• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos1 Stats

trojan.gen.8 /false?

looks like every new file gets trojan.gen.8 .
Norton is removing alot of new .exe files from my pc this week
even new drivers from MSI my motherboard al flagged as gen 8
a game update gone gen.8
something is going very wrong over there with the trojan.gen.8 thing

5 in 1 week

File Attachment: 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: trojan.gen.8 /false?

Blanchy Jean-Pierre: 
The real problem of this kind of analysis is .... too many false positives and moreover repetitive ones for the same software editor  exe file which already was proven as ... false positive.
I think Symantec should make exceptions for those legal software makers distributed by serious and earnest platforms rather than the actual ridiculous and finally dangerous way of working.

> software authors / vendors may request 'whitelist' and users may report as 'false positive'.
https://submit.symantec.com/whitelist/

Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the Software are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape.

Users may Exclude software known safe by user & trusted by user.

no comment Re: trojan.gen.8 /false?

Kudos0

Maybe that's the difference between 6 or 7 softwares detecting Trojan Gen 8 or other names ... while all others don't detect them as they already noticed it was unuseful ... as the difference between a real Trojan and a false positive can't be found with precision.

Or maybe the ones that did not detect anything may not have a similar detection tech to try to detect zero day infections.

No one wants to have false positive detections, but it is better than just allowing a real infection to get into your computer by being too conservative. As bjm_ notes, you can report the false positive detection to help Norton better deal with that specific software.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Ok ... as I may understand there's one only real solution ... ask the authors to request a "whitelist" ... as some may update their softwares very regularly ( new working way of many editors nowadays ).

You'll surely understand the user will do it twice or three times and afterwards .... will loose patience.

Now we know what to do: .....make pressure to the editors to ask a whitelist at Norton .... what will their answer be: ... change your security system !

Stupid world we're living in now ! 

Bye and maybe for good.... I'm hesitating between deleting Norton from my PC at the end of subscription or right now ! and sure I will not be the only one..

Kudos0

Or you can report the false positive.

See this thread where bjm_ helped a user by submitting a file and got a quick reply that the file would no longer be detected.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/false-positive-governor-poker-2-p...

Kudos0

Already done and .... no change !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Email still in my inbox: date March 01 2017 ( for ams.exe by Reiza Studios for Automobilista )

How many time do we have to do that ? 100 times ??? as I'm surely not the only one to have done this submission.

There's something wrong somewhere or everywhere: we live in a world of communication ... but it seems that's no longer the case inside the offices or societies now ! 

NB: I always keep my important mails saved !

NB2: deleted as the message at the end of the message doesn't allow me to communicate it.

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication. Thank you.

Kudos0

There must be something in the code that triggers the Norton detection. Some behavior that resembles something that malware might do. 

Unless the developer gets the product whitelisted, each time a new version is sent out, it will have a new hash and will appear as a different product to the Norton Scans. If it exhibits the behavior of a possibly malicious program, it is going to get flagged.

Sorry if we are not giving you the answer you are looking for.

Kudos1 Stats

Blanchy Jean-Pierre:

If each time a exe is modified with a new version ( and it may sometimes happen more than once a month ) and each time this exe is brought in quarantine, that we have to restore it and we must ask to declare it for the same known editor as false positive .... I really don't need such a stupid Anti-Virus system or unable informaticians to find a more intelligent system.

What you describe is exactly the way polymorphic malware is able to avoid standard signature-based detection.  It is not unusual these days to have malware which morphs with each new installation, so that every infected system has a unique variant of the threat.  Far from being "stupid," the capability to prevent these types of mutating threats from successfully installing on machine after machine is essential for any antivirus program..

Kudos0

although what you said is true, you have to admit getting 5 "trojan8" viruses in the space of half an hour isn't ok, and is extremely annoying, especially if its a trusted and proven safe file.

Kudos0

Norton (windows 10  22.9.1.12) just removed my VPN!!

Reinstalled from https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/download_installer_win

Detected "Trojan.gen.8!cloud" in PIA_manager.exe.

Has to be a false positive!

Kudos0

You can report false positive indications here https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Kudos0

so back to again msi driver gets removed
and again trojan 8
and again its a new exe les than a week old
this is getting realy annoying

i use Norton over 10 years never had to do a thing
i am not going to report everthing every month over and over

dident mind this happing if it was some small indy software that no one uses

msi is one of the bigger software driver companys in the world
this shouldent happen .and yes i realy starting to consider removing Norton from my own pc en my hole famliy than aswel
becouse i am the one they cal if they have pc problems .
Norton is getting a real problem here with al the trojan gen8 false stuf
my Phone keeps ringing

it is your job to fix this not mine so no i dont send it in anymore

for years people ask me why i use Norton i Always needeed to defend it becouse ppl say its no good
they are starting to be true
it is complete garbage if this keeps happening

Kudos0

This has happened to me for over a year now. I trusted Norton, so I believed the findings and moved on with my work. I work in music and video and use many, many plug-ins. I store many of them on extra internal HDs and thumb drives. I keep the plug-in programs with their setup.exe files as back ups, ready to install in case of problems. Now I find Norton has been removing the setup.exe files as Trojen's, then when I go to restore them, it puts them in the wrong place...like my Documents start up folder. Sometimes there is no path for restoration. It just states that it was removed, but I can't restore it. These plug ins are very expensive $$$. My only option is to shut down Norton.  I am beyond angry with Norton.

Kudos0

Hello Joe65

Can you put these important plug-ins into a folder and put this folder into put them in a place where they should not be scanned. Please be  sure they are all are clean. Please put the files here.

Will doing this help any?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.