• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton wont open after update

Why wont Norton open.New update seems to be causing this.What do I do

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton wont open after update

Have you restarted your computer a couple of times since the update?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Removed and reinstalled.Problem solved.Yay

Kudos0

I've had this problem with Identity Safe (desktop app) for weeks.  I removed & reinstalled and that worked for about 1 day, then the problem recurred.  It just does nothing when I try to run it. It won't run. I don't know what else to do.

Kudos0

I had that at the weekend.  I'll bet your wee taskbar icon had disappeared also.

"Yay" wasn't the word I used...

Kudos0

SherriW I've had this problem with Identity Safe (desktop app) for weeks.

Do you have the "stand alone ID safe" installed or a full Norton product? Or both? Thanks.

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Kudos0

Well, I think now I have both.  I think that I used to just have a stand alone ID safe, and ran it as a desktop app, have used it for years.  Now it seems I also have Norton Internet Security.  I did read somewhere just a short while ago that you can't run the stand-alone version if you also have a full product?  Is that true? Can I deactivate the full product so that I can run ID safe? I'm not sure how or when that got installed. But if I'd known that would prevent me from running ID safe I wouldn't have done it.

Kudos0

SherriW  Indeed the two running concurrent with one another creates issue. Current Norton products have moved from local vaults out to vaults in the cloud. Your local vault backups should be on the computer. Remove the stand alone ID and reboot the computer. Sign into your Norton product account through the dashboard. If there is an online vault you will be asked for a login. If there isn't create one. You can use your old vault backup dat files to update the vault from there.

I have included a reference thread for a previous solution for you as well.

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6309071#comment-6309071

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows Server 2016 Essentials / Windows 10 Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.418 / N360 Deluxe 22.19.8.65 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.11 / Opera GX
Kudos0

Thank you so much.  I'll take a look at that and try that!

Kudos0

You are most welcome SherriW. Please refer to @peterweb and @floplot for further assistance. Have a great day.

Kudos0

SherriW

I think that I used to just have a stand alone ID safe, and ran it as a desktop app, have used it for years.  Now it seems I also have Norton Internet Security.

You do not remember installing Norton Internet Security? Do you have another security program installed? 

Kudos0

Well, I don't remember installing it the first time, but I guess I did! But it didn't seem to be a problem until a few weeks ago.  I do know that when I uninstalled Identity Safe & went through the process of reinstalling, I saw that it ended up installing a full version of Norton security that I wasn't expecting; I really just cared about the ID Safe. Yes, I have McAfee, too.  My husband did ask a couple weeks ago why I have both, and I really don't know the answer to that, either. I really just want the stand-alone ID Safe that I can run by using the desktop app which will stay open all day, instead of having to go sign in on the Norton website, which times out/logs me out and I have to keep re-logging into.

Kudos0

It is definitely not recommended to have more than one real time anti virus installed at the same time. It could be causing some of the problems you are seeing. If you want to keep McAfee, then you need to fully remove Norton . Download and run the Norton Removal tool from   www.norton.com/nrt

It is possible that it might also uninstall the Identity Safe app, but your vault will be safe as it is stored online.

So after you uninstall Norton, let us know if you are still having problems.

Kudos0

But I don't want to uninstall the Identity Safe app; that's the one I want to keep & be able to run.... Is there a way to keep that and get rid of the rest?

Kudos0

I just noted that Identity Safe might be uninstalled by the Norton Removal Tool . The point is that if you want to remove Norton to use McAfee, you need to fully remove it. If you just remove Norton Security from Windows control panel, there is still some information left behind in case you decide to install Norton again at a later date. Even these remnants can interfere with any other security program. 

If Identity safe does get uninstalled, it is easy to just reinstall that from the Identity Safe web site.

Kudos0

Ah, Ok.  Thank you!  I will do that, then.

Kudos0

Since the update.  When I clocked on the icon my Norton wouldn't start.  It would happen when the computer is restarted.  I've had this happen twice already and had to reinstall it twice.  What is going on?!  So not cool.

Anybody have any ideas on what is going on?

Kudos0

Hello Nessa30

Which Norton product are you trying to start?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.19.8.65 Core Firmware 282 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Nessa30

After the update, did you restart the computer a few times as noted in the Product Update Announcement here.

Note: You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version in all the operating systems

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.