• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

My Services (correct) My Devices (wrong)

Having just renewed multiple devices onto a new key, I now see My Devices is wrong as it shows one of them as Not Protected though it's fine on that device itself and My Services is correct for all.

It seems to happen every time we renew (like, over many years now) and My Devices is often a load of nonsense c.f. My Services. Are Norton ever going to fix this bug?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: My Services (correct) My Devices (wrong)

Especially as you used a new key, it can take time for each computer to register correctly with the Devices page. I know the Services page gets updated right away, and I wish I could explain why this happens. But that is way above my pay grade.

I can suggest a couple of things to help force the Devices page to update.

Try opening Norton Security, NS, click on Help - Subscription Status. That should sync with the Norton servers. It may still take a little while, and you have to do this on all computers showing incorrectly.

Another issue I ran into is that I could not enable Remote Management on a fresh install of my NS. What helped update the Devices page was to open NS, click on the More Norton - Manage, then Manage my Subscription. Logging into my Norton Account from here enabled my Remote Management setting and updated the Devices page. Again, you would have to do this on each computer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi Peter - OK done both of those - still the same but I'll check back in tomorrow and report back.

Says it's fine on the device in question itself so I'll hope that's the actual truth. Not very confidence building behaviour though...!

Kudos0

The green check mark on the Norton icon in the system tray is what you want to see to ensure you are protected.

And have you checked that the Remote Management setting in Administrative Settings is turned on?

As you say, the issue with the Devices page has been going on for what seems to be forever. No idea why they cannot get it right. They have been updating the Norton Management pages recently, and I was hoping this Devices page issue could have been addressed. Let's just hope they have not messed up the new Services page that was always the one you could count on for being correct.

Let us know if you see any change tomorrow.

Kudos0

Yes, Remote Management is on.

I'll report back tomorrow evening if it's updated itself or not.

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

This morning My Services still correct My Devices still wrong - currently showing 2 of the 4 devices as Issue Found using a Trial Key (which they're not). Any other ideas?

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

Try going to the Devices page and deleting the incorrect items from that page. Click on the device and then click the trash can. Then go to the devices and open Norton Security and click Help - Subscription Status to try to sync the information.

Kudos0

Well now it's back to as it was last night with 3 showing OK and 1 showing Not Protected. Each time I've logged in today it's shown something different with 2 of 4 randomly showing as Trial Licence! (which 2 alternated!!). I think this My Devices page is just showing random rubbish.

If I delete on the trash can in the My Devices does it not uninstall things????

Kudos2 Stats

DavidCoffield:

If I delete on the trash can in the My Devices does it not uninstall things????

Hi DavidCoffield:

Deleting a device from the My Devices page won't uninstall any software.  I deleted up a few of these unprotected devices that were associated with a Trial license a few days ago and haven't noticed any issues. Even if you accidentally delete an installation seat by clicking "Remove License" on the My Services page, it won't uninstall your software - you can just reactivate the installed software by re-entering your product key in your Norton interface. 

Here's a few hints that might help when you log into your Norton Account at https://my.norton.com/home/index to manage your devices.  Just make sure you have Remote Management turned on (Settings | Administrative Settings | Remote Management) in your Norton software on when you test each device.

• When you click the PROTECTED link for the device from My Devices, it should show you the product name (e.g., Norton Security Premium) the number of days remaining in your subscription, and your current product key. If the information doesn't match your current license and product key go ahead and delete the device.
  • The name of the device in My Devices should match the name of the corresponding device in your Norton interface at Help |  General Information |  About | Device Name.  If you rename the device in your Norton Account the device name in your Norton interface at Help |  General Information |  About | Device Name will also change once your device is synced with your account (e.g. Help | My Account | Subscription Status).

Here's what happened when I changed the generic name that Norton assigned to my HP Pavilion dv6835ca Vista SP2 machine to a more meaningful "HP Vista SP2" in my Norton Account:

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1 * NS Premium v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Still wrong this morning. The 3 that are correct show the new licence key in their entries in My Devices. The 1 that's wrong still shows the expired licence key and Not Protected. Though on that laptop itself and in My Services all is well, and for the other 3. If I try and delete the device in My Devices it doesn't seem to go away. If I try and rattle in the new licence key it just circles forever. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Kudos0

DavidCoffield:

...If I try and delete the device in My Devices it doesn't seem to go away. If I try and rattle in the new licence key it just circles forever. Any other ideas?

Hi DavidCoffield:

I've never had a problem deleting a device from My Devices, but as peterweb pointed out there have been ongoing issues with My Devices for a while now so your issues aren't unique.

I don't know if this would help, but logging in to my Norton Account from my Norton interface at Help | Account Information | My Norton sometimes works better than if I log in from my browser by browsing to https://my.norton.com/home/index.

First try the following.  Confirm that Remote Management (Settings | Administrative Settings | Remote Management) is turned on in the settings of your "problem" laptop. Log in to your Norton Account from your Norton interface at Help | Account Information | My Norton and then re-sync your account from your Norton interface (Help | Account Information | Subscription Status).   That often works, but if the status for the device in your Norton Account at My Devices doesn't appear as PROTECTED and you still can't delete the "unprotected" device then click the NOT PROTECTED link to view the license details and try to enter your current 25-digit product key again from the Enter a Different Key link.

Alternately, you could start from scratch and deactivate and then re-activate the license on your laptop to see what happens. Log in to your Norton Account from your Norton interface at Help | Account Information | My Norton, go to My Norton | My Services, and then deactivate your "problem" laptop by removing the license - see the image below. (Note: you can find the computer name for your laptop at Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System or use the Windows logo key + Pause key shortcut from your keyboard).  After you re-boot your laptop Norton should report that your system is no longer protected, but you can re-activate Norton on your laptop by entering your product key in your Norton interface (Help | Account Information | Enter Product Key). Perform another account sync (Help | Account Information | Subscription Status) and then log into your Norton Account from the Norton interface to see if there is a new device for your laptop that now says PROTECTED.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1 * NS Premium v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Hi,

Nope, none of that worked either. The one that shows as Not Protected still has my previous licence key showing. Rattling in the new one (into it in My Devices) it just circles and never comes back. It won't delete either. It's all OK on the laptop itself and all OK in My Services.

The one that's problematic on My Devices was the first one I entered the new key into on renewal. The device name on the app itself on the laptop itself and with the new licence key is all OK but the same device name on My Devices is still at the old licence key. The other three I installed in sequence right after it are all OK on My Devices and, as I say, everything is OK in My Services.

I had a Norton Chat and the lad I spoke to said not to worry the engineers are looking to fix all this by Friday. I don't know whether that's true or just call centre waffle but I'll leave it until the weekend.

It's very annoying though and whoever's in charge of My Devices should hang their head in shame - it's very poor work.

Appreciate you guys trying to help though. I'll report back later in the week.

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

DavidCoffield:

Hi,

Nope, none of that worked either. The one that shows as Not Protected still has my previous licence key showing. Rattling in the new one (into it in My Devices) it just circles and never comes back. It won't delete either. It's all OK on the laptop itself and all OK in My Services.

The one that's problematic on My Devices was the first one I entered the new key into on renewal. The device name on the app itself on the laptop itself and with the new licence key is all OK but the same device name on My Devices is still at the old licence key. The other three I installed in sequence right after it are all OK on My Devices and, as I say, everything is OK in My Services.

I had a Norton Chat and the lad I spoke to said not to worry the engineers are looking to fix all this by Friday. I don't know whether that's true or just call centre waffle but I'll leave it until the weekend.

It's very annoying though and whoever's in charge of My Devices should hang their head in shame - it's very poor work.

Appreciate you guys trying to help though. I'll report back later in the week.

Thanks,

David

As I run one of my 5 licenses in a Virtual Machine for testing, I often end up removing and resetting the snapshot I create which leads to having to reinstall Norton when needed. I run into this issue quite often actually with "My Devices". I have found what works best at least for me at this time until they clear up the issue with the sync and webpage, is to open the product itself on the device, click help, underneath your signed in user name on the product, and under "account information" click my Norton, and you will be prompted to sign-in. For some reason doing this via the product has helped clear up this issue of not being recognized in my devices. 

Kudos1 Stats

DavidCoffield:

I'm voting for 

Kudos0

illumination - that didn't work I'm afraid - unless there's a time lag between you doing it and it sorting itself...

lmacri - that made me LOL - I work in IT and I mostly know IT waffle when I hear it but there's always the possibility of being pleasantly surprised

I'll give it a few days and see over the weekend. I have this notion on the one that's (allegedly) "Not Protected" Norton just disables itself at some point when I'm not looking kind of thing and my PC is open to the world for hours or something. I don't know whether that's possible or not but us OCD leaning folk think like that...

I'll check in in a few days.

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

Well. I came home today to the answering machine flashing. Turned out to be Norton Technical Support checking if my issue was all fixed now. Oh ho! Optimistically went upstairs, laptop on, logged in and... drum roll... no, it's not. So "the engineers" that were "fixing it by Friday" have fixed hee haw. In fact, another random one of the 4 devices is now showing it has a Trial Licence. Meanwhile, back in My Services, and on the devices themselves all seems to be well. Why is My Devices so random?!

So I might brave another "chat" (who is it thinks that's a good way to do Tech Suppport btw, it's dire?????) tomorrow and then I might just give up. As I can imagine the code behind this stuff why on earth is it that difficult for them to make it work? A first year CS student could code better SQL.

I'll report back post "chat".

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

DavidCoffield:

illumination - that didn't work I'm afraid - unless there's a time lag between you doing it and it sorting itself...

I'll give it a few days and see over the weekend. I have this notion on the one that's (allegedly) "Not Protected" Norton just disables itself at some point when I'm not looking kind of thing and my PC is open to the world for hours or something. I don't know whether that's possible or not but us OCD leaning folk think like that...

I'll check in in a few days.

Thanks,

David

Each time i have gotten it to take either via the product or by the website itself, has been with determination, sometimes takes a few attempts kinda thing. I have been successful doing it via the product and also copying the key and entering it on the device where it says trial and enter new key, then refreshing the page a few times, it takes generally after a couple attempts both ways.  The issue is as mentioned the website itself. As long as you have the "green Check Mark" and are staying signed in on the product itself, your good. 

Kudos0

Hi,

OK but if the "easy-to-use web portal" doesn't work and isn't functionally reliable then the product itself is compromised because the content of the My Devices page appears to be the springboard to, for example, the security stuff on your mobile phone. So if it randomly decides that something is Not Protected or is on a Trial Key etc then you have no means of using the product as intended, if you lose your phone, say. They seriously need to get their arses in gear and sort this. It seems to have been going on for years and previously it didn't really matter but for the springboard reason it now very much does I think, especially for mobiles.

Anyway, I'll "chat" with them later today and revisit some of your suggestions also.

Thanks,

David

Kudos1 Stats

OK, progress, perhaps. 4 devices in My Services, 4 devices in My Devices. To fix the Not Protected (though it is) one the agent got me to redownload via Add Device having deleted it first. Sceptical I was, because I didn't want to reinstall and I don't think it actually did reinstall, but somehow it appears to have worked.

Also, the one that shows Trial Licence now doesn't but it still shows an Issue but doesn't tell me what it is!!!!

This was how the agent started the conversation.

"With the launch of the new Norton portal, you may see incorrect devices being displayed, or incorrect status for your existing devices. The incorrect information is prominently visible in the main page ".

I asked why would you put something so buggy into Production, which wasn't answered...

Cheers,

David

Kudos0

The latter part of your interaction does surprise me. The more time I am around this forum, the more aware I am becoming that this fortune 500 company has become to big for its britches, and actually do not care for their customers. The portal not syncing correctly, while not diminishing main protection could cause issues as you stated.
Kudos0

Indeed. It was a painful half hour interaction. It's now got one showing red but click on it and there's no issues and one showing green click on it and there is an issue (but it doesn't tell me what it is!) I mean, FFS, do they do ANY testing on this stuff or is it some pointy haired moron trying to make their release date so lets just shove it out the door ready or not.

It also keeps telling me my licence (overall) has expired. Yes, true, I know that, thanks. That's why I bought a new one and put all the devices over onto that one. Join the basic dots please.

So anyway My Devices is not to be trusted for now so if you guys get any more "me"s along here...

Never sure whether you guys report up the tree or not or whether you're just nice folk helping out but that one needs to go up the tree if you have a means. I might even write them a nice old fashioned letter if I can find their UK address and its not a kid on address in a cupboard near Heathrow.

Thanks,

David

Kudos0

Never sure whether you guys report up the tree or not or whether you're just nice folk helping out but that one needs to go up the tree if you have a means. I might even write them a nice old fashioned letter if I can find their UK address and its not a kid on address in a cupboard near Heathrow.

Hi, David. Gurus do have Symantec contacts, but Symantec are aware of the issues regarding the Devices/Services portal issues.

Fwiw, I wouldn't bother writing to Symantec..................

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

OK. Got there in the end. I think. Thanks all for your help.

Kudos0

I still cannot understand why the Device name in the My Devices window isn't the same as the Devicename  (=Windows Comptername) in the drop-downlist in the My Services window.
As I always make my Computername in Windows significant for a certain machine, it is the easiest change to make. Even if you do not make the devicename significant in Windows, it still tells you more about the specific machine in the My Devices window,

W10 Fall CU / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 56 & 57, TB 52.5, NS 22.11.2.7, (Android 4.2 with NMS)
Kudos0

I can't explain why Norton has chosen to do this, but the Services page uses the Computer Name you gave in Windows. For the Devices page, Norton somehow comes up with a name that seems to include your OS, ie Windows 10 and then a number to differentiate the different Windows 10 devices. You can see the name Norton chooses for the Devices page by opening your Norton Security app and clicking Help - About. the name is at the top of that screen.

Kudos0

Sorry Peterweb, i think i just described that all. I know all that, but do not understand the choices of Norton.
I do not have all the 15 devices on my licenses at my disposal here eveytime, so it's very difficult to see the devicename in Norton on the machine itself.
And.....it should not be neccesary to look in two places to know what you are administering. That's not logical!!

My post is maybe something like a proposal to make the devicename equal to the computername in Windows in both places.

W10 Fall CU / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 56 & 57, TB 52.5, NS 22.11.2.7, (Android 4.2 with NMS)
Kudos0

And no one here can figure out why Norton has decided not to use the same names for both pages. If they can do it once, they should be able to do it consistently. 

We have been suggesting this for years. We will probably get it when we get the local vault.back.   

Kudos0

Possibly because if when you buy a new computer and you give it the same name as the old one then they'd wind up having two licences with the same name. I always imaginatively call mine "David". Until that twigged and now I, equally imaginatively, stick a number after "David" to keep them "unique"...

Cheers,

David 

Kudos0

DavidCoffield:

Possibly because if when you buy a new computer and you give it the same name as the old one then they'd wind up having two licences with the same name

Hi DavidCoffield:

I cleaned up My Services and My Devices about a week ago with the assistance of someone from Norton Customer Service [see my thread Unused Installation Seats Illegally Activated (Again)], and it appeared that the names of at least a few of the devices used information stored in my Norton Account at https://my.norton.com/home/index (Account Settings | Personal Information).

Two of the three devices started with the initial part of my e-mail address (i.e., before the "@" sign) that I use to log in to my Norton Account.  The third could have been either my first name from my Norton Account or my Windows machine name since both are identical.

At the time the above screenshot was taken on 26-Apr-2017 I had NIS v22.9.1.12 installed on a Vista SP2 laptop, so I have no idea why all three of the devices in My Devices were identified as Windows 8.1 machines.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

At the time the above screenshot was taken on 26-Apr-2017 I had NIS v22.9.1.12 installed on a Vista SP2 laptop, so I have no idea why all three of the devices in My Devices were identified as Windows 8.1 machines.

Why does that not surprise me ? @lmacri

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

I just entered a suggestion the Product Suggestions section. Please Kudo as much a possible...

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/combine-devices-and-services-dial...

Regards, Hugo

Kudos0

Please refrain from soliciting kudos for your posts. That said, I appreciate that you have brought his suggestion to the Product Suggestions board for review.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Ok Tony, but I can stil bring my Product Suggestions to the attention of people in this thread, I hope? They cope with the 'problem'.

Kudos0

Yep, that's fine. Thanks.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi all,

I'd like to contribute the following to this thread, although it is tangential.

I noted similar discussion to that above (and added my own) on another thread (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/accounts-devices-missing-device#c...).

My own contribution there was critical of Norton but hardly, I'd assert, over-the-top.

I tried to check my seats today (Saturday 17th June, say 12:45 PM Brisbane, Australia, Time). At first, I signed into my Norton Account from the app (Help>My Norton). I arrived on the "Account Settings" page on the "My Subscriptions" tab. The pull-down menu under "My Norton" there didn't show "My Services", rather "My Devices, Download Norton, Automatic Renewal Settings, My Subscriptions". (My current subscription expires in a day or two, so maybe there's a connection). 

Being cunning, I navigated to my Norton Account's sign-in page from a google search and landed on a (different-looking) "Account Settings" page. No tabs here. The pull-down menu under "My Norton" here did show "My Services", but every time* I clicked on it (*several times I signed out of the account, then back in, and clicked on this "My Settings" link) it directed me to the "Account Settings / My Subscriptions" page with its very different pull-down menu for "My Norton".

I've tried to start a new thread (with photos, which I won't put here to avoid clutter) but, after submitting, found myself on another page with a note that "thread number something" had been created. However, I can't find that thread. I can't recall whether there's a delay in newly-created threads being published.

If anyone on this thread can help me with my initial query (what gives with the missing "My Services" link?) and the next logical one (where is the thread I just created?) I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

ausgumbie

EDITED: For greater clarity and accuracy 17 Jun 2017, 1500 Brisbane, Australia.

Kudos0

FOOTNOTE TO LAST POST:

Sorry all, Editing option has timed out on my last post. I just wanted to add I've tried a second time to start a new thread (Where has the "My Services" Link in my Norton Account Gone?) specific to my issue. I seem to have had success, it appears in my profile as a created post (which didn't occur with the first attempt), although its images are currently under moderation. When it appears on the "Norton Security" page, I'll post a link to it.

While I'm certainly seeking input from this thread's readers, I'd obviously prefer discussion about my issue to be on a separate thread and not hijacking this one.

Thanks

ausgumbie.

Kudos1 Stats

The thread with the photos may be in moderation because of the photos. 'Newer' forum members can have posts with links or images delayed until a moderator can verify that there is nothing malicious or illegal in the links or images.

As for the differences in the My Services vs My Subscriptions. I am only guessing, but it could be when the web site was redesigned, they may have missed something between the different methods of accessing the site. ie through your Norton product vs directly accessing through a browser.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Thanks peterweb and yank

I see my second go at starting a separate thread is now listed on the Norton Security page, although the pictures are still "in moderation". Hopefully, they'll be "fit-to-be-visible" soon, as they illustrate what I, and yank, have seen.

Meantime, the second image in yank's post to Re: Where has the "My Services" Link in my Norton Account Gone? (https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7503921#comment-7503921) is essentially the third image of my OP there.

Anyhow, thanks to the OP of, and contributors to, the present thread for "hosting" my query. Could I ask that any further discussion of my posts of 16 June 2017 take place on: Where has the "My Services" Link in my Norton Account Gone? (https://community.norton.com/en/forums/where-has-my-services-link-my-nor...).

Cheers

ausgumbie

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.