DubbleD's reply on 11 Jan 2014 6:19. Or you press ctrl + f when that page is loaded > enter IPS:

Norton IPS definitions (1.93 MB) also failed to install.

This confirms for me that there is a server issue here, since 2 different computers with 2 different versions NAV are having these problems.

Since this problem has now been repeatedly documented on 2 different computers of mine, using 2 different Versions of NAV, located in 2 different geographical areas, does this not suggest that the computers are the problem, but rather the Norton product (i.e., something is causing installation failures of the successfully downloaded file updates)?  

Last but not least, please make sure the link between your computer and Norton's (IPS) server is still working well or fast. And, please feel free to correct me, a Norton newbie! :)

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

it happened again xD 

the only thing I do not understand is..I downloaded (failed attempt,(manual)) about 600 KB (5 in total updates) .... next attempt (manual) successful update has downloaded 3.88 mb, only for IPS.??????!!!!!!

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue, and providing logs for our analysis. We were able to find the root cause, and have fixed this issue. However, please let us know if the problem recurs. Thank you for your patience. We really appreciate it. 

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

thanks  -Gayathri

i downloaded (manual) the updates with success :)

we hope in the future this problem does not recur :) thanks

Kudos0

Thank you for the confirmation, @georgi mihaylov 91

-Gayathri

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.