• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Family Notifications: Your child has turned off permissions for Norton Family to monitor

Greetings,

I have seen the following alert/notification "Your child has turned off permissions for Norton Family to monitor" several times.  I have changed my account password and PIN, however I continue to see this message.  Can someone help me determine if this message is triggered in error or is my son indeed manipulating his device  to turn off North Family.

Device:  Samsung Galaxy Tab A (Model SM-T580)

Android Version:  6.0.1

Thanks.

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Family Notifications: Your child has turned off permissions for Norton Family to monitor

I also forwarded this info via email--

I have a theory about what may be happening.  It appears the product works perfectly up until the device is turned off or restarted after one of the rules has been invoked.  Restarting the device appears to override some Norton Family rules and throw the error message - Your child has turned off permissions for Norton Family to monitor. 

My son’s tablet is set to download updates overnight which appears to be around the time I see the notifications.  I am assuming some of these updates restart the device.

While I was playing with the tablet last night, everything appeared to work perfectly.  Norton is set to only allow 2 hours of usage daily and prevent any access after 10:00 PM.  Once this threshold was reached, Norton functioned as expected.  However, after powering the device off and turning it back on--I regained access to the device.  Notably, the notification appeared in the log-- Your child has turned off permissions for Norton Family to monitor. 

My theory is it must do something with power cycling the device during times when one of the thresholds has been reached e.g. maximum daily time allowed etc. 

Kudos0

Re: Norton Family Notifications: Your child has turned off permissions for Norton Family to monitor

Thanks Holmes.  Great theory!  But, you know, like I tell my customers when something  doesn't work correctly or go as planned, "You shouldn't have to know how it works, just that it does."  Norton should fix it ... or not sell it if it doesn't work.  Apparently this is a low priority item for Norton that they are selling on a daily basis an item that the customer is trying to figure out what's wrong with it and how to fix it.

Kudos0

This problem created a lot of tension between my son and I at first as I thought he was deliberately doing something.  Considering we have been going back and forth with this issue for sometime - I decided last night to take some time and try to figure out what is going on.  On a side note - I am a software development product manager (go figure - lol).  

I hope Norton picks up the ball and runs with it from this point.

Kudos0

Hi holmesj,

Thanks for the additional information.  I've forward this to the engineering team, so they can check further on the issue.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Hi campassi,

Thanks for the input.  Norton Family has been investigating this since the issue was first reported in the forum.  I've forward the additional information from user "holmesj" to the engineering team so they can investigate the issue further.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

Out of curiosity, has there been any progress made on this topic and my theory of power cycling the device to get around some of the security settings that then triggers the alert message?

Also, as a recommended product enhancement, why not consider disabling the ability for a child account to delete browsing history in the Norton browser?  This functionality should be reserved exclusively for a parent sign in.  

Thanks.  

Kudos0

Hi holmesj,

Thanks for your patience.  I'll check with our engineering team on the issue.

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie
Kudos0

This is identical to the issue that happened with my daughter's Android phone this month.  I tried working with Norton Family on it, because I really want to use their app, but they instantly said my daughter must have known my passcode and uninstalled the app.  Obviously the app was not uninstalled.  Norton--can you not fix this issue?

Kudos0

Hi Monica, I have been working with Norton since 12/2016.  Thus far, no resolution.  From personal observations, I am confident that the software is defective.  

Kudos0

Are you still using the software despite the problem?  I can't find any other product that will lock out text and phone calls the way Norton can.  Thanks!

Kudos0

Yes, despite these shortcomings - I continue to use Norton.  I have come to realize that the product is by no means perfect, however I do see some benefits, particularly when I pair Norton Family with the devices security/restriction features.  Notably, I do hope Norton's software engineers will also do their part and continue to enhance the product.

Lastly, I also use other Norton Products (e.g. anti virus), thereby I enjoy the simplicity of having an integrated software solution.  

Kudos0

Hi Monica,

Have you tried the steps below as suggestion in my previous post in the thread?  

Please find the details below to turn ON all the permissions in child device

Steps to follow:

1. Open device Settings->Apps
  2. Select Norton Family->Tap on permissions
  3. Make sure the following permissions are enabled
  • Contacts
  • Storage
  • Telephone

Thanks

Katie

Thanks Katie

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.