• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NS crashes.

Norton Security crashes when I try to scan files with File Insight if this files marked as safe. I had this issue some weeks ago and tried to reinstall Norton and all works fine some days but today this thing happens again. Restart solve this issue but it happens later anyway. Also I think that it happens only with files marked as safe because I don't see any crashes when I use File Insight on some other file (not marked as safe). And I don't have this issue with previous NS 22.8, only with this new 22.9...I have Windows 10 Home x64 and NS 22.9.1.12

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NS crashes.

Yes! I can confirm the same issue on my PC, NS crash every single time when I run File Insight scan and click on any application on the list.

(Windows 10 Home X64 and NSBU 22.9.1.12)

Screen below: 

This crash on the screen pop up when I clicked on chrome.exe marked as good.

Kudos0

I see the same thing. So it is not just non English version issue this time.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

peterweb:

I see the same thing. So it is not just non English version issue this time.

Yep, 3 different locations... I want to say that this new 22.9 release has pretty much bugs.

Kudos0

Thanks for reporting this issue.

I'll look into this and pass it to the team.

I'll reach out to you if I need additional information.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Mohan_G:

Thanks for reporting this issue.

I'll look into this and pass it to the team.

I'll reach out to you if I need additional information.

Thanks. Sorry for offtopic but can you also pay attention on problem with CPU and Memory usage in Graphs? https://community.norton.com/en/forums/cpu-usage-not-showing. I want to note that Memory usage is also don't work there...

Kudos0

Hi @Vitalik93, @got3n & @peterweb,
I've sent you a Private Message requesting logs, Please check it when you get a chance.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

@Mohan_G Done!

Kudos0

@Mohan_G

Just tried to reproduce the issue and could not at this time. Will try again later.

Kudos0

Sorry. Still unable to reproduce the issue. I have restarted a couple of times and run LiveUpdates since I originally verified the problem.

Kudos0

peterweb:

Sorry. Still unable to reproduce the issue. I have restarted a couple of times and run LiveUpdates since I originally verified the problem.

Restarting won't help in this situation.  I think only shutting down and turning on then could help to reproduce it.

Kudos0

My comment about restarting was that it may have affected why I no longer see the issue. Are you suggesting that Windows Fast Startup may be involved? If so, I have had that feature disabled since I originally installed Win 10. So for my system, restarting, or shutting down and starting again perform the same complete shutdown/restart process.

BTW Sitll unable to reproduce the issue.

Kudos0

Peterweb, I mean that maybe restarting temporally solve this issue. I've got Fast Startup enabled by the way but it seemed that this feature can't cause this thing, because you had it even if it is disabled...
Kudos0

Peterweb, I mean that maybe restarting temporally solve this issue

Yes. That is the point I was trying to make. 

AND....I was just able to reproduce the issue. 

Getting ready to submit.

@Mohan_G

EDIT

Done

Kudos0

hey I have a similar problem..no one from symantec answered me!!

I upgraded to an SSD..and she continued to have this f@#in@ problem with this Norton security, how the hell is that possible?

new ssd (samsung 850) + windows 10 AU last patch (clean install)

Norton and continues to have the crash...........!!!!!!!!!!! PLS symantec you answer me????????????????

sorry to say,I am a loyal customer Norton from 2005...until today! 

but I'm thinking to buy a competitor's product!

I don't know what to give me the most trouble,the fact that Norton constantly crashes ( when i close the app) or
 the fact that I opened two threads in this forum !! and I got zero responses from symantec!

Kudos0

Hello georgi mihaylov 91

This is mainly a user to user Forum. Sometimes a Symantec Employee might get involved.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.1.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

This is the final confirmation norton that is the problem!! not my computer.

before i have hdd + windows ! new i have SSD+windows (clean install) and I HAVE SAME PROBLEM ?

I do not make any more comments in this thread! i go with kaspersky

LoL

Kudos0

Any new news about this issue?

Kudos0

Same thing happens to me every time.

Kudos0

I spoke about this issue with Symantec employee and they're currently working on the fix for this. We need to just hope it will be fixed on the next new version of Norton Security.

Kudos0

I just got updated to the newest version of Norton Security 22.9.3.13 and I will try reproduce this issue to see if it's still exist or has been fixed. (At this moment I cannot reproduce it which is good sign) Will try again later for a couple of days/weeks.

Of course I will post information after my tests but hopefully everything is good now.

Kudos0

After today's updates Norton Security have become very unstable and quite frankly, unusable....
Kudos0

Well, after few tries I still manage to reproduce this issue with File Insight again so obviously this hasn't been fixed in new 22.9.3 version of Norton Security.

Kudos0

Mrs.Carmody:
After today's updates Norton Security have become very unstable and quite frankly, unusable....

Can you be a little more specific? Does your NS crash, and if so what are you doing when it crashes, and what error message do you see?

Kudos0

The first thing I notice is that Windows gets very slow and that NS stops checking files that's downloaded. For example google chrome. Then i get an error message that NS stopped working or that NS can't check the files, or a message that the file is "uncommon" (Google Chrome...) For me the problems started on Monday. Up until then I never had these issues.
Kudos0

Have you restarted your computer a couple of times since the Norton update? And did you get the new version 22.9.3.13?

Is there an example of a file you are downloading that is 'uncommon'?

Kudos0

Yes, four restarts with as many updates. I have the correct version now and it seems to work w/o crashing but sadly, can also report that NS DOES NOT scan downloaded files anymore.
Kudos0

My Downlowads Insight works fine. Checked yesterday after update on Nvidia Experience installer.
Kudos0

@Vitalik93 Check this more carefully because yesterday I was trying to reproduce this issue and at the begining everything was fine and then I tried it like 10x times or more and got several restarts before I was able to do it.

So this File Insight problem isn't solved yet.

Kudos0

I just did a clean install of win 10 and NS and tried to download the legit office 2016 installer from my ms account and NS file insight did not scan the file at all, let along even mention it as 'uncommon' So it's not working. No more updates @ liveupdate either. Guess I just have to wait
Kudos0

Mrs.Carmody

If you did a clean install, for your Norton install did you run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available? This is especially important with a completely fresh install.

Are you sure your Download Insight is not working, or is it just the pop out in the lower right corner is not displaying? Check your Norton History, and in the drop down list at the top choose Download Insight to see the detections that have been made.

Kudos0

@peterweb; I just did a new fresh install of windows and ns and did a restart after every LU even if not promted. And behold, it seems to work now. It shows the correct version and insight scans the files. Now I only hope it will remain functional and not crash again.
Kudos0

Let us know if you do have more trouble.

Kudos0

Just a quick update:

After I updated my Norton to the latest version 22.9.4.8 I still manage to reproduce this issue with File Insight so obviously this hasn't been fixed in this newest version.

Still waiting for the fix....

Kudos1 Stats

For now it looks like as with the newest 22.10 version of Norton this issue with File Insight has been fixed. At this moment I cannot reproduce it which is good sign. Will try again later for a couple of days/weeks. Of course I will post information if I still manage to do it but hopefully everything is good now.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.