• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Long running script?

I'm still using I.E.11 on Win7, with ATT dsl, which is slow enough to begin with, but I keep getting a "long running script" message on several web pages, which eventually goes away, and allows the page to completely load. I have tried ALL the Microsoft fixes, except the ones the blame the firewall and/or virus software. I'm running Norton 360.

Do I have to exclude specific web pages from scanning? How do I do that?

Or exclude folders on the computer, under Norton settings?

Or is this still a Microsoft problem I just have to live with?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Long running script?

Hello cyberfish2

From whom do you get the messages?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NS with BackUp 22.10.1.10 I E 11
Kudos0

Many of the websites I use, att.net, for example. The sites eventually load. The delay is 10 to 30 seconds. My DSL speed is 5.3d and .65u, on good days. Any idea if Norton is causing this????

Kudos0

Can you post a screenshot of the message next time you see it. It will help us understand where the message is coming from.

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
https://community.norton.com/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

These may be ads trying to load. Maybe try installing an ad blocker extension in your browser.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I have Ad Blocker. I must not have it set up right, it's useless.

Kudos0

There's Ad Blocker and Ad Block Plus.

The latter is a better option.  https://adblockplus.org/

Windows 10 X64 Creators Update
Kudos0

THIS COMMENT DOES NOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!!!

"xxx not responding due to a long running script...." where xxx is a site/program.

Has anyone found a permanent fix for this?

1. It seems to occur on vista, win 7, and win 8 -- at least (recently reported on win 10 also). xxx is the name of some software app (eg, yahoo).

2. It eventually affects ALL browsers on the same machine (not just IE; other browser have slightly different messages). This took many months for me.

3. It started off mainly on one site, but now affects all. Again, took many months.

4. Once it starts failing, it rapidly gets worse and the computer slows down for all tasks (even non network).

5. If the computer is not used for a while, the problem is not immediately evident once it starts up again. (But at least one victim reported that it only occurred for him at startup.)

6. It seems to affect various machine models. (I am using dell inspiron, but there have been reports of it
occurring on an HP machine.)

7. The option to kill the script does not work very well for IE; Firefox seems to respond to the 'script kill option' better.

8. Dell Support Assist reports that my hardware seems fine; it has been reported with various AVs: I use Norton Security. I have run all of the Norton AV s/w.

It may well start out as a problem with a particular site and/or browser.  For many months that was true for me. HOWEVER, it eventually spread on that computer to virtually all sites and browsers-- also, my computer has drastically slowed down for non-internet related activities.  I have a second computer which works just fine.  If it is a virus, it has so far gone unreported and undetected by various AVs, eg, Norton Security.

Kudos0

THIS COMMENT DOES NOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!!!

Which comment are you referring to? 

If it is something affecting the browsers, and you have tried ad blockers and multiple AVs with no luck, I would suggest a second opinion scan using the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You can find it here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Be sure you do not accept the offer of the free trial of the Premium version.

Kudos0

It's not a virus

It's PAGE BLOAT

WIN 7 work around: open Task Manager,

Processes tab, check Show processes from all users, alternately sort high to low on

CPU and Memory,

note what Image Name is using the most, browser processes are the  usual offenders,

Trial and error. Often "End Process" of a browser instance closes NO tab, just some background (invisible hog). Sometime ending one closes all the browser tabs.

Peek at the network tab for high traffic and the in/out ratio matches what you are doing.

Switch to alternate browser, or not. Try the page(s) again. Many pages have a repertoire of ad, link, drop down, scroll, auto-play muted default hi-def video, image gallery and background content--like being dealt a hand from a deck of cards, some face down. are losers.

See Parkinson's Law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law and Memory Hole (disambiguation) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_hole_(disambiguation)

Kudos0

You might also try clearing all browser caches

Kudos0

Fbgnarm:

It's not a virus

It's PAGE BLOAT

Switch to alternate browser, or not. Try the page(s) again. Many pages have a repertoire of ad, link, drop down, scroll, auto-play muted default hi-def video, image gallery and background content--like being dealt a hand from a deck of cards, some face down. are losers.

See Parkinson's Law https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law

"Modern browsers are fast, we need to add more animations to this page and background javascript checking where the mouse pointer is once every 20ms (we forgot why), and we need memory leaks, also the contact us link is at the bottom, but the page scrolls forever with new articles it's impossible to reach the bottom. Also we need videos that aren't about what you are reading that take up 1/4 of the page and scroll down the page with you and can't be closed, paused, or muted." -- most websites these days. Ugh...

Disabling all ads on a page does wonders.

Also the wiki link was fascinating.