• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Ongoing online vault login issues

I've been fobbed off by Norton since last week. On Friday it was try logging in after 24-48 hours. Now it's another 24-48 hours. There's obviously a serious problem. I've read all the platitudes from support but does anyone have an idea as to what has actually happened? Or if they're likely to fix it any time soon? I'd rather companies say "honestly, we don't have a clue" than fob me off with platitudes.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Ongoing online vault login issues

me too..they are 'having issues' hello!!!  this is unacceptable. 

Kudos0

Very frustrating indeed.  I've chatted with Norton daily explaining the same issue to each person.  Their reply is always the engineers are working hard....48-72 hours...  I think it's time to find engineers who can fix this issue.  We cannot access ID Safe on our desk top; my wife can access on her Android; but I cannot access on my Android.  The excuses are getting silly.  Norton certainly needs to be communicating with its customers on a daily basis to provide updates.  Then, they should have found a way for us to access our passwords offline.  

Kudos1 Stats

T LJ:

Very frustrating indeed.  I've chatted with Norton daily explaining the same issue to each person.  Their reply is always the engineers are working hard....48-72 hours...  I think it's time to find engineers who can fix this issue.  We cannot access ID Safe on our desk top; my wife can access on her Android; but I cannot access on my Android.  The excuses are getting silly.  Norton certainly needs to be communicating with its customers on a daily basis to provide updates.  Then, they should have found a way for us to access our passwords offline.  

agreed,the most frustrating part (for me) is i have 3 backups of my passwords but i can't access any of them because they are encrypted and i can't sign into any vault to import them back in.i don't have the app on my phone so the laptop is my only option.

Kudos0

I am dealing with the same issue. I am unable to open on my Android but have no trouble with my laptop or desktop. I have been with Norton over 15 years and this is the longest amount of time to a solution that has occurred in my experience. I wait with frustrated patience.

Kudos0

Hello

I think it might be an intermittent issue perhaps.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.9.0.71 IE 11
Kudos0

Still no access. It's been 5 days now, it's constant not intermittent. I've used Norton for 20 years and am aghast at the poor service I'm suddenly getting from them. In the past they've been great, always good with customer service & info. Now - a total reverse. I'm really unimpressed

Kudos0

I just made the very stupid mistake of actually telephoning them. After you hold for 20 minutes you get the same old fob off. Today's excuse was "we've escalated this to a level 2 technician but they won't call you fro 24-48 hours" As that's obviously complete wibble I've asked for a supervisor to call me back but I'm not holding my breath. I tried the @nortonsupport twitter account but it appears to be a bot. What a shambles

Kudos0

I'm not entirely convinced the online chat support isn't actually a bot. Either way, Norton don't seem to ahve a clue about when they'll sort this

System:  

Connecting...

System:  

Your reference number for this chat session is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Melindi Scott:  

Initial Question/Comment: I have now been locked out of my IS vault for 5 days. I have been told several times it’ll be fixed within 24-48 hours. I have now been waiting over an hour for a “supervisor” to telephone me. I am getting zero customer service from Norton

System:  

Welcome to Norton Support! A Norton Representative will be with you shortly.

System:  

For assistance with any LifeLock ® Identity Theft Protection services, please visit www.lifelock.com, or call 1-855-993-1976

System:  

Arsalaan Khan has joined this session!

System:  

Connected with Arsalaan Khan

Arsalaan Khan:  

I would be glad to assist you with your concern and I would try my best to fix this for you.

Arsalaan Khan:  

Before we proceed further could you please confirm me your full name, Norton account email address and contact number ?

Melindi Scott:  

Melindi Scott xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Arsalaan Khan:  

Thank you for the information.

Arsalaan Khan:  

Your case number is xxxxxxxxxxxxx. I request you to retain it for future references.

Melindi Scott:  

ok

Arsalaan Khan:  

Just to confirm, this email [Removed], is your active email address as well. Am I correct? If not could you please help me with active email?

Melindi Scott:  

Yes it is

Arsalaan Khan:  

Thank you for the confirmation.

Arsalaan Khan:  

My apologies for the inconvenience caused. I would like to inform you that our teams are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. The fix is still in progress but we cannot provide an exact timeline as that may change due to unforeseen issues. Meanwhile we would advise you please do not delete or recreate your Vault.

Melindi Scott:  

It has been 5 days and I am told this every day.

Arsalaan Khan:  

I understand your concern Melindi, I assure as soon as our issues are fixed we will definitely resolve your issues.

Melindi Scott:  

I was told my case had been escalated to a level 2 technician who would call me. This didn't happen. Then I was told a supervisor would call me. This didn't happen. You understand that I have now stopped believing what I'm being told? There is still no possible estaimte of time period to fix this which makes it incredibly hard for me to plan around.

Melindi Scott:  

????

Arsalaan Khan:  

Melindi, I apologies for the inconvenience as I have said our engineers are still working on the issue as soon as it will be fixed we will resolve your issue.

Melindi Scott:  

So basically, zero information, no idea at all of time scale and customer can just take a running jump? Thanks Norton. Great service. I've been a client with you guys for over 15 years and you've always had brilliant customer service. What on earth has happened to change this 100%? This is rubbish.

Arsalaan Khan:  

I apologies for the inconvenience caused to you, but I assure you when the issue will be fixed then only we will be able to help regarding the problem you are facing.

Kudos0

Finally got a decent answer from a human. 2 to 3 days ish. At least that's some decent info to work with

Kudos0

@step et all,  

Although no help to you now - it might be smart in the future to backup your log-ins in the .csv format as well as the .dat format.  The .csv format can be opened and read with a text reader such as Notepad.  Bear in mind, this method may not be as secure (not encrypted) but at least you'd be able to see them.

Kudos0

Is there anyone from Symantec engineering/marketing/sales reading these comments or is it just the Super Users? In all the combined threads on identity safe/IE-11/Security issues you have a lot of really pissed off customers posting their concerns. A formal comment from someone in management would be nice to see about these issues and the effort, or lack thereof, to get it corrected. I heard "24 hours" in chat yesterday but see where others have had 24-48 and 24-72 hours, early last week. Last week I said this was getting silly, it still is for a company like this.

Kudos0

I'd have to store it on something that could be locked in a safe I guess. I should have done that but I never predicted such issues with Norton. I'll certainly do that in future - thank you for the idea Yank.

Kudos0

It seems to be just the very helpful superusers. There's been a 0% level of concern from the company about this which seems rather odd

Kudos0

yank:

@step et all,  

Although no help to you now - it might be smart in the future to backup your log-ins in the .csv format as well as the .dat format.  The .csv format can be opened and read with a text reader such as Notepad.  Bear in mind, this method may not be as secure (not encrypted) but at least you'd be able to see them.

that's the most annoying part,befoe i did my windows 10 refresh i backed up my passwords and looked carefully at the options.i considered using the .csv option but thought to myself "nah,it won't be an issue",how wrong i was.

Kudos0

It also rather defeats the point of using a secure service

Kudos0

Password/web site access isn't a real issue as they are still online in the cloud vault you can access. The real issue is they passed down an update(s) and now the "local" vault and IE-11 are screwed up, and nobody at Symantec seems to give a rats butt about it.

Kudos1 Stats

5:00 P.M. EST

Tuesday

Feb. 28, 2017

I do not work for Norton/Google/ZDNET/MS

Please read my post 12:41 A.M. EST today. It will explain the problem/issue with IE 11. WIN 10's Edge and an IE flaw was not patched by MS according to ZDNet dated 2.27.2017.

Google Project Zero reported this bug to MS on 2.24.2016 but MS had not patched it within the 90 day deadline, so google revealed the bug. 

Bug being tracked as CVE-2017-0037

Kudos0

Hello

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/cannot-login-norton-identity-safe-online-vault

From the Announcements on top of the Forum.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.9.0.71 IE 11
Kudos0

5:20 P.M. EST

Tuesday

Feb. 28, 2017

I agree about the lack of comments from Norton. Please see my posts of 2.28.2017 12:41 P.M. as well as my most recent at approx. 5:15 P.M. EST 2.28.2017. I think it's in the Tech section under IE 11 and WIN 10's..

Kudos0

"Password/web site access isn't a real issue as they are still online in the cloud vault you can access"

Ummm ... No.  Not in my case.  I log into the "cloud" and there is nothing.  I only get a spinner icon (waiting ... waiting ...)

No data. 

I submit you are lucky that you can still access your information on the IdentitySafe.Norton.Com server.  I have nothing there and no one in Symantec interested in fixing (that I have found)

Kudos0

That was on the 24th March and since then not a squeak from Norton. The on line vault also isn't available to affected customers. It's very poor of them.

Kudos0

A possible light at the end of the tunnel? From today's regular online chat with support

=============================================================================

Ankush:  My apologies for the inconvenience caused. I would like to inform you that our teams are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. The fix is still in progress but we cannot provide an exact timeline as that may change due to unforeseen issues. Meanwhile we would advise you please do not delete or recreate your Vault.

Ankush:  Please cooperate with us.

Melindi Scott:  that's the same standard answer I get every day. I have been waiting for 6 days. What's the rough timescale here?

Ankush:  I do apologize I cannot provide you the exact time, our technicians are working hard to resolve this issue.

Melindi Scott:  So when I was told I would be hearing from a level 2 technician, was that wrong?

Ankush:  Please do not worry, you will receive a call back from level 2 agent.

Ankush:  May I please know the exact time at your location and the preferable time when you expect call from us?

Melindi Scott:  I was told that on Monday & Tuesday. I am extremely worried because my whole business relies on Norton. I am UK based and in the office from 09.00-5.00

Ankush:  I understand your concern.

Melindi Scott:  My bank manager doesn't! It's very hard to explain to clients that the super efficient identity safe service I've signed up to is actually unable to fix their issue and to make it worse Norton management are doing zero to communicate with affected clients

Ankush:  I do apologize for all the inconvenience caused to you.

Ankush:  Please contact us back after 5 hours and we will transfer your chat directly to escalation team.

Melindi Scott:  Thank you

Ankush:  Your issue can be resolved after five hours.

Ankush:  You are most welcome. Please contact us back after 5 hours.

Kudos0

False alarm. Same old, same old, another 24-48 hours. The supervisor will call you (yeah right!)

Kudos0

2:18 P.M. EST

Wednesday

March 1, 2017

By now I hope your problem/issue has been resolved. This is how Norton treats a loyal cusomer of 20 years? Geez.

I don't know who your ISP is but, I recently dumped Vz (Verizon) - the absolute pits in my area. And, I had been with Vz through their various re-incarnations/name changes since 1966 when I lived in NYC.

Just trying to help u feel better.

Kudos0

okay firefox just let me sign into my vault,how do i make a plain text backup from that please because i can't find any options for it?

i still can't sign in through chrome which i prefer and know how to do it there.

Kudos0

Well, the chat session I just ended I at least got that they understand this started the middle of last month, and they are working very hard to correct the issue. They also understand that the online vault is having issues and are working on that as well.

Kudos0

Still broken here. I shall prepare for another futile "chat"

Kudos0

No update. If I'm still experiencing issues within 48 hours etc. 

Kudos0

step:

okay firefox just let me sign into my vault,how do i make a plain text backup from that please because i can't find any options for it?

i still can't sign in through chrome which i prefer and know how to do it there.

FF extension still does not give a backup function. Maybe on the list of future features. So unless you can gain access from either IE or Chrome, you will have to wait for the fix to the current problem. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

peterweb:
step:

FF extension still does not give a backup function. Maybe on the list of future features. So unless you can gain access from either IE or Chrome, you will have to wait for the fix to the current problem. 

thanks,that's what i thought.at least the FF one is still working today.hopefully the chrome one will start working soon as well.

Kudos0

I have the issues as well, since the 14th of last month. I too had many fruitless chats ( with the 24 to 48 hour answer). But My FF is not yet alive again. FF as well as IE are just giving me that Sorry, something went wrong message. So, all I am doing is watching the chat here. And I have to admit, even though I am using Norton since the mid 90's, when it was still a DOS program,  this is the first time that I am seriously thinking about not buying a new subscription once this one is expired.

Kudos0

Update:

I did have another chat and got the following answer from the technician:

' I am regret to inform you that our ID Safe feature is undergoing enhancement” “what we can guarantee is that patches on the enhancement will be complete by end of 6th March!'

Maybe that's a little bit of hope.

Kudos0

We use coders in India as well and translated this means "we broke it big time and it will take some time to correct and test". That said, I'm puzzled how random it seems as 3 of my 4 computers, all running WIN10, got the same updates and are working just fine. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

Kudos0

My vault isn't on the website.  I get either "vault not found" or the latest "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again, if the error persists please contact customer support."  I have my local vaults on my devices but will have to reconcile them because I have different numbers of entries on each device.  This has been going on for at least 1.5 weeks.

Kudos0

Hello

Everyone should have a backup local vault.

Thanks.

Kudos0

floplot: Everyone should have a backup local vault.

FWIW ~ try KeePass...... works on my Edge, IE, Firefox & Chrome

Kudos0

Any advice on that? I use Norton because I thought that was the safest thing. What you advise backing up to and how to keep it safe? Sorry to sound clueless but I feel a compete chump for putting my belief in Norton who have no demonstrated they're just about taking the money & don't give a fig for the client.

Kudos0

Is there any more information on this?  I have been unable to login to me vault for about 24 hours.

Kudos0

I am still having this problem.  Am I the only one?

Kudos0

Not that I know of, we are all still waiting for a fix. C'mon Monday!! (reported next best guess when a fix will be rolled out)

Kudos0

Some more information.  I use Firefox.

When I enter my password I get the "Validating password" message but nothing more happens and it just stays like that with the circular icon revolving.

Interestingly, I once accidentally entered an incorrect password and I received the normal red messages saying that I had entered an incorrect password, in about the time it would, under normal circumstances, take for my password to be accepted and the vault to open.  Norton's server must have received what I entered!

Kudos0

So I found a page which states you must log off all Norton apps and login to your Norton vault. I did this and My Vault is working perfectly now.

"I cannot sign in to the Norton Identity Safe vault, as the Get started window appears again after I enter my credentials."

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113361032_En...

Kudos0

elkuznia:

So I found a page which states you must log off all Norton apps and login to your Norton vault. I did this and My Vault is working perfectly now.

"I cannot sign in to the Norton Identity Safe vault, as the Get started window appears again after I enter my credentials."

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v113361032_En...

Hi elkuznia,

You are in fact signing out of your Norton Account and then signing back into it.  Being signed into your Norton Account is a pre-requisite to signing into you ID Safe Vault.  You sign into your Norton Account and then sign into your vault.  You are basically signing out of your Norton Account and signing back in to ensure you have a cleanly opened (non-cached) Norton Account to use to sign into your Vault.

This fix has been in around for quite some time.

Kudos0

It does not fix the problem for me.

Kudos0

Hello

As far as I know, the issue still exists for the online vaults for computers.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Are you saying it for the online vaults for all computers?

Kudos1 Stats

I got my computer guy hat out and went to work.

Removed Security+ and can log into password vault. IE-11 comes up again and didn’t freeze - and has vault plug in working.

Rebooted

Reinstalled without updates and vault opens. IE-11 functional and has full Security suite functional.

Reboot and still works as advertised.

Ran Updates – had a round of 13 – IE-11 still opens, vault still logged in.

Reboot

Still works

Ran updates – no updates

Seems to be working as advertised.

My guess is the base package has been updated as there was no patch, or yet anyway, but Security+, password vault and IE-11 all seem to be working as before the spit hit the fan.

Kudos0

You are right, I am signing out of my Norton. However, I am also disabling all other Norton products before I sign into my vault. Once I did that, my Vault worked fine and so did everything else once I reinstated them.

Kudos0

ReddElk I believe you are saying follow these steps:

1.  Log out of Norton account.

2.  Disable all Norton Product.

3.  Log into vault and it will work.

If I am correct, can you please expand on what must be done in my item 2.

Kudos0

Yes, I disable them. I 'force stop' on my mobile device and then login to the Vault before I log into anything else Norton related.