• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security excessive had access

Hi! All, I'm experiencing an extremely high level of hard drive reads & writes. It's so bad that the computer is completely unusable. I've checked the Windows resource monitor & it shows ns.exe as using 100% of the hard drive's read/write resources. I can understand this happening during a system scan but when a scan isn't being performed or an update being installed the drive should be released from any read/write activities. If any program such as IE11 get launched the program either stops responding or takes 20 to 30 minutes to fully loaded. This is ridiculous, Norton Security should not be bogging down a computer like this. Thanks, Tech83

Labels: Performance

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security excessive had access

Topic should be Norton Security excessive hdd access. The wonderful world of autocorrect. My apologies for the typo. Tech83
Kudos0

Hi Tech83,

Below is a listing of basic troubleshooting steps for Windows:

1. If you're using a Windows 8 or greater computer, plz re-check the fast startup setting and ensure that it's still disabled.

2. If you had or are still other non-Symantec security program, plz uninstall that item using their official removal tool, temporarily. You may browse this KB@ ESET site.

3. Please run LU to get the most recent updates from Norton servers. Restart after downloading/installing those updates. Similarly, ensure that there's no pending Windows-related updates. BTW, have you made any changes to your system?

4. Have you checked your system for PUPs and/or potential threats (in Safe Mode)?

3. Just to clarify, are you still suffering 100% continuous disk usage, application hangs? Did you still experience the issue in Safe Mode? Have you tried using Norton Remove and Reinstall tool?

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

Hi! 20750065, Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit edition all updates installed. Norton Security is up to date with the latest updates. No changes made to the system outside standard Microsoft Updates & Updates to Norton Security. No malware or PUPs were found. Yes, still have near continuous disk usage & applications still hang during the disk activity from Norton Security. Issue is still very much present in safe mode. Norton Remove & Reinstall crashes with unknown error. I've even tried to reinstall Windows from a backup image but once NS version 22.8.1024.70 is back the issue returns. I'm beginning to believe the issue has something to do with latest NS build; a laptop that just updated to the aforementioned version has started having the same problem. Quite frankly, this issue is killing my sytem's hard drive & the laptop's hard drive could very easily wind up in the same condition. Thanks, for reading my ramble, Tech83
Kudos0

Hi, Tech83. Have you tried the Norton Removal Tool ? https://www.norton.com/nrt

This will give a more thorough uninstall, and then you can download a fresh preactivated copy from your Norton Account. 

Norton may have become corrupted, and this will at least give you a clean install.

If used, please read the Before you begin note, run Live Update after until no more are found, and then RESTART.

Let us know how you go.

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Hi! F4E, My apologies for the delay in response. I've recently had a security breach & am working to re-secure all affected accounts. Since my last post my NS product has been detecting several heuristic threats. Hope to provide more information later. Gotta jet now. Thanks, for your time & patience, Tech83
Kudos0

@Tech83:

Could U please upload an img re "Norton Remove & Reinstall crashes[d]"?

And, plz update your device driver when you restored your Win7.

Thanks and good luck... 

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.