• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

"this extension may have been corrupted" error message in Toolbar extension after updating to Chrome v59

I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling the extension and repairing the extension but it remains corrupt.

Any way to fix this without uninstalling Norton Security?

I forgot to add the Chrome version.

Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: "this extension may have been corrupted" error message in Toolbar extension after updating to Chrome v59

Kudos1 Stats

Re: "this extension may have been corrupted" error message in Toolbar extension after updating to Chrome v59

I'm glad it is working for you but that doesn't help me.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I just did the install from the client link.... as test. 

btw ~ I'm still Chrome 58

Kudos0

I am wondering if it is only affecting me because I've updated to v59.x?

Kudos0

I just updated a second machine to Version 59.0.3071.86 and the toolbar is corrupt in Chrome on that machine now too.

Kudos1 Stats

After seeing your post, I checked my Chrome version and it updated from 58 to 59. I see the same thing with the Toolbar reporting it may be corrupt.

I see you have a Repair option. Does that do anything? I still only see the Enable box, but it is not working.

I'll try reinstalling to see if that helps.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks for letting us know about the issue. Can someone walk me through the steps they took? From the post, it sounds like:

1. update your system (which version of Windows?) with 22.9.4.8, the latest version
  2. Reboot if needed
  3. Check that the Norton toolbar v2017.0.0.8 is running properly on Google Chrome v58x
  4. Update Google Chrome browser to Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  5. restart Google Chrome, check Extensions

When checking extensions, the message "This extension may have been corrupted" appears. When clicking repair...(what happens?)

Thanks for you help while we research this issue.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

I tried Repair and it put the icon back but it disappeared again just as quick.

Seeing that Chrome is reportedly the most popular browser this could start impacting most Norton users over the next week or so while v59.x rolls out.

Kudos0

Tony_Weiss:

Thanks for letting us know about the issue. Can someone walk me through the steps they took? From the post, it sounds like:

1. update your system (which version of Windows?) with 22.9.4.8, the latest version
  2. Reboot if needed
  3. Check that the Norton toolbar v2017.0.0.8 is running properly on Google Chrome v58x
  4. Update Google Chrome browser to Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  5. restart Google Chrome, check Extensions

Thanks for you help while we research this issue.

Those are the correct steps to reproduce.

When checking extensions, the message "This extension may have been corrupted" appears. When clicking repair...(what happens?)

The toolbar icon disappears and the toolbar itself does not show.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

To clarify, you clicked "repair" and it put which icon back where? Any details about how it reappeared and then disappeared again are appreciated. Thanks. 

Kudos0

Tony_Weiss:
Krusty13:

To clarify, you clicked "repair" and it put which icon back where? Any details about how it reappeared and then disappeared again are appreciated. Thanks. 

I disappears quite quickly on my machines.

Kudos0

My machines are all Win10 x64 if it helps.

Kudos0

I'm having an awful time with Norton Security Toolbar and Identity Safe extensions in Google Chrome.  Right now, I disabled and trashed the Norton Security Toolbar in Chrome, because Chrome told me "it might have been corrupted."  Then, when I searched the Chrome Web Store for Norton Security Toolbar--the Search doesn't find it!  When I type in the name Norton, nothing even comes up.  What's up with that!?  Has Norton Security Toolbar been renamed?  Has Norton Identity Safe/Identity Safe been renamed?  Did Norton change those Extensions somehow?  Something's very goofy, if the Extensions don't show up in Search.

Another issue I'm having is that when I go to a web site for which I have stored login credentials, the Identity Safe extension isn't even opening!  So, I tried to delete and then reinstall it, and I have the same issue--it won't open and fill in the credentials!

Is anyone else having these difficulties?  It's terribly annoying!  I'm dead in the water without them!  Thanks.

Info:  I'm using Windows 10 Home 1703, OS Build 15063.332, and Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit); just updated Chrome not 15 minutes ago.  Thanks again.

Kudos2 Stats

My experience mirrors that of Krusty13.

I even went to the main NSBU GUI and clicked on Configure beside Toolbar where it indicated a Chrome issue. Still no change.

FWIW I reported this to Google through the Chrome browser.

Kudos0

Saganized

This seems to be an issue with the new Chrome version. Norton is on it. See this thread.  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-chrome-corrupt

Kudos0

peterweb, thanks.  And for the record, I also first noticed the "corruption" issue rear its ugly head on Version 58.  I didn't come to the Forum right away, because I thought it might only be a temporary thing--but apparently, it goes deeper than that.

Could you please do me the favor of letting the Developers know about my other issues noted?  (1) neither Extension is showing up in a Search on the Chrome Web Store, and (2) Identity Safe isn't opening for sites requiring login credentials.

(Is it possible the Devs removed the Extensions from the Chrome Web Store, to work on the problems?)

I would really appreciate it, thanks much.

Kudos0

peterweb...please disregard letting the Devs know about the issues...I just read all the comments in the Chrome Web Store, and see that there are many others having the same issues.  Anyway, thanks.

Kudos0

The ID Safe is tied into the Toolbar Extension, so when they get the Toolbar fixed, you should have ID Safe working again.

The extension not available in the Chrome store could also be an issue with the new version of Chrome. When you access the store from your Chrome, it may send the version number and if it feels the extension is not compatible, it may not show it.

Let's see what comes of fixing the main issue. Everything else may fall into place.

Kudos0

peterweb, I hope so.  Right now, I'm more confused than before.  I see these Extensions when I search the Chrome Web Store:  Norton Safe Web, Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton Safe Search (TWICE--apparently, it's the same version showing up twice), and Norton Security.

I know longer know which one(s) to use...that's a lot of Extensions for one browser!

Meanwhile, I have Norton Security 22.9.4.8 (with Identity Safe) on my desktop computer, and I use it with IE11.

I used to use Norton Security Toolbar and Identity Safe with Chrome...but now...?  Arrgh... 

Kudos0

i just updated chrome on win764bit, ns latest version, same result-toolbar corrupted

Kudos1 Stats

Go to https://identitysafe.norton.com/client.  These are the only extensions you need.  I only use the toolbar and ID Safe.

Kudos0

This exact same thing is happening to me on Windows 7 as well. I was updated to Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit) and my Norton Toolbar was corrupted. I have tried reinstalling it and all I get is an icon for a few seconds and then it disappears. If I leave the Norton application Norton Identity Safe page open while watching this happen it goes from showing on to being disabled again. 

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

I am running Windows 7 and just updated to Google Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit) and have the same corrupted Norton Security Toolbar 2017.0.0.8 extension.  I am currently in the wait queue with Norton Support Chat regarding this issue.  Has anyone spoken with Norton Support either by phone, chat or email regarding this issue ?

Kudos0

Symantec are aware of this issue and are looking into it.

Kudos0

I believe we just have to wait until the new update. It kinda sucks when i need to copy the password first from Norton app.

Kudos0

A new release of Chrome ( Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit) ) disables the Norton Toolbar.  When I try to re-enable it in settings/extensions it won't let me and says that the extension "This extension may have been corrupted."   I can go into Norton and reinstall the toolbar, but after a few minutes Chrome disables it, again.  The Norton Security Toolbar extension is version 2017.0.0.8.  I am running Norton Security version 22.9.4.8.

Kudos0

Symantec are aware of this problem and are looking into it - For more info please see Krusty13's thread https://community.norton.com/en/forums/extension-may-have-been-corrupted-error-message-toolbar-extension-after-updating-chrome-v59

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Also having the same problem with Norton Toolbar & Identity Safe with Google Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit) running on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Tried Norton Support but no resolution of problem.

Kudos0

Krusty13, thanks for the link.  While I am confident those products in the link are Norton's, I still have concerns.

1.  When I install Norton Security Toolbar (as in the link you provided) Version 2017.0.0.8, I am still seeing an error message in Chrome, "This extension may have been corrupted."

2.  I am NOT seeing Norton Security Toolbar in the Chrome Web Store.

3.  I AM seeing Norton Security, Version 7.4.0f166, Updated May 22, 2017.

4.  Perhaps not related; but very important nevertheless, I am still experiencing a problem where web sites which require login (eg, Facebook) are not triggering the Identity Safe extension to open.

Can you explain the first 3 discrepancies?  Which is actually "the correct one to use" with Windows 10, Chrome Version 59.0.3071.86--Norton Security Toolbar (NOT in the store), or Norton Security (IS IN the store)?  I'm sure you can see why I am still a bit confused over this.  Thanks.

Kudos1 Stats

As I pointed out above, the ID Safe is tied to the Toolbar extension. You can see for yourself if you go to Chrome extensions and click the trash can beside the 'may be corrupted' Toolbar extension. It will tell you that it will also disable or remove ID Safe.

For number 3, did you try to install that extension after first having trouble with the Toolbar extension? I did that myself thinking the description looked like it might be for the Toolbar. It was not. Just delete that.

Number 4 is related because the ID Safe extension is no longer enabled when the Toolbar extension if screwed up.

Until Norton and Google get their pieces together again, there is nothing we can do on our end. 

Kudos0

What I miss most is the Safe Web icons in search results.

Kudos0

peterweb, thanks.  Yes, I did try installing the Norton Security extension, only to find (like you did) that it wasn't what I needed.  Kind of funny they even put such an extension on the Store, isn't it?...it can be confusing.

I agree completely with your final two comments.  I worked with a Norton rep via chat a little while ago, and she told me "the engineers" are still "working on it" as well.  I suppose it's not Symantec's fault that Google decided to revise Chrome, huh.  LOL    Ah, well...gonna miss Chrome, because IE11 hasn't been "playing well" with Facebook for me over the past year or so.  When I use IE11, I can't even comment on posts; it "freezes" everything.  Microsoft has been totally useless in trying to resolve that issue, so I've given up on using IE11 with FB.  Chrome works; but with this "toolbar bug," now I'm stuck logging in manually (not using Identity Safe, that is).  Grrr.    I think we'd all better keep sharpened pencils handy..."Computer Network Armageddon" may be nearer than we think! 

Take care, and I'll visit again (when Live Update doesn't fix the Extensions problem...LOL).  Cheers, and thanks again. 

Kudos0

Ditto here.  All fine until i did the Chrome v59 update.  Steps above are correct.  I deleted the extension, started chrome fresh, installed extension, then same "corrupted" error.

Kudos0

hopefully it wont take long for the toolbar update

Kudos0

Is there a way to stop Chrome from auto updating? If so, how?

Kudos0

blue50moon:

hopefully it wont take long for the toolbar update

Or maybe Chrome to update. Who says it is Norton's fault?

Kudos0

I am having the same problem.When you run repair it dosent fix it !!! Anyone find out the fix for this problem yet ??

Accepted Solution
Kudos5 Stats

Hi everyone,

We've released a fix for this issue; Chrome will automatically update the Norton Security Toolbar to version 2017.0.0.9. If your Norton Security Toolbar extension is not at this version, you can type "chrome://extensions/" into your Google Chrome browser and click "Update extensions now". This will update the Norton Security Toolbar to version 2017.0.0.9. Thanks.

Kudos0

Thanks;  that did it.  It now works as before.

Kudos0

still dont have the toolbar.got the little icon on top but no green bar under neath the icon

I just reboot and the toolbar is back

Kudos0

Yes ladies and gentlemen it does definitely suck. Without boring you with detail having (sadly) ditched Firefox and installed for the nth time Chrome I was enjoying NIS and the vault working well FOR 9 HOURS ONLY. THEN.....goggle chrome did the dreaded update routine to Version 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit). Immediately after the update (I was lucky enough to be there) the design on the "updates" extensions " page (ie click on hamburger and select "settings" - all different) Not possible to install Norton Toolbar never mind use it, not possible to use ID Safe/Vault because without Norton Toolbar ID Safe/Vault not accessible.

Frankly the whole sitation is poo!!

Solution, uninstall Chrome (not a straight forward task by the way) use Firefox with all its drawbacks and write a NEW NORTON BROWSER " NOR_BROWSE " SAFEWEB" even have a competition to name it. IT WILL probably COST LESS MONEY AND TIME IN THE LONG RUN TO DO OUR OWN THING!!

No I am not mad but if I am - (no pasanada, Yo soy tranquillo) - (Don't worry - I'm cool about it)

On a slightly more serious note, why won't these browser nerds let us offer them an excellent security/password protection and web safety extension, written by experts in the web security area and proved "in the field" to work.

As they used to say in "Hill Street Blues" 

Be careful out  there

Regards

weeshus 

Kudos0

@weeshus - I'm sorry, I don't quite follow. In my reply 3 posts up, I've written that a fix is released and will update Chrome automatically.

Kudos0

Hi Tony, yes I accept what you say at the time that you said it.  BUT I was using 2017.0.0.9  when I "migrated to Google Chrome" this morning. At approx 16:00 Chrome was updated to 59.0.3071.86 (Official Build) (64-bit). It was after this that my Norton Toolbar 2017.0.0.9 stopped working AND as I say the design of the "updates" extensions " page (ie click on hamburger and select "settings") - all different. Not possible to install Norton Toolbar never mind use it, not possible to use ID Safe/Vault because without Norton Toolbar ID Safe/Vault not accessible.

I think the difference between us is only timing. The toolbar 2017.0.0.9 worked for me before the Google update to 59.03.3071.86 - it was only after update that it all went pear shaped.

Does this help?

Regards weeshus

Kudos0

@weeshus - it does, so you're saying your issue isn't this same issue, right?

Kudos0

Hello weeshus

Now that you have the correct Chrome Toolbar, can you try uninstalling the extension and restart, then install the new .009 Norton extension.? I think that your Chrome and Norton extension updated in the wrong order of things. Hope this works and is possible to do. I don't use Chrome.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi to Tony & Floplot,

Tony I am not not sure that I quite understand - Floplot I can not do any of the things that you ask unforunately - I completely uninstalled Google Chrome (not in a fit of pique I hasten to add) - it is just that I use my PC to help with living my life - I don't live my life to repair the problems created by those who are supposed to design programmes etc to make our lives easier . As an acid aside it is not for me to make the programme creators lives easier!

So I will continue with Firefox, even though it is less than perfect.

As a connected but not intrinsic part of ur problems : - I am sick of software companies who make cosmetic changes to their software without ensuring that their updates actually work, they do this without our permission and in most cases "fubar" our kit. Hence my suggestion that Norton write a browser whose first parameter is that ID Safe & Norton Vault seamlessly integrate with the browser.

Is it too much to ask - or are we destined to be ignored as a necessary inconvenience forever?

By the way check out the complaints on Chrome - their users aren't happy either

Kindest Regards

weeshus

Kudos0

Tony_Weiss, thanks, thanks, thanks.  Installed itself, and working good so far as I can see.  Again...thanks.  

Kudos0

OK guys - I give up! I reinstalled Chrome, followed Tony's advice and typed "chrome://extensions/" into into my Google Chrome browser and did not find "Update extensions now".. So in the interests of sanity I have given up - killed all open Chrome & Google processes  via task manager and uninstalled Chrome. I will probably stay with FireFox - can not possibly install the Creators Update - even less The Creators Fall Update released to Insiders. The thought of spending more time effort and energy to get what is in effect an updated Abacus does not appeal. So I will use LastPass for a password manager and "go home with my tail between my legs"

Have read the post from Saganised and am truly happy for him - guess it must be me

Thanks to all for suggestions & support

Regards

weeshus

Kudos2 Stats

Curious, did you check Developer mode

Kudos0

@weeshus - please see my screenshots below for enabling Developer mode first, then clicking "Update extensions now". I apologize for not clarifying. Google Chrome also automatically updates extensions periodically, so it would happen in its own too.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.