• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Identity Safe in Firefox stopped working

Since I updated to Norton Security 22.9, Identity Safe 2.0.65 in Firefox (51.0.1 32-bit)  keeps telling me my password for the vault is invalid.  However, it is valid and works in Chrome.  I've tried removing the extension in Firefox and then reloading it, and still have the same issue.  (Windows 7 Pro)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identity Safe in Firefox stopped working

Apparently the problem was with the password change not the update.  I took a wild chance and put in the old password. When I did that, the login was successful. Am I going to have to do something like this every time the password is changed on my vault?

Kudos0

How did you change the password for the vault? As the vault is online, any change from any device should carry over to all other devices.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

That's what I would have thought too. In fact, we regularly have the vault up and running on 3 machines in the office and after changing on the first one from Chrome, when accessed through Chrome on the others the new password was recognized and the old one wasn't. 

Kudos0

Sorry for the interruption, but could this possibly have anything to do with opening ID Safe when you first go into FF?  I've noticed there is a sync of settings when ID Safe is first opened in FF.  Could it be possible, FF needs to be open and signed into ID Safe when you change the password for the vault on another system?

Kudos0

Is Identity Safe for Firefox keeping some kind of local vault?  Every time I log in I see a message that the vault has been synced.

After a complete shutdown overnight, I've used the old password in Identity Safe on all my copies of Firefox and it works, but the new password that works through the interface in Chrome. Just to see, I logged in through the web interface and it is using the password I that is working in Firefox. 

So now I have to wonder how are the vaults in Chrome sharing their data but not using the same password as is online and in Firefox?

I am very confused now.

Kudos0

Hello

Please look in Programs and Features and see if you have a listing for Identity Safe? I am wondering if perhaps you have a Standalone Vault and the one in your Norton product. It might have happened during a reinstall of your Norton product. If you do have one there listed separately, it will need to be uninstalled. Please wait though for peteweb or yank. They are more knowledgeable about this than I am.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

No, the only listing in Programs and Features is Norton Security.  I did have to go to the Firefox Add-ons page to get the Identity Safe Extension. I haven't found a way to get Norton Security to install it.

Kudos0

Are you using different email and password for the Chrome vault and the FF vault?

The sync you see in the FF extension is a process to update a local cache on your computer with the contents of the online vault. This way, if you had added or changed a login from another device, it will be reflected while logged in through FF.

Kudos0

It quit working on all of my browsers.  After 2 chat sessions, the second one admitted that it was an ongoing problem that their engineers were aware of and were working to resolve. "Please check back in 48 hours."

Flashbacks to the Firefox fiasco that took "how long??" to resolve...

Kudos2 Stats

Mine also stopped working in Firefox 51.0.1. It was working fine yesterday, but now when I try to login to unlock it appears to work since it accepts my password without error, I click the icon again and it still shows it's locked.. so it's worthless. But it works just fine on Chrome. Go figure. Any chance this thing is ever going to be fixed? It was enough of a hassle to always have to login every single time I'd load the FF browser, but that's never needed with Chrome. I don't get it, why is it so seamless on Chrome, but always troublesome on FF? So, back to using FF's internal password deal.
Kudos2 Stats

Same thing happens to me worked fine now it wont open. Can enter password not problem but vault remans closed

Kudos2 Stats

I have Firefox 51.0.1 installed the extension for Identity Safe was working fine until yesterday 2/14 when Norton pushed down an update to my Norton Security. It required a system restart to apply updates and worked fine the rest of the day. This morning the vault will not unlock even though it accepts the password. The extension is enabled but the vault will no longer open nor fill in passwords to sites.

I've had enough..... downloaded LastPass as an alternative to this mess and the lack of a timely solution to an issue with the vault ever since Firefox switched its format. I don't understand the failure to address an issue that has kept presenting itself over and over. Causing a disruption of the quality of service that Norton has been so famous for through the years.

Kudos0

Hello

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.16.2.22 Core Firmware 270 I E 11
Kudos0

1st sorry for my english, i posted the problem in German forum, too.

https://community.norton.com/de/forums/ids-firefox-addon-funktioniert-ma...

IDS addon in firefox doesn´t work after the upgrade from yesterday (22.9.0.68 ). The window for signin comes, I enter the password and the windows closeing directly. But IDS isn`t sign in.

I restart, i deinstall und reinstall the addon. It doesn't work. Rebooting the system sometimes. I used the norton tool for de- and reinstall with the result, that i can't login in IDS in the Norton Programm ( Timeout error ). Now i don`t become my passwords...the problem is >24h. The Norton Homepage  IDS said no account.

At work i have the same system...with same problems.  We need our passwords !

And please, give us an offline IDS !

Kudos0

@floplot      Thank you for responding.... I've tried restarting, totally shutting down system and starting back up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Norton Security. Nothing is changing the problem with the vault not opening with correct password. It acts as though the password is accepted but the vault is still closed. No finished sync message is displayed... so I know the vault isn't open like  normal.  I'm at a loss as to what the update did which caused the problem. Surely Norton is testing the effects of these updates prior to pushing them down to our systems. Hopefully their not taking a wait and see what new problems this creates type of stance.

Kudos0

I've also restarted and get the exact same non results as buzzlityr. Very frustrating.
Kudos0

So what I'm seeing this morning is that when I log into IDS through the interface in Chrome all my computers are working. I think what is happening is that once I also try to use IDS in Firefox, if we have to start the access in Chrome again we cannot get into IDS out of either browser.  

Since the password to access my vault online is the password prior to my monthly password change, it appears, that even though IDS in Chrome is sharing the logins properly, the global password/encryption was not executed on the cloud vault properly, thus creating some kind of conflict there that is made worse by logging in with access through Firefox that apparently did not recognize the password change.

Kudos0

How about letting us have a local password wallet again so we wont have this problem when Firefox or Norton updates something. Its clear that Norton currently has compatibility issues with Firefox.

Kudos0

How about letting us have a local password wallet again so we wont have this problem when Firefox or Norton updates something. Its clear that Norton currently has compatibility issues with Firefox.

Good luck with that. For the last few years Norton has not supported creating a new local vault in their products. Just search the forums for 'Local vault'.

I personally feel that they have committed to cloud vaults and we will never see local again.

Even those of us that have been able to maintain a local vault are only able to use it in Chrome or IE. The new FF extension does not even allow us to use our existing local vault. Cloud only.

Kudos0

Hello

There has been an issue with the I D Safe since Feb.15 according to https://status.norton.com  .

Thanks.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.