• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Errors 8920 and 208 with Windows 10 Tech Support Not Getting it Done

After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro I have consistently received errors  8920 and 208. 

I have spent HOURS in on line chat with Tech Support multiple times. Tech support can solve the problem initially (steps have included, DNS flush and re-installing Nortons), however at the next update I again receive errors 8920 and 208.

What is the permanent solution? How common is this problem in the Norton Community?

Thank you

Labels: Windows 10

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Errors 8920 and 208 with Windows 10 Tech Support Not Getting it Done

@J_Invictus,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have sent you a private message with steps to collect logs. Please check it when you get a chance. Thanks.

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

NAlso of NOTE. This issue only seems to affect Norton Security and NOT Norton 360. Are users at risk by reverting to Nortons 360?

Thanks

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

Have you disabled Fast Startup? Fast Startup has been known to cause many errors in both Norton and many other programs.

Here is a link for turning off Fast Startup in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html 

Please turn off your computer.

Then turn on your computer.

Please test then to see if you are still having the issue.

Please come back and let us know how you made out.

Thanks..

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

After installing WIN 10 last week, downloading Norton via Comcast, I have had 5 cases with Norton for error 8920, 208. I used the AUTOFIX and Get Support for the 5 cases.   Once, I was dropped after being 22nd in the queue so i was in the queue again. 

Each time after they remove Norton and re-install, Live Update works immediately after the install but not the next day.

The 2 web protection definitions fail to complete. 

I have been totally satisfied with Norton for years.   I am now totally frustrated and afraid to use the web.  HELP!

Kudos0

Hi @EG360,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have sent you a private message with steps to collect logs. Please check it when you get a chance. Thanks.

Kudos0

Sunil, I uploaded the requested file on 21 August

Kudos0

Thanks @J_Invictus, Could you please also provide the reference number that generated was after logs were uploading? 

Kudos0

I upgraded to Win10 Pro x64 yesterday (from Win7). My first manual Live Update resulted in 1 item successfully updated, but two items failed: Norton Web Protection Definitions and
Norton Web Protection Definitions (hub) I retried LU later on in the evening, still the same two components failed to update. I tried the autofix suggestion, this time I received a message with “Restart required” and “NS has encountered an error: 8921,243”.

After reboot the app said that quick scan had never been performed. I tried to start QS, but nothing happens. If I now try LU, the screen tells 'LiveUpdate is in Progress..', but all the three detail lines say 'Pending'. There is no disk activity. The result is identical if I try to start LU from the system task icon. In addition: I am unable to SignIn, the app tries to communicate with the Norton Server, but ends with the message “Server error: We're working to resolve an issue that prevents us from completing your request. Try again later. (-6)”.

The status today is identical to yesterday. But now I can see from the system icon that Smart Firewall has to be enabled! All the firewall controls are greyed out!!

I am running NS 22.5.2.15, Windows Fast Start is disabled.

NS Deluxe / NS Online - Win10 // NMS on Android phones.
Kudos0

Hi John,

Please have a look at the following post:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6618611#comment-6618611

FWIW, I have queried Norton as to why this info is not widely known amongst the Norton Techs.  Perhaps a PM to the author will work for you.

@Sunil_GA   perhaps a check with some techs will produce the email that was referred to in the above linked post?  If true that would save gathering files.

Kudos0

Hi yank, thank you for your presence and wish to help. I have PM'ed strobe lights for the secrets; I want to try this solution before reverting to Win7.

Unfortunately I have other severe issues too, so I am not sure whether successful LU will help. Norton Security has so far been a disaster after upgrading to Win 10. And I have been very satisfied with Norton for more than 2 years. My license runs out in 36 days......

Kudos0

My issues with  NS 22.5.2.15 and Windows 10 started yesterday with the 8920, 208 error, but escalated through the evening and the morning today. I received the recipe from strobe lights – thank you  strobe lights! - but then I had a lot of computer problems, not only with NS. Windows Update failed several times (but succeeded at last), the printer did not work as before, I was unable to connect to my NAS disk from the WinPE environment. Maybe my computer is to old to run with Win10.

Without trying strobe lights' solution I reverted to Windows 7. Now everything is fine again!

Kudos0

but then I had a lot of computer problems, not only with NS. ---, the printer did not work as before, I was unable to connect to my NAS disk from the WinPE environment.

Computer skilled members may be frustrated by some of my computer problems. It's a common case that a new OS needs new drivers for some devices. I haven't updated my printer driver for several years. NOW I have a driver suitable for Win7, 8 and 10. About NAS disk and WinPE: The OS is not the reason for the missing connection. Sorry, I forgot what I already knew, WinPE does not support Wi-Fi. I have to re-wire my local network when I want to access NAS from WinPE.

I'll retry the Win10 upgrade when Norton officially declares the 8920, 208 error is resolved. I follow the main thread (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/8920-208-error-web-protection-def...) and the “Hot Fixes & Issues - Norton 22.5.2.15” post.

Kudos0

Thanks for the note but why would anybody want to start WIN10 slower because Norton can't get it right? This problem needs to be fixed and tech support has absolutely no idea how the fix it except to go round and round with the same procedure that never seems to be a permanent fix. 

Kudos0

As a PC repair tech I could not agree more with you. Fast start up in a huge plus in Windows 10. It is on by default and the majority of users don't even know about it. They are just happy with Windows starting up faster. It's a selling feature. Fast start up only effects shutdowns. So a simple restart should fix any issue since restarts are not effected by fast startup. I myself leave it on and never have any issues. Kinda like disabling your turbo on your car cause it is causing issues. But isn't the reason you bought a turbo was for speed? Duh
Kudos0

PatsSoxBruins:
As a PC repair tech I could not agree more with you. Fast start up in a huge plus in Windows 10. It is on by default and the majority of users don't even know about it. They are just happy with Windows starting up faster. It's a selling feature. Fast start up only effects shutdowns. So a simple restart should fix any issue since restarts are not effected by fast startup. I myself leave it on and never have any issues. Kinda like disabling your turbo on your car cause it is causing issues. But isn't the reason you bought a turbo was for speed? Duh

As a user that leaves Fast start up on - please see my post here  .  You may feel my comments there may not have anything to do with what I bolded - but no one else has responded to that thread. 

Kudos0

Windows 10 by default has fast startup on and hibernate on. I have all my Windows 10 PC's setup like this. No issues whatsoever. If I experience any issues I merely do a restart. I maintain hundreds of Windows 10 PC's with fast startup enabled. Considering 80% of Windows 10 don't evem know what fast startup is or even know how to turn it off I would say the vast majority have fast startup on. I enjoy my 30 second cold boots. Restarts can be around 2 minutes.
Kudos0

Thanks for the feedback.

Kudos0

@Yank..your suggestion doesn't solve the problem for me. I've been through two agents and have also tried what you suggested. Works for a while and then comes back.

Kudos0

@Sunil_GA:  Any suggestions based on your investigation of the logs? The error keeps returning no matter how I try to fix it either through the support techs or by myself. Works for a while then comes back. When I "View Summary" one of the errors listed "Norton SDS Definitions X64" offers a link to additional information. When linked you  get "You may have typed or clicked an incorrect link. Please make sure that you have typed in or copied the link correctly." Give me a break! Not only can't Norton fix this annoying problem but they can't even correct the links in there own error messages. This is getting exasperating but more importantly, the criticality of the errors leaves me with the unpleasant situation that my PC is not properly protected. Anyway of getting this situation more attention from Norton. This has been going on for many weeks. 

Kudos0

@ Gnuges:

To fix issue re support page, try erasing the "tracking" code in the URL, then fresh the target page later (F5, Ctrl + R, etc.) :

And have you tried using other browser in your system?

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

@Sunil_GA:  Any suggestions based on your investigation of the logs?

The logs collected by Sunil were from over a year ago. This thread was started in August of 2015. The Norton product, and Windows 10 are much different from then. Any findings from those logs would be almost useless for today's systems.

If you are seeing the same 8920, 208 error see this Norton KB article.   https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v57189259_End...

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

@Virus Trouncer;

Thanks -- didn't know I had to do that when clicking on a link. I'll do it next time I get the message.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.