• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

How to get rid of Shopping Guarantee from Chrome

Since the last update I (and probably others) have this unwanted addition to my browser. How do you get rid of it?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to get rid of Shopping Guarantee from Chrome

If you have Norton Safe Search enabled, disable it:

Click the three dots in the Norton toolbar, move the toggle to off then close and reopen your browser.  

Hope it helps

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Rainbow_2: If you have Norton Safe Search enabled, disable it:

So, NSG is locked into Safe Search.  May I continue to run Safe Search from Norton Toolbar search without NSG.   I thought NSG was dependent on Safe Search as default browser search engine.  I thought NSG was Opt-in.   I thought I could still use Norton Toolbar search aka Safe Search without Safe Search as default browser search.

• Use the Norton Security Toolbar on Chrome: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v58055475_EndUserProfile_en_us
  • Sign in or create a Norton account
  • Enable Safe Search as the default search, home page or both
  • Have the Norton Security Toolbar installed and enabled in their browser
  • Opt in to the Norton Shopping Guarantee Anywhere program on their device
  • Purchase on eligible sites, as indicated by the shopping pillar on the toolbar
  • Transaction must be registered (automatically or manually)
  • Browser language is English-only

Just asking. 

Kudos0

Bjm_, I suggested to the best of my knowledge at this time. If you you know more, you are welcome. Thanks.

Kudos0

Rainbow_2: Bjm_, I suggested to the best of my knowledge at this time. If you you know more, you are welcome. Thanks.

Okay, Just asking... as I have not received 22.8.1 afaik. 
Thanks

Kudos0

Norton Safe Search is already disabled, they have found a way of dumping new rubbish on us! I can find no options other than to enable it not to get rid of it.

Its not in ie11 so something there blacks add on rubbish better than chrome

Kudos0

john7:  Norton Safe Search is already disabled, they have found a way of dumping new rubbish on us! I can find no options other than to enable it not to get rid of it.  Its not in ie11....

Okay, I'd also like to know how to stop NSG.....so, we'll all be learning with you. 
Yes, NSG as per posted info is (only) with Chrome extension. 

Did you > Opt in to the Norton Shopping Guarantee program on your device.

Lets hear from Community.

Kudos0

No its sitting there and its there to get you to try it out. I know its not doing anything, except annoying me (I hope). But something like this should either be removable or the opt in should be from the setting in the main Norton program. I

Kudos0

Okay, we'll try to get reply to your concerns.
So, you don't want even the hint of NSG on the Toolbar..?

Sorry, I have not received 22.8.1 as yet, as far as I know. 

Kudos0

Yes,  all other Norton options can be removed so I don't see why they force us to have this "hint" there.

Kudos0

Thanks......You may submit your concerns via
Norton Product Suggestions &/or Norton Feedback

Kudos0

Done both so they might get the hint!

Kudos0

Thanks

Kudos1 Stats

John7 is right.  I did not have it when I first posted I believe because I had not yet switched off my machine.  I have turned it on now and I also can see it in Chrome :

Kudos0

Rainbow_2,
Yep, needs toggle like Safe Search & Safe Share.  Just me.  Just saying.

Thanks

Kudos0

Is this just for Chrome? The new Norton update said NSG was added but don't see it in IE or FF. I have NSBU 22.8.1.4.

I don't have Chrome on my systems.

Jim

Kudos0

Yes, just Chrome.

I may be 'speaking' too soon but so far I still do not have the NSG icon in Chrome on my 3 machines.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

@Krusty13 

Perhaps you have not yet switched off your machines since the new version update?  It appeared here after I turned on my machine 

Kudos0

No, that's not it.  I have restarted them all since the update, but the Chrome toolbar extension just updated to v2016.0.1.4 and I haven't restarted since then though.

Kudos0

I also have the Chrome toolbar version 2016.0.1.4 but cannot say if it updated before or after I switched on my machine .

Kudos0

Rainbow_2,

I can happily report that even after another restart I still do not have the NSG icon you showed in your post above.  Perhaps one of my other extensions is blocking it, and if that's the case I'll happily keep it blocked.

As bjm_ suggested, there should be a toggle to disable it like Safe Search and Safe Share.

Kudos1 Stats

Krusty13:

As bjm_ suggested, there should be a toggle to disable it like Safe Search and Safe Share

No such a toggle available for the NSG icon.  Left clicking on it shows:

while right clicking doesn't do anything.

Kudos0

I have this stupid thing showing now as well. I want it off. Also. The toolbar likes to just vanish out of no where when going to various websites. I am using the latest Chrome 64 bit. 

Kudos0

Kudos1 Stats

@John:

Since the last update I (and probably others) have this unwanted addition to my browser.

Somehow, the said Shopping Guarantee for Google Chrome makes no sense when it comes to the installation of Norton Shopping Guarantee:

We (Symantec) will provide you with three small snippets of HTML code to install the graphical elements—the Seal, Conversion Kicker and Guarantee Notification. Installing the entire program typically takes less than one hour.

Update: @bjim_ as well: the user (I was just trying to reproduce OP's issue, and I am still trialing the latest NS.) cannot disable it once it is installed automatically. It won't show up in the add-ons list as well. Then, is it a bug or an extra feature/offer for the USER?

(NS v22.8.1.14 & Chrome v54.0.2840.99)

BTW, that NSG will run automatically when the user visit https://www.nortonshoppingguarantee.com/safesearch/ at the time of commenting. At least it 'works' for me.

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

20750065: Somehow, the said Shopping Guarantee for Google Chrome makes no sense when it comes to the installation of Norton Shopping Guarantee:

We (Symantec) will provide you with three small snippets of HTML code to install the graphical elements—the Seal, Conversion Kicker and Guarantee Notification. Installing the entire program typically takes less than one hour.

> snippets are for merchant, not Norton user.

Norton Shopping Guarantee Privacy Notice 15-Nov-2016

Kudos0

Looks like some trial stuff I dont need and hope Norton doesnt charge me

Kudos0

blue50moon: Looks like some trial stuff I dont need and hope Norton doesnt charge me

It’s free for buyers. Which is why they love it so much.

https://www.nortonshoppingguarantee.com/merchants/faqs/ 

https://www.nortonshoppingguarantee.com/safesearch/

Kudos0

Hello

I noticed it today before I got the new update. It was right next to something very similar to what Google had in that email from a store I saw.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

I just noticed this on a Microsoft page - note the different look,  sort of active (between This page is secure and the three dots) while here and other sites it is grey - with Remind me later and Don't ask me again options:

Kudos0

> maybe on sites with participating merchants, NSG logo lites-up, "shop here with Safe Search, we have Shopping Guarantee".
> welcome to the wonderful world of marketing.

Kudos6 Stats

Thanks for alerting us so quickly  to your concerns about Norton Shopping Guarantee. At this time, Norton Shopping Guarantee can be disabled, but the icon cannot be hidden on the toolbar. We are researching about adding an option in the product to be able to hide the Norton Shopping Guarantee icon.

Norton Shopping Guarantee for Norton Security Users is a service offered by Norton to Safe Search users to increase buyer confidence with online transactions.

When you complete an eligible purchase from an eligible merchant, you receive a 30-day Norton Shopping Guarantee for Norton Security Users that includes a purchase guarantee worth up to $1,000. This added benefit is made available at no cost to you. You can learn more about this benefit at: https://nortonshoppingguarantee.com/safesearch.

If you do not wish to take advantage of this benefit, you may click either “Remind me later or “Don’t ask me again” options that appear on the bottom left of the pop up window that appears when you visit eligible sites.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

That there isn't a solution for this annoying button that spawns popups is unacceptable. Is this going to just disappear after the holiday season? I certainly don't plan on using it, and the service doesn't even sound that useful to begin with. It doesn't provide any real protection beyond what any reputable company (those who would be using it to begin with) would provide with the exception that it is limited to 1000 as opposed to full purchase price... what's up with this junk? 

Kudos0

DontWantAUsername: I certainly don't plan on using it, and the service doesn't even sound that useful to begin with. It doesn't provide any real protection beyond what any reputable company (those who would be using it to begin with) would provide with the exception that it is limited to 1000 as opposed to full purchase price...

Free 30-Day Guarantee:
Automatically enjoy these three benefits when you make a purchase with a Norton Shopping Guarantee endorsed merchant.

1. $10,000
    Identity Theft Protection
  2. $1,000
    Purchase Guarantee
  3. $100
    Lowest Price Guarantee

https://www.nortonshoppingguarantee.com/shoppers/

Kudos0

Yes yes, we all get it. Many of us just don't want it or care. I personally just want the dang button gone.

Kudos0

DontWantAUsername: Yes yes, we all get it. Many of us just don't want it or care. I personally just want the dang button gone.

Yes yes, we all hear you.  

Thanks for alerting us so quickly  to your concerns about Norton Shopping Guarantee. At this time, Norton Shopping Guarantee can be disabled, but the icon cannot be hidden on the toolbar. We are researching about adding an option in the product to be able to hide the Norton Shopping Guarantee icon.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7246661

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/be-able-remove-shopping-guarantee-chrome

Kudos0

mine isnt on now but if I go to legit site like walmart or something It comes on. Im not gonna worry about it at least it tells you if your on a legit site and not a scam site

Kudos0

Latest product update is being released to resolve the issues with ... Norton Shopping Guarantee issues. 

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norto... (see the Comment section, thx) 

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

I can't see any way of getting rid of this malware even after the patch!

Kudos0

I'm having the same problem as of 3 or 4 days ago, in Explorer (non-Chrome).  This pop-up touting "Shop safely with Norton" limited time purchase protection offer blocks a significant portion of my computer screen, and takes several minutes to go away!  Clicking the "X" or "no thanks" doesn't make it go away.  I just get the spinning wheel of paralysis, and there's no way to send the ad window to the back behind my browser window or any other window in which I might be working; and so during these several minutes, my computer is rendered basically unusable.  After several minutes, it goes away, BUT:  What in the world is Norton doing, allowing what is de facto malware to be pushed out to subscribers?  That is the exact OPPOSITE of what I am paying Norton to do!  Does the company not understand what a profound breach of faith it is making with customers by pushing malware out to us in order to tout its products? 

Kudos0

Hello

I'm using IE 11 on Win 7 Pro 64 bit and I have not seen this. Have you received all of your Live Updates? Have you tried running Live Update? Have you restarted your computer? Have you tried using an Ad-Blocker in your browser?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I have been a loyal Norton's customer for 25 years, however I am re-evaluating my allegiance. I can understand this intrusive, assertive behavior in the free product, but purchaser's of the paid product have the right to receive a pristine product free of "easy-in, difficult-out" advertising and tracking add-ons.

My PC is actually my PC, not your PC. It seems to me that Norton has assumed a highly offensive 'pwn' corporate mindset towards their retail customers powered by greed. (wiki: pwn means to compromise or control, specifically another computer).

Reading the posts on this subject, you can see how offended all your customers are, yet you persist.

Abusing customer trust will catch up with you - it is just a matter of time.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.