• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

LU Definition Updates fails for NAV 21.7.0.11

I know, perhaps not the safest option, however, to stay with Norton I have no choice!  So I use NAV 21.7.0.11 for two legacy computers with SSE only CPUs.  Until recently, I had no problems to get updates automatically and via LU.

However, now I can't update the NAV Virus and IPS definitions:

I did a clean reinstall of NAV 21.7.0.11, but, no change.  Besides, the problem happens on both the legacy computers, so it's not a single incident.  As I have done in the past, I went here to download a full size offline definition file:

https://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/detail.j...

Regrettably, all recent files fail to update.  I had to go back to 20170124-001-v5i32.exe to be successful.  What's up?  Any ideas?  Remember, updating to NAV 22.x.x is not an option as for that I need SSE2 based CPUs.  Thanks.

Labels: LiveUpdate

Replies

Kudos0

Re: LU Definition Updates fails for NAV 21.7.0.11

I've run LiveUpdate again (no errors), rebooted, run LiveUpdate again (no errors) and message stating everything's up-to-date and so moved on to stage 2 as described in https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v64139262_End....  The full scan immediately reported the same 3038, 106 error which Autofix again claimed to repair as before and automatically resumed the scan.  The full scan is still running ...

Kudos2 Stats

Hi folks,

The fix released overnight was just a workaround to allow the update to succeed (so your computer is protected). The affected files themselves aren't updated yet--that'll take a little while longer, and it's one of those files that causes the Quick Scan to fail. A right-click folder scan should work just fine.

While we're preparing the fix, if you've got AutoProtect, SONAR and IPS enabled, then you'll be covered in real time with the latest protection.

Kudos0

The fix for LU seems to work fine, however, Quick Scan does not (so far).  Have the same errors as reported above.

To be sure my tinkering/workarounds hadn't caused the Quick Scan issue, I imaged my C: drive back to January 23rd, before the update troubles started.  After reboot and update, same thing: LU works (green) but QS doesn't (red error).

Too bad I didn't know of the limitations of the current fix per dkane's post: The affected files themselves aren't updated yet--that'll take a little while longer, and it's one of those files that causes the Quick Scan to fail.

Regardless, thanks to Mohan and to the Symantec staff for working this out asap.  One down and one to go!

Kudos0

Norton team,

Thank you for the attention to the issues, and the progress so far.

Enjoy,

Rich P

Kudos0

Hello Mohan

Thanks again for taking care of this thread.

I know you guys had been busy with getting version 22.9.0.68 out.. Thanks to the Team also and dkane also..

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

All scans updated fine today - nice to see all those yellow squares again. 

Kudos0

RichP:

Yeah, I just ran a LU on my old XP machine and the update succeeded (10 updates!) but I have the same error running a QuickScan.

But we're making progress! Thanks for everybody's help. Now let's see it finished.

David

Kudos0

The affected files themselves aren't updated yet--that'll take a little while longer, and it's one of those files that causes the Quick Scan to fail.

Hello dkane, can you please give us a timeline for the final 'all files' fix, including the Quick Scan?  Would be nice to put this whole thing behind us!  Thanks!

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

It'll be done this week, probably on Wednesday, but don't hold me to it

Kudos0

Sounds good, thanks! 

Kudos0

Yes, same here. I'm sorry to say that LU is no longer completing. It's a strange one because all four squares are showing yellow, but as others have found, scans are not completing. I have been testing it every day and until today it has been fine (since 'the fix') Now, although under 'Security & Virus Protection' it says it has updated, the result of scans says 'not completed'.   

Kudos0

Happy to report that LU continues to work (all green) and that Quick Scan - finally - works as well (all green)!  Good show dkane, thanks.  I'll run Quick Scan again later today and tomorrow and once Rich and others confirm that they can also run Quick Scans .. I'll be very pleased to mark the thread as solved. 

Kudos0

I have just run a Quick Scan and all appeared to work as it should.  Thank you @dkane.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hi everyone,

The LU patch was sent out to fix the Quick scan issue yesterday. Could you please run the Quick Scan and confirm if its all successful?

Thanks for your patience.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

First, my credentials: I am a hardware and software engineer with over 31 years of experience, with embedded as well as PC-based software of significant complexity. I can appreciate how difficult is can be to keep all requirements-related balls in the air at all times, as it is with the NIS product. I tend to be quite loyal, and amenable to giving help whenever and wherever I can.

My results:

First, I was starting with NIS version 21.5, resulting from an R&R of NIS due to updating issues, and intermittent errors resulting in NIS closures with auto-re-opens, as previously stated. I had brought definitions up to rev date 01/17 by running several older Intelligent Updater files. There it sat until this morning, with no errant closures or other bad indications, other than outdated definitions.

My first update attempt: I downloaded and ran the most recent Intelligent Updater file (20170216-002-v5i32.exe). The update completed with no errors, and a subsequent quickscan completed with no errors.

Next I ran 9 Live Update sessions, totaling approx. 500 Mb, each succeeded, and most required a restart to complete. After each Live Update cycle, a quickscan was run, and each completed without error. The NIS version started at 21.5.?.? and ended up at 21.7.0.11. Details of each iteration are available upon request (download sizes and number of updates in the downloads, resulting NS versions, etc.).

I suggest a couple of days of clean updates, then I will also sign on with a determination of "issue resolved."

If I may be so bold as to suggest that the coding team develop a team policy, to prevent SSE2 code from being linked into update and engine executables for legacy versions of NIS. This policy should include compiler/linker setup for new hires and refreshed workstations. I also suggest for the team to acquire and retain a non-SSE2 machine, and to verify engine and update executables for compliance, via comprehensive regression testing, before release. If I may continue to be so bold, I suggest the update process include some kind of SSE2 compatibility test, before installation of affected engine updates. We have had several potentially catastrophic events, relating to the inclusion of SSE2 code, in the last couple of years.

Finally, I wish to express my heartfelt appreciation for the effort expended to resolve this issue. I understand that affected users are members of a group of ever-diminishing size. This makes the expended effort appreciated all the more. Thanks to all involved. NIS is just about the only product left for folks like us.

Enjoy, Rich P

Kudos0

The jury is still out in my case, I'm afraid.  'The Fix' seems to be inconsistent in my case.  Whilst running LU today, it said installing 10 updates, but then it disappeared.  I ran LU again and it said 4 of 4, but didn't complete.

I am having my techie in next week to give my old desktop a thorough overhall and memory boost, and wondering about upgrading to W7, which I am happy with, as these updating problems with XP is quite worrying.  Just not sure how this would affect the files created in XP. 

Kudos0

Freddles, in my case, the virus definition fix has worked flawlessly since it was first issued on February 9th.  I have run LU manually multiple times a day without any issues.  Just ran it again, all fine.

As for quick scan, it too has worked fine since the fix was announced yesterday.  By now I have run 5-6 scans without issues, including a scan a few minutes ago.

As I tried various workarounds (before the virus definition fix), to be sure I had a good copy of NAV 21.7.0.11, I re-imaged my drive back to 2-3 days before the update problems started.  So, maybe, you have to reinstall your NAV/NIS too get a good copy on your drive.  I don't think this has anything to do with XP per se.

PS:  In case you don't have a copy of version 21.6.0.32, the last 21.x.x before Norton moved to 22.x.x, there are plenty of download links on the forum.

Kudos0

CeeBee:

PS:  In case you don't have a copy of version 21.6.0.32, the last 21.x.x before Norton moved to 22.x.x, there are plenty of download links on the forum.

Just an FYI that users can still download offline standalone installers for Norton v21.6.0.32 at www.norton.com/oldnis (NIS), www.norton.com/oldnav (NAV),  www.norton.com/oldn360 (N360) and www.norton.com/oldn360p (N360 Premium).

Steps for performing a clean reinstall of Norton v21.7 using the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) are posted in guit30's thread New NIS interface is awful.  After running the NRT you will likely see a pop-up asking you to download the latest stub installer for Norton v22.x from your Norton Account - just close the pop-up and use the offline v21.6 installer instead.

Those clean reinstall instructions will also remove other Norton products (e.g., Norton Utilities) from your system as well as the old-style local vault for Norton Identity Safe (last offered with Norton v19.x - newer online vaults are not affected) so read the warnings in those instructions before starting.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v51.0.1 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

I checked the two fixes on my old (11/1999) Thinkpad 600X (with SSE only) and it worked fine, no issues.  I did this 3-4 times and all green.

Feedback about this was posted yesterday, but it hasn't shown up.  So this is a repeat.  At any rate, I think this thread should be marked as solved and I will do so.  Again, thanks to Mohan, dkane and Norton programmers involved!

Kudos0

I concur with a "solved" determination.

Thanks to all involved in the solution.

Enjoy,

Rich P

Kudos0

Just dropping in .... Like most, the first fix fixed the original core problem, but still left with a red X on scanning. The second fix however seems to have taken, and I have a green tick (although I haven't tried any manual LU or scans). I would like to thank the Norton guys & gals for fixing this, in what is now a legacy product that keeps causing problems from time to time (albeit the cause always seems to be the same (SSE)).

Now all that's needed to fix is why the anti-spam uses 90% of my (single core) cpu for about 10 minutes every time it runs (a problem that's over 2 years old).

Twas brillig, and slithy toves did ....
Kudos0

Can you guys confirm both the LiveUpdate and QuickScan is working fine?

Please let me know if you still encounter the issue

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Not really, as per my last post, the LU is not completing although on opening Norton, 4 yellow squares are showing.  LU is showing as having completed 3  days ago, so don't know what is going on. 

Edit: Just checked the desktop again as I left it running whilst on the laptop, and despite LU showing as not having completed, clicking on 'Virus & Protection', it says 'completed 40mins ago'.  It's now running again, so will see what happens this time.

Kudos0

Are you letting LU run long enough?  It could take a bit before everything is completed if you haven't had a good virus update for awhile.  I too thought LU was stuck on my TP600X, but after a 'long while' it completed okay.  All green.

If you continue to have issues, maybe it's time to reinstall Norton along the lines of previous postings.

I have no issues whatsoever with LU and/or Quick Scans.  Tested again today on both my SSE legacy computers.

Kudos0

LiveUpdate, Intelligent Updater, and scans are all continuing to complete successfully.

Thank you,

Rich P

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.