• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Unauthorized Access to Process Data for Malware Bytes Program

NSBU recent update now blocks Malware Bytes access to process data, causing program to crash!!?? And NO user intervention/rules allowed?  Considering what I have paid Norton over the past 15+ years, this is an outrage!!  Is this Norton's way of trying to knock off its competition??  If so, quite unprofessional & a show-stopper for me.  I will not renew after my subscription runs out!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Unauthorized Access to Process Data for Malware Bytes Program

That's just Norton Product Tamper Protection preventing Malwarebytes from accessing Norton processes.  It should not be causing Malwarebytes to crash (however, it is possible for that to happen, although such crashes are usually the result of poorly written software, which Malwarebytes is definitely not).  Is MBAM crashing consistently?  Do the crashes continue even if you temporarily turn off Norton Product Tamper Protection?

Kudos0

I run Norton Internet Security with Backup and Malwarebytes.  I notice the problem with it denying Malwarebytes, and I have been told it isn't a problem, so I take it, that it isn't, as others have explained above my comment.  I can tell you that I run both, with absolutely no problem, so I don't believe it is Norton trying to stop Malwarebyes, in fact in the past, they have recommended it when they couldn't remove something.

Though there still seems at least for you there is a problem, which needs to be addressed.  When it is crashing, are you getting any error codes?  Have you also gone onto Malwarebytes forums to see if anyone there is having the same problem, and if not, you should share your experience, the more heads thinking about something the better.  Hopefully one of the groups will be able to help you.

Though I think, it sounds like you may need to contact both Norton and Malwarebytes and speak with an expert, as they may ask you to run some software.  I know that malwarebytes, has a event log that is in there program, and I don't know what that logs, but maybe it might have some insight, as to what is going on and they may ask you for that log.

Please keep us updated.  I know it is a pain, but give them some time and write to those forums and to the companies, both are very good, Malwarebytes has been very helpful, when version 3.0 came out and it was so buggy it was crashing everything, they worked with me, to solve the problem.  They also offered to roll me back, to ver 2.0 for a few weeks while they were working on all the bugs that they were getting so I could have protection and then I could upgrade it in week or two when they thought they would have it fix.

I hope you find what you need.

Kudos0

The fact that many are reporting that Norton is now logging Malwarebytes in Tamper Protection history means that the crashes reported by the OP in this thread could be (and probably are) completely unrelated to Norton.  Norton would be logging Malwarebytes whether the program was crashing or not, and the fact that others are not reporting crashes would suggest the crashes are likely due to some other cause.