• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

BHDrvx64 load preceeds Win 10 system crashes

My Dell Studio XPS 435T has been crashing within minutes of startup since the November 9, 2016 Windows 10 upgrade.  Crashes have either been unexpected power loss or screen freezes with unresponsive keyboard and mouse.  In order to recover from the screen freezes I had to power off the machine. Either sort of crash was logged as a Critical Event.  On reviewing the System Log every crash but one has been immediately preceded by a File System Filter Load of BHDrvx64(6.1, 2016-11-04...) A search of other threads on this site suggests it's associated with my Norton Security.  The crashes remain, and may be more frequent after the December 9 upgrade.

I've tried using BlueScreenView, but these crashes don't seem to be associated with MiniDumps.  The only MiniDump I can find appears to be near the time of my latest Norton upgrade, 12/6/2016.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: BHDrvx64 load preceeds Win 10 system crashes

Uninstall Norton and reboot. Run the Norton Unistall tool and reboot. Turn on Winfows Defender and see if the computer still crashes. Wait a couple of days to see if the problem comes back. If not reinstall Norton. Are you running any other security?
Kudos0

Norton Security Premium is the only thing I'm running, but I'm running it on 4 PCs.  Problem only occurs on the oldest.

Kudos0

@SeldomSeen: 

Try updating your Norton Security Premium on that old 435T. Restart when ready. And, remember to disable "Fast Startup" setting.

BTW, can you find any option regarding "Norton Autofix"? Launch that option if you find it.

If your issue persists, plz tells us...

- the exact Norton Product Name and version number installed

- your operating system [Windows 10 Build number]

- the exct BASH definitions version number from below location on your computer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\[Norton Product Name]\NortonData\22.5.2.15\Definitions\BASHDefs

For more info, you may Chat with Norton Support.

Please post back if this or any other comment solves your problem. THX...

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

Thanks, 20750065. 

Not having much luck finding AutoFix.  New version download is set to Auto so I assume I'm up to date.  Just found Automatic Live Update background tasks and it ran minutes ago. Norton Security with Backup was installed on 12/6/16 from download, so I'd think that should be up to date to.

Product is Norton Security With Backup.

Windows 10 Version is 1607 x64 (KB3201845)  BASHDefs folder is in Norton Security With Backup\NortonData\22.8.1.14\Definitions\BASHDefs\20161208.001\(lots of files but no version numbers).  Is that the version number you are looking for?

Kudos0

@SeldomSeen: personally, you still need to keep your Norton Security With Backup (NSBU) up-to-date by running LiveUpdate. Disable Fast Startup if you're still using that setting.

Well, some Norton guru and/or Admin would help you out later: they may ask you to collect NSBU logs.

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

Live update shows "Not Required".

I've disabled Fast Boot in my 435T Bios. Is that what you're talking about?

I can't find any fast startup options in Win10, or NSBU.

Kudos0

If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Fast Start feature.. See more information here.

Are you actually getting BSODs or is your system just becoming unresponsive? You need a BSOD to get a dump to read with BlueScreen viewer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks, peterweb.  Wouldn't have found it without the links.

Kudos0

You want to leave your BIOS fast boot up on. Every PC is different. Unless they are all identical. The first step in trying to diagnose a blue screw is to remove what you might think is causing it. Then go from there. You may find it is not a Norton issue.
Kudos0

Hello

'The new version check on Auto only checks for updates that are major ones like from version 22 to 23. That Auto check would not show if you needed to update from version 22.8 to 22.8.1.14. This all means is that you still have to run Live Update a few times and then restart and try running Live Update again to make sure you have all the updates. More so if you don't keep your computer on all the time.

Crashes due to power failures is beyond Norton's control. A good UPS is needed for that and for you to be at your computer at the time of the power failure so you can shut down your computer safely..

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome latest one
Kudos0

floplot, I've had two good days with the machine since I removed Fast Boot from my bios and Fast Start from Win10.  Both my desktops are connected to an APC Smart UPS.  The old 435 T crashes while the new machine stays up and running, so I doubt it's a power problem.  Could be a power supply problem, but I think a software problem is more likely, since it seems to be fixed for the moment, the problem started right after a Windows Update, and BHDrvx64 always preceded the crashes.

Kudos0

Hello

Today is Windows Update Day, so perhaps there is something in there that might fix the issue unless the problem computer is XP.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 270 I E 11 Chrome latest one
Kudos0

I ran from 12/10 to 12/16 without any problems.  Today I got a BSOD, with a note that PFN list was corrupt. The screen dump states 9:04 AM but system log shows no events for that time.  Today's critical event shows as 9:07 AM, and the event immediately before that was another BHDrvx64 filter load.  "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)" was installed on 12/14.  Is it possible that BlueScreenView and the Windows system log could report times that far apart? 

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

@ SeldomSeen:

The said KB3206632 helps fix known bugs in Windows, and it also caused BSOD (CODE BAD POOL HEADER), according to some Windows 10 users@ MS Forums. Then you may consider uninstalling that patch from the "Installed Updates" section.

Restart when ready. And plz update the result later. Thx...

Kudos0

Maybe I missed it, but did you ever run Norton Remove and Reinstall? I had a similar problem last week and that solved the problem.

It can be found here :

https://support.norton.com/sp/nl/nl/home/current/solutions/v60392881_End...

W10 Fall CU / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 56 & 57, TB 52.5, NS 22.11.2.7, (Android 4.2 with NMS)
Kudos0

Hello

You can get the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool in English from

www.norton.com/nrnr

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks, floplot.  I ran RMR last Sunday.  The machine behaved well for a week.  Yesterday and today, minutes after boot it froze.  No keyboard or mouse.  Today fans were running full tilt.  I manually powered down with the power switch after 8 minutes.  The last event log item before both lockups was BHDrvx64.  This seems to only occur at startup.  I'm using the machine to write this message and it's behaving fine.

Kudos0

Hello

You can put on boot Time Protection and see if that helps any. You can also run an on demand scan with the free version of Malwarebytes 2.2. You can find it at File Hippo, but please watch to make sure you only download that program.  See if it finds and deletes any thing malicious.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks again, floplot.

Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 detected 3 instances of PUP.Optional.AmazonTB, 3 instances of PUP.Optional.VulnerableDellSystemDetect, and 6 instances of PUP.Optional.ASK. I've removed these and turned on Boot Time Protection Agressive.  We'll see how it goes.

Kudos0

@SeldomSeen,

the said 9 instances of PUPs by MBAM can be frequently installed along with some free downloads, even so-called security program (e.g., PCKeeper). Then plz take care of your left mouse button when installing 3rd-party downloads:

1. PUP.Optional.AmazonTB is also known as Amazon Assistant (pka, Amazon Browser Bar)

2. PUP.Optional.VulnerableDellSystemDetect:

known as Dell System Detect, is pre-installed with many Dell systems. According to research done by Tom Forbes, older versions of Dell System Detect are vulnerable to a serious remote code execution attack.

Then, plz re-check the programs list under Control Panel for other pre-installed programs. Uninstall 'em using Revo from your Dell computer.

3. PUP.Optional.ASK = Ask Toolbar. Beware of its endless clones!

Kudos0

You have to be careful what you remove. Dell System Detect is a not a PUP. It is legit software from your Dell PC. 

Kudos0

Also a PUP would not cause your issue. They are not malware, viruses or adware. What MBAM detected was merely a toolbar add on. 

Kudos0

FYI: Still no joy.  Freeze today right after start. BHDrvx64 was last thing to load before freeze.

Kudos1 Stats

Seems like I'm not the only Norton user with a BHDrvx64 problem:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH236411.html

This link exactly describes my problem.  Although my computer isn't a server it shares folders with other computers on my home network.  After a hang, my computer works fine after a reboot.

Kudos0

That article is for Symantec Endpoint running on a server. Unrelated. Usually something like this is related to left over previous antiviruses (if you had one). Did you have something prior to Norton? If so did you fully remove it? n your first post you mentioned ever since you upgraded to Windows 10. It is possible that something went wrong in your upgrade. I experienced this myself. You can try resetting Windows 10 or completely reinstalling it. I would uninstall Norton completely. Run the Norton Removal Tool and reboot. Run the Norton Removal Tool again and reboot. Search for any left files or folders. Run CCleaner registry cleaner and reboot. Download and install the latest version of Norton. 

Also when you upgraded to Windows 10 are you sure your Dell fully supported Windows 10? Even thought Microsoft gave users a free upgrade it does not necessarily mean your pc supports it. Especially the drivers. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/SupportedOS/studio-xps...

Kudos0

Hello SeldomSeen

Please have a look at this solved thread to see if it applies.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6905011#comment-6905011

Thanks.

Kudos0

Floplot: If it's solved, shouldn't it be in current builds?  Also my hangs aren't BSOD.  The screen image remains, but doesn't update with mouse or keyboard.

PatSoxBruins:  This problem started on November 9, 2016.  I've had Win10 on the problem machine since it came out in August of 2015.  I now see that Dell doesn't guarantee that a machine as old as mine is Win10 compatible. I have run RNR on the machine.

Too bad Microsoft made it so easy to upgrade to Windows 10.

Kudos0

Hello

If you do a Forum Search of that driver, you will see that there has been issues with that driver for many years. Most of the threads aren't marked as solved. The one I posted was rather recent and also marked as solved.

Have you tried a clean install of your Norton product?

Thanks.

Kudos0

@SeldomSeen,

Too bad Microsoft made it so easy to upgrade to Windows 10

Plz review this Norton KB.

Your Norton product will work on Windows 10 as long as you have the latest version installed. To make sure that you have the latest version available for your Norton product installed, visit the Norton Update Center.

Meantime, "Windows 10 will be a great operating system -- (ONLY) when it's finished". And plz review Windows 10 system requirements here.

Windows 10 doesn’t suit everyone and not every issue can be fixed. 

To work around yr issue, you may consider:

Thx and luck... :)

Kudos0

SeldomSeen

Following on floplot's suggestion of a clean install of Norton. You say you used the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool. You should now try the Norton Removal Tool. It does a more thorough uninstall, and may be able to clean up your issue.   www.norton.com/nrt   As always be sure you run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Another suggestion that sometimes helps with difficult problems. Try clearing all Windows temp files. Then find the Windows/Prefetch folder and delete all the files in that folder. These files help Windows load programs quickly. They will be recreated when Windows is restarted.

Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Restart the computer once more. The first restarts may take a little longer as the Prefetch files are recreated.

Kudos0

There was a Dell Update 8 days ago that seemed to fix my problem, but after 8 days of no crashes the system froze up again minutes after boot this morning.  Did a little more research on my event logs.  The freeze is always preceded by these four filter loads in this order, top is last load:

BHDrvx64

eeCtrl

npsvctrig

FileCrypt

Since the top two are Norton related, might I save myself some grief by switching to another anti-virus and firewall on this machine?

Kudos0

I looked around a bit on FileCrypt crashes. Have a read through this post. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2782688/computer-reboots-minutes-lo...

Looking into that post, the user was having a crash with one user account and not another. Can you try setting up another user account and use that one for a while to see if you still see the crashes.

Kudos0

Well the headline on that link exactly describes my problem.  I've set up a second account, and will boot with it, but it will be a nuisance, because some of the software I use is only available on my original account, and can't be re-installed to the new account.  Another thing, the original poster on that thread was using a Western Digital drive.  Mine's a Seagate.

Kudos0

What kind of software won't allow you to use it in a different user account on the same computer? Maybe you could uninstall on the original account and reinstall on the new.

If not, it is probably going to take a while to see if this solves the issue, if as you say you went 8 days since the last problem. How often were you having the crashes in the past?

Kudos0

Uninstall and reinstall isn't an option.  I no longer have the installer files for some software.  Other software runs out a user limited license.   Before this last 8 days of clean boots, crashes occurred every day or so at start of day.  Then the machine ran fine after a forced power down. 

Question I raised above still needs an answer: Would I be better off switching to other security software that doesn't use BHDrvx64?

Kudos0

Would I be better off switching to other security software that doesn't use BHDrvx64?

Only you can answer that. It might resolve your issue, and it may not if it is the FileCrypt causing the problems.

You could always try fully removing Norton and using a trial of another product. If you still see the crashes, you would know it was not Norton and could keep looking elsewhere for the solution. 

Kudos0

Well, I've had a month and 2/3rds of good boots.  I figure somebody fixed something, but I've no clue what was fixed.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.